http://fans.hurrican...149#entry335149

Brind'Amour top moments: #5

http://video.hurrica...id=684&id=97234

From the Globe and Mail:

Hurricanes prepare to retire Brind'Amour's No. 17

Chris Johnston

The Canadian Press

Published Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011 4:46PM EST

Rod Brind'Amour's path to the NHL started back in his hometown of Campbell River, B.C., with some simple advice from his father.

“My dad had a pipefitter job, one of those tough jobs, and he always told me: ‘You better do something different than the next kid, you don't want to end up doing what I have to do for a living,“’ Brind'Amour recalled Tuesday on a conference call.

“Right from then on, I just said I've got to work harder than the next guy and at least give it everything I have.”

It was an attitude that paid off big time during a NHL career that will be celebrated by the Carolina Hurricanes with the retirement of his No. 17 sweater on Friday night.

Very few, if any, ever worked harder than Brind'Amour on or off the ice.

Full article here

From the "Mike Sundheim" of the Flyers:

ON THE FLY...

Official PR Blog of your Philadelphia Flyers

A SPECIAL CEREMONY AWAITS

BrindAmourFlyer.jpg Brind'Amour was a key leader in the Flyers' 1997 Cup Final run.

Friday’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes will have a special feel to it. Not just because it is the fourth and final meeting of the regular season and because of the obvious ties with Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette, but the Flyers will be a part of a rare number retirement ceremony by the Hurricanes.

Rod Brind’Amour, the former Flyer who spent parts of nine seasons in Orange & Black, will have his famous No. 17 jersey retired by the Carolina Hurricanes with whom he also spent nine seasons with and led them to two Stanley Cup Final appearances and a Stanley Cup Title in 2006.

The head coach of that team was current Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette, who is very glad to be a part of the night’s ceremony.

"Rod embodied the consummate professional athlete. He was dedicated, hard working, talented and passionate,” said Laviolette. “Rod exemplified all of these traits with a relentless desire to win. His leadership accompanied with his play on the ice is a direct link to the championship banner that hangs at the RBC Center. I am thankful for the opportunity to have worked with him. Rod is truly a special person."

Although things at first got off to a rocky start between player and coach, Brind’Amour is quick to admit that he owes the title and most of his success, and current friendship in Carolina to Laviolette.

“He named me captain and he basically gave me every opportunity that I could ever have as a player,” said Brind’Amour. “I played 24, 23 minutes as a player in every situation, and ultimately through his leadership we won that Stanley Cup. I think you see it up there – he gets the most out of his players and he gets it in a way that everyone feels a part of it. That’s the strongest asset – it’s not the X and O’s, it’s not dissecting plays, it’s getting his players to believe and care for each other. That’s what he did here.”

Not to be remiss of his time in Philadelphia, Brind’Amour couldn’t have asked for a more perfect opposing team to be honored in front of.

“It's really special to me,” said Brind’Amour. “They're the team I played the other half of my career, essentially, with. There’s so many great memories there. I'm grateful that the team would pick that night to do that. It couldn't really be better timing for me.

“I loved my time in Philadelphia. There are certain players that play in that city that really do well and love it, and I think I was one of them. I’ve said this many times - the day I got traded from Philadelphia was one of the worst days of my career. Up until that point I bled orange and black. It was an extremely tough time for me to leave that place because I loved it so much.”

Brind%20%27Amour_HeadShot.jpg Rod Brind'Amour was a Flyer from 1991-92 to 1999-00.

And the fans definitely took to him as well.

Over the course of his career as a Flyer, Brind’Amour tallied 235 goals and 366 assists for 601 points in 633 regular season games. Of course he is very well known for another stat – the iron man. During his time with the Flyers Brind’Amour holds the club record for most consecutive games played (484).

Additionally, he added another 24 goals and 27 assists for 51 points in 57 Stanley Cup Playoff games helping the Flyers to the Eastern Conference Finals twice, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Final in 1997.

Friday’s tribute to Brind’Amour will no doubt be a night for all Hurricanes fans, but in the back of Flyers fans everywhere, and even Rod himself, it is a night to pay tribute to one of the most popular players to don the Orange & Black.

“Philadelphia's always at the top of that list because of the organization and because of the following and the reception that you get there. They keep you on your toes and they keep you honest, but they’re always there for you, and I think that says a lot about that Flyer fan base.”

Just got into town...FOUR MORE HOURS...

Glad you made it, AWAC. Now it's only 90 minutes until the doors of the RBC open. Welcome back and have a great time. :welcome:

Edited by g105

Just wanted to say how AWESOME the ceremony was, and for a guy who doesn't like the spotlight, man does Brind'Amour know how to take and run with it! That guy is a natural in front of the camera/crowd/microphone; the speech was genuine and entertaining. Really blew me away to be honest. So glad I went!

#17 forever!

Just wanted to say how AWESOME the ceremony was, and for a guy who doesn't like the spotlight, man does Brind'Amour know how to take and run with it! That guy is a natural in front of the camera/crowd/microphone; the speech was genuine and entertaining. Really blew me away to be honest. So glad I went!

#17 forever!

Totally agree. I was hanging on every word, and did not want it to end. He was very gracious and mesmerizing in front of the camera.

I have attended all three Canes' retirement ceremonies. All were wonderful events, but Rod's ceremony was absolutely magnificient. The ceremony itself was wortht he price of admission. I felt like a got a bonus with the great ame and win that followed. A fitting tribute to the greatest plaeyr to ever don a Hurricanes sweater.

I agree, a gritty win stamped with the Brind'Amour seal of approval. I am starting to wonder if they actually took those number 17 jerseys off or just put their normal one on over top of them.

What a fantastic night... well worth the 8 hours of driving (though my sore body might not agree). It's all goooood :thumbsup:

So I was fortunate enough to actually be at The RBC center... I had set the DVR to "record" :hairpull::pullhair::Aarrg: It didnt't... Any chance they will replay it or is there a link to it...

So I was fortunate enough to actually be at The RBC center... I had set the DVR to "record" :hairpull::pullhair::Aarrg: It didnt't... Any chance they will replay it or is there a link to it...

Good question...somehow it ended up blacked out on NHL Network. I hope the Canes post a video. But I did get to hear Rod's speech via the radio link and it was amazing, didn't expect to hear him speak so eloquently or as long as he did. Great stuff.

I agree, a gritty win stamped with the Brind'Amour seal of approval. I am starting to wonder if they actually took those number 17 jerseys off or just put their normal one on over top of them.

What a fantastic night... well worth the 8 hours of driving (though my sore body might not agree). It's all goooood :thumbsup:

I feel your pain jb but agree it was worth every minute. It was a great night and lots of fun.

You actually waited in line to touch the Cup? There is absolutely no way you saw all of the game in its entirety, then... that line was miles long!

Edited by gocanes88

We only waited 30 minutes. We got in line with about 3 minutes left in the first...and got back just in time for Philly's shortie in the 2nd.

We only waited 30 minutes. We got in line with about 3 minutes left in the first...and got back just in time for Philly's shortie in the 2nd.

Ahem, Ahem...and went right back to your seats, right? What's up with the jersey swap ;)

Ahem, Ahem...and went right back to your seats, right? What's up with the jersey swap ;)

The Philly jersey was to honor Rod during the ceremony...after that, the jersey came off and I wore the regular home jersey that my wife wore during the ceremony...cause there was no way in hell I was cheering for the Canes while wearing a Flyers jersey, even if it was Rod's.

That was a very memorable ceremony. His speech was great with some funny lines and special things to remember. It was very well worth it and the game was on the edge. I'm glad we won that game.

Yes, I'll admit my eyes were starting to water at some points during his speech. I knew they would.

And also my girlfriend and I also stood in line to see the cup and get our picture with it. We only missed about 15 minutes of the 2nd period. The line moved fairly well.

Here's the pictures from that night: #17

And a few videos:

Edited by canes17