The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

Canes sign Jared Staal to a 3 year entry level contract

Probably this. smile.gif  (might want to change the title)

Canes acquire Jared Staal

Carolina deals a fifth-round pick for rights to winger

Thursday, 05.13.2010 / 3:54 PM / News
By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired the rights to right wing Jared Staal from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

“While Jared has yet to reach his full potential, we believe his upside gives him a chance play at the NHL level in the future,” said Rutherford. “This could be an ideal situation for Jared, to continue his development in the same system as his oldest brother, Eric.” 

Staal, 19, totaled 12 goals and 37 assists (49 points) in 59 games this season for Sudbury of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), leading the Wolves in assists (37). He also played in five games for San Antonio of the American Hockey League (AHL) at the conclusion of Sudbury’s season, earning one assist. Selected by the Coyotes in the second round, 49th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Staal has played four seasons for Sudbury, earning 54 goals and 99 assists (153 points) in 249 games played. He has one assist in 10 career AHL games, all with San Antonio. Staal (6’3”, 198 lbs.), scored a goal in the 2008 Top Prospects Game, and netted the game-winning goal for Sudbury in the 2007 OHL Conference Finals. Each of his three older brothers play in the NHL, including Eric, who serves as the Hurricanes’ captain.

The Hurricanes have until June 1 to sign Staal to an entry-level contract, or he would re-enter the draft. The pick traded for Staal originally belonged to the Nashville Predators, and was conditionally acquired by the Hurricanes on June 19, 2008, along with Darcy Hordichuk in exchange for Carolina’s fifth-round pick in 2009.

Thank you Hordichuk...

I'm excited about this... it's the best place for him to go.  Eric needs to really take his younger brother under his wing and that will also help with Eric's leadership skills with the Canes.  Sounds like a great situation for everyone.

Sounds like Henry and Linda may be looking for some semi-permanent property in NC.  They can keep a close eye on Jared in Charlotte, be within striking distance of the grandchild(ren) in Raleigh and be a quick plane trip away from NY and Pittsburgh.

At the very least, JR may have just made one of the biggest PR moves for this franchise since re-signing Ron Francis if Jared pans out.  We could soon have 1/2 of Canada's current 1st family, in addition to Brandon of the famed Sutter clan all here in Raleigh.  No way will the Canadian media overlook that.  I bet Versus will though laugh.gif

Edit:  I wonder if fans around the league will start calling us the Carolina Staal's like we call the Caps the Washington Ovechkins and the Pens, the Pittsburgh Crosby's.  

does jared eat at subway?? sorry couldnt resist.. good to see another staal.. word was jared  had the best tools of all a few years back..when is jordan a free agent?

What an awesome move!  I sure hope the fans in Charlotte realize how fortunate they are.  Sure wish I still lived in NC.  I will make some trips to Charlotte to see the Checker-Canes, and hope to get to Raleigh a couple of times too!  

well i had read the CH.com article. He was the later half of the 2nd round pick. A good value if J signs with us. I dont see either of the Staal brothers coming this way. I would LOVE to see Jordan staal as the Pens are so deep at the center and need to free cap space. Still dont see it happening and I still dont know if the rumor of Eric not wanting to play with jordan is true.

I guess I dont know much about his background but why would a team give up a 19 year old for a 5th. That's really giving up on him.

Here's praying the fanbase understands he's not Eric and may never be as good as him. So tired of reading player topics of guys being ripped into, can't imagine the field day people will have if Jared can't be his brother in 3 years.

I guess I dont know much about his background but why would a team give up a 19 year old for a 5th. That's really giving up on him.

Here's praying the fanbase understands he's not Eric and may never be as good as him. So tired of reading player topics of guys being ripped into, can't imagine the field day people will have if Jared can't be his brother in 3 years.

PHX couldn't get him signed to an entry level contract. So rather than lose him for nothing in two weeks they pick up a 5th round pick. Now the Canes have until June 1st to sign him or he re-enters this years draft, and the Canes will get nothing for that 5th round pick.

Jared will probably never be as good as Eric, but he does have the potential to eventually be a NHL player. He just needs time to develop his game. Canes will need to be very patience with him.

Sign him now JR!

Second this.  But, I do hope the different surroundings here in Carolina might help his development.  Who knows?

I can't really blame any young player for having second thoughts about re-signing in the Phoenix system.  I'm all for Phoenix turning it around and becoming a strong NHL franchise but if the ownership, questionable future and shaky business side of that franchise isn't unsettling enough, the fact that they already have a team full of very young talent which would put him way down on any depth chart for a few years would help any decision to try for a fresh start in another city.  

It doesn't sound like Phoenix gave up on his development to me, like rocheccw said, he maybe didn't want to re-sign there knowing he would have a better opportunity elsewhere with a more stable franchise who coincidentally just relocated their AHL team and is looking to make a big splash in the state of NC.  What better way is there to tie the AHL team to the parent NHL team who's now just a short 2 1/2 hour drive away from Raleigh?  You sign the younger brother of your franchise captain there to help create a buzz in Charlotte that will peak the attention of the hockey world if Jared has some success.  Its a low risk/high reward situation for all involved and the Canes have every reason to be very patient with his development.

You guys are right though about the expectations of the fans needing be to be kept in check, this kid has enough pressure wearing the name Staal on his back.   If there was ever a market proven to be very patient, supportive and even forgiving in even the worst of situations, he's coming to the right place.

This is a good move as all I have heard from the brothers is Jared is the best of them all. Yes, he needs time to develop but growing up in the Staal family and being the youngest, I am sure he had to fight to get a stick on the puck in the back yard. One thing though, I love my Canes but I am not a huge believer in E. Staal. Many people have said he played injuried this year and I have heard it reported that he needs shoulder surgery. Well, as bad as the year was, he should have taken the time to get everything fixed for this next year. I am not putting him down...yet! 2010/11 will be the year for him to regain my respect. (Like anyone really cares!...lol)

But picking up Jared may be what we need. I would like to see Jordan and Mark here as well but that may be asking for too much. Four brothers playing on the same team and the oldest being the Captain, that could be hazardous to the rest of the team. I will take the time to drive down to Charlotte to see Jared play, we will sign him - I am sure, to see what he's got. I just hope this is not a PR thing JR worked out. We need players with grit and determination. THAT'S what E. Staal needs to bring this next year!!!!

YAY, something Canes related to talk about! Considering Jared was a second round pick, and JR got him for a 5th round pick, this is a good Hockey move. Who's to say that Jared didn't call Eric and let him know he wasn't going to re-sign with Phoenix? Maybe Jared wanted a familiar face within driving distance. Jared was the only Staal "owned" by a West Coast team. Don't know if that matters at all, but it's fun to speculate.

The thing I like most about the 3 Staal's in the NHL, is that they see the game so well. All three are good positionally and overall smart hockey players. I expect the same from Jared, whether or not he's a point producer. This is a solid move by JR. It makes sense on many levels. Getting a 2nd round player for a 5th round pick, uniting him in some capacity with his brother the same year the Canes AHL affiliate will be in Charlotte. Good move.

I can't really blame any young player for having second thoughts about re-signing in the Phoenix system.  I'm all for Phoenix turning it around and becoming a strong NHL franchise but if the ownership, questionable future and shaky business side of that franchise isn't unsettling enough, the fact that they already have a team full of very young talent which would put him way down on any depth chart for a few years would help any decision to try for a fresh start in another city.  

It doesn't sound like Phoenix gave up on his development to me, like rocheccw said, he maybe didn't want to re-sign there knowing he would have a better opportunity elsewhere with a more stable franchise who coincidentally just relocated their AHL team and is looking to make a big splash in the state of NC.  What better way is there to tie the AHL team to the parent NHL team who's now just a short 2 1/2 hour drive away from Raleigh?  You sign the younger brother of your franchise captain there to help create a buzz in Charlotte that will peak the attention of the hockey world if Jared has some success.  Its a low risk/high reward situation for all involved and the Canes have every reason to be very patient with his development.

You guys are right though about the expectations of the fans needing be to be kept in check, this kid has enough pressure wearing the name Staal on his back.   If there was ever a market proven to be very patient, supportive and even forgiving in even the worst of situations, he's coming to the right place.

I think you summed it up just about perfectly here TSA. A low risk possibly high reward move. JR is the master of those.

The only downside I can see is that we are also a team that will suddenly be full of lots of young prospects, between Tlusty/Boychuk/Bowman/Dalpe/Osala/Samson and all of our upcoming picks. Staal will still have to earn a spot. The main problem might come if our superstar is not happy with the way the Hurricanes are handling his little brother. I'm not saying this is likely, just a possibility.

From an organizational point of view this is all great stuff. What is likely to happen is that several of these guys develop and are traded, or are traded as prospects. After this draft is over we are going to have a really nice farm system.

Anyway, seems like a great move if he gets signed, and one has to think with Eric around that has already been dealt with.

I'd be very disappointed if our farm team finished any less then 6th best in the AHL next year and didn't beat the snot out of Hershey each chance they got.

Looks like the Canes have taken care of that whole "let's get him signed" business. Happy to see they didn't waste any time.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=529160

Hurricanes agree to terms with Jared Staal
Friday, 05.14.2010 / 12:05 PM /
NHL.com

, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League's
, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with right wing
on a three-year, entry-level contract. The deal will pay Staal $500,000at the NHL level in 2010-11, and $525,000 at the NHL level in 2011-12and 2012-13. He will be paid $50,000 on the AHL level in all threeseasons, and receives a signing bonus of $150,000. Staal was acquiredon Thursday from the
in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Staal, 19, totaled 12 goals and 37 assists (49 points) in 59 games thisseason for Sudbury of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), leading theWolves in assists (37). He also played in five games for San Antonio ofthe American Hockey League (AHL) at the conclusion of Sudbury's season,earning one assist. Selected by the Coyotes in the second round, 49thoverall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Staal played four seasons forSudbury, earning 54 goals and 99 assists (153 points) in 249 gamesplayed. He has one assist in 10 career AHL games, all with San Antonio.Staal (6'3”, 198 lbs.), scored a goal in the 2008 Top Prospects Game,and netted the game-winning goal for Sudbury in the 2007 OHL ConferenceFinals. All of his three older brothers play in the NHL, includingEric, who serves as the Hurricanes' captain.

remkin
wrote:

The only downside I can see is that we are also a team that will suddenly be full of lots of young prospects, between Tlusty/Boychuk/Bowman/Dalpe/Osala/Samson and all of our upcoming picks. Staal will still have to earn a spot. The main problem might come if our superstar is not happy with the way the Hurricanes are handling his little brother. I'm not saying this is likely, just a possibility.

From an organizational point of view this is all great stuff. What is likely to happen is that several of these guys develop and are traded, or are traded as prospects. After this draft is over we are going to have a really nice farm system.

Anyway, seems like a great move if he gets signed, and one has to think with Eric around that has already been dealt with.

We have several great prospects right now, some are ready to make the jump this year and others are maybe a year or less right behind them.  JStaal's signing imo was about building the next level of prospects for when this current class graduates to the NHL.  When Phoenix drafted him they knew he needed several years of development and even Mr. Staal told in the media after that draft that Jared wasn't developmentally where his brothers were at the same point in their development and would need more time.  Where Phoenix has drafted high for many years, they're stocked with developing talent and the Canes, especially after we see which of this current group of AHLers makes the jump either to start or within the first half of the season, will need replenishing for the next few years.  If things go as could be planned, JStaal should be ready to make an impact in 2-3 years.

I wouldn't worry much about big brother being too involved with the handling of younger brother.  He may or may not of helped get him in the door but from here on out, Eric knows its all up to Jared.  He's probably very happy that Jared was given the opportunity by the Canes that was slipping away in Phoenix.

PS: Thank you JR for giving us something Canes hockey related to talk about smile.gif

Based on his numbers he has a long way to go.  I hope he makes it to the NHL level someday but chances are he doesn't.  Still a good move.  Plenty of upside.  Maybe he can train with Eric during the offseason and he'll learn what it takes to make it to the NHL.  He can always change his game and focus on defense.  He has the potential to be a good third or fourth liner IMO.  

Interesting tid bit. Canes now get both Dalpe, and Staal.

During the 2008 NHL Draft Canes wanted to pick Jared Staal with the 45th pick, but couldn't pass on Zac Dalpe who was the highest player left on the Canes draft board. They even considered Dalpe a steal at 45, because they had him rated as a 1st round(Top 30) pick.

Dalpe was the pick & Staal went four picks later to Phoenix. Now they have both sign entry level contracts with the Canes!