The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

Training Camp 2010

When does it start? Where (I assume the RBC Center)? Times? Are the sessions open to the public?

An article on this board says team reports for physicals on Fri 9/17, with the first on ice

practice at the RBC Center at 9:00 AM, Sat 9/18----coinciding with the Caniac

Carnival.

However---they have been on the ice at the Rec Zone Mon-Fri, starting at 10:00

AM. There were about 30 on the ice this week. All the vets were there except

Joni, Jussi and Sutter. It is open to the public. They look fast and fun to watch.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Hurricanes Announce 2010 Training Camp Schedule

Team to hold first official on-ice practice on Sept. 18

Friday, 09.10.2010 / 3:42 PM

By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the schedule for the team’s 2010 training camp, which will be based in Raleigh until the team departs for Europe on Oct. 1.

The Hurricanes will open training camp with player physicals on Sept. 17, and then hit the ice for their first official practices at the RBC Center on Saturday, Sept. 18, beginning at 9 a.m. The Hurricanes host the Florida Panthers in their first exhibition game three days later, with face-off set for 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21.

On Saturday, Sept. 18, the team will also host its annual Caniac Carnival at the RBC Center, the season kick-off event which includes rides, interactive games, live music and two RBC Bank autograph sessions with select Hurricanes players. The Caniac Carnival begins at 9 a.m. and concludes at 3 p.m., and is free to all fans.

The Hurricanes’ North American-based training camp concludes with an exhibition game against the Atlanta Thrashers on Friday, Oct. 1, at 1:30 p.m. at the RBC Center, which will be free to the public. Tickets to the game have been distributed throughout the summer, and will also be available for pick-up at the Caniac Carnival on Sept. 18. Following the game against the Thrashers, the Hurricanes depart for St. Petersburg, Russia, where they will play an exhibition game against SKA St. Petersburg of the Kontinental Hockey League. The team opens its 2010-11 regular season with two games against the Minnesota Wild in Helsinki, Finland, as a part of the 2010 Compuware NHL Premiere.

All training camp practices are open to the general public. Please find the full training camp practice schedule below.

schedule.png

Capture3.png

‘Canes Announce 2010 Training Camp Roster, Groups

45 players invited to camp in Raleigh

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the roster for the team’s 2010 training camp, to be held in Raleigh. The Hurricanes have invited 45 players to their main camp, including four goaltenders, 16 defensemen and 25 forwards. The full training camp roster and group breakdown can be downloaded here:

CAMP ROSTER (pdf) | CAMP GROUPS (pdf)

Eleven players who represented the Hurricanes during this week’s NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, MI, will join the main camp: forwards Zac Dalpe, Riley Nash, Jared Staal, Matt Kennedy, Mike McKenzie and Jeff Skinner; defensemen Michal Jordan, Austin Levi, Rasmus Rissanen and Kyle Lawson; and goaltender Mike Murphy.

The Hurricanes will open training camp with player physicals on Sept. 17, and then hit the ice for their first official practices at the RBC Center on Saturday, Sept. 18, beginning at 9 a.m. Most of the team’s veteran players will skate with Group B on Saturday, which takes the ice at 11:30 a.m. Carolina hosts the Florida Panthers in its first exhibition game three days later, with face-off set for 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21.

On Saturday, Sept. 18, the team will also host its annual Caniac Carnival at the RBC Center, the season kick-off event which includes rides, interactive games, live music and two RBC Bank autograph sessions with select Hurricanes players. The Caniac Carnival begins at 9 a.m. and concludes at 3 p.m., and is free to all fans.

The Hurricanes’ North American-based training camp concludes with an exhibition game against the Atlanta Thrashers on Friday, Oct. 1, at 1:30 p.m. at the RBC Center, which will be free to the public. Tickets to the game have been distributed throughout the summer, and will also be available for pick-up at the Caniac Carnival on Sept. 18. Following the game against the Thrashers, the Hurricanes depart for St. Petersburg, Russia, where they will play an exhibition game against SKA St. Petersburg of the Kontinental Hockey League. The team opens its 2010-11 regular season with two games against the Minnesota Wild in Helsinki, Finland, as a part of the 2010 Compuware NHL Premiere.

All training camp practices are open to the general public. Media interested in covering the team during training camp should contact Mike Sundheim at mikes@carolinahurricanes.com or (919) 861-5477 or Kyle Hanlin at kyleh@carolinahurricanes.com or (919) 861-5429.

hmm, weren't there suppose to be a couple of free agents that were going to be invited, are they included here? I don't see anyone listed that would suggest it, but then again, I am not 100% familiar with every player mentioned.

I don't think anyone from the team ever mentioned try-outs/UFA. Chip brought up Scott Walker's name when he showed up for the golf tournament, but that's it. With all the rookies they want to look at they need maximum ice time.

I don't think anyone from the team ever mentioned try-outs/UFA. Chip brought up Scott Walker's name when he showed up for the golf tournament, but that's it. With all the rookies they want to look at they need maximum ice time.

Ichigo is right, Rutherford told the media last week he cold invite a couple of unsigned players to camp. Here is JR's response to a question posed by Bob Wage from Canes Country.

Wage: Have there been any thoughts given to additions to the roster or tryouts at camp?

JR: We're probably going to bring in a couple of guys on tryouts with NHL experience and maybe even sign a guy on a two-way contract who has NHL experience. This is the point in free agency that most people kind of forget about. People get all excited about July 1, 2, 3, and 4. But the fact of the matter is that excitement goes away pretty quick because not a lot of championships are won on that date. And not a lot of championships are won now, at this point I'm referring about in free agency, but the deals make more sense and there are guys who are out there who didn't get contracts, or who didn't get what they wanted, so we might jump in and grab a couple of those guys. But, I don't want to sign those guys to one-way contracts because I've told our young guys that these spots are open. I don't want to close the door on them, they have worked so hard to come in and try to earn that spot. If it doesn't work six weeks into the season, then I'll start to make adjustments, but I think it's going to work out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ah, thanks coastal, I missed that one. Quite a detailed answer, nice to see they have respect for the "non-traditional" media (I think that's Canes Country?).

He confirmed what I was thinking as far as keeping slots open for the rookies. The two-way requirement might keep most remaining FA's away. Any good lists of who is left out there on the market?

Edited by JLP

Only training camp FA invitee so far is Mike McKenzie from the Prospect tournament. Son of TSN's Bob McKenzie. JR mention that he might have just played his way onto Charlotte. Actual McKenzie signed a two way AHL / ECHL contract with Charlotte, but it looks very good for him to get invited to the Canes camp. Because his contract is with Charlotte that is why he is listed as an invitee.

Ah, thanks coastal, I missed that one. Quite a detailed answer, nice to see they have respect for the "non-traditional" media (I think that's Canes Country?).

He confirmed what I was thinking as far as keeping slots open for the rookies. The two-way requirement might keep most remaining FA's away. Any good lists of who is left out there on the market?

I poked around the other day but didn't find anyone I thought might take a two-way, although I was primarily looking at defenseman or two-way forwards who could win faceoffs and kill penalties. I was also biased towards players under 30.

I poked around the other day but didn't find anyone I thought might take a two-way, although I was primarily looking at defenseman or two-way forwards who could win faceoffs and kill penalties. I was also biased towards players under 30.

How about this guy:

TSNBobMcKenzie

UFA winger Patrick O'Sullivan is on verge of signing one year, two-way contract with Carolina Hurricanes. 3 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

I would trust this source because his own son plays for this organization and got the invite to camp.

More from TSN:

O'Sullivan set to sign two-way deal with the Hurricanes

How about this guy:

TSNBobMcKenzie

UFA winger Patrick O'Sullivan is on verge of signing one year, two-way contract with Carolina Hurricanes. 3 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

I would trust this source because his own son plays for this organization and got the invite to camp.

More from TSN:

O'Sullivan set to sign two-way deal with the Hurricanes

How ironic is it that the Canes will have Joni Pitkanen, Erik Cole and Patrick O'Sullivan. Each player had everything to do with JR getting the other signed and traded.

Being that I'll be in Raleigh this weekend. I'll try and get up early enough to check out the practice, probably won't have time to stay the whole time though. So if you see a guy wearing a black NC State hat, it might be me.

I see O'Sullivan is from Winston-Salem though born in Toronto, would be cool if he made the roster.

Getting a guy who had 34 points last year to sign a two-way? Hmmm, something's fishy in Denmark. Nonetheless, could play out to be a good insurance move by JR.

Edited by coastal_caniac

O'Sullivan is a very low risk, high reward signing on a two way deal. If he finds his game that he left in LA then he becomes a nice part of the Canes top 9. If not then he is sent to Charlotte, and the Canes move on with a young gun in that spot.

More competition for the forwards at camp. I think this is a great move by JR. By the way when did the Oilers become part of our farm system? :th_Canada:

O'Sullivan is a very low risk, high reward signing on a two way deal. If he finds his game that he left in LA then he becomes a nice part of the Canes top 9. If not then he is sent to Charlotte, and the Canes move on with a young gun in that spot.

More competition for the forwards at camp. I think this is a great move by JR. By the way when did the Oilers become part of our farm system? :th_Canada:

Paul's TTS blog goes over all the things to look for with this years training camp: (Our direct feed isnt working so I'll post it here)

Training Camp: What to Watch For

Friday, 09.17.2010 / 11:05 AM / Blog

By Paul Branecky

Jeff Skinner

skinner091710story_thumb.jpg

Although he’s just one of a handful of young players looking to nail down a roster spot, at this point, the Hurricanes’ first-round pick in this summer’s draft deserves his own section.

Skinner received positive reports in his first two games in Traverse City despite not finding the score sheet, but broke out in a big way after that. He notched five points in the team’s 8-1 rout of Columbus before netting an assist and the double-overtime winner in the third-place game against Tampa Bay. That was enough to tie him for the tournament scoring lead with seven points and pace all skaters with 21 shots on goal.

In addition to generating plenty of buzz from other teams who were in attendance, Skinner managed to impress a Hurricanes staff that was already more than pleased with its prized prospect.

“He was doing things we’ve never seen anyone in our organization do at that age,” said General Manager Jim Rutherford. “His tenacity and willingness to win battles were exceptional. When the game was on the line, he was making a lot of things happen.”

It’s rare for players to make the jump to the NHL as 18-year-olds in their draft year, but faced with the decision of keeping him or sending him back to his junior team (he cannot play in the American Hockey League due to his age), the Canes may feel that he has little left to prove after scoring 70 total goals in the Ontario Hockey League last season. Only a key role on Canada’s World Junior team could serve to further aid his development.

“That’s always the juggling act an organization has to go through,” said Rutherford. “He’s going to get another test here at the main training camp, but I would be greatly surprised if our decision was that difficult.”

Look for a contract to be headed Skinner’s way in the next few weeks.

Center Ice

Behind Eric Staal and Brandon Sutter, the next two spots at center are the most available roster positions heading into camp. That being said, there’s no shortage of bodies to fill them.

Skinner, Zac Dalpe, Patrick Dwyer, Jon Matsumoto, Riley Nash and possibly Patrick O’Sullivan (much more on him later if he ends up finalizing the one-year, two way deal the Hurricanes have offered him) will all get legitimate cracks at starting the season down the middle, and perhaps elsewhere. Of that group, only Matsumoto and Nash are considered pure centers, with the rest able to play the wing if needed.

dalpe091710_thumb.jpg

Dwyer gets an edge in terms of NHL experience, having manned the Hurricanes’ third line for most of his 58 games with the big club last season. However, he’s played wing for most of his career, making a potential switch all too easy. That versatility, combined with his penalty-killing prowess and the team’s risk of losing the 27-year-old to waivers on an AHL reassignment, works in his favor.

Matsumoto, who has yet to make his NHL debut as a 23-year-old former draft pick of the Flyers, would likely land a fourth-line role if he sticks with the Hurricanes this season. That leaves the third line to O’Sullivan if he signs (although the Hurricanes like him more as a winger), and a trio of players who have been impressive from the start of informal practices all the way through the Traverse City prospects tournament.

Dalpe, Nash and Skinner have an average age under 20 and a combined zero games of NHL experience, but all project to make it someday. Between the three of them, odds are that one will step up and claim a role. If not, established veterans such as Jussi Jokinen and Tuomo Ruutu could end up centering the third line, although the Hurricanes prefer them to be top-six wingers.

Defensive Depth

Like at forward, there will also be a chance for up-and-coming players to impress on the back end. The Canes should have no problem fielding an experienced top six, but have around eight players who they consider ready or near-ready to be full-time NHL players.

Anton Babchuk, Joe Corvo, Tim Gleason, Jamie McBain and Joni Pitkanen are assured of spots, with Brett Carson, Jay Harrison and Bobby Sanguinetti most likely to challenge for a regular role as the sixth man. Of the latter group, only Sanguinetti could be assigned to Charlotte without having to clear waivers.

Carson and Harrison have the most experience of that group, having played 59 and 58 NHL games, respectively, compared to Sanguinetti’s five. However, Sanguinetti, a 22-year-old first-round pick of the Rangers in 2006, is the most highly-touted prospect. If he looks good in camp and seems poised to earn enough ice time, he could put himself into contention despite the team’s abundance of similar puck-moving types.

During the off-season, Rutherford said he could carry as many as eight defensemen on the opening-night roster to let the situation sort itself out. In that scenario, players could rotate depending on match-ups, with someone like Harrison, who was brought back to provide a gritty presence, going into the lineup as needed

Goalie Prospects

Justin Peters has been saying all the right things about having to earn a roster spot backing up Cam Ward, but barring something greatly unexpected over the next several weeks, that job should be his.

murphy091710_thumb.jpg

However, there could still be a goaltending job to be won in Charlotte. Both Mike Murphy, who had an outstanding tournament in Traverse City for the second consecutive year, and Justin Pogge will be minding the nets next season, and as of yet the team has not named either one as the primary starter.

It could stay that way for the rest of the year, as both players should have a legitimate claim. Pogge, the one-time goaltender of the future in Toronto, is still just 24 and is the more experienced of the two, having suited up for seven games in the NHL and 178 more over four seasons in the minors. By comparison, Murphy, 21, is entering just his second professional season but may be the more highly-regarded prospect at this point.

Both are still developing as goalies, which will make playing time crucial. They should each get their reps in Charlotte, but look for one to possibly gain an edge during camp.

Sophomore Breakouts

Most of the focus at camp will be on incoming players, and rightfully so, but much is riding on the play of those that have been here before.

Hurricanes management believes it’s assembled a group that will grow together and contend at some point, but as of now, no one can answer the question of how soon that will be. If everything is to come together this season, the Hurricanes will need a consistently high level of play from Eric Staal and Cam Ward and help from a productive supporting cast, including healthier years from Erik Cole and Tuomo Ruutu and an encore of better-than-expected seasons by Jussi Jokinen, Jamie McBain and Brandon Sutter.

Beyond that group, a player or two will need to step up from a collection of players who got their first taste of NHL action last season. Drayson Bowman, Zach Boychuk, Oskar Osala, Jiri Tlusty and Jerome Samson and proved capable in stints of various length, but the difference from a competitive team to a playoff team could be one or two of them making a Sutter-like leap from year one to year two after a summer of hard work.

Of those players, Tlusty will get the best chance by simply being the only player subject to waivers on an AHL assignment. He only began skating with the team at informal practices on Thursday after off-season ACL surgery, and is still not cleared for contact. His health is worth watching during camp, but he should have a spot regardless.

Bowman and Boychuk were given the benefit of the doubt based on original training camp groupings, which were loosely divided between veterans and prospects. Although groups will be subject to change with players like Dalpe, Nash and Skinner likely to skate with the big boys at some point, Bowman and Boychuk are starting in the “veterans” group. Look for those two to lead the pack of more advanced prospects looking to cement their status as NHL players.

I definitely didn't see the O'Sullivan signing coming.. Very interesting sign.. It has to make you wonder even more about Samsonov.. Even tho, all reports are that Sammy has looked really strong at the workouts

What a preseason we are in store for! Suddenly I want to go to all the preseason games!

Assuming that Kosto, Cole, Sammy, Staal, Jussi, Ruutu, Sutter, LaRose, and Tlusty (his knee willing), are inked in (pending last minute trades), we would have 3 forward spots open. Boychuk is certainly on the inside track, but with the waiting room full of auditioners his spot can hardly be secure.

Anyway, vying for those three spots would be:

Skinner: strong chance. We will need scoring and that recent write up all but gave him a spot. He benefits from the fact he cannot be sent to Charlotte. NOTHING to prove in the JRs.

O'Sullivan: his big advantage is that he is a veteran center on team in need of a veteran center. His 2 way and our prospect log jam at center hurts, but he is not a long shot.

Boychuk: Still a very solid prospect, but with all the competition he will NEED to find the net this year, and preferably early on, or he will be victim of the numbers game.

Dalpe All he does is keep putting up points. His name just keeps finding the score sheet. May start in AHL, if he does he will keep scoring and either get called up, or maybe part of a trade. He really could earn a center spot out of camp.

Dwyer: Plays hard, consistent, probably wins the 4th line center job, since I doubt the Canes want to put any of our high flying prospects on the 4th line.

Nash: Supposedly has the great playmaking skills. Seems to be a favorite of Francis. Seemed to have the inside track. Not sure how great he was at the prospect tourney. I had assumed he would get the 3rd line center job, but now with O'Sullivan here and Dalpe continuing to shine, not so sure. REALY want to see him play.

Masumoto. A former third round pick, now a 7th round equivalent. As a now somewhat older AHL'er one has to think he is going to be victim to the numbers game, especially with a guy like O'Sullivan around. His best chance would have to be 4th line center with Dwyer on the wing with Kosto. Seems like a long shot though.

Bowman Just keeps scoring. Only 2 goals in NHL, but in only 9 games (vs. Tlusty's 1 in 20 games). Seems to miss most of these conversations, and probably starts in the AHL, but this guy will be an NHL scorer at some point soon.

Samson: Put up lots of goals in the minors. Tenacious along the boards. Has played NHL games. I would love him on the 4th line, with the chance to move up over time a la Chad LaRose's career path.

Osala probably a year or two away, but some on these boards love him, so maybe.

As mentioned the defense has 3 guys vying for one spot. And goal is pretty well set.

But that's 10 guys with a shot at 3 spots. Which 3 make the team? I really don't think anyone can know. That's why this is the greatest training camp/preseason since I've been a fan. So many good prospects. It's going to be hard to crack the Checker's lineup. I will definitely be using my Checkers vouchers.

And those 10 guys don't even finish the sentence about our depth. It leaves off the likes of Justin Shugg, Nick Dodge, Chris Terry, Cedrick Lelonde etc, Matt Pistilli, Jared Staal, and all those defenseman we picked up, and Mike Murphy and Pogge.

JR restocked this team amazingly fast.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Edited by remkin

Quick ? here, where would be the best place to park for tomorrow (I'll be at the 9am practice)? Or does it matter....

Edited by captain_jack88

O'Sullivan: his big advantage is that he is a veteran center on team in need of a veteran center. His 2 way and our prospect log jam at center hurts, but he is not a long shot.

O'Sullivan is a winger. So I would like to see a little Jokinen-Staal-O'Sullivan in the preseason. See Rem, it works out...you know, that winger to play with Staal dream you keep having. :twilight-zone:

I share your enthusiasm, we really have some depth on the O side.

Edited by coastal_caniac

What a preseason we are in store for! Suddenly I want to go to all the preseason games!

JR restocked this team amazingly fast.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Isn't this the truth. I think you nailed it. It is going to be lots of fun watching what happens. After reading the background on O'Sullivan I have to pull for him to make a comeback. But we just have so much young talent it is difficult to predict what will happen.