The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

rocheccw wrote:

remkin']True, the mock drafts are about 50-50 on those two for Florida, with a slight edge to Gudbranson more recently, but really a coin flip based on that. Of course that might mean a trade up to #4 could get Gudbanson. 

If Florida takes Fowler, I could see us trading with the CBJ for #4 & grabbing Gudbranson. CBJ might be content to drop down to #7 & pick either Nino, Connolly, or Gormely. This could easily be done for one of our 2nd round picks.  Didn't we do this with them before?
smile.gif

If JR moves up, don't be surprised if it costs us something painful. Yes, we have a lot of 2nd round picks. So obviously our #7 + a 2nd rounder. And while all of us would love to see Sammy/Cole off the books, if you're Florida (or anyone else), are you really sitting there thinking "Wow! I can't wait to get one of those guys!"

No. But might you be interested in Ruutu? Or Jokinen? And while we have some prospects who got some NHL time last year, other than Sutter none of them actually lit up the scoreboard.

If I'm Florida I'm saying "Gimme me #7, a 2nd rounder and Ruutu." Then we can grab #3 and possibly a 3rd rounder from them (or a prospect). We know Fla is shopping Horton before the draft; I'm not saying we want him, but they are going to need someone to put pucks in the net... I can't imagine them seeking Sammy or Cole for that, but I can definitely imagine them inquiring about either the Juice or Ruutu.

Ruutu or Jokinen would be too high a price just to move up to #3. Now #2, and get Sequin or Hall, done.

While this team is looking to get younger, we still need some veterans, and of those veteran forwards we have left, Ruutu and Jokinen are the most core after Staal/Sutter. Further, as a team rebuilding I would be very slow to give up any of our top prospects. One interesting thing might be if anyone up in the 3-6 position had any Babchuk love. I just wonder how much lust could be out there for a guy we sent packing.  But that would be a deal worth looking at, especially if that same deal let us jettison Cole or Sammy. Not likely though. Doubt anyone is lusting after LaRose, but if they were that's a go.

If we can avoid giving up one of our top 4 forwards, or any of our top 4 prospects, then fine.

Bob McKenzie and TSN just released their final rankings of the top 75 prospects.  See http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944.

Here are their top 10:

1. Taylor Hall

2. Tyler Seguin

3. Erik Gudbranson

4. Brandon Gormley

5. Cam Fowler

6. Ryan Johanson

7. Nino Niedereitter

8. Brett Connolly

9. Jack Campbell

10. Jeff Skinner

Someone questioned the fact I mentioned that the big center Ryan Johanson could be on the Canes radar screen.  Well, his stock has certainly risen, at least from this anyway.  

The issue with Johanssen is that he is the guy that is the big question mark in the draft.  He took a huge jump in production.  The huge question is will that continue, what it a fluke, and how long will it take to get his game up to the NHL?  If they want to go with a project player, why not trade down and get more picks?  We need help now not later.

The issue with Johanssen is that he is the guy that is the big question mark in the draft.  He took a huge jump in production.  The huge question is will that continue, what it a fluke, and how long will it take to get his game up to the NHL?  If they want to go with a project player, why not trade down and get more picks?  We need help now not later.
I don't see how you call Johanson is THE big question mark in the entire draft.  That's pretty much a stretch.....you might look no further than Brett Connolly.  Everything I've read about Johanson is his big jump was made when he started playing with better players, like Nino on his wing.  Most scouting reports I've read were positive in that sense.  I certainly don't consider him some kind of "project."  Prospect yes, but not a project. 

As far as needing help now, do you really expect anyone outside the top-2 picks or maybe one or two of the top defenseman to be really ready to play now?  Maybe if we rush them along.  Sutter wasn't rushed, he just made it impossible for the Canes to send him back to Albany.  Worked out well.

This is exciting isn't it?

No way JR gives up Ruutu to move up, even if it's for Edmonton's. Not sure if anyone wants Cole or Samsonov, but I'm sure JR would jump on moving their salaries.

I don't think JR will move up UNLESS it's to one of the top two picks, and I don't see Boston parting with theirs. I'd love to see JR move up to the top 2, but not at the expense of Ruutu.

Bob McKenzie and TSN just released their final rankings of the top 75 prospects.  See http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944.

Here are their top 10:

1. Taylor Hall

2. Tyler Seguin

3. Erik Gudbranson

4. Brandon Gormley

5. Cam Fowler

6. Ryan Johanson

7. Nino Niedereitter

8. Brett Connolly

9. Jack Campbell

10. Jeff Skinner

Someone questioned the fact I mentioned that the big center Ryan Johanson could be on the Canes radar screen.  Well, his stock has certainly risen, at least from this anyway.  

The more I look at this stuff, the more I'm convinced we take Connolly or Nino at #7 and then make the move to grab Pysyk at 20-25 in the 1st round.  we've got pick number 37, 46 and 53 in the 2nd round, more than enough to move into that position if we package a pick or 2, and loads of good prospects still in the later parts of what would be the 2nd round (Pulkinnen ranked #46, Kabanov ranked  #43 and Beukeboom ranked #54). 

[quote name='Law-Dawg wrote:

coastal_caniac']Bob McKenzie and TSN just released their final rankings of the top 75 prospects.  See

Here are their top 10:

1. Taylor Hall

2. Tyler Seguin

3. Erik Gudbranson

4. Brandon Gormley

5. Cam Fowler

6. Ryan Johanson

7. Nino Niedereitter

8. Brett Connolly

9. Jack Campbell

10. Jeff Skinner

The more I look at this stuff, the more I'm convinced we take Connolly or Nino at #7 and then make the move to grab Pysyk at 20-25 in the 1st round.  we've got pick number 37, 46 and 53 in the 2nd round, more than enough to move into that position if we package a pick or 2, and loads of good prospects still in the later parts of what would be the 2nd round (Pulkinnen ranked #46, Kabanov ranked  #43 and Beukeboom ranked #54). 

I can't get over how much #6 and down jostle around in the rankings and mock drafts.

Reading the Cane's write up, it sure sounds like they really do like this kid. I wouldn't trade up to get him, but he does seem to have a lot of upside.

It seems like however people seem to be feeling about Connolly's injury drives some of the volatilility

[quote name='Law-Dawg wrote:

coastal_caniac']Bob McKenzie and TSN just released their final rankings of the top 75 prospects.  See

Here are their top 10:

1. Taylor Hall

2. Tyler Seguin

3. Erik Gudbranson

4. Brandon Gormley

5. Cam Fowler

6. Ryan Johanson

7. Nino Niedereitter

8. Brett Connolly

9. Jack Campbell

10. Jeff Skinner

I agree, if we go forward at 7 we should package two of our 2nds to get back into the late first for a defenseman.  I think that Pysyk will go too high for us to trade back up, but I think Tinordi will be there if we trade up to 25 or so.  The Canucks hold the 25th pick in the draft and are wanting to trade down for multiple picks.  37th and 53rd for 25th would be a good deal.  We then would leave with a great forward at 7, Tinordi at 25 (just the kind of defenseman we need), and whoever we pick at 46 (I like Pulkinnen).  I'd be extremely happy with that. 

I don't see how you call Johanson is THE big question mark in the entire draft.  That's pretty much a stretch.....you might look no further than Brett Connolly.  Everything I've read about Johanson is his big jump was made when he started playing with better players, like Nino on his wing.  Most scouting reports I've read were positive in that sense.  I certainly don't consider him some kind of "project."  Prospect yes, but not a project. 

As far as needing help now, do you really expect anyone outside the top-2 picks or maybe one or two of the top defenseman to be really ready to play now?  Maybe if we rush them along.  Sutter wasn't rushed, he just made it impossible for the Canes to send him back to Albany.  Worked out well.

How do figure he isnt a project player?  He is 17.  He is virtually unproven and will need a couple of seasons for his game and body to mature.  Sounds like a project player to me.  Sutter played 3 seasons of WHL Red Deer before he was drafted.  Johansen has played one season of WHL hockey.  Sutter played 59 more games of WHL then 7 games at Albany in 2007-2008.  Then the 08 season came around where he finally made it up.  I seriously doubt this 17 year old is only going to need 59 WHL games and then 29 games at Charlotte to be ready for the big time.  Looks like Johansen will need a lot more seasoning than Sutter needed. 

[quote name='gocanes0506 wrote:

coastal_caniac']I don't see how you call Johanson is THE big question mark in the entire draft.  That's pretty much a stretch.....you might look no further than Brett Connolly.  Everything I've read about Johanson is his big jump was made when he started playing with better players, like Nino on his wing.  Most scouting reports I've read were positive in that sense.  I certainly don't consider him some kind of "project."  Prospect yes, but not a project. 

How do figure he isnt a project player?  He is 17.  He is virtually unproven and will need a couple of seasons for his game and body to mature.  Sounds like a project player to me.  Sutter played 3 seasons of WHL Red Deer before he was drafted.  Johansen has played one season of WHL hockey.  Sutter played 59 more games of WHL then 7 games at Albany in 2007-2008.  Then the 08 season came around where he finally made it up.  I seriously doubt this 17 year old is only going to need 59 WHL games and then 29 games at Charlotte to be ready for the big time.  Looks like Johansen will need a lot more seasoning than Sutter needed. Whatever.  My original post was intended to keep the thread going by just making the point that the kid Johanson could be on the Canes radar screen is all.  Seems alot of the scouts and those who are in the know seem to think the same, thus the high ranking.  You are certainly free to call him what you want too, project...prospect....I really don't care.  Or, you can back up your alternative veiwpoint by citing reliable sources, as I did. 

Johansen is a very likely candidate for the Canes at the #7 spot. They will need a depth center in the future. But Johansen will not be playing the 3rd line center position this fall. He's just too young. He is 1-2 years away from the NHL. Just realize and expect that.

How about another crazy idea from me that coastal and sutter can tear apart

IF and thats a big if the Nino and Johanssen are there at 7 that we tried to trade for the 8th to grab both? Canucks did it to get both Sedin twins. Of course for that to happen the big 3 dmen go 3-5 and connolly goes 6th.

How about offering ATL the 37th pick, Cole/Sammi/Larose and a conditional first rounder for 2011. The condition would be outside of the top 5. If the condition is not met then they get the 2012 pick no conditions. ATL might do this as they already have a 1st rounder. Larose may be there choice as they wil lget more value out of him. They may take a chance on Cole as he brings more skill.

We could keep the nasty duo of johanssen and nino together. We lost a later first rounder that could be 6th or worst in 2011 or any pick in 2012. I put the condition on the 2011 pick as I do not believe we will be as "competitive" as JK says. I think we will be mid road if not competiting for a playoff spot in 2012. Next years 1st rounder will be tough to lose but a more seasoned Johan will be more skilled than any one 6 or lower in next year's draft.

JR...This is THE guy...make it happen!  Would love to see this kid on Staal or Sutter's wing in a couple of years.

Absolutely. I think we're sitting great at #7. Assume that Hall/Seguin go 1-2 in some order, then you've got us grabbing one of these five: Gudbranson, Fowler, Gormley, Connolly, El Nino.

Any one of those 5 *could* make the roster in the fall. Especially with the latest news that we're REALLY going cheap. There are going to be spots open for competition. And one way to get more people to come to the game is to put a young, exciting team on the ice.

I think if they go with anyone else at 7 (Burmistrov, Johansen, etc) then JR should turn in his badge. Any one of those other guys is still a good prospect, but I just don't see any of them having a shot to make the roster in the fall. The 5 above have that chance.

And I agree with others who have commented that we should package 2 of our 2nd round picks (plus Cole or Sammy? anyone?... crickets...) to get a later 1st round selection to grab a d-man.

And if Pulkinnen (I'm sure I mangled his name) is still there with our remaining 2nd rounder, we grab him. 2 solid d-men for the future plus a solid possible roster guy at 7 seems like a great draft to me.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

rocheccw']

JR...This is THE guy...make it happen!  Would love to see this kid on Staal or Sutter's wing in a couple of years.

Absolutely. I think we're sitting great at #7. Assume that Hall/Seguin go 1-2 in some order, then you've got us grabbing one of these five: Gudbranson, Fowler, Gormley, Connolly, El Nino.

Any one of those 5 *could* make the roster in the fall. Especially with the latest news that we're REALLY going cheap. There are going to be spots open for competition. And one way to get more people to come to the game is to put a young, exciting team on the ice.

I think if they go with anyone else at 7 (Burmistrov, Johansen, etc) then JR should turn in his badge. Any one of those other guys is still a good prospect, but I just don't see any of them having a shot to make the roster in the fall. The 5 above have that chance.

Why should we draft our player based on who could make the roster this fall?  We will be drafting who we think is the best possible asset at 7, if they make the roster this fall it will be an added bonus.  Our goal is to get the best possible player we can, the best prospect.  

If JR drafts one of Johansen or Burmistrov, why should he "turn in his badge"?  I'd be ecstatic if we got Burmistrov, and Johansen is just as good of a prospect as Nino.  We should stay away from Connolly, his injury issues are more concerning than any size issues that come with Burmistrov or Granlund.  

How about another crazy idea from me that coastal and sutter can tear apart

IF and thats a big if the Nino and Johanssen are there at 7 that we tried to trade for the 8th to grab both? Canucks did it to get both Sedin twins. Of course for that to happen the big 3 dmen go 3-5 and connolly goes 6th.

How about offering ATL the 37th pick, Cole/Sammi/Larose and a conditional first rounder for 2011. The condition would be outside of the top 5. If the condition is not met then they get the 2012 pick no conditions. ATL might do this as they already have a 1st rounder. Larose may be there choice as they wil lget more value out of him. They may take a chance on Cole as he brings more skill.

We could keep the nasty duo of johanssen and nino together. We lost a later first rounder that could be 6th or worst in 2011 or any pick in 2012. I put the condition on the 2011 pick as I do not believe we will be as "competitive" as JK says. I think we will be mid road if not competiting for a playoff spot in 2012. Next years 1st rounder will be tough to lose but a more seasoned Johan will be more skilled than any one 6 or lower in next year's draft.

Ha, I'm not going to tear you apart, I think it's a creative and interesting idea.  The only thing is I have no idea what an acceptable price would be for Atlanta s pick.  Pre lockout it took a similar deal for Vancouver to get the 3rd for Sedin, but being in the salary cap era seems to have driven the price up for top picks.  So I'm not sure what it would take, but based on history, your proposed deal could work.   

That being said, I would absolutely love if we could get both of them, especially if the deal for the 8th overall was similar to what you posted like the 37th overall, 2011 1st rounder, and LaRose (you're right he probably has the most value of the three).  Btw, I understand your concern with next years 1st, but I would think that it would have to be guaranteed for them to accept, and I would be fine with that.  Losing LaRose would be tough because he's a fan favorite, but if that's what it takes to get the 8th overall, then so be it.  The 37th and LaRose is a fair price to pay to take our 1st overall pick a year earlier and get Johansen's extremely high ceiling and keep his chemistry with Nino.  Bottom line, if we could make a deal like the one your proposed, I would be all for it.  

One other concern would be that Rutherford said today he thinks we won't be moving around in the draft and keep our picks.  I don't know if this only applies to 7th overall and leaves the opportunity for moving our 2nds, but the implication I got was that we'll keep all of our picks and draft as many prospects as we can to increase our chances of getting good players and restock our prospect pool as many of them move up to the NHL.  

Hmmm I guess that means he cant find a market for Sammy or Cole to make moves with. 

Well JR may only be referring to the speculation that we use 2 2nd rounders to get back into the 1st.   IDK only 2 more days til the draft we will see.  Come on JR give me something to be excited about. 

well the ATL trade pretty much kills my trade idea.  Oh well.

They still have their 8th, the first rounder they gave up was the one they got from New Jersey, the 24th.  There's still hope laugh.gif

I know they still have the 8th pick but reasons why they dont make the trade now

1. They wouldnt have a 1st round pick

2. They just picked up a good veteran forward that is better than cole, sammi, or larose

3. They are close to their budget and wont be able to add much more salary

I am still counting on a forward (sammi/cole/larose) plus a 2nd rounder this year, and something else (spec or 2011 pick) for a falling star that we are high on in the 1st round.