The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Draft Predictions Please.

OK, I'll go first.

I have no idea.

That said, I will first say that we stay at #7. I think we would do very well to move up or down, but in the end the right deal never materializes.

At #7 there are a lot of options. Personally if Connolly is there, I think it's just too much potential to let go, and that would be my pick. But, he may be gone by then, and the Canes may feel more strongly about the injury thing.

Reading the pre-draft write ups, and the comparison's to Staal, I have a big hunch that we really like Johansen and he is shooting up the board.

But in the end, JR looks at Staal and the utter inabililty to put together a strong first line and either takes Connolly or ...El Nino.

All things considered my guess is:

Canes pick El Nino at #7.

Of course I'm probably wrong.

I figured asking the Magic 8 Ball on my desk was about as good as anything I could come up with myself, so here's the results:

Me: Magic 8 Ball, will we stay at #7 in the draft?

Magic 8 Ball: Without a Doubt

Me: Magic 8 Ball, I know I can't ask you what player we'll get, but do you think whatever player we do get will earn a spot on the team next season?

Magic 8 Ball: As I see it, Yes

Remember, you heard it here first. wink.gif

I think the Canes will want Johansen, but I think he will go around pick 5. I wouldn't be surprised to see us grab Skinner to be honest.. Although, I don't really like the idea of taking a Center.. but thats just me. Therefore, I think the Canes are going to pass on both Niederreiter and Connolly. While I like Skinner, I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Sorry - One source I have says he is a Center, another says he is a RW...so i'm not sure what he is. But I read a few articles that said Skinner probably has the best hands and is the purest scorer of anyone in this draft class. Here is a link also stating that...

Granlund or Connolley with the #7, we trade a second rounder and prospect or Sammy/Cole or our 1st and last 2nd round pick to move up and take a shot at Pysyk maybe Forbert and hold onto that middle 2nd Round pick to hope Pulkinnen is around or that someone like Tarasenko falls into our laps.

If we end up with Pulkinnen and Granlund, JR and PK give players a small bonus to go and purchase Finnish Rosetta Stone. 

As far as our first round pick,

If one of the top-3 defenseman are there, likely Gormley, I think the Canes take him. 

I think Johanson is likely our highest rated forward, but I think he will be gone before the seventh pick.    

What I *hope* we do: draft El Nino.

However, I don't think that's going to happen based on the draft chat with Paul Branecky today. Sounds like we may be going with Johansen if he's available.

Now, here's the thing... Florida just picked up Wideman in the Horton trade... Atlanta just picked up Sopel in the trade with the Blackhawks. It's possible... maybe not likely, but possible ... that this pushes one of the 3 top d-men down the board a bit. Maybe. So depending on how things go tomorrow night, there's a chance that we could land Gormley.

If Gormely, El Nino and Johansen are all still on the board, I don't know what JR does. Sounds like El Nino isn't our top pick. Which bums me out.

It all depends on who is still available when #7 comes up.

First and foremost, if one of the big 3 d-men is there, they take him. You have to.

If all 3 d-men are gone, and Connelly is still there, you take him. You have to.

If the top 6 go as most think it will....Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Fowler, Gormlyey, Connelly.....

The Canes take either Skinner or Johansen.

My money is on Johansen.

Sounds like El Nino isn't our top pick. Which bums me out.
Bums me out too, but maybe it is just smoke screening. I got depressed at the end when he posted his list & Nino was the last name on it.

I now believe that Johansen will be the pick if he is still there. He was third on Paul's list even ahead of Gormley. I still think Johansen benefited from playing with Nino, but it looks like the Canes see it the other way around.

If we pick Granlund at #7 I think I will lose my dinner.sick.gif  If this is the guy then trade down with either ANA(12 & 29) or PHX(13 & 22), and pick up another 1st rounder. Then take the best D available with that 2nd first round pick. Then keep all 3 picks in the 2nd round. That would be 5 picks in the top 60. roll.gif

Connolly injury history scares me. eek.gif

Skinner is a natural goal score, but needs to work on his skating & D.

Burmistrov( I just can't see JR taking a Russian at # 7)

We're not drafting Nino or Johansen, and he is in no way our highest rated forward.  I don't buy all this interest in Johansen one bit.  It's more likely that we want teams to think we're interested so they think that the higher talent (Grandlund/Burmistrov) will fall to them.  This prevents teams in the 8-12 range leapfrogging us and taking the player we really want, Granlund.

This is what I think our list looks like:
1. Top 3 if they fall 
2. Granlund
3. Burmistrov
4. Johansen
5. Skinner

I don't buy this Campbell talk either.  Their have been reports that he could surprise with how high he goes, so by dropping that we are interested we might make other teams who really want him uneasy. This could cause them to trade up in front of us and let the players we really want fall down to us.

I'll say Gormley if he's there, if not we go Granlund.  

Also I will throw out I think we'll give up two of our 2nds for a player or to get back into the 1st.  If we get Gormley, then I predict that we'll trade two 2nds, or maybe even a prospect and a 2nd, for Versteeg.  If we draft Granlund, we'll package two 2nds to get back into the 1st and draft Tinordi.  

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

witchking-ch1 wrote:

Sounds like El Nino isn't our top pick. Which bums me out.

Bums me out too, but maybe it is just smoke screening. I got depressed at the end when he posted his list & Nino was the last name on it.

I now believe that Johansen will be the pick if he is still there. He was third on Paul's list even ahead of Gormley. I still think Johansen benefited from playing with Nino, but it looks like the Canes see it the other way around.

If we pick Granlund at #7 I think I will lose my dinner.sick.gif  If this is the guy then trade down with either ANA(12 & 29) or PHX(13 & 22), and pick up another 1st rounder. Then take the best D available with that 2nd first round pick. Then keep all 3 picks in the 2nd round. That would be 5 picks in the top 60. roll.gif

Connolly injury history scares me. eek.gif

Skinner is a natural goal score, but needs to work on his skating & D.

Burmistrov( I just can't see JR taking a Russian at # 7)Not sure why you don't like Granlund, the only knock people have are his size, which obviously wasn't an issue in the Finnish Elite League last year and, as management has said, won't be an issue in the NHL...He will be an amazing player wherever he goes.

Your two trades are completely unrealistic, neither team would give up a late 1st round only to move up 5 spots.  JR has also made it clear that we are staying at 7. 
romansperson']

I figured asking the Magic 8 Ball on my desk was about as good as anything I could come up with myself, so here's the results:

Me: Magic 8 Ball, will we stay at #7 in the draft?

Magic 8 Ball: Without a Doubt

Me: Magic 8 Ball, I know I can't ask you what player we'll get, but do you think whatever player we do get will earn a spot on the team next season?

Magic 8 Ball: As I see it, Yes

Remember, you heard it here first. wink.gif

We actually heard it from JR first tongue.gif

Not sure why you don't like Granlund, the only knock people have are his size, which obviously wasn't an issue in the Finnish Elite League last year and, as management has said, won't be an issue in the NHL...He will be an amazing player wherever he goes.

Your two trades are completely unrealistic, neither team would give up a late 1st round only to move up 5 spots.  JR has also made it clear that we are staying at 7. 
I not saying that Granlund wouldn't be a great player. I just don't have him in my top 10, but I'm no NHL scout. My list is just based on reports that I have read. And yes it is his size that I don't like. We already have a lot of small players on the roster or in the system. If we pick him I hope he turns out to be the best Finnish player ever to play in the NHL.pimp.gif

I guess I'm just bummed because I really like Nino, but I will pull for whoever the Canes pick. I'm small, so you would think I would be pulling for a player like Granlund.

We take whichever one of these guys is still left at #7 and in this order if more than one is still available.

Gormley, Connolly, El Nino, Skinner

We didn't even interview Connolly, so I would say we have no interest in him and his injuries.  

[quote name='Sutter16 wrote:

trianglegreen']We take whichever one of these guys is still left at #7 and in this order if more than one is still available.

We didn't even interview Connolly, so I would say we have no interest in him and his injuries.  

Is that true? Why not interview the guy? I know his injuries may scare JR off, but how hard is it to interview the guy?

I wonder if the Canes think there's no way he's still there at #7?

By the All Star break this season, there will be a lot of frustrated GMs, wondering why they did what they did. I'm sure many are used to it after having it happen each year. But I think people are going to regret passing over Connelly. A guy goes from being a can't miss top 2 pick to MAYBE a top 10 pick because he was hurt? Injuries happen in the NHL. A lot of players heal and never miss a beat. I find it hard to believe that JR would be so ignorant as to think there's no way he wants a guy who was once injured....a guy who was a can't miss prospect a year ago. 

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Sutter16 wrote:

trianglegreen']We take whichever one of these guys is still left at #7 and in this order if more than one is still available.

Is that true? Why not interview the guy? I know his injuries may scare JR off, but how hard is it to interview the guy?

Yep, here is a clip from Canes Now:

Forward Brett Connolly said he was scheduled to meet with the Canes at their Hollywood hotel on Wednesday but that it was cancelled.

"They said they had all the info on me they needed," Connolly said.

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

remkin wrote:

Sutter16']We didn't even interview Connolly, so I would say we have no interest in him and his injuries.  

Forward Brett Connolly said he was scheduled to meet with the Canes at their Hollywood hotel on Wednesday but that it was cancelled.

Maybe we are hoping he falls into the second round and then we pick him up??smile.gif

[quote name='caniac_fan wrote:

rocheccw wrote:

remkin']Is that true? Why not interview the guy? I know his injuries may scare JR off, but how hard is it to interview the guy?

Maybe we are hoping he falls into the second round and then we pick him up??smile.gif

Maybe more subterfuge! Throwing other teams off the scent! 

"Oh, we wouldn't even consider a guy with that type of injury so high in the draft." 

So Tampa is thinking, "hmm, maybe we don't want Connolly after all".

That or we have no interest. 

I say we take him if he's there. We need a top flight forward to go with Staal, and this guy has the chops. If he drops to 7 he could be a phenomenal value. And who likes value more than JR?

I pray to God that you are right about the Versteeg trade - Bowman and a 2nd for Versteeg? I'd do it.

Not only would I do it, but I'd pull the trigger on that RIGHT NOW. I wouldn't wait for the draft for that one. Versteeg automatically goes on a line with Sutter and Cole (probably). Heck, he could even be on the line with Staal and Jokinen and move LaRose down to the Sutter line. I think Versteeg has some upside... I think he was pushed to a lower line in Chicago because of all the talent they have there. We don't have the same number of great players they have, so he'd be either 1st or 2nd line. Bowman plus a 2nd? Done.