The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniacbeej

Weak East one of the reasons

If wishes were horses, the beggars would ride.  My Grandmother used to say that.  Of course, Granny was kinda crazy.

Don't kid yourself.  There's a very good reason the Hurricanes did not qualify for the playoffs.  They weren't good enough.

Sure, they did well against some of the top Eastern teams.  For one game.  Play a best of 7 series and .... well .... anything

can happen.  Both good and bad. The 'Canes have proven that in the past.  Regular season.  Playoff hockey.  It's not the

same thing.  The Hurricanes have their work cut out for them to even qualify for the playoffs.   Even Granny knew that.

Yea 6,7,8 seeds: MAAAAAAANNNNN!!!! real powerhouses those guys. Thanks for helping make my point. Anything CAN happen. Said when we played our best hockey, we competed with anybody. Everybody wants to sign new players. How about the outdated idea(obviously) of getting the ones you have to play to their potential. Ever seen Tom Izzo or Jim Valvano or Bill Parcells do anything like that?

There's a very good reason the Hurricanes did not qualify for the playoffs.  They weren't good enough.

I don't think it's that black and white. The Hurricanes from the first half of the season weren't good enough. The second half is a totally different story. Had that 14 game losing streak *from the first half of the season* only been a 7 game streak, we'd probably be in. My point is, there were TWO Hurricanes teams this season and it's unfair to cast the second half team in the same light as the first half team, as being "not good enough." In the end, you are right, they weren't good enough to get in, but they were hot down the stretch which plays into playoff success. It'd be more fair to qualify that statement by saying, "they weren't good enough to overcome the hole the first half team dug." They had one of the best records in the league in the 2010 calendar year. I think caniacbeej makes a valid point.

[quote name='hctimo787 wrote:

davidrabbit']There's a very good reason the Hurricanes did not qualify for the playoffs.  They weren't good enough.

I don't think it's that black and white. The Hurricanes from the first half of the season weren't good enough. The second half is a totally different story. Had that 14 game losing streak *from the first half of the season* only been a 7 game streak, we'd probably be in. My point is, there were TWO Hurricanes teams this season and it's unfair to cast the second half team in the same light as the first half team, as being "not good enough." In the end, you are right, they weren't good enough to get in, but they were hot down the stretch which plays into playoff success. It'd be more fair to qualify that statement by saying, "they weren't good enough to overcome the hole the first half team dug." They had one of the best records in the league in the 2010 calendar year. I think caniacbeej makes a valid point.

Eh, maybe.  I was having a Jim Mora moment.  Still, it's easy to win when there's no pressure - and there's no pressure

when you're eliminated by New Year's Day.  You can play the spoiler.  Take chances you ordinarily wouldn't - and look

pretty good in the process.  Overall, it doesn't matter.  Until you win when you're supposed to - you haven't done anything.

If you would assign letter grades to determine good and bad, in my opinion, it should look like this:

Fail to qualify for the playoffs ..................F

Qualify, but lose in the 1st round..............D

Make the playoffs & win round 1............C

Lose in Rd 2 in a great series...................B

Make the conference final, or more ........A

Obviously, in the last 4 years, the 'Canes have 3 F's and an A.  Granted, the 2nd half improvement holds promise.

Next year is an opportunity to turn the promise into fact.  The Hurricanes were 10-7-3 after the trade deadline.

Do that over a whole season and you'll probably make the playoffs.  So, to borrow a Nike slogan .... just do it.

Yea 6,7,8 seeds: MAAAAAAANNNNN!!!! real powerhouses those guys. Thanks for helping make my point. Anything CAN happen. Said when we played our best hockey, we competed with anybody. Everybody wants to sign new players. How about the outdated idea(obviously) of getting the ones you have to play to their potential. Ever seen Tom Izzo or Jim Valvano or Bill Parcells do anything like that?
Anything can happen if you qualify.  We didn't.  End of story.  

I've said before that the coaching staff has done a great job getting good performances from every prospect, every

recall, every career minor-leaguer.  All 3 goaltenders did a fine job.  Maybe every one was playing to their potential.

So they next time you want to accuse someone of having unrealistic expectations, maybe they are no so unrealistic when it all shakes out.GOOOOOO CANES.................
So who or what are you addressing, exactly?

caniacbeej, not a big deal but could you check your PM please.