The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

I have to agree. The neck injury is the big question mark with Borer. Before the bus accident I would of bet the house he was NHL bound. I hope he still is and he has made amazing progress. I thought he looked pretty good at the end of last year but expect he will shuttle between Charlotte and Raleigh

as space allows.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Yep, Connolly could be a real wild-card in the draft, particularly at 5 through 7.  Obviously, Hall and Seguin will go 1&2 in some order.  Alot of folks have Gudbranson and Fowler going next.  That's likely a good bet.  So, do the Isles take Connelly here, or do they take Gormley, or somebody else? Tampa Bay took Victor Hedman at #2 last year, so I bet they don't go defense again.  They are probably looking for someone to play eventually with Stamkos.

So, depending on what the Isles do, I can see Gormley or possibly Connolly falling to #7.

As far as Connolly, his injuries were hip flexors, which can be chronic.  But, he's a natural goal scorer and will go to the dirty areas, plus he is not a smurf, which is good , real good.  If I were JR, and had to choose, I take Gormley. But that's just me. 

But, I could warm up to the idea of taking someone like Connolly at 7, then using our picks to move up and take somebody like Forbort or Pysyk later in the first round.

Note:  11 days and counting to the NHL Draft. 
yahoo.gif

If both Connolly and El Nino are on the board, I take El Nino. He's a bigger body (200+ vs. 180) and he doesn't have the injury concerns. I like putting El Nino next to Staal in the future.

Well Connolly is 6'2" and will surely add weight. There is a lot of love for El Nino here. My only concern is that evaluations of his talent level seems to have a wide variance. Some scouts have had him mid first round, some top 6. One guy called him the swiss Rick Nash, and one said from 1st line to third line career potential. 

The injury thing is sobering on Connolly, but the guy is a natural offensive machine. 

I guess it depends on how good the Canes scouts think El Nino can be, and of course if any of the top 3 dmen slip to within our grasp.

Oh and Johansen's stock is rising and we need a center and he is big. But he is also projected as low as 16, so a trade down might work.

So, depending on what the Isles do, I can see Gormley or possibly Connolly falling to #7.

If I were JR, and had to choose, I take Gormley. But that's just me. 

Note:  11 days and counting to the NHL Draft.  yahoo.gif

A goodly majority of the mock drafts have those top 3 dmen going before #7 (5/6 of the most recent ones I saw). What is interesting though is that in general the fairly well agreed on grouping is Taylor/Tyler then Gudbranson/Fowler/Gormley is some order at least in the top 6. Then Connolly gets slotted 5 or 7 (seems that the scouts are rising his stock, feeling that he is in good physical condition now). 

Then, ironically, right at #7 it starts to get crazy. With picks all over the place. 

So it seems likely that 1-6 are the elite picks, with Connolly as a wild card. That would suggest that moving up even one or two spots would put us on a blue chip. 

At #7 those latest 5 mock drafts have us on Connolly (2), Johansen (2), and Psysk. 

But those that don't have us on Johansen have him 11, 9, and 16.  

Pysyk?   14,21,14, 15.

Just for the record Nino: 8,10,10,6,8.

So, #7 seems to be a pivitol spot. If for some reason Gormley or Connolly drop there, we would get a consensus value. If not, we will end up with a pick that is projected by some much lower. 

While it matters most what the Canes think of the guys they might project at #7, the mock draft suggest that they would be better off trading up or down. Up gets them clearly into the blue chips. Down gets them any number of good players plus whatever they pick up with the move down. 

Probably a "game in progress" decision. If guys like Burmistrov, Taresenko, even Nino pop up ahead of us, then guys like Connolly, or a top 3 defenseman will be there at #7 and suddenly not so bad. If the draft is going to follow the most likely weighted average of the mock drafts, the Canes should try to move up in my opinion, but down would also make sense. 

The site posted earlier by Law-Dawg is continuously updated and quite interesting: http://thepuckdoctors.com...nhl-mock-draft-database/.

Blue Chip picks:

Talyor

Tyler

Fowler

Gudbranson

Gormley

Conolly

Then,

Anyone's guess.

I'd be pretty happy with any of the top 6. Where do we pick again?

Two interesting tweets from Chip...

ice_chip: Three names to keep in mind for first round of draft next week: Johansen, Burmistrov, Granlund. See a connection there?

ice_chip: If reading the tea leaves correctly, Canes are looking for a center in the first round and then defensemen in the second.

Call me stupid, but isn't the Center position the least of our concerns? We have Staal and Sutter who shape our first two lines. The third and fourth line centers are spots which can easily be filled with free agency.

The Canes NEED a first line winger and/or a good solid defenseman.. Whats going on here, JR?..

I will be so ticked off if the Canes choose either one of Johansen, Burmistrov, or Granlund if el nino is still on the board..  

EDIT: I mean come on.. We even have Zac Dalpe doing very well.. another Center.. How does this make sense?

Two interesting tweets from Chip...

ice_chip: Three names to keep in mind for first round of draft next week: Johansen, Burmistrov, Granlund. See a connection there?

ice_chip: If reading the tea leaves correctly, Canes are looking for a center in the first round and then defensemen in the second.

Call me stupid, but isn't the Center position the least of our concerns? We have Staal and Sutter who shape our first two lines. The third and fourth line centers are spots which can easily be filled with free agency.

The Canes NEED a first line winger and/or a good solid defenseman.. Whats going on here, JR?..

I will be so ticked off if the Canes choose either one of Johansen, Burmistrov, or Granlund if el nino is still on the board..  

EDIT: I mean come on.. We even have Zac Dalpe doing very well.. another Center.. How does this make sense?

I really wonder how much deliberate subterfuge is going on. Certainly anyone picking below us is more likely to trade up with us if they think we're going to grab their guy. I mean all three of those guys are top half first rounders. I think some smoke is being leaked.

Through Chip? I mean.. how involved is this guy? lol. I sure hope you are right tho..
I don't know how it works, but if the Canes wanted to float some stuff, I would imagine someone would leak it to the media, Chip being our main local print media. This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm thinking why three names of which we could at most take one? Kind of shotgun. But putting three names out there would keep people guessing.

I don't know, just can't wait for something to actually happen!

Chip Post it and others like Ottawa Sun, & TFP pick it up and post it as a rumor. Don't think we take any of those three at #7.

I saw a mock draft today that had us trading up to #5 to take El Nino...happy.gif.  All we gave to the Islanders is our 3rd round pick. It said we traded up because we thought the Lighting were going to take Nino at #6. I would be happy with this!

Anyone going to the draft party?

Chip Post it and others like Ottawa Sun, & TFP pick it up and post it as a rumor. Don't think we take any of those three at #7.

I saw a mock draft today that had us trading up to #5 to take El Nino...happy.gif.  All we gave to the Islanders is our 3rd round pick. It said we traded up because we thought the Lighting were going to take Nino at #6. I would be happy with this!

If we're trading up to 5, it better be to take a defenseman. 

I don't know about smoke and mirrors and such but I do think its reasonable to assume the Canes would be interested in a center.  Along with defensemen, center is a position the Canes have stated as an organizational weakness.  

Burmistrov is a smurf ........no smurfs thank you please.  Plus, there is speculation he could bolt for home and reportedly that has some GM's concerned about picking him.  Central Scouting has Granlund the #1 European skater, ISS has him as number 15.  Granlund appears to me to be a consolation prize for those picking out of the top 7 or 8 spots. 

Now Johanson, on the other hand......his stock is rising.  Big guy being compared to someone like Staal.  More your prototypical center.  I like him.  Another guy who's stock is rising is Jeff Skinner.  Talk about a pure goal scorer.  Keep your eye on him.

I still like either Gudbranson, Fowler, or Gormley more.  I really, really like Gudbanson (sigh).  Big, mean and nasty.  I like big mean and nasty. Senslookout-logo.gif Dadgum I wish we could get him.

Note:  Only 8 days and counting to the NHL draft.  yahoo.gif

[quote name='Sutter16 wrote:

rocheccw']Chip Post it and others like Ottawa Sun, & TFP pick it up and post it as a rumor. Don't think we take any of those three at #7.

I saw a mock draft today that had us trading up to #5 to take El Nino...
happy.gif
.  All we gave to the Islanders is our 3rd round pick. It said we traded up because we thought the Lighting were going to take Nino at #6. I would be happy with this!

If we're trading up to 5, it better be to take a defenseman. 

When I first looked at the trade up to #5...I assumed it would be to take one of the top 3 D. Since at least one is guarantee to be there at #5. I like El Nino a lot, but I think the Canes need one of the top 3 D guys more.

I think we are fine at center. Staal, Sutter, Cullen or Dalpe(IMO He is going to be good), Dywer. That would be my 4 centers, but due to Brindy probably not retiring. JR probably not signing Cullen. Next year starts out with Staal, Sutter, Dywer, Brindy. Dalpe in Charlotte. Which is not a bad thing for Dalpe's development. But would suck to have Dywer 3rd line center, and Brindy on the 4th line.

IMO Canes Draft needs are D, Wing, D, Center, D, Goalie(late round depth)...Notice the pattern? Of course you should just draft the best player available at every pick.

On another note, Niedereitter gets alot of love around here.  Not saying it isn't warranted.  But, just some info:

Does everyone realize he was barely eligible for this years draft?  If he had been born a week later we wouldn't be talking about him.  He's 17, would likely play another year in juniors, then to Charlotte, then......

Just sayin.

On another note, Niedereitter gets alot of love around here.  Not saying it isn't warranted.  But, just some info:

Does everyone realize he was barely eligible for this years draft?  If he had been born a week later we wouldn't be talking about him.  He's 17, would likely play another year in juniors, then to Charlotte, then......

Just sayin.

This is a good point..didn't realize that. If we can't get Niedereitter or Connolly, please for the love of god - move up and grab one of the defensemen, JR!

Also, I really don't see why we should be looking at Centers. Staal, Sutter, Dalpe, Dwyer, Jokinen, even Ruutu... all can play center. We have no problem at the center position.

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

coastal_caniac']On another note, Niedereitter gets alot of love around here.  Not saying it isn't warranted.  But, just some info:

Just sayin.

This is a good point..didn't realize that. If we can't get Niedereitter or Connolly, please for the love of god - move up and grab one of the defensemen, JR!

Also, I really don't see why we should be looking at Centers. Staal, Sutter, Dalpe, Dwyer, Jokinen, even Ruutu... all can play center. We have no problem at the center position.

If we trade up to #5 it will be to get either a big 3 dman or Connolly. I just can't see trading up for Nino. I know his stock has risen, but if he's not there at #7, then either a top 3 dman or Connolly will be there (by default). Why trade up to not get one of them?

As to centers, we DO need a third line center this year. I cannot get excited about Dwyer as our third line center. Dwyer vs. Cullen...hmmm.

If Brind'Amour is the reason we can't resign Cullen, it will start eating into my "I love what Brind'Amour has done for this team"...preamble to my thoughts on him.  I know he has the contract, but it has hurt this team for 2+ years, and if it is allowed to drag us down this year....retire my man. Retire. Let me love you again.

If we could sign Cullen, he could hold that spot until Dalphe is ready. I want that value free agent winger, but almost want Cullen back more. He could be a key piece.

Dwyer as third line center.  Let me try and digest that.  Sorry puker.gif, didn't work.  But seriously J-87, justifying we are fine at center by saying Jokinen, Dwyer, Staal, Sutter, etc. can play the position has nothing whatsoever to do with organizational depth, right?  The team needs more depth at center, and has stated the same.  So, from that perspective, a big guy like Johanson could be on the radar.

Heck, just last week JR stated he might consider moving Ruutu out of the top-6 to the third line center position.  That right there should tell us something. 

I won't drag the Brinamour situation, or resigning Cullen into this, because this is a draft thread.  Hint, hint. wink.gif

I won't drag the Brinamour situation, or resigning Cullen into this, because this is a draft thread.  Hint, hint. wink.gif

Hey, it was in his post first! Not that I wouldn't waste an opportunity to hijack a thread.