The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

man people already misspell Staal.  Now add another Stahl to the mix and people are really going to get confused in a couple of seasons with the Staal brothers and Stahl on the roster.

So we have drafted the best pure goal scorer in the draft.

Added 5 Defensemen, a LW in the fourth round, and traded for two former first round picks...And we still are not done.

Edit: Added Jared Staal with for a 5th rounder as well. Just added Goalie FREDERIK ANDERSEN in the 7th.

Wow! I'm happy! smile.gif I'm over the 2 D that we didn't take at #7

Check out more on Skinner:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532893

So we got a guy named Stahl... Tyler Stahl.  Wouldn't know it watching this so called Draft coverage on NHLN.
Haha yea I just caught that too in passing while checking up on some of the other guys we've gotten. This draft coverage is just plain miserable. I know the picks are coming in quick, but they're treating it as if it's already over. They've given up on letting us know who's picked and what they think of them.

[quote name='Stealth-ch1 wrote:

jb_online']So we got a guy named Stahl... Tyler Stahl.  Wouldn't know it watching this so called Draft coverage on NHLN.

Haha yea I just caught that too in passing while checking up on some of the other guys we've gotten. This draft coverage is just plain miserable. I know the picks are coming in quick, but they're treating it as if it's already over. They've given up on letting us know who's picked and what they think of them.

Well don't turn the channel, they are going to interview Wayne Gretzky's brother on the mating rituals of the Brazilian red bellied parrot next.

Matsumoto, 23, completed his third full season of professional hockey in 2009-10,
leading the American Hockey League’s Adirondack Phantoms with 30 goals and 62 points
while playing in all 80 of the team’s regular-season games. The Ottawa, Ont., native has amassed 81 goals and 92 assists (173 points) in 251 AHL regular-season games with the Flyers’ affiliates. Prior to turning professional, Matsumoto (6’0”, 190lbs.) played three seasons at Bowling Green University, scoring 49 goals and earning 64 assists in 110 games. The Flyers drafted Matsumoto in the third round, 79th overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

We gave up the 206th overall pick (7th round) for the top scorer of the Flyers' AHL team?!  Something just doesn't sound right here... am I missing something?

Canes Acquire Jonathan Matsumoto from Flyers

Typical JR moves, hoping he can turn chicken into steak.  One of  these guys might work out, but I like Sanguinetti's chances the most.  But, I'll admit I don't know too much about Matsumoto.  I drifted over to the Rangers boards for a while and they all ready have about an 8-page thread going.  Seems alot just don't like the guy, some just think their current GM doesn't like him because he didn't originally pick him, and others are miffed they gave up on him so soon.

I hope JR can pull off another Juice-like resurrection with one of these guys though.

Typical JR moves, hoping he can turn chicken into steak.  One of  these guys might work out, but I like Sanguinetti's chances the most.  But, I'll admit I don't know too much about Matsumoto.  I drifted over to the Rangers boards for a while and they all ready have about an 8-page thread going.  Seems alot just don't like the guy, some just think their current GM doesn't like him because he didn't originally pick him, and others are miffed they gave up on him so soon.

I hope JR can pull off another Juice-like resurrection with one of these guys though.

You never know. I'm much more confident in the picks and moves he did at this years draft then last years.

[quote name='Blinding wrote:

coastal_caniac']

You never know. I'm much more confident in the picks and moves he did at this years draft then last years.

Last year we didn't have 11 picks.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

Blinding wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Last year we didn't have 11 picks.

Okay? Last year we were going for size and kinda shoving everything else into the corner, compared to this year where skill and character were the reasoning behind who we drafted. Yeah, we wouldn't have gotten some of the guys we now have if we didn't have 11 picks, but I doubt that would've changed what JR was looking for, and that's what makes me confident in the players we got over the last two days, more-so then the ones we got at last years draft. :l

Let's see what the team can do with the acquired former first rounders (Tlusty, Sanguinetti, and Nash), and our own this year (Skinner).  Sounds like Nash will be targeted to fill the gap at center - we'll see.  With this group, plus our own prior picks of Sutter and Boychuk, there is room for some optimism, with Matsumoto as an added non first rounder.

I hope Sanguinetti is ready, and replaces Picard.  Let's face it, our D still needs an upgrade and the newly drafted 2nd and 3rd rounders won't be the answer this year.

On to Thursday and free agency for more answers and questions....

Aww man, came in late and saw the name Nash being thrown around and said holy crap really? No...no Riley Nash. I like the fact that what we did today was obtain NHL ready prospects versus full fledged projects and not only NHL ready but 1st rounders it ensures hope that we intend to spend a shorter time rebuilding.  Also if even a few of these guys have career years it provides very low salary to work with to let us obtain someone next free agency and maybe make a much sooner push for the cup then anyone anticipated.

Hey Legend, what did you think of that 6'4" goalie we drafted?

1. I think if lays sideways he'd have a 2.00 career GAA smile.gif

2. He's got a helluva road to overcome, our goaltending depth is nothing to shake a stick at.

To make a serious comment, I have almost nothing to go by. Never seen em, I love goalies but when you come out of Denmark the only thing I can assume is he wears wooden clogs for skates.

I'm intrigued by this Alt kid.  I'm also tickled by this quote from Branecky's log:  "Hockey people often use the quarterback analogy to describe players who are adept at running the point on the power play. With Alt being an actual quarterback, there’s hope that he can be such a player at the NHL level."

Probably just my football bias.  Or maybe his size.(6'3" 199).

Sounds like he has a lot of growing to do.  Playing in High Schools sounds "too easy" for him.