The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Charlotte Checkers Unveil new uniforms and alternate logo

Love it. The black's probably my favorite. Look forward to seeing some of the new draftees and former Rats at the Cable Box this upcoming season.

That alternate black jersey is pure Bad %%# plain and simple.  I'm glad to see the Checkers got it right with the jerseys and logos.  Now Greenville's team on the other hand, holy crap.  Their new name is the "Road Warriors".  Probably one of the worst mascots I've ever heard.

Their new name is the "Road Warriors".  Probably one of the worst mascots I've ever heard.

Is Mel Gibson going to lead them onto the ice every night?

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

Appstatecanesfan'] Their new name is the "Road Warriors".  Probably one of the worst mascots I've ever heard.

Is Mel Gibson going to lead them onto the ice every night?Duuude the same exact thing popped into my head.  Terrible

http://greenvilleroadwarriors.com/

yuuuuuuck

Probably called the Road Warriors because they'll be hitting the road within 2 years?

They had the name the team contest.  I guess they didn't like my two submissions "Greenville Palmetto Leafs" and "Carolina Secessionists"  (The rules were it should have something to do with Greenville or South Carolina as a whole).

A friend of mine submitted Greenville Lasers, which sounds really lame on the surface but he pointed out that the guy who invented the Laser was from Greenville.

Wow, I had no idea about the laser inventor... that's pretty cool.

You suggestions were good ones, dude.  Of course, Rebels would have been a good one or Grey Jackets (like the Columbus Blue Jackets).  That was a great way to get ideas, giving a contest.  So the guy won season tickets for life.  Not bad.  But Road Warriors is pretty lame IMO.  I mean, what is a road warrior?  A futuristic Aussie-punk, yeah, lets name our hockey team after that.

I would've suggested they (Greenville) bring back the Grroowwll (not clear on exact spelling but you get the picture, hopefully) name. I liked that name.

I mean honest to God there's nothing else that has to do with Greenville that they could have come up with instead of an early 80's film with Mel Gibson in it?  That's pretty sad and un-imaginative if you ask me.  I'm actually quiet disappointed in their decision to go with this.  I live just an hour or so north of Greenville and look forward to going and watching some games.  I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter but I feel like it's going to be pretty lame watching a home game and yelling "GO ROAD WARRIORS"

Even though it is pretty lame, at least to me they didn't name their team after the parent club, whom I'm not sure of but I think it's the Wild. I personally can't stand when teams do that especially when they have a cool name already. It's too bad Albany didn't favor "River Rats" over "Devils" IMO. I'm glad the Checkers kept their name though.

But at least G'Ville is getting a team back. While the league is at it they should bring back the Columbia Inferno too.

I mean honest to God there's nothing else that has to do with Greenville that they could have come up with instead of an early 80's film with Mel Gibson in it?

Yeah, it's not even a good movie.  They should go with the Greenville Lethal Weapons or Greenville Bravehearts.  lol... you know what, those aren't that bad.

A favorable review from Puckdaddy.com:

What says Carolina hockey more than polar bear eating a flag?

ept_sports_nhl_experts-131776373-1277753The AHL Charlotte Checkers, formerly your Albany River Rats, introduced the inaugural jerseys for the Carolina Hurricanes affiliate on Friday.

The main logo seems a bit derivative of the Minnesota Wild, and that's not a bad thing at all. Although, upon further inspection, it could also be a logo for a pizza shop somewhere in the Northern Territories.

But that third jersey, featuring the bear and the Hurricanes' alternate logo? Aces. It's like the franchise is literally carrying the flag for the parent team; aesthetically, the shape just seems to fit the sweater design well.

TSA, I loved that article, but what got me was the quote from the other page:

"I have to say I'm impressed with the new logo. Yes, it may seem weird that a polar bear is carrying a tropical storm flag on a hockey stick, but I just think the mark itself looks great!

The integration is nice so long as the Checkers and Hurricanes remain affiliated. When/if that ends, the logo becomes obsolete since, again, it's a polar bear with a tropical storm flag."

Isn't that true for any team in the AHL? They all have the parent logo on the jersey (at least on the shoulder like ours). Perhaps they don't all have a main logo of the parent team, except for teams like the Providence Bruins and Texas Stars who likely won't be changing affiliation any time soon. But if the Checkers were to change affiliation (which I doubt) the would get new jerseys anyway, so that's a sort of "DUH" statement that of course the logo will change if they are no longer affiliated with the Hurricanes. It's not saying much since it came from Yahoo but are these guys really paying any attention at all?