The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cmw00

Where to stay in DC?

do not have an answer but I have friends and relatives who live in the area--I'll ask around and see if I can find out for you.

Hopefully I will be at this game as well---we'll see if the budget can handle it.

I have tickets to the caps/canes game on March 9th (section 114 row D). Anybody have any reccomendations for decent AND affordable places. I'd love somthing les than $100 a night if thats possible.

Also it'd be nice if it were close to a metro thingy so we won't have to be walking around the mean streets of DC after the game.

I am in DC at least once a week and I can tell you I'm 99 percent sure you're no way going to find a hotel in the city for less than $100 a night.

You can *try* the Best Western on South Capitol and I streets, though - might be your best bet.

Otherwise, you should look OUTSIDE of the city itself. $100 is way low for the DC area, though.

Last time I went up for a game, I stayed at the Hilton in Arlington.

Go to http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/index.do[/url] and search for the Hilton Arlington - 950 North Stafford Street, Arlington, Virginia 22203 703-528-6000.

It is a really good hotel and @ $98 per night on 3/9, it fits into your budget. It is mainly a business hotel and they have more open rooms on the weekend so that is why the rates are a little cheaper.

Another plus is that it is right above the Metro station, so you can take it directly to the Verizon Center. The Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stop is located under the Verizon Center.

Here is the link to the Metro page:

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm[/url]

It is probably about a 30 minute ride on the train, but be sure to leave well before that, as you will have to switch from the Orange to the Yellow line at Metro Center.

You'll like the arena up there, it is pretty cool. Not the RBC, but pretty cool anyway.

I lived in the area for 15+ years so if you would like any more info, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

http://' target="_blank">

I have tickets to the caps/canes game on March 9th (section 114 row D). Anybody have any reccomendations for decent AND affordable places. I'd love somthing les than $100 a night if thats possible.

Also it'd be nice if it were close to a metro thingy so we won't have to be walking around the mean streets of DC after the game.

If I were you, I wouldn't stay in DC at all. Whenever I go to Canes games its at the Verizon/MCI Center. The building is located in a very industrial area. $$$$$$. Avoid it...Use the the DC Metro best way to save money.

It is probably about a 30 minute ride on the train, but be sure to leave well before that, as you will have to switch from the Orange to the Yellow line at Metro Center.

Yeah, especially if you're leaving during peak rider times, so keep that in mind too! :)

Last time I went up for a game, I stayed at the Hilton in Arlington.

Go to http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/index.do[/url] and search for the Hilton Arlington - 950 North Stafford Street, Arlington, Virginia 22203 703-528-6000.

It is a really good hotel and @ $98 per night on 3/9, it fits into your budget. It is mainly a business hotel and they have more open rooms on the weekend so that is why the rates are a little cheaper.

Another plus is that it is right above the Metro station, so you can take it directly to the Verizon Center. The Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stop is located under the Verizon Center.

Here is the link to the Metro page:

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm[/url]

You'll like the arena up there, it is pretty cool. Not the RBC, but pretty cool anyway.

I lived in the area for 15+ years so if you would like any more info, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

I actually lived right by there in Ballston a few years back. Just two blocks over from the Hilton/Metro station.

It's one of the safer areas in the region, and you've got plenty of restaurants and fast food places nearby. A walkway goes from the Hilton over to the Ballston Mall two blocks away. Helps in the winter when the roads there tend to become like a wind tunnel, though that shouldn't be a problem then.

Parking is absolutely horrible there. Very high cost to park your car at the Hilton and tough to find any places, so if you use a car I'd recommend parking at the Mall. Still high price, but cheaper than what the Hilton charges.

It's only 4 stops out from DC on the Metro line, which is actually only like 2 miles. So very close. Just a simple train change is all you need, and it'll take you right to the MCI Center (was it changed to Verizon Center? Been like 6 years, heh). Though as Ncradford said make sure you give yourself some time. I only went to one game there and the Metro was absolutely packed, though that was to see the Caps play the Red Wings and it was mainly Detroit fans.

Definitely would recommend that, though. Probably the best price you'll find that is still close to where you want to be.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi cwm!

I suggest trying priceline.com. I go to D.C. all the time and get GREAT deals on hotels every time I go. I have stayed at the Marriott or Hilton right in town for $65.00 per night (normally a $400.00 a night room!). You can specify what part of town you want (White House/Downtown, Capitol Hill, or DuPont Circle areas are close), what level of hotel you want (2 or 3 star), and name your own price (usually $60.00 or $65.00 will get you a room). You won't know which hotel you will get until someone accepts your offer, but as I said, I have always gotten Marriott or Hilton for unbelievably low prices!

P.S. There's a parking garage right across the street from the Verizon Center. We went to the last Canes preseason game there and it was easy parking, and worth the $20.00 for the convenience if you're driving.

Hope this helps...Have fun!!! :-)

Find a map of the Metro lines and stay somewhere near one of the stops in Northern VA.

You won't find a nice hotel for less than $100 downtown.

Find a map of the Metro lines and stay somewhere near one of the stops in Northern VA.

You won't find a nice hotel for less than $100 downtown.

Yeah, you could try searching for hotels in say Woodbridge or Springfield which is the furthest south on Metro, and you may find much cheaper hotels. That metro stop also has a large parking area, so you wouldn't have to worry about actually getting to the station (just make sure you pay attention to what time the last train leaves for that station after the game).

I am in DC at least once a week and I can tell you I'm 99 percent sure you're no way going to find a hotel in the city for less than $100 a night.

You can *try* the Best Western on South Capitol and I streets, though - might be your best bet.

Otherwise, you should look OUTSIDE of the city itself. $100 is way low for the DC area, though.

CMW's trying to avoid the "mean streets of DC" and you're recommending South Capitol?? That's so wrong.

I'm with the majority on this one, don't stay in DC itself. I haven't been to the Verizon/MCI Center in a long time, but everything in DC proper costs a fortune. I was in Reston last fall, but that was for a conference so all the hotel stuff was handled by somebody else. However, I know some people in the Reston/Fairfax area that might have some ideas.