The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

I know they still have the 8th pick but reasons why they dont make the trade now

1. They wouldnt have a 1st round pick

2. They just picked up a good veteran forward that is better than cole, sammi, or larose

3. They are close to their budget and wont be able to add much more salary

I am still counting on a forward (sammi/cole/larose) plus a 2nd rounder this year, and something else (spec or 2011 pick) for a falling star that we are high on in the 1st round.

I gotcha. 

Yeah, and I would love to trade back into the late 1st to grab Tinordi if we go forward at 7.  My gut says we'll go Granlund and keep all of our picks. 

[quote name='Sutter16 wrote:

gocanes0506']I know they still have the 8th pick but reasons why they dont make the trade now

2. They just picked up a good veteran forward that is better than cole, sammi, or larose

I am still counting on a forward (sammi/cole/larose) plus a 2nd rounder this year, and something else (spec or 2011 pick) for a falling star that we are high on in the 1st round.

I gotcha. 

Yeah, and I would love to trade back into the late 1st to grab Tinordi if we go forward at 7.  My gut says we'll go Granlund and keep all of our picks. 

Picking Granlund at #7 would be a mistake IMO. He is more of a mid first round player. I would only pick him if we trade down & pick up another pick. I wouldn't pick him because he is too small. But if the Canes really want him then they should trade down with Ducks. #7 for #12 & #29.  Or trade with PHX #7 for #13 & #22.

With everything I'm reading it looks like the Canes will take the player with the most upside & that would be Ryan Johansen. I still want them to draft Nino or one of the top 3 D.

Well JR did say he was going to keep his picks

I am a fan of trading with PHX we may even be able slip sammi with the value of the 7th pick to get the 52nd pick as well.  We could then trade cole and 42nd pick for the 29th pick.  Ana will need 2nd line winger and have cap space.  3 1st rounders would replinish Charlotte like JR wants.  the 13th pick will have plenty of D men to chose and then 22nd will have other Dmen available and the 29th will have some wingers and centers available. 

Go RW Watson or D McIlrath at 13, D Tinordi, D Merrill, or a teen ranking faller, and 29 go with C Schwartz, D Faulk (only O dman on my list) or RW Coyle.  I would go with Watson, Tinordi, and Faulk.  Then go C and Wingers in the 2nd and possible Goalie in late 2nd or early third. 

Just crazy thoughts.

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

Sutter16 wrote:

gocanes0506']I know they still have the 8th pick but reasons why they dont make the trade now

I gotcha. 

Picking Granlund at #7 would be a mistake IMO. He is more of a mid first round player. I would only pick him if we trade down & pick up another pick. I wouldn't pick him because he is too small. But if the Canes really want him then they should trade down with Ducks. #7 for #12 & #29.  Or trade with PHX #7 for #13 & #22.

With everything I'm reading it looks like the Canes will take the player with the most upside & that would be Ryan Johansen. I still want them to draft Nino or one of the top 3 D.

There are over 5 picks we could make a 7 that would not be a mistake, there is so much uncertainty on where everyone sits in the rankings after hall and seguin, so there's no guarantee that he will be available if we trade down.  Also I highly doubt that either team gives up two firsts only to move up 5 or 6 spots.  He's the top rated European skater, and has been all year.  What makes him more of a mid-first guy?  His size isn't an issue, in his draft profile they raved all about him and how he played in a Mens league as an 17 year old and scored at a ppg pace.  The profile also made a point of saying that the Finnish league was the one that most likened the NHL style of play, meaning it is a great gauge of his future success in the NHL.  He's not like Burmistrov, he's a solid 180 and still could get bigger.  

What makes you think that Granlund doesn't have that upside?  From what I see everyone thinks he has the potential to excel greatly in this league, and to start playing next year.  JR also said that he hopes our pick will play here next season, Johansen has no hope of playing in the NHL next year.  Both players have great upside, but for now I have to think that Granlund is who we'll take.  Also having 3 finns on the team already helps.  

Of course if any of the big 3 fall to us, we will take them.  I really hope Gormley does.  If he doesn't, we'll go Granlund, Burmistrov or Johansen.

It appears tomorrow could be even more interesting than it already is. I didn't think JR was gonna sit on his hands if a deal can be made.

There are over 5 picks we could make a 7 that would not be a mistake, there is so much uncertainty on where everyone sits in the rankings after hall and seguin, so there's no guarantee that he will be available if we trade down.  Also I highly doubt that either team gives up two firsts only to move up 5 or 6 spots.  He's the top rated European skater, and has been all year.  What makes him more of a mid-first guy?  His size isn't an issue, in his draft profile they raved all about him and how he played in a Mens league as an 17 year old and scored at a ppg pace.  The profile also made a point of saying that the Finnish league was the one that most likened the NHL style of play, meaning it is a great gauge of his future success in the NHL.  He's not like Burmistrov, he's a solid 180 and still could get bigger.  

What makes you think that Granlund doesn't have that upside?  From what I see everyone thinks he has the potential to excel greatly in this league, and to start playing next year.  JR also said that he hopes our pick will play here next season, Johansen has no hope of playing in the NHL next year.  Both players have great upside, but for now I have to think that Granlund is who we'll take.  Also having 3 finns on the team already helps.  

Of course if any of the big 3 fall to us, we will take them.  I really hope Gormley does.  If he doesn't, we'll go Granlund, Burmistrov or Johansen.

Again, I'm not saying that he doesn't have upside. I would hope anyone picked at 7 has plenty of upside. Yes, he is #1 ES, but ISS has him #15, TSN #13, and Hockey News at #10. I think he would be a great pick between 10-15, and a steal after that. I would just rather have Nino at #7.

Yes, in TFEL he had almost a PPG pace, but only 13 goals in 43 games. Yes, I realize it was against older players. I still would try to trade down, and pick him at 12 or 13. Maybe the Canes would have to throw in a 2nd to make the trade work, but I believe either Granlund, Burmistrov, Skinner, or one of the next level of D would be available at 12 or 13.

If we pick Granlund over Johanson that would surprise me.  Not saying it won't happen, but most have Granlund as a 10-15 pick, regardless of the fact he was the highest ranked Euro.  I do agree that he has an upside similar to Johanson.  It will be fun to watch things unfold tommorrow.  

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

Sutter16']There are over 5 picks we could make a 7 that would not be a mistake, there is so much uncertainty on where everyone sits in the rankings after hall and seguin, so there's no guarantee that he will be available if we trade down.  Also I highly doubt that either team gives up two firsts only to move up 5 or 6 spots.  He's the top rated European skater, and has been all year.  What makes him more of a mid-first guy?  His size isn't an issue, in his draft profile they raved all about him and how he played in a Mens league as an 17 year old and scored at a ppg pace.  The profile also made a point of saying that the Finnish league was the one that most likened the NHL style of play, meaning it is a great gauge of his future success in the NHL.  He's not like Burmistrov, he's a solid 180 and still could get bigger.  

Again, I'm not saying that he doesn't have upside. I would hope anyone picked at 7 has plenty of upside. Yes, he is #1 ES, but ISS has him #15, TSN #13, and Hockey News at #10. I think he would be a great pick between 10-15, and a steal after that. I would just rather have Nino at #7.

Yes, in TFEL he had almost a PPG pace, but only 13 goals in 43 games. Yes, I realize it was against older players. I still would try to trade down, and pick him at 12 or 13. Maybe the Canes would have to throw in a 2nd to make the trade work, but I believe either Granlund, Burmistrov, Skinner, or one of the next level of D would be available at 12 or 13.

It could all change depending on the situation when we're up tomorrow night, but I doubt we'll move down.  Say we don't take Granlund at 7 (maybe Gormley falls to us) I would be willing to bet he's scooped up by Minnesota at 9.  From 3-15 there's no real set order because they are all good prospects, so I agree we'll still get a good player if we traded down to 12 or 13.  But I get the feeling that management is dead set on Granlund at this point and will not risk trading down if he's there at 7.  

For all we know, Nino could be gone before we pick at 7, and maybe JR knows that so isn't even bothering to talk about him.  That would bode well for our chances at Gormley.  And the reason he only scored 13 goals (still very good, over 20 goal pace for full 82 NHL schedule) is because he is a big time playmaker, his game is to set his teammates up and make whoever is playing with him better.  

If we pick Granlund over Johanson that would surprise me.  Not saying it won't happen, but most have Granlund as a 10-15 pick, regardless of the fact he was the highest ranked Euro.  I do agree that he has an upside similar to Johanson.  It will be fun to watch things unfold tommorrow.  

I still don't buy into management going for Johansen.  I'm sure he is a great prospect and will be a good player, but I just have a feeling that we will not take him if he's there at 7.  Also JR has been saying that our pick will most likely play here next year, and Johansen is still a year out at best from professional hockey.  

Here's to hoping JR is blowing smoke up all the other GMs posteriors. At the #7 spot, if you really covet a player, the last thing you want to for the other sharks to smell the blood.

Sutter - I'm starting to warm to Granlund. Been reading more about him this morning. Here is a good write up that I found this morning:

Carolina Hurricanes

No.7 – Mikael Granlund – 5-foot-10, 178 lbs – LC-F, HIFK Helsinki Finland

The plethora of North American talent has stepped up in strong numbers to provide GM's sleepless nights deciding if the stay "home" or act on their instinct to take diminutive offensive dynamo, despite the fact he doesn't have great speed, or "size." He is just too good to not get picked at least in the top round. I might take him at slot four if my team is well-stocked with defensive prospects. Will never be a hitter you takes pucks away with collisions, but he is difficult to knock off the puck and will be a point producer wherever he plays. Fearless. takes the crap, and actually gives as well as he gets. Tremendous skills, balance and vision. No matter at centre or wing, he distributes the puck excellently, and finishes equally as well. Unafraid of the rough going, he perseveres through heavy traffic where you get to see just how wonderful a stickhandler he is, and how he can change the gears he does has to make space for linemates or chances for himself. You don't want him on your defenseman one on one. Similar to Patrick Kane, in that he uses the half-boards as home on the PP, he stick-handles and passes his team to one scoring chance after another. He scores too, in bunches, because understands the flow game and effortlessly uses the ice given as plays develop. This hard-nosed little big man just fights through to that open space, and is the guy who concerns opponents at every juncture of the game. Can you say Saku Koivu?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com...Wiz-Mock-Draft/128/28987

Yes it is HB, but it is not EK doing this mock draft.

Good grief these mock drafts are all over the place. Certainly lend more intrigue to tonight.

Never seen a mock draft with Fowler dropping all the way to number 7. Definitely nice if it happened. Doubt it though. Definitely trade Babs if we did make this pick. Between McBain and Fowler we'd have our puck movers for the foreseeable future.

Also, Conolly up to #4. Really makes me think the Canes didn't interview him because they don't think he'll be there, and as subterfuge. More important to talk to his doctor than him. If he's healthy and he's at seven you take him.

Jonansen continues his rise up the mock draft board, now compared to Yzerman.

Never a dull moment.

TSN now reporting that as many as 4 first round picks are now available a full 7 hours before the draft. #4, #8, #15, & #22.

Go get one JR!

I like #22 owned by PHX...A west coast team looking for more picks. 2 of our 2nd rounders, or one 2nd & one 3rd should do it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325674

Get excited Remkin...& stay away from ledge!

EDIT: Add #5 to the list. NYI open for business.

I think getting the #4 pick would be great but the price might be to high. The #8 might be in reach. Today is going to be a lot of fun.

I think getting the #4 pick would be great but the price might be to high. The #8 might be in reach. Today is going to be a lot of fun.

I doubt we'll move up to #4 as well. I can't imagine that the price is something we could afford to give. I also highly doubt that we have the assets that Columbus would covet.

#8 is interesting, but isn't that Atlanta? I think we'd balk at doing something inside the division, given that Atlanta just made a big move with the Blackhawks. I'd hate to think a draft day trade continues to make them better for the sake of a draft pick. However, if El Nino and Johansen are both still on the board, do you try to get #8 so you can take them both? That would be something... risky... and if there's one thing JR isn't, it's risky.

#15 is where I'd try to get to. This is a very deep draft, but the more I look at the top 15 in the mocks and in the rankings, the more I think we could get a roster player at 7 and at 15 we could get someone who only needs a year (maybe two) in juniors/Charlotte. When you get down to 22 you're starting to wonder just how long it'll take for some of these guys to make it.

That's definitely the one bummer when you consider NHL draft vs. NBA or NFL draft. When you watch NBA/NFL, you know that pretty much everyone in the 1st round is going to be getting time with the big club that drafts them. In the NHL, some of these guys won't be heard from again for 3-4 years... if ever.

I officially hate having a job where I work nights and weekends.  I have a feeling tonight is going to be quite exciting not only as a Carolina Hurricanes fan but as a hockey fan in general.  Thank God for DVR.  Now if only I can make it through the night without any updates from friends so as to keep up the suspense when I watch it later on tonight.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

OBXer']

I doubt we'll move up to #4 as well. I can't imagine that the price is something we could afford to give. I also highly doubt that we have the assets that Columbus would covet.

#8 is interesting, but isn't that Atlanta? I think we'd balk at doing something inside the division, given that Atlanta just made a big move with the Blackhawks. I'd hate to think a draft day trade continues to make them better for the sake of a draft pick. However, if El Nino and Johansen are both still on the board, do you try to get #8 so you can take them both? That would be something... risky... and if there's one thing JR isn't, it's risky.

#15 is where I'd try to get to. This is a very deep draft, but the more I look at the top 15 in the mocks and in the rankings, the more I think we could get a roster player at 7 and at 15 we could get someone who only needs a year (maybe two) in juniors/Charlotte. When you get down to 22 you're starting to wonder just how long it'll take for some of these guys to make it.

That's definitely the one bummer when you consider NHL draft vs. NBA or NFL draft. When you watch NBA/NFL, you know that pretty much everyone in the 1st round is going to be getting time with the big club that drafts them. In the NHL, some of these guys won't be heard from again for 3-4 years... if ever.

#8 is Atlanta and in normal years I would say that might be enough to stop a deal but this year we seem to be on a total rebuild and hope for the best this year while Atlanta seems to be on a  fast track to turn their team around. Atlanta needs fans in the stands now and one of our roster players + some other compensation (maybe latter round draft pick) might be attractive.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we get #15 if the price isn't to high.