The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

ex-Canes, what is their future

A. Ward:   I believe I remember an interview when he was traded that this was his last season.

Cullen:  I'd like to see him back. Staal centers the 1st line; Sutter centers the 2nd line; Cullen centers the 3rd line and from an article I read, probably Rod on #4.

Corvo:  Too expensive.

Walker:  Like his grit, but does not fit the youth movement.

Gonna throw this out there: Andrew Ladd, though the Blackhawks have extended a qualifying offer on the RFA. You know JR likes to bring players back.

now that the first round of the playoffs is over, what is the future of the players such as Corvo, Walker, and Cullen?  What are the chances we will see them back as Canes?

Walker: retire. He's mid-thirties, has struggled through injuries. Played a reduced role for us and then was a scratch most of the time for Washington. I don't see him coming back here nor do I see a team taking a flier on him because of his recent injury history.

Corvo: he'll go in the 2nd phase of UFAs, but not to Carolina. Joe is in his early thirties and will be looking for a substantial contract, probably 3 or 4 years in the $3m+ if he can get it.

Cullen: Lots of rumors that Ottawa wants him back and that he'd like to stay there. Again, early thirties, probably not coming back to Carolina. While he might be in the right price range and probably would fill a need, I'd be wary -- if I were him -- given that we've offloaded him twice now.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

colliefan']

now that the first round of the playoffs is over, what is the future of the players such as Corvo, Walker, and Cullen?  What are the chances we will see them back as Canes?

Cullen: Lots of rumors that Ottawa wants him back and that he'd like to stay there. Again, early thirties, probably not coming back to Carolina. While he might be in the right price range and probably would fill a need, I'd be wary -- if I were him -- given that we've offloaded him twice now.

Correction. We did not "offload him twice".  The first time, in 2006, we offered him a contract, and he signed with the Rangers for

more pay, and then regretted it. We traded for him to come back, because we couldn't fill the hole at center that he left. This last time we

had to trade and it was painful for both Matt and JR. Both understood neither wanted to have to do that.

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

witchking-ch1 wrote:

colliefan']

Cullen: Lots of rumors that Ottawa wants him back and that he'd like to stay there. Again, early thirties, probably not coming back to Carolina.
While he might be in the right price range and probably would fill a need, I'd be wary -- if I were him -- given that we've offloaded him twice now.

Correction. We did not "offload him twice".  The first time, in 2006, we offered him a contract, and he signed with the Rangers for

more pay, and then regretted it. We traded for him to come back, because we couldn't fill the hole at center that he left. This last time we

had to trade and it was painful for both Matt and JR. Both understood neither wanted to have to do that.

I stand corrected.

The only player I'd want to see back is Cullen. He's proven to be a good fit as a center on the energy line no matter which players we put with him and has proven that when needed, he can be productive for us on a higher line.

Not sure we can afford him. There aren't a ton of guys available this year that will have their pick of destinations, but I suspect he will be one of them that sees more than one or two interested clubs, which could put him out of our price range. I'd be nice if when he thinks it through he remembers that he's been most the productive here, but like in 2006, if someone is going to throw a big contract at him, he'd be foolish to pass it up, especially as he's now going to be looking at the other side of 30.

outside of Matt I don't care to recycle any other Canes players. It's been a downfall of this team in my opinion.  J.R. needs to build it up with fresh players. Bringing Corvo or Walker wouldn't really solve much. walker is always injured, corvo is extremely streaky and although he takes on a ton of ice-time I don't think he was anything spectacular.

Don't think we re-sign Cullen though, which I'm fine with. It's a weak free agent year, and he will probably get a high-priced offer.

Sporstnet reported Leights was resigned.

SPORTSNET's Nick Kypreos reports the Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed goaltender Michael Leighton to a two-year deal worth $3.1 million.

Good for Leighton.

Following the former goalie thread, the Avs announced a signing today.   Notice his "stunning" numbers.  Yikes!

From the Av's web site:

The Avalanche also announced today that the club has agreed to terms with defenseman David Liffiton, forwards Greg Mauldin,
Julian Talbot
and David Van Der Gulik, and goaltenders Jason Bacashihua and
John Grahame
all to one-year deals.

Grahame, 34, ended the 2009-10 season in the Avalanche’s system, appearing in 14 games with Lake Erie.  He also played in 12 games with the AHL’s Adirondack Phantoms.  Grahame was a combined 6-17-3 with a 3.17 GAA between the two stops.  A native of Denver, Grahame has appeared in 224 career NHL games, posting a 97-86-18 record with a 2.79 GAA and 12 shutouts.  

Selected by Boston (229th overall) in the 1994 Entry Draft, Grahame has played for the Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning and Carolina Hurricanes.  He captured a Stanley Cup as a member of the Lightning in 2003-04 and represented the United States at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Torino, Italy.

Grahame's momma has worked in the Av's front office for years. Still, with those numbers, not exactly a great backup to the backup, eh?

Spector's Hockey is reporting Manny is headed east...way east.

DIENA.LV:
reports former NHL goaltender Manny Legace has signed with Dinamo Riga of the KH
L.

Read the other day Manny says he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

sad day.. Sabres signed Conboy.. sigh..
I think Conboy will fit in better with the Sabres system than with our current team direction. I'm happy he found a team but of all the teams in North America did he really need to choose the "Ice Cows" system?

Not sure where to put this but Andrew Ladd is an ex-Cane...right?

x2_206317e

He is, but last I heard he was going to arbitration in Atlanta (or should I say South Chicago Thrashhawks). I suppose if they walk away from the arbitration that he'd be a free agent... but I have no idea where we'd put him.

I dont think he'd sign here even with the opportunity, we threw the towel in on him that's gotta leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Can we have Corv...oh wait.. Nevermind..

Ha yeah you guys won out on that one.  2nd rounder, Osala, and Corvo for...nothing?  Yay George McPhee!

I'm kinda curious why you guys haven't picked up Belanger.. He was great for you guys. He can't be THAT expensive either..

I completely agree, actually, with all the remaining UFA centers, Belanger would be the best fit for us.  I think what's going on is we're waiting to see what happens with Tomas Fleischman in Arbitration, if they don't settle they're going to shop the market.  But if they do, I think Flash might be our second line center, and I am definitely NOT a big fan of that.  What about your center situation?  Who's filling in the empty slot with Brind'Amour gone?

Thats kind of up in the air, but it will most likely be Riley Nash. He was drafted 21st overall in the 2007 draft by Edmonton. He didn't want to sign with them, so we traded a second round pick for him, and he decided to sign with us. I'm pretty excited about him actually.

So, you would pick Belanger as your second line center over Fleischmann?