The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Don't get me wrong, I understand we need organization depth at the center position. But why use a pick as high as the 7th spot to achieve that when there are much more pressing needs on this team? Thats all I'm saying.

And yes, if Dalphe isn't ready to next year (which he probably won't be) we will have to pick up a third line center, or move Ruutu there - which in turn, would leave a whole in wing for the top 6...sigh..

I'm not in favor of Dywer as the third line center, but I don't think you draft your third line center, or center depth at #7 . That center depth can be easily found in the 2nd round. Canes have 3 second round picks this year in a deep draft. Those three picks could be used to address D & C depth.

Of course at #7 you should take the best player available. Darn winning streak knock us out of the top 5, but it was good for the youth to learn what it took to win at the NHL level.

I'm a big fan of El Nino, but I do realize that he will probably need one or two more years at the Jr level before he is ready to make the jump to the NHL. Remember he is out of the WHL & would have to go back to Juniors or play in the NHL. I'm not really expecting our pick at #7 to make the line up next year. It could happen, but I doubt it.

Here is a link to a nice write up on El Nino.

http://thehockeywriters.c...spect-nino-niederreiter/

On another note, Niedereitter gets alot of love around here.  Not saying it isn't warranted.  But, just some info:

Does everyone realize he was barely eligible for this years draft?  If he had been born a week later we wouldn't be talking about him.  He's 17, would likely play another year in juniors, then to Charlotte, then......

Just sayin.

Yeah but look at his size, and skill at 17...I would be willing to wait a couple of years for him to eventually be on Staal or Sutter's wing.

Nino would have to play either in the WHL or NHL for the next two years. Jr players can't play in the AHL until they are 20 years old.

My Draft Board would be Hall, Seguin, Top 3 D, Nino, Connolly.

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

coastal_caniac']On another note, Niedereitter gets alot of love around here.  Not saying it isn't warranted.  But, just some info:

Does everyone realize he was barely eligible for this years draft?  If he had been born a week later we wouldn't be talking about him.  He's 17, would likely play another year in juniors, then to Charlotte, then......

Just sayin.

Yeah but look at his size, and skill at 17...I would be willing to wait a couple of years for him to eventually be on Staal or Sutter's wing.

Nino would have to play either in the WHL or NHL for the next two years. Jr players can't play in the AHL until they are 20 years old.

My Draft Board would be Hall, Seguin, Top 3 D, Nino, Connolly.

That's my draft board, too. You're getting one of those 7.

I think what happens in front of us is going to be key. Hall and Seguin are 1-2 in some order. I suspect Fowler and Gudbranson to be the first 2 d-men off the board.

But then things get interesting. What if someone REALLY wants a center with size and is worried that we might take Johansen at 7? Then they make a deal up from 11 or 13 or wherever to grab the 5th or 6th spot and they pick Johansen. Or someone bites on Smurfistrov. Or better yet, both of those happen.

In a perfect world, JR has to decide between El Nino, Connolly and Gormley at 7. If they are all on the board, I think he has to go with Gormley first, even though I know we'll all wonder "what if" had he gone El Nino...

Or... maybe it's better that just one of them is available at 7 and then we don't have to wonder... ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I understand we need organization depth at the center position. But why use a pick as high as the 7th spot to achieve that when there are much more pressing needs on this team? Thats all I'm saying.

And yes, if Dalphe isn't ready to next year (which he probably won't be) we will have to pick up a third line center, or move Ruutu there - which in turn, would leave a whole in wing for the top 6...sigh..

Now wait just a itsy bitsy minute.  I didn't suggest we use the #7 pick on a center.  I just said the team needs depth at that position and a big center like Johanson could be on the radar screen.  ohmy.gif

[quote name='remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac']

I won't drag the Brinamour situation, or resigning Cullen into this, because this is a draft thread.  Hint, hint.
wink.gif

Hey, it was in his post first! Not that I wouldn't waste an opportunity to hijack a thread.

grin.gif

I think what happens in front of us is going to be key. Hall and Seguin are 1-2 in some order. I suspect Fowler and Gudbranson to be the first 2 d-men off the board.

But then things get interesting. What if someone REALLY wants a center with size and is worried that we might take Johansen at 7? Then they make a deal up from 11 or 13 or wherever to grab the 5th or 6th spot and they pick Johansen. Or someone bites on Smurfistrov. Or better yet, both of those happen.

In a perfect world, JR has to decide between El Nino, Connolly and Gormley at 7. If they are all on the board, I think he has to go with Gormley first, even though I know we'll all wonder "what if" had he gone El Nino...

Or... maybe it's better that just one of them is available at 7 and then we don't have to wonder... ;-)

That could very well be the case, and not a bad choice to have to make.  If Nino or Connolly are there, I think JR goes offense.....something just tells me thats what he will do.  I like the top-3 defensemen, but what the heck do I know.  Gudbranson or bust.

Draft profile #6: Erik Gudbranson

gudbranson.jpg

DRAFT PROFILE FOR ERIK GUDBRANSON FROM PAUL'S TTS BLOG

This is THE guy Jimmy.  A franchis blueliner who makes you pay for coming down his side of the ice.  Remind you of another Cane?  Let's pull the trigger and get this guy.

Sorry TSA, but I just couldn't wait.  This is THE guy.

[quote name=coastal_caniac]

Good to see you and Paul are on top of things smile.gif

This kid is a very appealing draft pick and would definitely fill a major need for our D.  What are the odds he'll be available at #7?  Based on JR's comments, I wouldn't rule out moving our draft order.

This is THE guy Jimmy.  A franchis blueliner who makes you pay for coming down his side of the ice.  Remind you of another Cane?  Let's pull the trigger and get this guy.

So, Coastal...This is THE guy, and I agree that he would be the first of the top 3 D that I would pick.

What would you offer Florida in a trade to get the third overall pick to grab Gudbranson?

coastal_caniac']

So, Coastal...This is THE guy, and I agree that he would be the first of the top 3 D that I would pick.

What would you offer Florida in a trade to get the third overall pick to grab Gudbranson?

With 202, Florida was 28th in the league last year when it came to scoring goals. So I think they may want some offense to give up the 3rd pick. Babchuk scored 16 goals a couple of years ago..not bad for a defenseman. Samsonov scored 14 goals last year while mostly playing on the 4th line with under-achieving players..also not bad. So I would add those two guys compiled with a prospect and/or a pick and see what Florida thought about that. It would be worth it, imo.

coastal_caniac']

Well, our 7th would be a start.  That ensures Florida gets a good player, a really good player.  Then we have 3 Second Round picks, 2 Thirds, 1 Fourth, One Fifth, 2 Sixths, and 2 Seventh Round picks.  Trading one or more of those picks could certainly sweeten the pot.  Given Florida is getting our 7th it may only take say our 45th and a prospect or a roster player.

I'm with others thinking Gudbranson will be the first D-man off the board. But with all our picks in a deep draft I think a trade up certainly isn't off the boards and could be done. 

On another note, I was listening to NHL Live yesterday and Adam Kimmellman from NHL.com stated he was talking to JR.  According to Kimmelman, JR stated that he thought there would be an unusually high number of roster player trades associated with the draft this year, primarily because of teams up against the cap.  I don't have a link to the actual source because it was on the radio, so you will just have to take my word that was said. 

I would be fine with our #7 pick, one of the 2nd round picks, and a roster forward(Samsonov / Cole) to dump salary. I would not like to trade a prospect...unless it was a low end prospect. I rather throw in a late round draft pick.

It is only 4 spots, but it is 4 big spots to grab your pick of the three top D. Florida is said to be listen to offers, but if they grab Gudbranson...he is going to be their Bouwmeester replacement.

If we could move up to #3 for a second round pick and Sammy and/or Cole, I would do it in a heartbeat (I want to unload these salaries anyway, so throw me in that there briar patch on that part). I guess it depends on how much Florida lusts after a top 3 dman or Connolly.

I doubt it happens though. The problem is being #7. I bet if we were #5 or #6 they might do it, but dropping to #7 puts them in our spot where a guy that they may want or be able to live with could be gone, and they will have to trade the pick without knowing.

So, say they like Gudbranson, but could live with any of the big 3 or Connolly. By trading down to #7 they could watch all of those guys go to other teams and be left picking from the next level.

On the other hand, if they could live with say Connolly or Nino or the big 3, then maybe they make the move.

Worth inquiring, but seems like a long shot.

Gudbranson would be my pick at #3, but I'm not completely sold that Florida is going to take him if they do keep that pick. Defensively, Florida's main offensive threat is B. McCabe, who is now 35 I believe. Therefore, Florida might be looking for more of a puck moving defenseman, who of course would be Fowler.

Gudbranson would be my pick at #3, but I'm not completely sold that Florida is going to take him if they do keep that pick. Defensively, Florida's main offensive threat is B. McCabe, who is now 35 I believe. Therefore, Florida might be looking for more of a puck moving defenseman, who of course would be Fowler.
True, the mock drafts are about 50-50 on those two for Florida, with a slight edge to Gudbranson more recently, but really a coin flip based on that. Of course that might mean a trade up to #4 could get Gudbanson. 

I would agree that nabbing Gudbranson is a long shot, likely a real long shot.  But, I look at our blueline and I see one franchise guy.  JR's little experiment last year to get tougher on the backend was a disaster.  We sign Alberts to add some "toughness" only to trade him away for a seemingly cheaper alternative of the same thing in Harrison.

Personally, I'm tired of watching us play pattycakes on defense.  If we really want to get tougher on the back end, then here is our chance.  If not, and we want to continue to play "defense by committee", then stay at #7 and take Connolly or Nino, then hope to move up and take one of the second-tier guys like Pysyk or Forbort.  Given our draft history, I wouldn't expect JR to go defense with the first pick in such a reportedly deep draft. 

But, I can still dream, right?

[quote name='remkin wrote:

jeromeo87']Gudbranson would be my pick at #3, but I'm not completely sold that Florida is going to take him if they do keep that pick. Defensively, Florida's main offensive threat is B. McCabe, who is now 35 I believe. Therefore, Florida might be looking for more of a puck moving defenseman, who of course would be Fowler.

True, the mock drafts are about 50-50 on those two for Florida, with a slight edge to Gudbranson more recently, but really a coin flip based on that. Of course that might mean a trade up to #4 could get Gudbanson. 

If Florida takes Fowler, I could see us trading with the CBJ for #4 & grabbing Gudbranson. CBJ might be content to drop down to #7 & pick either Nino, Connolly, or Gormely. This could easily be done for one of our 2nd round picks.  Didn't we do this with them before? smile.gif

remkin wrote:

jeromeo87']Gudbranson would be my pick at #3, but I'm not completely sold that Florida is going to take him if they do keep that pick. Defensively, Florida's main offensive threat is B. McCabe, who is now 35 I believe. Therefore, Florida might be looking for more of a puck moving defenseman, who of course would be Fowler.

If Florida takes Fowler, I could see us trading with the CBJ for #4 & grabbing Gudbranson. CBJ might be content to drop down to #7 & pick either Nino, Connolly, or Gormely. This could easily be done for one of our 2nd round picks.  Didn't we do this with them before? smile.gif

If JR moves up, don't be surprised if it costs us something painful. Yes, we have a lot of 2nd round picks. So obviously our #7 + a 2nd rounder. And while all of us would love to see Sammy/Cole off the books, if you're Florida (or anyone else), are you really sitting there thinking "Wow! I can't wait to get one of those guys!"

No. But might you be interested in Ruutu? Or Jokinen? And while we have some prospects who got some NHL time last year, other than Sutter none of them actually lit up the scoreboard.

If I'm Florida I'm saying "Gimme me #7, a 2nd rounder and Ruutu." Then we can grab #3 and possibly a 3rd rounder from them (or a prospect). We know Fla is shopping Horton before the draft; I'm not saying we want him, but they are going to need someone to put pucks in the net... I can't imagine them seeking Sammy or Cole for that, but I can definitely imagine them inquiring about either the Juice or Ruutu.

Well if Ruutu or Jokinen are the asking price as far as what's thrown in with the #7 and 2nd rounder, I'd say absolutely not. We've got enough issues on offense already without having to give up one of those guys. Yes Florida would want something, but those guys shouldn't be the answer. Maybe someone on Larose's level or something. Just not them.

What if is was Ruutu & two 2nd rounders for #3, and we got to keep #7.

Then we took Gudbranson with the #3 pick, & El Nino with the #7 pick. That would be huge!!! Pinch me I think I had a mid afternoon dream.

I wished the draft was tonight!

Unfortunately, I think we have to live with Cole, Brindy, & Sammy's contracts for one more year.

well giving up ruutu would be tough.  I would only hope JR does everything he can to get rid of Cole and Sammy others before trading Ruutu.  I would much rather trade Ruutu out of the SE though.  If Grub is there at 4 and columbus wants that package then I go for it.  I dont know if I do that with Florida as Ruutu is too good to play that many times each season.  We bruise easy enough without Ruutu causing it.