The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

witchking-ch1 wrote:

OBXer']I think getting the #4 pick would be great but the price might be to high. The #8 might be in reach. Today is going to be a lot of fun.

I doubt we'll move up to #4 as well. I can't imagine that the price is something we could afford to give. I also highly doubt that we have the assets that Columbus would covet.

#8 is interesting, but isn't that Atlanta? I think we'd balk at doing something inside the division, given that Atlanta just made a big move with the Blackhawks. I'd hate to think a draft day trade continues to make them better for the sake of a draft pick. However, if El Nino and Johansen are both still on the board, do you try to get #8 so you can take them both? That would be something... risky... and if there's one thing JR isn't, it's risky.

#15 is where I'd try to get to. This is a very deep draft, but the more I look at the top 15 in the mocks and in the rankings, the more I think we could get a roster player at 7 and at 15 we could get someone who only needs a year (maybe two) in juniors/Charlotte. When you get down to 22 you're starting to wonder just how long it'll take for some of these guys to make it.

That's definitely the one bummer when you consider NHL draft vs. NBA or NFL draft. When you watch NBA/NFL, you know that pretty much everyone in the 1st round is going to be getting time with the big club that drafts them. In the NHL, some of these guys won't be heard from again for 3-4 years... if ever.

#8 is Atlanta and in normal years I would say that might be enough to stop a deal but this year we seem to be on a total rebuild and hope for the best this year while Atlanta seems to be on a  fast track to turn their team around. Atlanta needs fans in the stands now and one of our roster players + some other compensation (maybe latter round draft pick) might be attractive.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we get #15 if the price isn't to high.

15 or 22 is the perfect spot for us to pick up that 2nd tier D-Man (Pysyk, Forbert, McIrath)...I'd be stunned if we did not go offense with #7 and I'm feeling Granlund. 

#15 is owned by Florida. So, I don't see them trading with us, but it has been done before.

#4 is CBJ, & we could swap picks plus add a 2nd rounder to move up to get one of the top 3 D. We did this with them before in 2004 to get Ladd. I don't think we could afford #4 & keep #7, but that would be awesome depending of course on what went back to CBJ.

Going to be a fun night.

Dreger now reporting that the Isles have their pick in the mix and St. Louis as well at #14.

I wonder what the price is to move up two spots. It would guarantee us getting one of the top 3 d-men.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

Law-Dawg']Dreger now reporting that the Isles have their pick in the mix and St. Louis as well at #14.

I wonder what the price is to move up two spots. It would guarantee us getting one of the top 3 d-men.

I don't know if I like moving up to #5 for a D-Man unless we can still move to the mid first round for a guy like Burmistrov (he's got some serious Lbs to put on though).  I like staying at 7 for a offense and a potential impact next year and then moving to 14 or the low 20s for D and let that player develop a-la McBain or Doumolin.

How hard can it be to put pounds on these kids? Give me 3 weeks, and I'll guarantee you I'll put 15 pounds on any of them!

Biscuitville or Bojangles for breakfast every day. Minimum of two biscuits, and a large sweet tea!

BBQ, slaw, potato salad, baked beans and hush puppies for lunch. Sweet tea.

Same thing for dinner! laugh.gif

An interesting article in theChicago Sun-Times about drafting Keith AFTER Babchuck.   Keith was the 16th defenseman taken.  Babs was also taken by Chicago in the first round.

It just sheds a little light on why JR is so gun-shy about taking a D-man in the first round.  Yeah, yeah, and we also know about his first hand experience...

I just didn't realize that Babs and Teeth were in the same draft.  Kinda interesting.

Trust me draft Jeff Skinner. I'm a kitchener guy and i see every ranger game. This kid can score. If JR can move up by just giving up a second rounder to draft Gudbranson or Fowler then do it but if Gudbranson and Fowler are taking when it comes to pick 7 take Skinner. Will be a great asset for Staal!

How hard can it be to put pounds on these kids? Give me 3 weeks, and I'll guarantee you I'll put 15 pounds on any of them!

Biscuitville or Bojangles for breakfast every day. Minimum of two biscuits, and a large sweet tea!

BBQ, slaw, potato salad, baked beans and hush puppies for lunch. Sweet tea.

Same thing for dinner! laugh.gif

That is the kind of diet I can really get into...

Getting into my pants 3 weeks from now might be a different story.

As much as those kids exercise, it won't be going to their waistlines! Me, I'd need new pants if I did that for 3 weeks straight. But you could make sure they work out! When I was 18, me and my friends would eat like horses, and not gain weight.

JR said size doesn't matter with our pick, and also said that there are 2 guys we want, and he's confident we'll get one of them.  Granlund or Burmistrov. 

ice_chip - My thoughts: Burmistrov stock rising, Granlund stock dropping. Some guessing now that Cam Fowler may be there at 7. If so, Canes may pass.

Say it isn't so...

taylor hall.. going to be quite ...  a player .. will be  fun to watch.. going to get to see  him in nov...

bruins loaded with centers... tyler  seguin.. one of those centers will be traded at some point..