The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

For those of you who doubt Rod will make it into the HOF...

Eh he had about 150 more career goals than Rod in 200 less games than Brindy has played so far.  And a 55 goal season in 1981-82, the only thing Rod has on him is his name on the Stanley Cup.

As far as the Hall goes I think Brind'Amour's stats aren't "Great" but I think they'll be Good enough to get him in, maybe not the first time but eventually he will be.  I mean they skipped Joe Nieuwendyk to put in Tony Granato's sister this year, wow.

Edit:  Also don't forget Dino had a great stick 

So? He has ZERO cups and ZERO trophies. What I'm saying is that nothing is ever a complete given...especially in the wake of a lot of posters giving up on Rod's chances at the HOF cause of the last two seasons.

I think if Roddy doesn't hang it up this year that he will blow whatever chance he has to get into the HOF.  Every year he finishes near the bottom of the NHL in plus/ minus he makes his stats even less impressive. Winning a Cup won't get you in by itself. There has to be some great stats and of course some people on your side who control the votes!

Saying Brindy isn't a HOF'er isn't off base...but it isn't true either. He could easily make it with his resume, but will he make it first ballot? Who knows. 

well rod has the 2 Selke trophies to offset a lack of scoring I guess compared to most HOF forwards. I mean Clark Gilles got in I believe and his stats are way weaker than rod's. basically got in for Being a hard hitting forward  with above average scoring on an Isles dynasty.

Also add in the face-offs and the amount of minutes he played per game. I also believe Rod leading a small market team to a Cup will add some points. that was one of the biggest runarounds in NHL history from one season to the next.I think standards show rod will get in, but not right away. Probably 3 or 4 years after he is eligible.

I think if Roddy doesn't hang it up this year that he will blow whatever chance he has to get into the HOF.  Every year he finishes near the bottom of the NHL in plus/ minus he makes his stats even less impressive. Winning a Cup won't get you in by itself. There has to be some great stats and of course some people on your side who control the votes!
This.

If he had retired two seasons ago he would have been on the borderline. But every time he goes on the ice he further hurts his chances of being in the HOF. The last two years have been an utter disaster to his chances.

I don't know I think Rod probably doesn't care if he's in the hall of fame.  I mean if he really wanted to be and was concerned about it, he would have retired a couple of years ago.  I think Rod's greatest goal has already been realized, and that was winning the Stanley Cup.  I don't know about you guys but if I could choose to be Dino and be in the HOF without a Cup, or Rod with a Cup and no HOF, I'd be Brindy

I think you're probably right AppSCF. Considering what Brindy has done the last couple of seasons which have shown his true character, i.e. putting the team before himself. Accepting a role on the fourth line, relinquishing the C to Staal, pep talks and speeches and off the ice leadership. Regardless of what the Hall thinks, what he meant to this team is not measurable by stats. I remember a post game interview where he netted a game winner of a big game (OT in Playoffs? dont remember) but all he could say was "Staal did this, Whit did this, Ward did this.." etc etc.. Played an amazing game himself but took no credit but instead praised the rest of the team.

His stats are ok, two Selkes and a Cup.. but as far as leadership and sportsmanship? If he's not a hall of famer after setting that kind of an example something is seriously wrong with the voters. He is the ultimate sportsman. He deserves it for sure.

Will Rod throw a big party with champagne and caviar and confetti? No.. that's not Rod. He will quietly accept and give everyone else the credit for his stellar career. And you're right.. he probably doesn't care, since he obvious loves the game and plays because he loves the game and the team.. not for stats or money or trophies.

I think you're probably right AppSCF. Considering what Brindy has done the last couple of seasons which have shown his true character, i.e. putting the team before himself. Accepting a role on the fourth line, relinquishing the C to Staal, pep talks and speeches and off the ice leadership. Regardless of what the Hall thinks, what he meant to this team is not measurable by stats. I remember a post game interview where he netted a game winner of a big game (OT in Playoffs? dont remember) but all he could say was "Staal did this, Whit did this, Ward did this.." etc etc.. Played an amazing game himself but took no credit but instead praised the rest of the team.

His stats are ok, two Selkes and a Cup.. but as far as leadership and sportsmanship? If he's not a hall of famer after setting that kind of an example something is seriously wrong with the voters. He is the ultimate sportsman. He deserves it for sure.

Will Rod throw a big party with champagne and caviar and confetti? No.. that's not Rod. He will quietly accept and give everyone else the credit for his stellar career. And you're right.. he probably doesn't care, since he obvious loves the game and plays because he loves the game and the team.. not for stats or money or trophies.

WELL SAID !      +1000

If I'm HOF voter, I don't think I take the plus-minus stat as anything other than a player who likely should have hung em up a couple of years earlier.  Considering evertything that is Rod Brind'amour - his work ethic, his offensive production, his outstanding two-way play, his career face-off percentage, and leading a new franchise to its first Cup  - I think he gets in.  Maybe not first ballot, but soon thereafter.

Wait, what? "Screwed the pooch?" They elected a 600 goal scorer--the only 600 goal scorer not previously in the HHOF. He's 16th all-time in goals, 8th all-time in PPG, 13th in playoff goals, 3rd in playoff PPG. In other words, he was one of the most dangerous goal-scorers in the history of the game. He also racked up 16 more points than Brindy, which doesn't seem like much, but he played 252 fewer games. Ciccarelli had .974 P/Gm; by comparison, Maurice Richard scored .987 P/Gm, not a big difference. Ciccarelli has long been considered the best player snubbed by the HHOF, left off because of off-ice issues. He deserved to be in a long time ago.