The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Joe Corvo re-signs for 2 years

I am pleaased with this signing.  One of the things that I did not like last year was we spent so much time passing the puck around looking for the perfect shot.  This, year with all of the extreme shooters that we have,  there is no reason to do that  folks  .... we will be able to reign hell on the opposing goalies.  This is going to be fun.

You forgot about MO! The way he tinkers with the lines he could be paired with Rosie... LOL

Well at least he does have a wicked bad shot and is good on the PP. Moving the puck he is OK until he gets into a pressure situation where he has a tendency to cough it up.

How many days until spring training?

Well I'll say this. We just went from questionable to respectful on defense with the signing of Joe.  And, I've just become Jay Harrison's biggest fan, so to speak.  By default, he needs to be the guy who steps up and takes some pressure off of Timmy.  Alot of folks around here have written him off.  Truth be known, he's a career minus guy.  But, JR has said he played through an injury last year when he didn't have too.  JR sees something in this guys play and his character, and that's good enough for me.  He could be the guy who silently assumes that role of the the type of player I've been so adamant about acquiring. 

As far as Carson, I'm still scratching my head on why he wasn't qualified.  But, right now, how do you offer him a one-way deal?    

On another note, I'm not a mind-reader or the coach but if Corvo isn't paired with Gleason I promise I'll never bring up defense again.  Those two are like peas and carrots. Just sayin.....

Overall I like this deal, it may not have been the type of player we needed, but there is no way this hurts our team compared to what we had before. Additionally for the money we signed him for we would be stupid not to take it imo. I also think that Corvo's defensive ability has improved over the years he was in our system, its not rock solid, but much better then what it was when he first got here. Our PP better be in the top 5-6 laugh.gif

Well finally JR does something that doesn't put a frown on my face. Certainly not smiling yet either...but it's a respectable move. And at least Corvo has veteran experience. Was starting to think we were going to field a bantam team this season...

so refreshing to see a player  want to come and at a discount... thats nice... we still need a sniper i think..

My main reaction? JR signed a veteran hockey player!!! 

"Corvo fits" is the perfect explanation. Ideally JR wanted to add veteran presence to the defense, but he is "not going to spend a lot for this muffler, uh defenseman. I have always been ambivalent about Corvo. Definitely smooth skating and skilled with the puck, and on balance decent defensively, but prone to lapses and questionable decisions. Still, one can put him in the top 4 with a straight face. He wants to be here, and seems to play his best here. 

It does seem more possible that Babchuk might get moved. If only such a move brought a serviceable 3rd line center?

Anyway, with all of the question marks up front, maybe a lot of scoring from the blue line will at least make it more interesting.

In the end, JR went out and signed a veteran hockey player. Find one more such guy for third line center and I can live with it.

I like Joe Corvo's game and IMO he is highly skilled and consistent in creating offensive opportunities.  However, that isn't what the team needs.  This looks like a move to make a further move down the road, perhaps early or even as far as the trade deadline.

Welcome back 77.  Oh, and tape the back of your skate!

There is a reason Corvo was left unsigned by any other team.

Did he watch the stanley cup playoffs this year?

Corvo was absolutely horrid.

I beg to disagree. I watched the playoffs, too. Corvo played better than the hallowed Mike Green.

And he didn't give the game away by having a temper tantrum and taking a stupid penalty like Green did either.

Pretty amazing that we went from the oldest team in the league, to one of the youngest team in the league(maybe the youngest).  JR is doing exactly what he set out to do this off season.  As a fan, its hard to have patience when you don't know what the final product is going to look like but roster issues are being addressed, they just may take some time to work out.  It'll be very interesting to see what the final roster looks like heading to Finland, and its possible there could be changes after that trip also.

Wow! This is fantastic news! Corvo and Gleason, Pittkanen and the "russian concussion", Spaghetti, McBain. It will be interesting what the defensive pairings will be. (Can't really see spaghetti and Mcbain playing together) In reserve there is Harrison/possibly Carson and/or Picard. Solid Defense now...Great Job JR....just the other day "it wasn't working out to sign Corvo"......too much money. With a solid defense and the fight for forward positions....we are off to a GREAT START...wish camp started tomorrow.....This team is OFFENSIVE minded and I know there are folks that want more "defensive-minded" defensemen but the skill level of these defensemen will HELP the forwards....especially the Young forwards that make the team. Not to mention....mentoring McBain and Spaghetti. This takes the Pressure off of McBain....give him a solid season on the blueline listening to gleason and corvo and being on the third line.....way to go JR....way to go.... Start the season!

Pretty amazing that we went from the oldest team in the league, to one of the youngest team in the league(maybe the youngest).  JR is doing exactly what he set out to do this off season.       
No, we are not the youngest.  Actually, that one of the "youngest team in the league"statement is a bit overstated.  Go to  http://www.nhlnumbers.com/  and you will see that most teams in the league average about 26-28 in terms of average age.  With the signing of Corvo, we bump up to closer to the middle of the pact at around 27.  smile.gif

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

TSA']Pretty amazing that we went from the oldest team in the league, to one of the youngest team in the league(maybe the youngest).  JR is doing exactly what he set out to do this off season.       

No, we are not the youngest.  Actually, that one of the "youngest team in the league"statement is a bit overstated.  Go to  http://www.nhlnumbers.com/  and you will see that most teams in the league average about 26-28 in terms of average age.  With the signing of Corvo, we bump up to closer to the middle of the pact at around 27.  smile.gif

We are right about what Chicago is currently. I take that as a good sign. :]

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

TSA']Pretty amazing that we went from the oldest team in the league, to one of the youngest team in the league(maybe the youngest).  JR is doing exactly what he set out to do this off season.       

But don't overlook, Coastal, that NHL Numbers does not include our full 'opening night' roster.  While we're not sure who is going to make the team to fill out that roster out of camp -- whoever those additional players are (McBain? Boychuk? Dalpe? Others?) will be much younger then 27, bringing the average down even more.  I think when all is said and done, TSA may be right, the Canes might be among the Top 3 youngest teams after being one of the oldest for the past few years.

Folks moaned about not having enough puck-moving d-men 2 years ago. Last year they moaned about not having enough stay at home d-men. Guess what? How many offensive-defensemen did we have when we won it all? One - and that was Hedican (and that's a stretch).

I'm glad Joe's back. I'd also like to believe that Borer will be brought in and be our solid, stay at home d-man. I love that kid.

Folks moaned about not having enough puck-moving d-men 2 years ago. Last year they moaned about not having enough stay at home d-men. Guess what? How many offensive-defensemen did we have when we won it all? One - and that was Hedican (and that's a stretch).

I'm glad Joe's back. I'd also like to believe that Borer will be brought in and be our solid, stay at home d-man. I love that kid.

He was signed today to a 2-way deal.  There's a lot of hope that Casey can get his game back up to the level he was playing at before the bus accident.  I have a feeling he'll be one of the players that will shuttle bewteen Charlotte and Raleigh and will get chances to stick.  The goal is to develop as much home grown talent as possible, Casey Borer would have made his mark last season if not for the bus accident.

[quote name='gocanes0506 wrote:

Obi-Wan']There are certainly a lot of worse players we could have picked up. Corvo was a solid player for us before and there's no reason to think he won't continue to be good.

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Babchuk

Sanguinetti-Borer

Not bad, all things concerned, and gives us piles of options on the PP at the point, especially if we rotate Staal in there as well.

no McBain?

Having seen Bobby Sanguinetti play in person at least a dozen times, I'd say he's easily better than McBain. Of course, McBain and Borer are interchangeable depending on how Coach Maurice feels on any given night.

Bad Signing! Canes needed a defensive Dman...Not another offensive Dman. Corvo is not a shutdown defenseman.

Gleason is our only Defensive Dman. Pit, Corvo, McBain, Babchuk, & Sanguinetti are all offensive Dmen. Harrison is at best a depth D man in the 6th or 7th spot.

JR you went after the wrong type of defenseman!

If Borer can make the team out of camp, that would be a second defensive defenseman.

[quote name='Red_Storm wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

No, we are not the youngest.  Actually, that one of the "youngest team in the league"statement is a bit overstated.  Go to  
  and you will see that most teams in the league average about 26-28 in terms of average age.  With the signing of Corvo, we bump up to closer to the middle of the pact at around 27. 
smile.gif

But don't overlook, Coastal, that NHL Numbers does not include our full 'opening night' roster.  While we're not sure who is going to make the team to fill out that roster out of camp -- whoever those additional players are (McBain? Boychuk? Dalpe? Others?) will be much younger then 27, bringing the average down even more.  I think when all is said and done, TSA may be right, the Canes might be among the Top 3 youngest teams after being one of the oldest for the past few years.Point well taken.  Its certainly a change in trend from last year. But, my point is the trend torwards younger players making NHL rosters at an earlier age is not limited to the Canes, it's league wide.  Its a parity thing, and what makes the "new" NHL even more exciting to a hockey fan.  Plus, if recent events hold true, rebuilding teams don't have to wait 5 years to be competitive again.

I got home late and just saw the Corvo signing. The defense looks better now. I still think a couple of more moves are coming but we should do ok with this D.