The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

Training Camp 2010

O'Sullivan will be in the top-6 opening night, pencil him in. If you ask me Dalpe has the inside track right now for the third-line center position. BTW, he was 6 for 8 in the circle last night.

If Skinner does start playing wing AND makes the team somebody has to go. There is just no room in the top-9. I'd rather him go back to Kitchner and also play in the world juniors than spend the year on the fourth line.

I've been saying this all along, Boychuk is not ready.

O'Sullivan will be in the top-6 opening night, pencil him in. If you ask me Dalpe has the inside track right now for the third-line center position. BTW, he was 6 for 8 in the circle last night.

If Skinner does start playing wing AND makes the team somebody has to go. There is just no room in the top-9. I'd rather him go back to Kitchner and also play in the world juniors than spend the year on the fourth line.

I agree, great post!

2nd this!

IMO...Sully will make the team. Skinner will be moved to wing, & make the team. Dalpe will be the third line center. Dywer 4th line center. Sagnuinetti will make the team, and rotate in with Carson & Harrison for the 6th D spot. Boychuk / Nash will start in the AHL.

I really like what I have seen from & read about Dalpe.

My impression was he would play wing as well. But he's been at center at the prospects tournament, training camp and last night. That's why I had him at center on my depth chart at this time. Post up those Rutherford comments please.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-skinner-could-make-leap-to-nhl

Near the bottom of the article. This is one of about three times that Jimmy has mentioned Skinner playing wing. In one interview he pretty much made it sound like if he was going to play this year, it would be at wing....said the defensive responsibilities of center were too much to ask.

Also:

General manager Jim Rutherford said Skinner could be used on the wing at some point. But Skinner is getting a look at center.

"That's his best chance for now," Rutherford said.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/09/572003/skinner-getting-notice.html#ixzz10I39Ie7S

And....

The Canes are transitioning to a younger squad. Four or five forward spots are up for grabs, including a few Skinner might fill at wing.

“We do view Jeff as a two-positional player,” Rutherford said.

Ditto for centre Zac Dalpe, 20, a Paris, Ont., native out of Ohio State. Then there’s 21-year-old Riley Nash, a Cornell University product at pivot.

“We have several good young players, more than the spots available,” Rutherford said.

Drayson Bowman, Oskar Osala, Jerome Samson, Zach Boychuk and former Toronto Maple Leafs winger Jiri Tlusty are up-and-coming Canes forwards Skinner is competing with. Bowman helped Spokane beat the Rangers in the 2008 Memorial Cup.

Centre or wing, makes no difference in Skinner’s case. He can fill either role.

“We’ve done it before,” Rutherford said, recalling the first player he picked as Hartford Whalers GM was Guelph Storm centre Jeff O’Neill in 1994.

“He came out of junior as a centre. We moved him to wing.”

Edited by TheBigKahuna

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-skinner-could-make-leap-to-nhl

Near the bottom of the article. This is one of about three times that Jimmy has mentioned Skinner playing wing. In one interview he pretty much made it sound like if he was going to play this year, it would be at wing....said the defensive responsibilities of center were too much to ask.

Also:

General manager Jim Rutherford said Skinner could be used on the wing at some point. But Skinner is getting a look at center.

"That's his best chance for now," Rutherford said.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/09/572003/skinner-getting-notice.html#ixzz10I39Ie7S

And....

The Canes are transitioning to a younger squad. Four or five forward spots are up for grabs, including a few Skinner might fill at wing.

“We do view Jeff as a two-positional player,” Rutherford said.

Ditto for centre Zac Dalpe, 20, a Paris, Ont., native out of Ohio State. Then there’s 21-year-old Riley Nash, a Cornell University product at pivot.

“We have several good young players, more than the spots available,” Rutherford said.

Drayson Bowman, Oskar Osala, Jerome Samson, Zach Boychuk and former Toronto Maple Leafs winger Jiri Tlusty are up-and-coming Canes forwards Skinner is competing with. Bowman helped Spokane beat the Rangers in the 2008 Memorial Cup.

Centre or wing, makes no difference in Skinner’s case. He can fill either role.

“We’ve done it before,” Rutherford said, recalling the first player he picked as Hartford Whalers GM was Guelph Storm centre Jeff O’Neill in 1994.

“He came out of junior as a centre. We moved him to wing.”

Thanks for posting those. I remember reading the same thing but couldn't find them. But, the fact remains those comments were prior to the arrival of O'Sullivan. Making the team at wing just got a little harder, particularly with Cole and Sammy still around. We'll see.

I agree....either Jimmy unloads someone, or Skinner gets sent back to Kitchner. I don't see him sticking around all year as a 13th forward, playing an injury backup role. Although he might develop better practicing here every day than he would in juniors. Tough call. Although, everyone in front of him, is on a two way except Tlusty. Skinner likely gets 9 games here while Sullivan starts the year in Charlotte if needed.

I don't see why they would make such a big deal about signing Skinner unless they planned on keeping him up with the big boys THIS YEAR. Pulling a "Hey come watch our new star! Oh wait, he's going back to juniors for the year" would just be cruel to the fanbase. I say he sticks, but as many have stated, that means JR most likely has to make a move at some point to free up a spot.

I agree....either Jimmy unloads someone, or Skinner gets sent back to Kitchner. I don't see him sticking around all year as a 13th forward, playing an injury backup role. Although he might develop better practicing here every day than he would in juniors. Tough call. Although, everyone in front of him, is on a two way except Tlusty. Skinner likely gets 9 games here while Sullivan starts the year in Charlotte if needed.

My thought would be Tlusty starts the season on IR. If he's not ready to go, and there's no spot, he doesn't clear waivers. That leaves a spot open for Skinner to get his 9 games in the top-6 with some protection. Put him on the second line with Sutter and Ruutu and let Staal center OS and Jussi. If he wows, he sticks, but otherwise he's back to Kitchner.

I don't see why they would make such a big deal about signing Skinner unless they planned on keeping him up with the big boys THIS YEAR. Pulling a "Hey come watch our new star! Oh wait, he's going back to juniors for the year" would just be cruel to the fanbase. I say he sticks, but as many have stated, that means JR most likely has to make a move at some point to free up a spot.

Maybe I'm off the mark, but I really hope Skinner earns his spot with his play, just like everyone else. I'll admit, JR is usually pretty frank about his intentions when speaking to the media, but rushing an 18-year old into the league is a slippery slope, IMO. And its not needed right now with the talent we have trying to make the team.

Maybe I'm off the mark, but I really hope Skinner earns his spot with his play, just like everyone else. I'll admit, JR is usually pretty frank about his intentions when speaking to the media, but rushing an 18-year old into the league is a slippery slope, IMO. And its not needed right now with the talent we have trying to make the team.

I don't think your off the mark and Skinner will have to show he can stick in the NHL. But with the AHL not an option what more can he learn in juniors. I guess they could use the time to work on conditioning and bulking him up a little. I think when they switch him to wing he still gets every chance to earn a spot. After all it is a rebuilding year. But your point about rushing him is well taken. It's gonna get interesting.

Skinner's situation is a catch-22. Hes got nothing left to prove/learn at the junior level. He needs to be playing against better competition. He was the most prolific scorer in that league last year. Another year there does nothing at all to help him. And yet he can't play any level of pro hockey except the NHL. I still think he benefits more from staying up, and maybe not playing a full schedule. These kids aren't used to an 82 game season, and Skinner hasn't exactly had a long restful summer. No way can he play 82 games. But I'd keep him up, and let him sit out a few games here and there.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but Skinner is not on either roster for Nashville. I'm sure he'll see action in Atlanta, but one would think they'd want to see as much as possible of him.

It's a shame about the rules with regard to the AHL. Maybe each team should get a single exemption where they can send one teenager to the AHL each year.

We had a similar situation with Sutter. If I recall we just sent him back to junior's. While it it clearly true that he needs better competition, another year of strength training would be good, and he can always refine that scoring touch even further. The other point by Coastal is well taken: the flip side is the "rushing him" argument whereby a scorer who struggles at this level loses his confidence. And I would also agree with the notion that we have plenty of guys we need to give a look. We have no need to throw an 18 year old out there.

I suspect he gets the 9 day try out, but will have to actually produce goals to stick. We have too many good prospects, and too many point producing question marks to carry him just for training.

Here's another question for the rules experts. If Skinner sticks with the team, but about half way it becomes clear that it was a mistake, and we need to send him somewhere, I assume it's back to juniors, and no waivers, and the big downside is we eat up one year of his entry contract. Is that right?

Edited by remkin

Can Skinner play in the ECHL or Europe? I know they might not be as good as the AHL,but I would think they would have to be better than Juniors. I don't know if other pro leagues have age restrictions similar to the AHL. I really hope he is good enough to make the Canes.

The more I have thought about it, the more I don't buy the "Skinner has nothing to prove in major Junior". Can he repeat the success he had last year? Can he dominate in the World Junior Championship like he did in Traverse City? Remember, he hasn't played in the WJC thus far. Can he further his role as a leader. Can he continue to bulk up and get stronger. So, I think there is work left to be done, and going back to Kitchener certainly shouldn't be a road block to his career.

Here's another question for the rules experts. If Skinner sticks with the team, but about half way it becomes clear that it was a mistake, and we need to send him somewhere, I assume it's back to juniors, and no waivers, and the big downside is we eat up one year of his entry contract. Is that right?

I'm no expert but you are correct, after a junior-aged player has played his nine NHL games his entry level contract kicks in if he remains with the NHL club.

Some 18 year olds are ready to play in the NHL and some are not. We'll have to trust the Canes to figure it out over the next few weeks.

That's my concern. JR has been accused before of rushing players. But, more often than not they are not ready. That's certainly been the norm for a long time. However, at the same time the NHL is becoming more of a young mans game and we are seeing more of these younger players coming out and sticking with the big clubs.

Like you say, we will see and trust the Canes make the right decision, whatever it is. I just hope its based solely upon his play.

Just curious but which players did JR rush into the lineup? With very few exceptions, transitions to the NHL level of play is never easy. It's all about instincts, skill and strength and if a young guy like Skinner is already a stand-out at a lower level and shows the right smarts to 'survive' AND be productive I believe he deserves a closer look and more exposure. The NHL's 10 game rule/restriction is spot on not only to protect young players but also over-zealous managers. I think JR has always been very level headed.

Things I have noticed:

Where is my boy Osala????

Is it just me or does Samson look huge?

O'Sullivan appears to be a beast and makes things happen whenever he hits the ice. It reminds me of when Samsonov first came to the Canes. That guy was unstoppable. Maybe O'Sullivan will be the same way?

Dalpe has a lot of speed behind those skates.

Skinner is incredible when he is aroung the goal crease and even at 18 vets were having trouble containing him. But he does look slow......

Thoughts?

Things I have noticed:

O'Sullivan appears to be a beast and makes things happen whenever he hits the ice. It reminds me of when Samsonov first came to the Canes. That guy was unstoppable. Maybe O'Sullivan will be the same way?

Skinner is incredible when he is aroung the goal crease and even at 18 vets were having trouble containing him. But he does look slow......

Thoughts?

On Osala, just too many great prospects, and with O'Sullivan, Osala has no chance of cracking the roster.

O'Sullivan. The skill is obvious. Will he back check? That will determine his long terms survival, but this team will need scoring up front, so anyone who can clearly put up points will have a spot to lose. O'Sullivan will be on the team to start. (I would also suspect that with his strong showing thus far, the Canes would not be able to send him down and call him back without losing him on the waiver wire). Write it in ink.

Dalpe clearly has the inside track for third line center, unless Skinner goes there. Supposedly Skinner might start on wing.

Skinner is interesting. It seems highly likely that baring a meltdown he will get the 9 game look. If he isn't ready, look for Bowman to be the first man up (if he doesn't make it straight up). Skinner has made some things happen, and he's only going to get better. It is just SO hard for an 18 y/o to actually put up points in the NHL and this team needs production this year. True, he has nothing left to prove in Jrs. but that doesn't mean he won't keep getting better there.

On his speed, he is not Cole, but then neither was Stillman, and he was pretty dang effective on offense. Skinner seems to be so good in the zone, with a nose for the right spot and putting the puck in the net. He will be a star, just a question of when.

Things I have noticed:

Thoughts?

It does surprise me a little that you think Skinner is slow. I'm not disagreeing but on the stream it is difficult to tell. That is a interesting observation and I guess I'll need to pay more attention. I agree that he looks good around the net.

ice_chip

Headed to Charlotte: Dodge, Kennedy, Borer, Osala, McKenzie, Murphy, Blanchard, FitzGerald, Jordan, Chaput, Lawson, Terry, Bellemore.

3 minutes ago via web

No real surprises there.