The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PassHolder

2010 - 2011 As

I'd say Gleason and Sutter.  I can't say from experience of course, but I'd wager that Chad is too much of a cut-up or wildcard to be in a leadership position.

I'd put my money on Gleason/Sutter as well.  When Brind'amour missed the last game last season due to an injury, Sutter wore his A.  Another possibility could be Ruutu though.  I'd say Gleason is a lock.

I think Gleason is a sure bet.   Sutter is OK but what about Jussi ? He has got some down to earth maturity about him.

Being Sutter's real second season I've got to worry about the sophmore slump and would prefer management allow him to focus on keeping himself together next season. He really doesn't need added weight at this time. Let him grow and maybe next year give him the A. 

I'd prolly vote Rosey you can be a cut up and still be respected. There's a significant difference between Rosey in the locker room and on the ice. He's all business on the ice. He's a yeller on the bench, watching him get back in the play from being completely out of it, watching him kill a penalty he does alot of things that can really motivate a team and a group of young guys to want to play like him. Plus he's not going to be THE captain, it's an alternate position. If it was the captain slot and it was Rosey I would likely be a bit afraid. 

I would also not be opposed to Ruutu, Jokinen it's true he's down to earth but he seems possibly to down to earth to lead.

Gleason is a no brainer

The other one I'd say Sutter. If not, then wouldn't be opposed to Ruutu and although he's the overpriced whipping boy, I wouldn't rule out Cole. He will be one of the experienced veteran guys. It was well documented by Boychuk that Cole took him under his wing, so he might not be the old Cole on the ice, but he sure seems like he can be a good mentor for the all kids that will be here.

If Whitney doesnt get signed who wears the two As next season?

1) Gleason is an automatic.

2) I think that you make the other A one of the hardest working, most passionate and vocal guys in the NHL Chad LaRose.

I thought about this yesterday too. Hmmm... Gleason is a lock. The other falls to Sutter, LaRose, Cole, Ruutu (all mentioned here) or... Cam Ward? Luongo wears the C for Vancouver... any reason why Cam couldn't wear the A?

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

PassHolder']If Whitney doesnt get signed who wears the two As next season?

2) I think that you make the other A one of the hardest working, most passionate and vocal guys in the NHL Chad LaRose.

I thought about this yesterday too. Hmmm... Gleason is a lock. The other falls to Sutter, LaRose, Cole, Ruutu (all mentioned here) or... Cam Ward? Luongo wears the C for Vancouver... any reason why Cam couldn't wear the A?

I was thinking the same thing this morning. He's one of the more "experienced" guys on this very young roster, so maybe he's not out of the question.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

PassHolder']If Whitney doesnt get signed who wears the two As next season?

On Cam I doubt it. There's been alot of fallback in Vancouver about Luongo being named Captain and how it was a mistake. Most organizations are still against a goalie being a captain or alternate, and honestly I don't see this org stepping out of the box like that.

Gleason, no doubt.

I like Legend's argument for LaRose, and I would add that LaRose is somewhat of a protege of Brind'Amour. They did a lot of training together. Rosey and Brindy have opposite personalities in some ways but similar players in the sense that they have that tremendous work ethic and don't take their positions for granted.

If not LaRose, I'd go with Cole, I can see him as a leader as well.

Seems a little too soon for Sutter.

On Cam I doubt it. There's been alot of fallback in Vancouver about Luongo being named Captain and how it was a mistake. Most organizations are still against a goalie being a captain or alternate, and honestly I don't see this org stepping out of the box like that.

It was a mistake, no question.  Luongo can't wear a C on his jersey, and can't talk about calls with the refs as a captain would.  I don't see the reasoning behind it; goalies have plenty of pressure and distractions as it is.

Gleason is a lock, I would not object to him even wearing the "C". I could live with Cole wearing an "A". No player has realy stood out as a leader as far as I can see. Maybe I got spoiled with Rod.

My bet is Gleason, for sure---------but likely Cole gets the other.   Right now I don't see where the

veteran leadership will come from next year. Cole will have to step up in that area. (I had originally said

Jussi b/c he is down to earth and well spoken, but he also seems to be a private person.)

You can't give it to Larose, did you guys not see how horrible he played last year when he got a raise, I don't think he would be himself with the added responsibility. Not giving one to Sutter because he is too young makes no sense, just ask Johnny Toews. Sutter and Gleason. Bring the Pain boys.