The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Q & A with 107

Marcus, having a skating question for you. I have not ice skated in quite some time and will be going to a couple of public skate sessions here in Raleigh (I have tics for Skate with the Canes and do not want to look too bad). What advice can you give me to "stay on my feet and move forward?"

Marcus, having a skating question for you. I have not ice skated in quite some time and will be going to a couple of public skate sessions here in Raleigh (I have tics for Skate with the Canes and do not want to look too bad). What advice can you give me to "stay on my feet and move forward?"

Well first of all, have sharp skates. Sharp skates help you dig in and stay balanced. If you don't like really sharp skates, get them sharped and move your foot back and forth a few times sideways on a rubber mat. This will removed some of the edge.

When you get onto the ice, grab a hold of the boards. It takes time to get use to the feeling. Even for me, who skates a tonne, if I were to take a month off and get back on the ice it feels weird and I need a few minutes to get back into it. Though I don't hold the boards. :-p

From there move slowly along the boards. Its ok to hold them at first. Get the motion going. Then when you feel more confident, move a bit away from the boards. Don't try to go to slow. Going slow hinders balance. You need speed. I'm not saying go super fast, just have enough that you can move and stay in control.

Bend your knees. This makes you lean forward and gives you power in your stride. Push back and out with your legs one at a time and keep speeding it up.

And don't be afraid to fall. We all fall...even me. Though I'm usually assisted by a player. If I can take a 19 year old running me over and get up from that, falling won't hurt you. Just don't use your wrists to stop you falling. This will cause injuries.

I've actually trained myself to fall backwards while tucking my head in to my chest, and my arms across my chest. This way I'm falling on my butt first and then moving to my back. I've got equiptment there so it doesn't hurt me. I wouldn't suggest it though without equiptment.

Hope this kinda helps. I'm no skating instructor. Any other members feel free to help out.

Come to the Icehouse in Cary during the public skate after 8 or 9 pm on weekdays and practice. Usually there are less than 10-15 people on the ice so you'll have plenty of room.

Here's a link: http://www.icehouserinks.com/cary/schedules.html

Marcus? I have a question....What are you wearing? LOL ! I'm just kidding.

I've learned a lot reading all of these pages. You're a pro and it shows :)

don't you know?? he moderates in a maple leaf thong!!!

Marcus? I have a question....What are you wearing? LOL ! I'm just kidding.

I've learned a lot reading all of these pages. You're a pro and it shows :)

don't you know?? he moderates in a maple leaf thong!!!

The thought of that really scares me, and its about me to boot. :shock:

Marcus, as you can tell, we "must be bored" or have way too much time on our hands. You know we're kiddin' wiff ya !

LOL Body Slam. No asking me for pictures. :wink:

i don't envy you, my son has no marriage plans any time soon though he is talking about law school once he finishes at NCState.

Marcus, I've seen a few requests from Carolina fans throughout the months pondering this one I'm tried of seeing it...Please answer once and for all...

I believe it's:

'Where are the 1,2,3,4 and (most important) 5 shot (which we all know) actually attack the goalie '5 hole' etc'...why are the rest of the wholes at?

Marcus, I've seen a few requests from Carolina fans throughout the months pondering this one I'm tried of seeing it...Please answer once and for all...

I believe it's:

'Where are the 1,2,3,4 and (most important) 5 shot (which we all know) actually attack the goalie '5 hole' etc'...why are the rest of the wholes at?

Hmm, I have no idea. I'd guess above left and right shoulder, and left and right legs.

hmmm... ok Marcus, why did you change your screen name from Admin on the old boards to Ref107 on these boards?

My user name has for the longest time been Ref107. That's what it was on the old phpbb boards. When we moved to the proboards, it was a temp thing that actually turned out to be longer than anyone expected. Proboards automatically issues the "admin" name when you sign up for the board and since I thought it was only for a week or so, I never bothered to change it.

And 107 is my referee number for one of the leauges I work in.

I believe it's:

Hmm, I have no idea. I'd guess above left and right shoulder, and left and right legs.

Four corners of the net and through the goalie's legs. If you're not going to for the five hole, it's known as "picking corners".

Ref....I do not envy your job in anyway.

We were at the game Sunday night and the crowd starting shouting "You suck ref" and yes, I do agree there were a few missed calls but I told my daughter that the crowd chanting that only makes the refs angry and you're not accomplishing anything. Is that correct? I know there was something in another post similar to this but this term seems to be used a lot at our games.

Ref....I do not envy your job in anyway.

We were at the game Sunday night and the crowd starting shouting "You suck ref" and yes, I do agree there were a few missed calls but I told my daughter that the crowd chanting that only makes the refs angry and you're not accomplishing anything. Is that correct? I know there was something in another post similar to this but this term seems to be used a lot at our games.

Fans don't have that big of an impact on us. Half the time we don't hear them, half the time we laugh at them. Occasionally we'll call something just to piss off a certain fan so much we have grounds to throw him out and like I did a few months ago, threaten to arrest him under the Trespass to Property Act. :-p

But yeah, you definately don't accomplish anything positive from yelling at us. We never ever take the fans seriously and therefore won't ever do what they "suggest" we do.