The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Still gotta digest this one, but this kid scored a TON of goals. A bunch of assists too. I love offense so I think I am going to come to like this pick, but I really didn't see it coming.

The mock drafts were basically just about all dead wrong. Clearly the offensive talent was in demand. Johansen and Nino going 4-5 sent things into a tizzy, and then with Connolly going 6, it was grab a forward before they're gone time. Fowler and Gormley go 12 and 13, wow. If only we could have somehow traded the kitchen sink to get to #13, but that was probably unrealistic.

I can't help but lament one more time. One less win and we could have had Conolly. We shall see if his hip ends up being an issue. Can't help think JR might have been laying in the weeds hoping that non interview might have helped him slip to us.

Hopefully Skinner's eye popping productivity will keep up through to the NHL.

I wish I knew his real dern height and weight. One place says 159 as if he's been living in a 3rd world country off rice and others have him being 200. What's right? It's a fairly big difference in my opinion lol.

With how many defensive prospects we already had finding Staal a future buddy was the way to go. So I agree with that, if he's really 5-10 though. I'm kinda baffled on JR wanting size one year and keeps going with midgets in his acquistions.

Wonder what it is about Skinner's skating that tempered the central scouting scouts on him. Ranked #34 of N. American skaters despite his mega goal scoring. Also, interesting factoid, apparently Skinner had a part in the movie "Death to Smoochy".

I wish I knew his real dern height and weight. One place says 159 as if he's been living in a 3rd world country off rice and others have him being 200. What's right? It's a fairly big difference in my opinion lol.

With how many defensive prospects we already had finding Staal a future buddy was the way to go. So I agree with that, if he's really 5-10 though. I'm kinda baffled on JR wanting size one year and keeps going with midgets in his acquistions.

In the NHL Prospect Feature it says he weighs 197.

I'm with Legend, and I've gone on record as a non-smurf guy.  But Skinner looked more the size and build of a guy like the Juice.  A super-smurf so to speak.

One thing that was eyepopping to me in an off-ice perspective was Skinner's family.  Both parents lawyers and daughters at Harvard and Cornell.  The kid comes from some good genes.

I really hoped we could have moved up and taken Tisordi or Pysyk, but we still have 10 picks.

No forward we pick at 7 will be playing on the 1st line, let alone a guy like Skinner (terrible pick at 7 anyway).  I would be willing to bet that the most we see out of our 7 pick would possibly be 10 games before he has to go back to his junior team, and that's only if he wows in training camp.  Also there is no guarantee that any of the 3 defenseman will be available at 7, it is very unlikely at this point, we'll be extremely lucky if Gormley is there.

Whitney won't be coming back, thankfully it seems like JR learned from the mistake that was Cole's contract and won't overpay to keep Whitney here.  

I would just like to point this out as I got hammered for thinking about drafting Skinner at 12, needless to say 7.

I am totally for trying to get Petrovic or Johns with one of the 2nd rounder.

In the transcript pdf linked from the frontpage, Skinner says he is 190 lbs, 5'10".

What that tells me that he tried to use all three 2nd round picks means that no one is interested in cole, sammi, or another player that JR is willing to part with.  If they were it wouldnt take all three 2nd rounders to get back up there.  Looks like we are stuck with their salaries.

JR definitely wants a dman in this next round - who's still left? Maybe Johnathan Merrill? I'm pretty surprised he is still on the board. Maybe Alexander Petrovic?

I was pissed we didn't move up and get either Fowler or Gormley, or even Forbort, Pysyk, or Tinordi.  If the tried to use all the second rounders and nobody bit then fine.  Otherwise, he blew it.  Can someone post a link verifying he tried to use all those second rounders?

Edit:  Okay, I read the N&O article about trying to work deals.  Still sticks in my craw though.  

So, I went to bed, and had this dream that 2 of the big 3 D fell to #7. Then JR & crew went skipping up to the podium & picked.................a Smurf. I believe brainy was his name. JR turned into Gargamel & began to laugh as thunder & lighting formed in the background....& then I woke up.

Nothing against Skinner, but I was in shock most of last night. I couldn't even bring myself to get online. This kid is going to score a ton of goals. Best hands, and is the best natural goal scorer in the draft. Those are qualities you can't teach. Maybe he will turn into hefty smurf. He really needs to get bigger & faster. He also needs to work on his commitment to D.

Now don't get me wrong I like Skinner, I just didn't have him above Fowler, or Gormley. But any kid who can score 50 goals in a season at the OHL, and then turn around & score 20 more goals in 20 games in the playoffs is going to bring a smile to my face. I love offense.

Read this link into JR thinking last night:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com...s.htm?id=532861&navid=DL|CAR|home

I was pissed we didn't move up and get either Fowler or Gormley, or even Forbort, Pysyk, or Tinordi.  If the tried to use all the second rounders and nobody bit then fine.  Otherwise, he blew it.  Can someone post a link verifying he tried to use all those second rounders?

Edit:  Okay, I read the N&O article about trying to work deals.  Still sticks in my craw though.  

That's what I meant by kitchen sink. Pull a Ditka. Trade the entire rest of the draft, Sammy and next year's 3rd rounder to get up and get Fowler or Gormley. But at least he tried. But then he tried to trade Whitney too. In fairness not a lot of deals happen, and the other teams had to be licking their chops that they were going to get these guys so late.

So, I went to bed, and had this dream that 2 of the big 3 D fell to #7. Then JR & crew went skipping up to the podium & picked.................a Smurf. I believe brainy was his name. JR turned into Gargamel & began to laugh as thunder & lighting formed in the background....& then I woke up.

Nothing against Skinner, but I was in shock most of last night. I couldn't even bring myself to get online. This kid is going to score a ton of goals. Best hands, and is the best natural goal scorer in the draft. Those are qualities you can't teach. Maybe he will turn into hefty smurf. He really needs to get bigger & faster. He also needs to work on his commitment to D.

Now don't get me wrong I like Skinner, I just didn't have him above Fowler, or Gormley. But any kid who can score 50 goals in a season at the OHL, and then turn around & score 20 more goals in 20 games in the playoffs is going to bring a smile to my face. I love offense.

Read this link into JR thinking last night:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com...s.htm?id=532861&navid=DL|CAR|home

I just hope that the Cane's scouts and brass are far smarter than central scouting. If he's build like a Recci that would be fine. If he's NHL ready that would be amazing for a guy ranked so low.

For what it's worth, i've stood next to jason karmanos, and at 5'7/5'8 we were same in height. I saw Skinner stand in front of him, and they were the same height. I was shocked they didn't get Fowler, but no way will i hate on them for getting the best scorer in the draft. Hopefullly he could be a mike cammerelli type player in the near future.

I'm somewhat on the fence about Skinner playing for the big club next season.  I must say, though, that he doesn't have much else to prove in the juniors.

Trust me Skinner was the guy to pick. I have season tickets to the Kitchener Rangers and have seen this kid play every game of his career in Kitchener and awesome player! However he probably will be staying another year in Kitchener but this guy can score wherever on the ice. Looks like a Jordan Eberle Mike Richards mix. Speedy, good hands, determination, good shot.

for those worried about drafting small players, not to scare you but there will be an every smaller guy in next year's draft. There is a 5'4 (no typo)finnish player that has almost a 2 PPG average. There is even a 5'8 Dman from sweden.

I think you guys are way too high on Fowler. 10+ teams passed him over for a reason. I'm very glad JR didn't waste a pick on him. The guy is marshmallow soft, plays very poor defense, etc. We're all full, thanks. If you've EVER complained about the defensive skills or lack of physical play out of Corvo or Pitkanen, you should be glad Rutherford didn't take Fowler. Gormley...that's the guy they should have taken if they were able to acquire another 1st rounder last night. If you let McGuires rant get to you, you got taken. McGuire went on a 5 minute rant about Fowler being passed over when the Rangers took McIlrath. ( It was a STOOPID pick) but McGuire couldn't handle so many teams passing over the guy he was so high on. He's an idiot.

I think that is why a bunch of GM's passed on Fowler as well.  They are a bunch of old school cro-mags who would rather take a guy like McIlrath because he is "tough and mean."

It appears from what Rutherford is saying we will give Skinner a legitimate chance to make the team in training camp. My guess is he is still a year or two away but you never know. He will be exciting to watch. Now I guess we go shopping for D-men in round two.