The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Q & A with 107

That's very interesting! Thanks for enlightening me :) Another question I have is I know a goalie can get called for a penalty. That penalty is usually served by a teammate, correct? And if that's correct, who decides which teammate serves the penalty for the goalie?

The coaches decide. But I think atleast in some instances (maybe bench minors) it has to be a player thats on the ice at the time.

Somthing interesting happenda couple seasos back, Edmonton vs. Atlanta. Its late in the third and a brawl breaks out. Its a great brawl, fighting in the Thrashers bench all the guys on the ice fighting and wrestling around, the goalies fight at center ice everything you could ever want. Only trouble is Byron Dafoe (atlanta's starter for that game) left earlier in the game with an injury. Passi Nurminien fought Ty Conklin at center ice and bought players were ejected. Because Nruminien was thrown out and not injured I beleive played the biggest part of the last two minutes with out a goalie.

There are rules about the third goalie. I caught the tail end of the people on TSN talking about it the other night.

My question for Ref is what are all the rules and nuances of teams needing a third goalie in a game?

The coaches decide. But I think atleast in some instances (maybe bench minors) it has to be a player thats on the ice at the time.

Somthing interesting happenda couple seasos back, Edmonton vs. Atlanta. Its late in the third and a brawl breaks out. Its a great brawl, fighting in the Thrashers bench all the guys on the ice fighting and wrestling around, the goalies fight at center ice everything you could ever want. Only trouble is Byron Dafoe (atlanta's starter for that game) left earlier in the game with an injury. Passi Nurminien fought Ty Conklin at center ice and bought players were ejected. Because Nruminien was thrown out and not injured I beleive played the biggest part of the last two minutes with out a goalie.

There are rules about the third goalie. I caught the tail end of the people on TSN talking about it the other night.

My question for Ref is what are all the rules and nuances of teams needing a third goalie in a game?

Teams cannot dress a third goalie, but in the unlikely circumstance where both goalies are incapacitated by injury, illness, or ejection, or other strange circumstance, the team shall be allowed time, (I believe its 10 minutes...atleast where I work it is but I may be wrong at the NHL level) to dress one of their players to play net.

And cmw00, what you said about goalies and penalties was almost totally correct. It is the coach or captain or alternate who chose. Also, a player on the ice must serve the goalies penalty for all minors, double minors, majors, or misconducts. Any game misconducts or matchs the goalie serves. In other words, if he's kicked out, the back up has to replace him.

I ain't ref so don't flatter him with the confusion between the two of us. But yes a goalie can score. The most likely would be an emptynetter. That has happend several times. Also one could score (very VERY unlikely) by firing the puck down the ice past the opponents skaters and goalie into the net.

Another option is for the goalie to be the last player to touch a puck that is knocked in the other teams goal by the other team. Say Ward cleared the puck out of the zone, then Joe Thornton tried a dumb pass to a player infront of his own goal and Nabakov tries to take the pass and the puck bounces around and into the Sharks own goal. Wardo would get the credit as scoring the goal.

Just confirming, what he said was very accurate. :D

All bench minors must be served by someone who was on the ice at the time the play was stopped, not necessarily the time of the infraction. Where the player committing the infraction can clearly be identified, he shall serve the bench penalty, but rarely are they identified.

When watching the games, it seems to me that only the captain or an alternate can question a call made by the ref. Are they the only ones allowed too and if so why?

No one is allowed to question the judgement of an official. This is a common misconception. The captain and alternates are only allowed to ask the referee what his view of the play/incident was. Also, this "privilage" is lost if they have recieved a penalty.

As to why only the captains and alternates, its to prevent everyone from talking with the officials when ever they feel like it. Its a go to person so the ref can give messages and recieve them.

Maybe. It looks pretty cool. I just hope I dont turn out to be Magoo jr.

I don't know how old you are, but I started when I was 11 and am still going at age 20. I'm making more a week than most of my friends and people at school make in two weeks and I'm only workin 3-4 hours a day as opposed to all night or all day on the weekends.

Minimum wage here is 8 bucks an hour I think and my average is 25 bucks an hour. A slight difference there.

How do you get started reffing? Like where do you go?

Visit your local minor hockey association. Ask to be put in contact with their referee in chief. Do it before this season ends if you plan to work next year. Find out about certification, days/times they work, hours, and if you want rate of pay. Ask if he has any openings for next season and if so, how to go about getting on staff. They will give you all the details. Once you get good at the house league level, ask your boss how to go about moving up to higher calibur hockey.

I just read through this entire thread. Good stuff. :)

And now I have a question. :mrgreen:

What do you look for in order to waive off icing? Is it more than just defensemen in the 'icing' zone?

Thanks!

I just read through this entire thread. Good stuff. :)

And now I have a question. :mrgreen:

What do you look for in order to waive off icing? Is it more than just defensemen in the 'icing' zone?

Thanks!

We in Canada don't actually care about if a defence is in the defensive zone or not. We care if the puck is playable or not. Can the player reach the puck before it crosses the line? Did he slow down while going for the puck? Did he turn away from the puck and go the opposite direction, did he body check/attempt to anyone. If we feel any of these factors exist, we wave off the icing. Hope this helped. :D