The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Q & A with 107

I have a hard time believing that you can't hear the fans chanting "Ref you suck", especially if most of the arena is doing so (ala Flyers game). If we can hear the players shouting calls from the ice, you should be able to hear hundreds of fans expressing their disapproval for a missed call.

And I know you probably get it a lot, but I would think that if (judging from the crowd's reaction), there were many "missed calls", you might start looking a little closer to see what you may be missing.

Well maybe i am in the minority here but that is what sorta got me hooked on hockey, fan interaction. Where else in this wide world of sports can you sit with 18,000 of your closest friends (ok sort of a relative term here) and chant "Ref You Suck!!". Now I know it has no impact on the Ref's or else we would see them curling up and crying on the ice (haven't seen that one yet) but it just feels good to "get it out"!!

I have a hard time believing that you can't hear the fans chanting "Ref you suck", especially if most of the arena is doing so (ala Flyers game). If we can hear the players shouting calls from the ice, you should be able to hear hundreds of fans expressing their disapproval for a missed call.

And I know you probably get it a lot, but I would think that if (judging from the crowd's reaction), there were many "missed calls", you might start looking a little closer to see what you may be missing.

I can hear them on tv as well as the goalie chants!!

We use selective hearing. We tune out the fans. I rarely hear comments the fans say. I've heard nosie, but that's all I hear. And in all honestly, I have never changed how I call a game based on fans reaction.

Marcus, I've seen a few requests from Carolina fans throughout the months pondering this one I'm tried of seeing it...Please answer once and for all...

I believe it's:

'Where are the 1,2,3,4 and (most important) 5 shot (which we all know) actually attack the goalie '5 hole' etc'...why are the rest of the wholes at?

There are EIGHT holes.

1. High, over the glove.

2. Low, under the glove.

3. High, over the blocker.

4. Low, under the blocker and past the stick.

5. Between the legpads and past the stick.

6. Between the blocker arm and chest.

7. Between the glove arm and chest.

8. Directly over the head of the goalkeeper.

We use selective hearing. We tune out the fans. I rarely hear comments the fans say. I've heard nosie, but that's all I hear. And in all honestly, I have never changed how I call a game based on fans reaction.

You ever think maybe you should? Most hockey fans are knowledgable about what is deserving of a penalty and what isn't, and they have a different view than you refs do. Obviously, it's going to be up to you in the end, but if play is on one side of the ice, and all of a sudden, the crowd on the other side starts groaning and booing.

You look over, and one player's on the ice and another is skating away. You're telling me you won't keep a closer eye on both players?

There are EIGHT holes.

1. High, over the glove.

2. Low, under the glove.

3. High, over the blocker.

4. Low, under the blocker and past the stick.

5. Between the legpads and past the stick.

6. Between the blocker arm and chest.

7. Between the glove arm and chest.

8. Directly over the head of the goalkeeper.

Unless it's Roman Chechmanek, who only had 7 holes - number eight was impossible because he headed the puck soccer-style at times. :)

You ever think maybe you should? Most hockey fans are knowledgable about what is deserving of a penalty and what isn't, and they have a different view than you refs do. Obviously, it's going to be up to you in the end, but if play is on one side of the ice, and all of a sudden, the crowd on the other side starts groaning and booing.

You look over, and one player's on the ice and another is skating away. You're telling me you won't keep a closer eye on both players?

That is what linesmen are for. I would ask them what happened and make a decision from them. I don't care what fans think. 99.9% of them THINK they know the rules but in reality have absolutely no clue. I'm sure everyone could give a basic explanation of off side, but if you saw the actual rule, the exceptions and senarios you would feel lost.

Alright Marcus.. my turn to pitch in... Sorry if this has already been asked..

Could you explain to me the different ways to shoot a puck? I what what a slapshot and a backhand shot is.. but could you explain to me about wrist shots and those other terms? Thanks.

Marcus, are you ever coming to Raleigh to see this team in person and meet the people of the board you protect?

Marcus, are you ever coming to Raleigh to see this team in person and meet the people of the board you protect?

oooh oooh I can!!!

Wrist shots you can have more control of. Like top shelf or between the legs and such. A slapshot is a hard shot that was aimed quickly with a lot of power so sometimes it goes wide.

What are the reasons for throwing a player out of the face-off?

When an encroachment occurs. This means the centres skate touches the lines, his stick isn't set up properly in the face off dot, a winger/defence skate is touching the circle or is inside the circle, or a wingers stick is past the hash mark. Also any movement prior to the linesmen dropping the puck.

Hey Marcus - stupid question of the day ... is there ever an instance when a goalie can score? Common sense says no, but just between you, me, and a several thousand of our closest friends, I've been wrong before ... LOL :)

I ain't ref so don't flatter him with the confusion between the two of us. But yes a goalie can score. The most likely would be an emptynetter. That has happend several times. Also one could score (very VERY unlikely) by firing the puck down the ice past the opponents skaters and goalie into the net.

Another option is for the goalie to be the last player to touch a puck that is knocked in the other teams goal by the other team. Say Ward cleared the puck out of the zone, then Joe Thornton tried a dumb pass to a player infront of his own goal and Nabakov tries to take the pass and the puck bounces around and into the Sharks own goal. Wardo would get the credit as scoring the goal.