The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

Brindy moving into the front office -Jersey retirement scheduled for Feb 18th vs. Flyers

This is a sad reflection on what sports has become. In the old days a player that has brought so much to his team would be allowed to go out on his own terms. This contract was clearly a reward for Brindy leading the Canes to the Cup. Brindy has set the standard for hard work and dedication, and having him around, as a player, can pay huge dividens with all the young players we will have this year. I may be in the minority, but I want to see Brindy go out wearing a Canes sweater.

Look, I love Brind'Amour as much as anyone.  But the fact remains is that the past 2 seasons have shown he is not nearly the same player he used to be - esp. at his salary for a marginal 4th line player.  Now, I would be willing to keep Brindy for maybe 1/2 what he's earning now, but we know what would never happen.  While is sucks to have a great player be shown the door in this manner, the Canes really can not justify keeping him this year. 

Brind'Amour looks like a classic case of a player not seeing the writing on the wall and continuing to play when clearly they no longer can.  It happens in all sports.

This stings as much as any thing possibly can.  Brind'Amour has had a great career over all, not just here in Carolina.  But the above post is right.  In a season where we're trying to cut costs significantly we can't be paying a guy 3 million dollars to score 5 goals.  I love Roddy and will always cherish the memory of seeing him hoist the Stanley Cup at the RBC Center, but unfortunately it's time for both parties to move on.

I hate that Ruddy has to have the crap end of the stick, but it's really not his fault.  He's unfortunately just a victim of time and Jim Rutherford’s terrible contract negotiating with older players. 

Look, I love Brind'Amour as much as anyone.  But the fact remains is that the past 2 seasons have shown he is not nearly the same player he used to be - esp. at his salary for a marginal 4th line player.  Now, I would be willing to keep Brindy for maybe 1/2 what he's earning now, but we know what would never happen.  While is sucks to have a great player be shown the door in this manner, the Canes really can not justify keeping him this year. 

Brind'Amour looks like a classic case of a player not seeing the writing on the wall and continuing to play when clearly they no longer can.  It happens in all sports.

This.

You guys think its possible that Brindamour wants to be bought out to get a chance to play at a more contending team? I mean it doesn't really make a lot of sense for him to play on our team with the rebuilding factor. It seems to me he would want another chance at a Cup and barring miracles that's not going to happen here this year. If so, do you think there are teams out there that would take a chance on him?

You guys think its possible that Brindamour wants to be bought out to get a chance to play at a more contending team? I mean it doesn't really make a lot of sense for him to play on our team with the rebuilding factor. It seems to me he would want another chance at a Cup and barring miracles that's not going to happen here this year. If so, do you think there are teams out there that would take a chance on him?
No. Rod's play has actually hurt us the last two years. Why would a contending team pick up a guy who would hurt their chances at winning?

I posted this comment in another thread but for what its worth I will post it here as well:

I think its just as likely the Canes will hold a press conference today to announce Brindy's retirement, and his appointment to another capacity within the organization.  I just don't think JR will just buy Brindy out....at least this Caniac hopes not.

If you listen to Chuck Kaiton on 99.9 this morning, he said he would be very surprised if Rod signed with another team.

I hope Coastal's idea is really the way this comes down.

I also posted this in another thread but will put it here as well.

I hope coastal is correct and Brindy retires but if he doesn't we must remember that we think the Canes appear to have given him every chance to travel the retirement road. If Brindy thinks he can play one more year and wants a chance to find a team we owe him the chance to find one.

I really hope Brindy retires a Cane. I guess we will find out this afternoon.

Brindy's press conference prediction game.

What does your gut tell you?

Retire & new position with the Canes.

Trade, or buyout.

My gut says buyout, but my heart hopes it is a retire & new position with the Canes.

I'll say this, I've made it a point to stay away from the Brind'amour situation over the last couple of years.  Regardless of what transpires this afternoon, its going to be a difficult and emotional time for me. 

I believe he is retiring. I agree, a player - especially a player of Brindy's stature and career - would not have a press conference if he was being bought out.

I'll say this, I've made it a point to stay away from the Brind'amour situation over the last couple of years.  Regardless of what transpires this afternoon, its going to be a difficult and emotional time for me. 

Ditto.frown.gif

Double Ditto.

frown.gif  

I couldn't have expressed my feelings any better, so I'll just say that I am right there with you.  He's always been my favorite ATHLETE, let alone my favorite Cane.  I don't want to see him go.  I'm going to be in classes and a study session throughout the day, so I will have to wait until I get home around 5:30 before I can find out what's going on.  It's going to be a long and anxious day.

I hope it is retirement. I have admired Rod's play for years, even before he became a Hurricane. But, the last two seasons have been painful to watch. He has been a classy guy and needs to continue to show class by stepping aside gracefully.

McKenzie's latest:

Rod Brind'Amour can't be put on waivers for buyout purposes because he has a NMC and his full $3 million will count against CAR's cap.

But CAR will buy him out, he will retire and he and the Canes are working on a job description for something off-ice.

Interesting...didn't know Rod had a NMC, I don't think that's ever been reported. So, both buyout and retirement.

I hope it is retirement. I have admired Rod's play for years, even before he became a Hurricane. But, the last two seasons have been painful to watch. He has been a classy guy and needs to continue to show class by stepping aside gracefully.
NHL Network just announced that Rod WILL announce his retirement ( a tweet from someone I missed.) They said the organization is working on a spot for him.

As long as there's not a buyout thrown in there before the retirement, I'm good with this. Keep the salary off the books and they can work out something nice for him in the front office