The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Whitney unlikely to sign - *Now confirmed signing w/PHX*

We have his rights until July 1. I doubt he's desirable enough for anyone to give up anything for him before that. It's funny how everyone obsesses over Boston's #2 when they clearly need the player that pick will produce.

I clearly remember last year, and this is all negotiation. But it is different this time. Whitney will find much better offers elsewhere. If an eastern conference team is willing to give him 2 years in the 5 to 6 mil range, he's gone. I'm not saying he's definitely off the list, but fading fast. If the Brindy (retire) or Sammy (trade) situations change, this changes, of course. But I don't see those happening either.

I clearly remember last year, and this is all negotiation. But it is different this time. Whitney will find much better offers elsewhere. If an eastern conference team is willing to give him 2 years in the 5 to 6 mil range, he's gone. I'm not saying he's definitely off the list, but fading fast. If the Brindy (retire) or Sammy (trade) situations change, this changes, of course. But I don't see those happening either.
Exactly, there was no market for Cole and LaRose, Whitney will actually get offers.  The teams that miss out on Kovalchuk can turn to Whitney.  Obviously L.A. is interested and Pittsburgh will most likely be interested too.  I'd bet he ends up signing with one of those two teams, with the same terms you said, 2 years worth 5 to 6 million.  

Folks, I stand by my prediction. Is the low ball cap PK has placed on the salary budget etched in granite? It's flexible.

[quote name='Sutter16 wrote:

JLP']I clearly remember last year, and this is all negotiation. But it is different this time. Whitney will find much better offers elsewhere. If an eastern conference team is willing to give him 2 years in the 5 to 6 mil range, he's gone. I'm not saying he's definitely off the list, but fading fast. If the Brindy (retire) or Sammy (trade) situations change, this changes, of course. But I don't see those happening either.

Exactly, there was no market for Cole and LaRose, Whitney will actually get offers.  The teams that miss out on Kovalchuk can turn to Whitney.  Obviously L.A. is interested and Pittsburgh will most likely be interested too.  I'd bet he ends up signing with one of those two teams, with the same terms you said, 2 years worth 5 to 6 million.  

Love Ray, but a two year deal would be a big mistake at his age. For this team I think JR's likely offer is about right. Whitney probably can do better and as such it will be an amicable farewell. Sure would have liked a draft pick for him but what's past is past.

Since this is the thread where most of Versteeg talk is, I thought I would show this to you guys..

The great Chip seems to agree with most of us..

ice_chip: How's this for a conversation starter: how about Canes acquiring Kris Versteeg? Blackhawks desperately need to move salary.

ice_chip: Bringing in Versteeg would mean not re-signing Ray Whitney, of course.

The triangle isnt a very big market but there's plenty of money around here.  Why do you think PK chose the Triangle in the first place?  The payroll needs to be low to attract a new investor but anyone thinking about partnering with PK knows they're gonna need to spend some money to be competetive after the initial sale.  Buy low/Sell high.

Plus all eyes of the league will be watching the Canes this AllStar year and the last thing PK wants is to look like  a complete fool.

I understand all this.  Of course I dont expect JK just to come into a market that has no money.  In a non traditional hockey market the fan base is going to be a constant changing number based on how well the team is doing.  The point of my post is the JK has to go low on this salary to make some money from the market.  This market just can't support a large salary team that large cities can like Chicago, NY, Dallas, et al.  

Further evidence that Whitney will find greener pastures elsewhere, from Puck Daddy: The 10 UFA left wingers you'd actually want on your team

(2009-10 Cap Hit: $3.55 million)

There's a chance that Whitney is in the top five for allforwards available this summer. The
appear ready to
He'slooking for job security in his next contract, which should be his final one inthe NHL; that makes it a little tougher for teams, considering his numbers willcount against the cap whether he's playing or not.

Those considerations aside: He's a difference-maker. He'svirtually a lock for at least 20 goals, he scores on the power play and hemakes his linemates better. If he comes to your team, you'll love the Wizard; butyou'll also know it's a signal your team is ready to contend for the Cup.

This wouldn't even be an issue if JR didn't overpay Cole, as usual...

This team NEEDS Ray Whitney, I don't think JR could land a comparable player for less money. That being said, are there some other players making 3-3.5 million that I'd rather have then Whitney? Maybe, but if JR can't afford Whitney, there's no need talking about them...

Edit: As far as trading Whitney... teams typically get very little for a player's "rights" .. which is basically the right to talk about a contract before he's a UFA.

I'd pay Whitney what he's worth as long as its for one year which isnt what he wants.  If hes willing to take a little less, Id give him two.  His age is going to catch up with him sooner than later but he hasnt showed too much slowing down yet like some other guys in the latter years of their career.  This team isnt spending anywhere near the cap so the money isnt the issue, its the length and possible NTC he may want that could be holding things up. 

I bet a ton that the Brindy contract is the real hold up because this team doesnt need multiple old guys ready to ride into the sunset.  Until the Brindy deal is settled one way or another, Whitney will either have to sit tight if he wants to play here or jump on the best offer out there.  Wouldnt blame him if he did either but this team cant afford to make him a big offer with the contracts of Brindy and Samsonov still out there.

I'd pay Whitney what he's worth as long as its for one year which isnt what he wants.  If hes willing to take a little less, Id give him two.  His age is going to catch up with him sooner than later but he hasnt showed too much slowing down yet like some other guys in the latter years of their career.  This team isnt spending anywhere near the cap so the money isnt the issue, its the length and possible NTC he may want that could be holding things up. 

I bet a ton that the Brindy contract is the real hold up because this team doesnt need multiple old guys ready to ride into the sunset.  Until the Brindy deal is settled one way or another, Whitney will either have to sit tight if he wants to play here or jump on the best offer out there.  Wouldnt blame him if he did either but this team cant afford to make him a big offer with the contracts of Brindy and Samsonov still out there.

Agreed, I think that there are a lot of things dependent on what Brindy does, if we can dump the salary of Samsonov and/or Cole, and what buyouts we will have to make.  JR said things with Brindy will be settled before July 1, so as unlikely as I think it is, JR might not be completely shutting the door on Whitney.

I really dont think so, didn't JR say they couldn't agree on a length and they never even made it to money?
I thought he said it the other way around-----they couldn't agree on the money, and they never got to length of contract.

As far as trading Whitney... teams typically get very little for a player's "rights" .. which is basically 

the right to talk about a contract before he's a UFA.

Since there are few quality UFA wingers available, I think it's a no-brainer for JR to trade Whitney's rights. 

If Ray waives his NTC, of course.  You only trade a guy's rights if you're positive you won't re-sign him. 

That appears to be the case - whether the holdup is age, salary or contract length doesn't really matter. 

[quote name='davidrabbit wrote:

ThaRaven'] As far as trading Whitney... teams typically get very little for a player's "rights" .. which is basically 

the right to talk about a contract before he's a UFA.

Since there are few quality UFA wingers available, I think it's a no-brainer for JR to trade Whitney's rights. 

If Ray waives his NTC, of course.  You only trade a guy's rights if you're positive you won't re-sign him. 

That appears to be the case - whether the holdup is age, salary or contract length doesn't really matter. 

Someone would really want the inside track on Whitney to trade for his rights. I can understand Philly grabbing Hamhuis's rights to keep him off the market. But I just don't see Ray as being as in demand as that.

It's ashame this has turned into business and numbers. Ray was a bit part of the teams surge for the last half of the season and is a great leader on and off the ice. He wants to stay in Carolina....and Jim wants to keep Ray. If not then he would have been gone before the trade deadline.

Jim...get off your high horse and sign Ray Whitney. We need him on the ice!

Ray...Cut the crap and make a deal. You're an awesome player, but you want to stay in Raleigh and your 38 so you'll have to swallow your pride a bit and take a pay cut.

I don't want to watch next year without our Ray!

It's ashame this has turned into business and numbers. Ray was a bit part of the teams surge for the last half of the season and is a great leader on and off the ice.

Did you watch any of the games after the Olympic break? If so, was Whitney even playing? Sure didn't seem like it.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

RealCanesFans']

It's ashame this has turned into business and numbers. Ray was a bit part of the teams surge for the last half of the season and is a great leader on and off the ice.

Did you watch any of the games after the Olympic break? If so, was Whitney even playing? Sure didn't seem like it.

This.

He also had a poor postseason the year previous when we made the run to the ECF. Face it, folks. Ray is still productive, but he's most productive earlier in the season. His age is starting to wear on him and he's just not 100% the same guy in games 50-80 that he was in the first 50.

So why not do what baseball does, and sign him for the last half.  Gives him a longer summer/offseason to recoup, and then sign him to a 1 year contract around January or February.  Didn't Selanne or Forsberg do that??

So why not do what baseball does, and sign him for the last half.  Gives him a longer summer/offseason to recoup, and then sign him to a 1 year contract around January or February.  Didn't Selanne or Forsberg do that??

Certain teams have done that with certain players before. However, I don't think Ray is going to be sitting around waiting for us to call him in January. Some team is going to give him a decent deal. Is it possible he comes back here? Anything's possible. I guess it's going to depend on what we have on the table vs. what others put in front of him.

Personally, I'm okay with him moving on. I'd like to see more spots opened up for the Rats/Checkers to make the team. 2010-2011 is going to be a transition year, no doubt about it. We need our young players to get a shot at playing a larger number of games and see what our future is going to look like.

LeBrun reports Whitney signs with Phoenix for 2 years, $6m.

GOOD LUCK RAY,,,AND THANK YOU!!!!SAW IT ON TSN ALSO!

"Say goodbye to my little friend"

I'll miss the similar refrain over the PA whenever Ray would score a goal.

At least he won't be playing in the East and scoring on us everytime he plays us, like most  guys we let go do.

Bye Ray. You've been my man crush in recent years and you'll be missed.

Thanks for all the memories, Wizard.    Good luck.    Glad you signed out West !  They are a young team, too.

You will be a good mentor to them  !!  You will be missed !