TSA

Friesen 5K Run with the Canes - 9/12

Friesen's 5K Run With the Canes 2010

Sunday, September 12

9:00 a.m., RBC Center, Raleigh

100 Yard Kids Caniac Dash - 6-year-olds and younger

200 Yard Kids Caniac Dash - 7-10-year-olds

friesen5k2008_19.jpg

Register now at NCRaces.com or at FriesenPhysioFitness.com. Click here for a map of the course.

In 2006, the Inaugural Friesen 5K Fun Run became one of the most successful first-time events in the area. This event has grown to over 2,000 participants each year and has raised over $125,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Eastern North Carolina.

The Carolina Hurricanes' coaching staff, along with many of the Hurricanes' players, make this an unforgettable day for participants and spectators alike. We have already secured verbal commitments from many of the players to return again this year.

This event could not have been as successful without the support of the businesses in the local area. We are again seeking the area businesses to help us make this event even more successful for 2010.

Official Times

The Friesen 5K Fun Run will be timing all 5K participants to give you an accurate time for the run. Timing chips must be tied to your shoes and will be given out at the race on Sunday. Be sure to allow enough time on race day to pick up your timing chip.

The the top three overall male and female runners will receive awards. All registered participants will be eligible for special drawings including autographed items donated by the Hurricanes players.

Team Competition

The Team Competition will receive awards in the following categories:

1. Most team members registered for the 5K
  2. Most funds raised.

The winning teams receive a special award from Peter Friesen and the Carolina Hurricanes. All teams must designate a captain and have a team name. Funds raised must be turned in before the run on Sunday.

Funds may be turned in at the Leukemia & Lymphoma of Eastern North Carolina's office:

401 Harrison Oaks Blvd

Suite 200

Cary, NC 27513

Monday, September 6 - Friday, September 10 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Entry Fees

Friesen 5K Fun Run (Timed) - $30 ($35 beginning September 1)

100 Yard and 200 Yard Kids Caniac Dash - $10 (includes shirt - no late fee)

To guarantee getting your shirt size, you must register no later than September 1. Shirts will be available on race day while supplies last, but correct sizes can not be guaranteed.

Reminder!

Event is this Sunday, its not too late to register. Walk up registrations are also accepted the morning of the race but shirt sizes are not guaranteed.

A special guest will be at the race, maybe this year he'll be on time ?

Here's a clue:

commodore.jpg

He was there, and on time! Nice guy, he was just "one of us" supporting the cause and the race. He hung around a good hour afterwards (in the back, not mixing with the Canes players) and graciously had "hellos" and photo opportunities for the fans.

BTW, he started in the back and during the race, I had the feeling of something big zinging by me. It was #22. Just cruisin'.

My time was almost exactly 30:00. I'm just glad to finish in one piece.

Nice event this morning and once again Pete Friesen and his family did a great job putting it all together. Seemed like a smaller crowd than they've had in the past but still a good size group. The weather looked a little shaky to start this morning but the sun was shining by the end of the race. John Forslund was the MC and plenty of players were there to support Pete and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of NC.

Almost all of the younger players were there (except those playing in Traverse City) and they did a nice job mingling with the crowd. Tuomo Ruutu, Chad LaRose, Sergei Samsonov, Joe Corvo, Erik Cole, Brandon Sutter, Eric Staal, Cam Ward and Mike Commodore were also there. Mike Commodore stayed to the back in the race and spent quite a bit of time talking to fans. Kate and Mark Rowe (Julia's parents) flew in from California for the event and two cancer survivors spoke briefly to the crowd.

Here's a few pictures taken this morning, the main page should have their official photos up tomorrow sometime.

DSC01096-1.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01098-1.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

I haven't seen any coverage of this event other than in this forum. Did I miss something?

I'm sorry I'm just now reading this. A couple of days after the 5k I wrote an article that's posted here, along with a photo album from the event. Hope you had a chance to see it already, if not, it was a great event!

(Mods feel free to delete if link not allowed)

Edited by Dreamie

Not sure why it wouldn't be allowed, unless of course you forgot to give credit to the source and since you are the source, I think we can overlook it this time ;)

Nice pictures, you must have a great camera lens for that much clarity. Thanks for posting the write up and pictures.