The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

Brindy moving into the front office -Jersey retirement scheduled for Feb 18th vs. Flyers

Here is ESPN's article. Great he is staying with the organization. Maybe he'll be the strength and conditioning coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5343269

Jersey Retirement Ceremony Game. When do you think it will happen?

It's a shame that the Canes don't play the Blues here this season. Though we do play them in St. Louis Dec. 11th.

First home game against the Flyers is November 11th.

Very good outcome ! Thanks, Captain for the great run !  So glad you think of here as home !

Good write-up and video replays op on NHL.com already also!

Rod Brind'Amour can now move back into my favorite players list, and also on to the all good list.

It is clear that JR laid it out that he would not fit in with the Canes on the ice but was wanted off the ice.

Rod realized he didn't want to play anywhere else and it ended up about as well as it could have.

This is the best possible outcome.

I had to think about this a while. I was one who thought Rod should retire. I can't say I'm happy that he has as there is always a sadness when one of the "old" players leave the game. But now we can remember Rod as he should be remembered as a team leader and player who lead us to the cup.  It is nice that the Canes will keep him in the front office and allow him to stay at home and in hockey. In the end Brindy made a tough decision that was right for the team. I know this was the right decision and look forward to seeing his sweater in the rafters.

Yes, this was the best possible outcome.  I really hope he can find his niche within the organiztion because its obvious he cares for the city and the fans.  I think he still has alot to offer. I like the way this was handled, it couldn't have been easy to be the guy who had to tell Rod he didn't fit in the on-ice plans going forward.

Anyone know if the Rutherford media conference is available anywhere?

I hope they don't retire his jersey while I'm deployed...if they do, one of you has GOT to get me a mini-banner (they had those for Wesley, didn't they?)

Yes, this was the best possible outcome.  I really hope he can find his niche within the organiztion because its obvious he cares for the city and the fans.  I think he still has alot to offer. I like the way this was handled, it couldn't have been easy to be the guy who had to tell Rod he didn't fit in the on-ice plans going forward.

Anyone know if the Rutherford media conference is available anywhere?

It's here,Coastal:

http://www.facebook.com/l...b1B0F0Ye5l3KIFt3BTurkRpg

Don't worry, if you are deployed, I will get your mini-banner, and that's a promise.

Thanks bro!  I told the wife that, if I'm home when they retire his number, I don't care how much it costs to get tickets from here in Oklahoma...WE'RE GOING!

I think Rod might be walking around thinking he is playing a part in the holy grail. While I think its great to celebrate the man's career, hes not dead yet! tongue.gif

I think Rod might be walking around thinking he is playing a part in the holy grail. While I think its great to celebrate the man's career, hes not dead yet! tongue.gif

"If I went around saying I was team captain because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!"laugh.gif

Mike Sundheim posted a list of Brind'Amour articles from various media sources:

Rod Brind'Amour News Clippings

Major news outlets in the U.S. and Canada on the retirement of Hurricanes center Rod Brind'Amour.

And here's one from Scott Burnside (ESPN) that includes a few comments from KAdams, Matt Cullen and Peter Laviolette:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5344568

What a terrific article by Burnside. So great to see that from a national writer on a big network. Once again the 'Canes handled things well and slightly surprising to see Roddy not want to play somewhere else. But it's feelgood for sure.

Congrats on a great career Rod and thanks for making hockey important in the area!

Jersey retirement officially scheduled for Feb 18th against the Flyers.

I was at Ron Francis night when the 10 went up.. I missed Wesley's night but my wonderful in-laws saved me a mini-banner. I really really hope I can make it to see the 17 go to the rafters. 2 out of 3's not bad eh? I hoped it would be one of the two games against Philly since his long tenure there. I could be able to make the friday night one coming from Winston. Glad it wasn't on some random tuesday.

Legend, all we need now is a couple more of the white banners to hang in between the numbers.

Congrats again Rod!

THANK YOU GOD!!! I should be back from deployment in time for it. I don't care how much it costs, the wife and I will come out from Oklahoma for the game.