The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jb_online

Center Ice customers

Center Ice is great for seeing the non-televised games and in this market, we have quite a few.  The draw back is that if Versus or NBC (yes, I said NBC) holds the rights to air a game whether they choose to or not, it will be blacked out on Center Ice too.  This happens for about 3 games per season since generally speaking, we're not exactly a thriving metropolis for TV viewership and Versus/NBC rarely opts to purchase the rights to the 'Canes games.

That said.... your signature gets my vote for the best sig I've seen all summer smile.gif

CI is great!!!  Like TSA said, you only miss about 3 games per season.  This year it looks like VS has 4 Canes games.  PLUS seeing all the other games is a HUGE plus for any hockey fan!!!!

Fox Sports will carry 65 out of 82 games for the 2010-11 season and Versus is contracted for 4 (doesn't mean they'll actually air the Canes dry.gif ).

As soon as the schedule gets released which should be soon, you'll be able to see which games aren't televised and be able to decide if CI is a good value.  Even if Versus opts to actually air a 'Canes game, there's only 2 after the games in Finland that would be blacked out by them.

One last thing, if our local Fox Sports doesn't televise the game, you'll get the opposing feed on CI which is sometimes fun to listen to for a change, especially since Dennis Potvin was axed from the Panther's broadcast grin.gif.  The RDS feed from Montreal can be a bit challenging if you don't speak French.

I found it to be well worth it last year, all combined I think there were only 2 Canes games that couldn't be seen between Fox and CI and as mentioned before, those were games televised by neither team (usually during a Vs exclusive window). Where it was really nice was during playoff time, I found myself into the playoffs much more than usual, especially considering the Canes weren't involved. It may have helped that watching the Canadiens beat the Caps and Pens was especially sweet. laugh.gif

I've had CI for a couple of years and I like it for reasons others have mentioned. I upgraded my tickets and will

going to more Canes games---------but CI will allow me to watch the Wild and Phx at least for parts of their games, since the

West plays later. That way I can follow Cully and Whit---both favorites of mine.!

CI allows you to follow pretty much all the hockey teams, if you are inclined. I think you will like it.

Well I have had CI for the last couple of years and its great .. but I was not happy when they wanted me to pay more for CI online (when I couldnt get to my TV) so given the quality of online sports (MLB.tv online is just amazingly good and cheaper than CI) I am going to buy CI online this year .... I will post how it goes!

CI online is not part of the package anymore? Ok I know I've been Germany for the last 3 years, but that was one on the strengths of having the service. The option to watch online if you wanted to.

In Germany I used espn360.com and they were pretty good. Games were usually up in the archive by the next day which was nice since all the games came on at 1 or 3 am CET. The first 2 years as I figured out a way to actually save the streams to my PC (gotta love the flexibility of Linux). But the last year when they updated to the neulion player and the quality was vastly better, but I had to run windows in a virtual machine to get it to work. Not the best solution so I set up a dual boot box again. So if you are in Europe and have a good internet connection, ESPN360 is the way to go.

I will also be getting CI this year from Directv as the USAF has sent me to a New Mexico. A state without any professional sports or college teams worth worrying about.

More on Center Ice for the coming season, including pricing, via Puck Daddy: link

Last year, NHLCI was $163.80 if ordered before Oct. 31. This season, the price has risen to $171.80 (a.k.a. four easy payments of $42.95) if you order Center Ice before Halloween. No word on how high the price is after that date.

Also, NHL Center Ice will offer a free preview for most of the season's first month, going free from Oct. 7-24.

Some things I don't understand about CI is it doesn't seem to carry all the Habs games. Also, for some reason on some occasions the HD feed is blocked

The issue with HD feeds was mentioned in that article...it can be a bit annoying. I understand why it happens with cable, but I see the same thing on Dish, too. It's a hockey-wide issue, in part...eventually Fox will carry all the games HD-only, but they aren't there yet like other sports are.

The Habs are the Yankees of Canada...they probably sell their access rights at a premium. Just a guess.

I've had CI out here in Oklahoma for the past two seasons. The wife doesn't want it during my deployment (she says it'll remind her too much that I'm gone) so we're gonna get the mid-season pickup this time. That being said, it's worth every penny...especially since FSN Oklahoma pre-empts just about ANY Stars game for a stupid OKC Thunder game. That and I get my NESN with all their fine Bernies commercials.

Center Ice is required, just like bread and water. A life requisite.

being from mass, love center ice, see all the canes games...and will be rooting extra for whits with the coyotes.. love the late games when i can awake.. :)

being from mass, love center ice, see all the canes games...and will be rooting extra for whits with the coyotes.. love the late games when i can awake.. :)

Amen to the late games thing. As a young adult who stays up a lot, watching Western conference games is awesome and well worth the price of CI. In fact, I get CI for that reason; not to watch 'Canes game not covered, but to watch everybody else. On the best nites there will be 5-6 great games going on to switch back and forth to, along with the 'Canes game of course. WIth CI, every evening is one to look forward to.

You mean something like this?

I'd have never guessed they made such a thing. That is a Blues practice jersey, that site has several others but no Canes. If you Google around you might find one, or maybe just the patch. Looks like they came out several years ago though (I'd guess first year of CI), so it won't be easy.

You mean something like this?

I'd have never guessed they made such a thing. That is a Blues practice jersey, that site has several others but no Canes. If you Google around you might find one, or maybe just the patch. Looks like they came out several years ago though (I'd guess first year of CI), so it won't be easy.

yep...thought they may have give the jerseys out as part of a deal...just looking for "free" stuff

Ah, I see. My guess is they made them up when CI first came out and made teams wear the patch for a while on their practice jerseys for some advertisement. Just a guess though.

Does anyone have any games listed in their guide? I checked today and it was all blank for the next few weeks... do you think they just haven't added the info yet or is this a bad sign?

Some things I don't understand about CI is it doesn't seem to carry all the Habs games. Also, for some reason on some occasions the HD feed is blocked

Montreal games are broadcast on RDS, which is the French TSN here in Canada. They also are the only team in which blackout rules do not apply in Canada.