The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Mikael Granlund, "I don't want to compare me to anyone else, I just want to be myself" - I like that mentality.

In regards to Connolly, I'm not too excited about drafting someone who could be the next Justin Williams (I mean Williams from his last 2 seasons) - someone who is great when on the ice but is too injury prone to play a full season.  So I'd go with Niederreiter, too.  But I'd give Granlund some serious thought.

Granlund is listed at 5-10 around 170-175. Which means he's not a hair taller than 5-9. This is NOT what the Canes need, more small guys. Period.

At the 7 spot, there will be WAY better options.

2 teams tha could add salaries and will need wingers and a Dman that have a pick we could be interested in: Phoenix and Anahiem

Both have 2 1st rounders 12 and 29 for ANA and 13 and 22 for PHX.

ANA getting Cole, Babs, and 37th pick for 12th pick or cole, babs, and 53rd pick for 29th and lower round pick

Cole, Babs, and 53rd pick for PHX's 22.

I hate trading the 37th pick as we may be able to pluck a 2nd round steal like Dalpe. If we could grab a guy like Skinner who is a pure scoring center that we could move to wing would be worth it.

Could add another Finnish player with the 22, Teemu Pulkkinen

Could add a whole bunch of different guys at 12

Could add 2 dmen Petrovic or Johns at 29

Samsonov could be moved for a 4th rounder to which ever to the other top 2 teams didnt get cole.

Another move could be Rosie to Edmonton for rights to C Gagner and a 5th. Gagner will need to be re-signed. We do need a younger center and rosie will get paid a decent salary this season and next. Gagner wont be cheap but a future top winger and dmen are the priority in the draft. Or if JR doesnt want to take that risk there are a couple of other teams that could use a 3rd line winger and could bring a decent D man prospect

draft options

7- Top 3 dman

12- Skinner

7- Nino

29- Petrovic

7- Top 3 dman

22- Pulkkinen

my ideal lineup (with samsonov and cole gone whitney re-signing is a go)

Whitney-Staal-Skinner

Ruutu-Sutter-Jokinen

Boychuk-Gagner-Tlusty (really could be the 2nd line with the scoring they could do)

Brindy/checker-Dwyer-Kstop

Pitkanen-McBain

Top 3 guy- Gleason

Harrison/Picard/Carson/Checker

This is a rather cheap lineup especially with brindy retired. I think this offensive lineup could be very competitive. The top 2 lines would be good on D but the third would be a liability.

From Paul's TTS Blog:

On each weekday between now and the first round of the NHL Entry Draft on June 25, we'll be profiling one of 10 players who could be chosen with the seventh overall pick by Carolina.  Also see:

Hurricanes Draft History

Draft Profile #1: Alexander Burmistrov

burmistrov_1_thumb.jpg

Draft Needs Checklist:

1. TOP 3 D-MAN  Burmistrov

2.  NO SMURFS   Burmistrov

.....Next

Note: 13 Days and counting to the NHL Draft yahoo.gif 

2 teams tha could add salaries and will need wingers and a Dman that have a pick we could be interested in: Phoenix and Anahiem

Both have 2 1st rounders 12 and 29 for ANA and 13 and 22 for PHX.

ANA getting Cole, Babs, and 37th pick for 12th pick or cole, babs, and 53rd pick for 29th and lower round pick

Cole, Babs, and 53rd pick for PHX's 22.

I hate trading the 37th pick as we may be able to pluck a 2nd round steal like Dalpe. If we could grab a guy like Skinner who is a pure scoring center that we could move to wing would be worth it.

Could add another Finnish player with the 22, Teemu Pulkkinen

Could add a whole bunch of different guys at 12

Could add 2 dmen Petrovic or Johns at 29

Samsonov could be moved for a 4th rounder to which ever to the other top 2 teams didnt get cole.

Another move could be Rosie to Edmonton for rights to C Gagner and a 5th. Gagner will need to be re-signed. We do need a younger center and rosie will get paid a decent salary this season and next. Gagner wont be cheap but a future top winger and dmen are the priority in the draft. Or if JR doesnt want to take that risk there are a couple of other teams that could use a 3rd line winger and could bring a decent D man prospect

draft options

7- Top 3 dman

12- Skinner

7- Nino

29- Petrovic

7- Top 3 dman

22- Pulkkinen

Whitney-Staal-Skinner

Ruutu-Sutter-Jokinen

Boychuk-Gagner-Tlusty (really could be the 2nd line with the scoring they could do)

Pitkanen-McBain

Top 3 guy- Gleason

Harrison/Picard/Carson/Checker

This is a rather cheap lineup especially with brindy retired. I think this offensive lineup could be very competitive. The top 2 lines would be good on D but the third would be a liability.

I'm not sure if you have any concept of the trade value of the picks/players mentioned....the thought that Chad LaRose is worth Sam Gagner AND a pick is utterly ridiculous.  The fact that he is an RFA has no bearing on his trade value.  

No forward we pick at 7 will be playing on the 1st line, let alone a guy like Skinner (terrible pick at 7 anyway).  I would be willing to bet that the most we see out of our 7 pick would possibly be 10 games before he has to go back to his junior team, and that's only if he wows in training camp.  Also there is no guarantee that any of the 3 defenseman will be available at 7, it is very unlikely at this point, we'll be extremely lucky if Gormley is there.

Whitney won't be coming back, thankfully it seems like JR learned from the mistake that was Cole's contract and won't overpay to keep Whitney here.  

Teemu Pulkkinen is a really talented player, he will be a big name in the near future. 6 games and 10 goals and  5 assists total of 15 points in U-18 World junior championships this year, hattrick at bronze medal game against Russia.

I'm not sure if you have any concept of the trade value of the picks/players mentioned....the thought that Chad LaRose is worth Sam Gagner AND a pick is utterly ridiculous.  The fact that he is an RFA has no bearing on his trade value.  

No forward we pick at 7 will be playing on the 1st line, let alone a guy like Skinner (terrible pick at 7 anyway).  I would be willing to bet that the most we see out of our 7 pick would possibly be 10 games before he has to go back to his junior team, and that's only if he wows in training camp.  Also there is no guarantee that any of the 3 defenseman will be available at 7, it is very unlikely at this point, we'll be extremely lucky if Gormley is there.

Your right he has no bearing sense we just got Jared Staal, a 2nd rounder, for a 5th round pick.  NO bearing though.  And a 5th doesnt have much value.  It would just be a little insurance in case he doesnt sign.  But obviously I have zero idea what im talking about mr hockey gm.

Ok your right so everyone if crazy to think getting Nino would play 1st line if we pick him up at at 7.  Jokinen is a good 1st line guy but who else would beat out Boychuk or a 7th pick for a first line job?  Larose?  Ruutu?  I dont think so on either as they are great hustle players but arent much on the scoreboard.  Also, I would recommend reading a post before you tearing it apart.  I never said draft Skinner at 7.  I recommended it him at 12 where some mock drafts have him at.  Heck he put up 90 points in 64 games last season.  I know that wont also transfer but it shows he has a scoring touch. 

Lots of mock drafts have Pulkinnen going in the early to mid 2nd round, so there is a chance the Hurricanes could still get him at #37.

I think he will be a amazing second round pick, he was a year ago in second overall rank in 2010 draft but dropped in ranking due the injury he had on his wrist, but now he is at full health.

[quote name=gocanes0506 wrote:

Your right he has no bearing sense we just got Jared Staal, a 2nd rounder, for a 5th round pick.  NO bearing though.  And a 5th doesnt have much value.  It would just be a little insurance in case he doesnt sign.  But obviously I have zero idea what im talking about mr hockey gm.

That is a really bad example.  Jared Staal was not an RFA, he has never had a contract before, he is a prospect.  He has played 0 games at the professional level, so teams do not know what they will get from him.  He never should have been a 2nd round pick in the first place, the only reason he was taken that high was because of his last name.  He is by far the worst of the brothers, and apparently has motivation issues.  He does not have the skill that his brothers do and is skating is not good at all.  He projects to be a 3rd liner at best in the NHL.  The Coyotes realized this, and Carolina took advantage of the opportunity to get a Staal brother for very little.  You would really need to find a better comparison, an RFA who has actually played in the NHL, like Gagner has for 3 years.  Also a 5th rounder wouldn't be insurance incase he doesn't sign, the insurance would be the fact that he is an RFA so if he doesn't sign we get compensation based on how much the another team signs him for.  A team wouldn't trade for an RFA if they didn't know that they could sign him, but if an RFA was traded for, and  priced himself out of what we were going to pay him, we would be getting a 1st rounder and more in compensation from another team.  Or worst case scenario, you go to arbitration and he plays for us.  

And if you can't see why Edmonton wouldn't accept LaRose for Gagner, ask yourself this.  If we were offered Pascal Dupuis for Brandon Sutter, would you accept? 
gocanes0506 wrote:

Ok your right so everyone if crazy to think getting Nino would play 1st line if we pick him up at at 7.  Jokinen is a good 1st line guy but who else would beat out Boychuk or a 7th pick for a first line job?  Larose?  Ruutu?  I dont think so on either as they are great hustle players but arent much on the scoreboard.  Also, I would recommend reading a post before you tearing it apart.  I never said draft Skinner at 7.  I recommended it him at 12 where some mock drafts have him at.  Heck he put up 90 points in 64 games last season.  I know that wont also transfer but it shows he has a scoring touch. 

How many past 7th overall picks have played in the NHL straight out of their draft year, let alone on the 1st line?  Let's take a look at the past 5 7th overall picks.  Last year Kadri went back to juniors, 2008 Collin Wilson went to Boston University, 2007 Voracek went back to juniors, 2006 Kyle Okposo went to the University of Minnesota, 2005 Jack Skille went to the University of Wisconsin.  People need to lower their expectations in thinking that our pick at 7 will seamlessly jump right on to our 1st line next year.  We've never had true 1st line wingers, that won't start next year. 

gocanes0506 wrote:

Whitney-Staal-Skinner

Ruutu-Sutter-Jokinen

gocanes0506]
  Also, I would recommend reading a post before you tearing it apart.  I never said draft Skinner at 7.  I recommended it him at 12 where some mock drafts have him at.  Heck he put up 90 points in 64 games last season.  I know that wont also transfer but it shows he has a scoring touch. 
I did read your post, and was responding to your idea of putting Skinner on the 1st line next year. My point was that no one we draft, at 7 or 12, will be in our lineup next year (7 pick may start the year here for 10 games), let alone the 1st line and definitely not a guy like Skinner.  My bad for switching 7 and 12.

Also, LaRose scored 117 points in 67 games when he played in the OHL.  Stats are not everything.  

ok here is another example for you:

Nashville traded 2 RFAs to Philly for a 1st rounder.  Timonen and Hartnell for a 23rd pick which happened to be there own pick to start with.  Nashville knew they couldn't re-sign them both.  Timonen had 55 points and Hartnell had 39 points that season.   Does that tell you the amount of value a RFAs has when they cant be re-signed?

Of course i would take dupuis for sutter.  Any other really dumb suggestions  Dont you think edmonton would take something instead of nothing?  They tried the offer sheet on RFAs thing and saw how they got hammered on in the media with Vanek and then the results as they owed ANA for penner for a while and wasnt worth it.

Successful 7th picks Komisarek, Lupul, Suter, Olesz, Price.

Komisarek didnt make the roster right away but he is a Dman

Lupul made the Ducks roster the next season

Same for Suter but once again a dman

Made the roster first year out of Czech

Price just made the roster but he was goalie. 

7th pick is no top 5 but it doesnt mean they cant make the roster. 

I know that stats dont always transfer.  This is why I said stats dont always transfer. 

ok here is another example for you:

Nashville traded 2 RFAs to Philly for a 1st rounder.  Timonen and Hartnell for a 23rd pick which happened to be there own pick to start with.  Nashville knew they couldn't re-sign them both.  Timonen had 55 points and Hartnell had 39 points that season.   Does that tell you the amount of value a RFAs has when they cant be re-signed?

Of course i would take dupuis for sutter.  Any other really dumb suggestions  Dont you think edmonton would take something instead of nothing?  They tried the offer sheet on RFAs thing and saw how they got hammered on in the media with Vanek and then the results as they owed ANA for penner for a while and wasnt worth it.

Successful 7th picks Komisarek, Lupul, Suter, Olesz, Price.

Komisarek didnt make the roster right away but he is a Dman

Lupul made the Ducks roster the next season

Same for Suter but once again a dman

Made the roster first year out of Czech

Price just made the roster but he was goalie. 

7th pick is no top 5 but it doesnt mean they cant make the roster. 

I know that stats dont always transfer.  This is why I said stats dont always transfer. 

You know what, you're right.  You should call up "JK" and take his job....

gocanes0506 wrote:

Of course i would take dupuis for sutter.
Any other really dumb suggestions  

Ouch.. You lost a lot of credibility with me on that one....

This is likely to be the deepest draft since 2003. The last several years, the draft has been incredibly weak. Looking at the #7 pick from the last 5 years is absolutely meaningless. This years #7 could stand to be head and shoulders above ANYTHING left on the board by the 7 slot in recent years. And, they could be a total bust. There are 3 guys in this draft who could be #1 picks...if you take Connelly's injury into consideration. There are 5 guys who would be the #1 pick in almost any other recent draft season.

The 2010 draft is being touted as one of the deepest in recent years. Normally, I wouldnt be too excited about picking 7th. But there is a good chance that several of the top 15 picks made this summer, are playing in the NHL this fall.

Hurricanes posted their profile of Connolly. 

If this guy stays healthy he could end up being the best player in this draft. Yes, Taylor/Tyler probably will be, but Connolly is in their neighborhood. 

The most fascinating guy in the draft I think. Elite level talent befitting a #1 pick, but injury issues. Where will he go?

With what I know now, if the draft follows the likely order and we stay at #7, then Talyor/Tyler and the big 3 dmen will be gone. I would grab this guy. Heck, I would trade up to #6 to get him, or one of the top 3 dmen if he goes earlier.

Plus, he's a big body, power forward, not afraid to go to those dirty areas. The anti-smurf. 

The chance of a guy with this much talent and size ultimately playing next to Staal? This is the only way we get that kind of combo. Gotta take that chance. 

Yep, Connolly could be a real wild-card in the draft, particularly at 5 through 7.  Obviously, Hall and Seguin will go 1&2 in some order.  Alot of folks have Gudbranson and Fowler going next.  That's likely a good bet.  So, do the Isles take Connelly here, or do they take Gormley, or somebody else? Tampa Bay took Victor Hedman at #2 last year, so I bet they don't go defense again.  They are probably looking for someone to play eventually with Stamkos.

So, depending on what the Isles do, I can see Gormley or possibly Connolly falling to #7.

As far as Connolly, his injuries were hip flexors, which can be chronic.  But, he's a natural goal scorer and will go to the dirty areas, plus he is not a smurf, which is good , real good.  If I were JR, and had to choose, I take Gormley. But that's just me. 

But, I could warm up to the idea of taking someone like Connolly at 7, then using our picks to move up and take somebody like Forbort or Pysyk later in the first round.

Note:  11 days and counting to the NHL Draft.  yahoo.gif

Yep, Connolly could be a real wild-card in the draft, particularly at 5 through 7.  Obviously, Hall and Seguin will go 1&2 in some order.  Alot of folks have Gudbranson and Fowler going next.  That's likely a good bet.  So, do the Isles take Connelly here, or do they take Gormley, or somebody else? Tampa Bay took Victor Hedman at #2 last year, so I bet they don't go defense again.  They are probably looking for someone to play eventually with Stamkos.

So, depending on what the Isles do, I can see Gormley or possibly Connolly falling to #7.

As far as Connolly, his injuries were hip flexors, which can be chronic.  But, he's a natural goal scorer and will go to the dirty areas, plus he is not a smurf, which is good , real good.  If I were JR, and had to choose, I take Gormley. But that's just me. 

But, I could warm up to the idea of taking someone like Connolly at 7, then using our picks to move up and take somebody like Forbort or Pysyk later in the first round.

If both Connolly and El Nino are on the board, I take El Nino. He's a bigger body (200+ vs. 180) and he doesn't have the injury concerns. I like putting El Nino next to Staal in the future.

Not that I put too much stock in mock drafts, this year is a little different with the top-level talent available with the picks leading up to ours at #7.

Anyway, here are the latest mock drafts from NHL.com's experts.  http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62937

Two have Canes going defense with Gormley and Forbort, one has Nino to the Canes.  Note Connolly goes at 5 to the Isles, or 6 to Tampa Bay, or 8 to Atlanta.  It's interesting that no one has Tampa picking defense, as I speculated above.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Note:  11 days and counting to the NHL Draft. 
yahoo.gif

If both Connolly and El Nino are on the board, I take El Nino. He's a bigger body (200+ vs. 180) and he doesn't have the injury concerns. I like putting El Nino next to Staal in the future.

Souch a tough call between El Nino and Connolly but I agree and lean towards Nino because of the injury issues and his size.  I really hope we use a prospect or Cole/Sammy and a 2nd round pick to move up for Pysyk; then hope and pray for Pulkinnen to fall to us with our last 2nd round pick.  A draft like that would put us in position to be one of the scariest teams in the NHL for many years to come.  Here's another question on the D-Side...where does Casey Borer fit in, 9 Pts in 30 games and a +7.