The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

[quote name='remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac']I was pissed we didn't move up and get either Fowler or Gormley, or even Forbort, Pysyk, or Tinordi.  If the tried to use all the second rounders and nobody bit then fine.  Otherwise, he blew it.  Can someone post a link verifying he tried to use all those second rounders?

Edit:  Okay, I read the N&O article about trying to work deals.  Still sticks in my craw though.  

That's what I meant by kitchen sink. Pull a Ditka. Trade the entire rest of the draft, Sammy and next year's 3rd rounder to get up and get Fowler or Gormley. But at least he tried. But then he tried to trade Whitney too. In fairness not a lot of deals happen, and the other teams had to be licking their chops that they were going to get these guys so late.

I agree, but after Gormley was gone we could have at least explored the possibility of getting a guy like Forbort, Pysyk, or Tinordi.  Anyway, its done and I'm okay with Skinner.  It appears his frame is at least well developed for a super-smurf.  50 goals at Kitchener and 20 more in the playoffs.....hmmm...that's hard to ignore. 

Looks like we will be in defense rebuild mode forever (sigh).  The Canes are high on Dumoulin so let's hope he can develop as quickly as McBain.

Go Canes!

It appears from what Rutherford is saying we will give Skinner a legitimate chance to make the team in training camp. My guess is he is still a year or two away but you never know. He will be exciting to watch. Now I guess we go shopping for D-men in round two.

If he makes the team, we are definitely going to need to move Sammy and not resign Whitney. I  was thinking Nino or Connolly, but maybe this guy will become our first line winger. Probably not next year, but if we go full on youth, maybe sooner than later.

I'd prefer Jeff Daniels got to coach him up on being a professional for a year before trying to insert him into the lineup. On the flip side if JR outright says hey your going to the minors it doesn't give Skinner anything to mentally work for. I think he's going to need the AHL just to figure out how to play against a league of people alot bigger then him. I dont think anyone in that body frame can just walk into the NHL and win board scrums.

well with those genes, he wont take any dumb  penalties...  now lets go  for the defense.. draft starts at 1    today.. right now...22 forwards    6  densemen  taken in first round

I'd prefer Jeff Daniels got to coach him up on being a professional for a year before trying to insert him into the lineup. On the flip side if JR outright says hey your going to the minors it doesn't give Skinner anything to mentally work for. I think he's going to need the AHL just to figure out how to play against a league of people alot bigger then him. I dont think anyone in that body frame can just walk into the NHL and win board scrums.

I thought I heard something yesterday about him either having to return to Kitchener or make the team. Sounded like he couldn't play in AHL for some reason. Of course, I could just be hearing things, so I don't know.

justin  faulk, good under 18  def man.. committed to minn-duluth, good offensive rushing dman,  rutherford smiled after pick, must really like him

re Skinner needing to grow:

5'10" 195 is not a small frame.  

Mark Recchi is listed at exactly 5'10", 195.

Guys like Larose are weighing in at 180.

[quote name='Stealth-ch1 wrote:

legend-1']

I thought I heard something yesterday about him either having to return to Kitchener or make the team. Sounded like he couldn't play in AHL for some reason. Of course, I could just be hearing things, so I don't know.

I think he has to be 20 or have 4 years experience in lesser league to move to the AHL.  So I think it is make the big club or go back to Kitchener.

Somebody who knows about this better than I do will have to tell us.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

Stealth-ch1 wrote:

legend-1']

I think he has to be 20 or have 4 years experience in lesser league to move to the AHL.  So I think it is make the big club or go back to Kitchener.

Somebody who knows about this better than I do will have to tell us.

Skinner won't be playing for Jeff Daniels anytime soon.  OBX'r is exactly right.  The agreement between the CHL and NHL have players going to the AHL with at least 4 years of experience or 20 years old.

Former first round pick of  EDM. 21st overall in 2007. He is Currently playing at Cornell (ECAC).

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/riley_nash

He is listed as the third highest Edm. prospect.

Is that good?  hehe

Well, from HockeysFuture.com's rating system, Nash has potential.  He's rated 7.5 C (their explaination: 7 - Second line forward / No. 3-4 defenseman / journeyman No. 1 goaltender -- players not quite good enough to play on the top line or pairing on a regular basis, but still possessing enough talent to contribute offensively, defend with some authority, or competently play the goaltender's position for long stretches. Think Andrew Cassels, Jason Arnott, Darryl Sydor, Keith Carney, Dwayne Roloson, Jeff Hackett

C - May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.)  - for those lazy folks who don't want to click the hyperlink.

OK, so they are taking time away from the draft to announce that Hall was taken first overall... something that anyone who cares will already know at this point.  THEN, they take time away from the draft to interview him?  Isn't there plenty of time from tomorrow to the beginning of the season for stuff like post-draft interviews... why does it have to happen while the draft is still going on?  This is pathetic.

Levi was a great 3rd round pick. Rated top 55 skater.

Still wish we would have got Johns with our last 2nd rounder.

Big question, how many more D man are we going to draft? 4 Dmen and one C/RW so far and traded for a C.

Rutherford was grinning like a Chesire cat in that interview.  Stay tuned folks, the man said some trades will happen in the later rounds.  I really like that we at least got Faulk.  All the video on him I've watched show he's got a monster shot.  Biega is rumored to be a real bruiser.  Scratching my head on the Alt pick though.