The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

Training Camp 2010

Just curious but which players did JR rush into the lineup? With very few exceptions, transitions to the NHL level of play is never easy. It's all about instincts, skill and strength and if a young guy like Skinner is already a stand-out at a lower level and shows the right smarts to 'survive' AND be productive I believe he deserves a closer look and more exposure. The NHL's 10 game rule/restriction is spot on not only to protect young players but also over-zealous managers. I think JR has always been very level headed.

No one said the transition was easy. That's pretty much a no-brainer. The point is there is no need to put Skinner in the lineup for 82 NHL games if his play doesn't warrant it in the first nine games. Particulary this year.

I couldn't find any links to the accusations I was referring to, but I remember them distinctly when the team arrived in Carolina. Maybe I mis-spoke and the accusations were not true, I've been wrong before.

If Boychuk cracks the lineup, I would accuse JR myself of rushing players. Based upon last year's stint with the Canes, and what he has shown so far in camp and preseason, he's got some work to do, and needs to be in Charlotte. But, I'm not a huge Boychuk fan.

Training Camp roster cuts:

Hurricanes Trim Training Camp to 31

13 players assigned to Charlotte; Checkers open camp on Monday

Saturday, 09.25.2010 / 12:34 PM

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned 13 players from its training camp to its top minor-league affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League.

The 13 players assigned to Charlotte are forwards Nicolas Blachard, Stefan Chaput, Nick Dodge, Matt Kennedy, Mike McKenzie, Oskar Osala and Chris Terry; defensemen Brett Bellemore, Casey Borer, Zack Fitzgerald, Michal Jordan and Kyle Lawson; and goaltender Mike Murphy. An updated Hurricanes training camp roster can be found here.

Updated Training Camp Roster:

Goaltenders

30 WARD, Cam

31 POGGE, Justin

60 PETERS, Justin

Defense

4 McBAIN, Jamie

6 GLEASON, Tim

24 SANGUINETTI, Bobby

25 PITKANEN, Joni

27 CARSON, Brett

28 RODNEY, Bryan

33 BABCHUK, Anton

44 HARRISON, Jay

77 CORVO, Joe

Forwards

8 O’SULLIVAN, Patrick

11 BOYCHUK, Zach

12 STAAL, Eric

14 SAMSONOV, Sergei

15 RUUTU, Tuomo

16 SUTTER, Brandon

18 MATSUMOTO, Jon

19 TLUSTY, Jiri

21 BOWMAN, Drayson

22 DALPE, Zac

23 NASH, Riley

26 COLE, Erik RW

29 KOSTOPOULOS, Tom

34 STAAL, Jared

36 JOKINEN, Jussi

39 DWYER, Patrick

53 SKINNER, Jeff

59 LaROSE, Chad

71 SAMSON, Jerome

Hurricanes Trim Training Camp Roster to 26

Five players head to Charlotte (AHL); Checkers camp opens Monday

Sunday, 09.26.2010 / 11:34 AM

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned five players from its training camp to its top minor-league affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

The five players assigned to Charlotte are forwards Jon Matsumoto, Riley Nash, Jerome Samson and Jared Staal, as well as defenseman Bryan Rodney. An updated Hurricanes training camp roster is attached to this release.

Current Roster: 3 goalies; 8 defensemen; 15 forwards

Goaltenders

30 WARD, Cam

31 POGGE, Justin

60 PETERS, Justin

Defense

4 McBAIN, Jamie

6 GLEASON, Tim

24 SANGUINETTI, Bobby

25 PITKANEN, Joni

27 CARSON, Brett

33 BABCHUK, Anton

44 HARRISON, Jay

77 CORVO, Joe

Forwards

8 O’SULLIVAN, Patrick

11 BOYCHUK, Zach

12 STAAL, Eric

14 SAMSONOV, Sergei

15 RUUTU, Tuomo

16 SUTTER, Brandon

19 TLUSTY, Jiri

21 BOWMAN, Drayson

22 DALPE, Zac

26 COLE, Erik

29 KOSTOPOULOS, Tom

36 JOKINEN, Jussi

39 DWYER, Patrick

53 SKINNER, Jeff

59 LaROSE, Chad

According to Paul:

With Jon Matsumoto, Riley Nash, Bryan Rodney, Jerome Samson and Jared Staal leaving the Hurricanes’ main training camp on Sunday, the team’s roster now stands at 26, which is one more than the maximum allowed to clubs making season-opening trip to Europe.

That makes one more cut a necessity, although coach Paul Maurice says the team may take as few as 24 depending on health. Teams are typically only allowed 23 during the regular season, but those headed overseas are granted a temporary exception.

Hurricanes Trim Training Camp Roster to 26

Five players head to Charlotte (AHL); Checkers camp opens Monday

Sunday, 09.26.2010 / 11:34 AM

By Ken Preston

The five players assigned to Charlotte are forwards Jon Matsumoto, Riley Nash, Jerome Samson and Jared Staal, as well as defenseman Bryan Rodney. An updated Hurricanes training camp roster is attached to this release.

According to Paul:

With Jon Matsumoto, Riley Nash, Bryan Rodney, Jerome Samson and Jared Staal leaving the Hurricanes’ main training camp on Sunday, the team’s roster now stands at 26, which is one more than the maximum allowed to clubs making season-opening trip to Europe.

That makes one more cut a necessity, although coach Paul Maurice says the team may take as few as 24 depending on health. Teams are typically only allowed 23 during the regular season, but those headed overseas are granted a temporary exception.

Well it's final, Dalpe beats out Nash. Hopefully Nash takes this in stride. Ultimately it will depend on how they use Skinner and if he sticks past 9 games, as to Dalpe vs. Bowman for that other spot. Of course injuries play in as well.

If everyone is healthy, I think either Carson or Sanguinetti go down pre Europe. I'll guess Sanguinetti since they will want a more physical stay at home guy as the alternate, but this one is a toss up. This because I think I heard they will take 3 goalies to Europe.

Post Europe will depend on Boychuk and Bowman and how they use Skinner. And of course they will not cary 3 goalies past Finland. If Boychuk somehow starts showing something he has a shot, but I think Bowman will win this round.

My guess at this point is they send Sanguinetti down and possibly Boychuk and take everyone else to Europe. If Boychuk looks really good in the next game or two they take him, if not, they don't bother.

I really think that they are trying to find spots for Dalpe/Bowman/Skinner/OSullivan up front. If everyone is healthy though, they will not have room for all of them. So then it depends how they plan to use Skinner. If he's a center, Bowman stays. If' he's a winger, then Dalpe stays. They have been looking really hard at Bowman. I think they want to keep him, but would rather put Skinner on the wing. This all assumes Tlusty gets back into form quickly and Sammy also.

I will say this. We have too many NHL ready guys up front. Look at the depth chart. Nice problem to have, but it still keeps capable young guys from getting a shot. I mean poor Nash is looking up at Dalpe and Skinner, Sutter and Staal. I still think one of Cole or Sammy will be moved if possible unless they just break out. I really think a Sammy would be great on the fourth line, but Samson, not Samsonov.

Edited by remkin

I am happy Dalpe has stayed up thus far. He has been showing a lot of hustle out there and it is paying off. O'Sullivan has made the biggest impression thus far. Skinner well he is putting up points as expected so why not keep him up for a few games? Now as for Boychuck and Bowman I'm just not sure. I am disapointed to see Samson go down but oh well they know better than I do. If we are to get rid of anyone I would have to say get rid of Cole. He just has not been the same player since the neck injury. Samsonov at least has an offensive spark to him and is probably our best puck handler that we have. We need people on this team that can score goals.

Having depth is a good problem to have. What's everyones thoughts on Sang? I haven't seen much of him but he is still in the camp. Dwyer will need to be put on the 4th line with k-stop and whoever else. As for Jussi going to the 3rd line center I think it makes sense and could balance the scoring. But at the same time could this affect the teams overall scoring since our top 2 point producer will not be on the same line? Thoughts?

I think they take 8 defenseman, so likely no cuts there. Maurice has all ready said 3 goalies will make the trip. So, it likely comes down to forwards. IMO, if Boychuk is going to make the opening night roster, he needs to show something pretty quickly.

No one said the transition was easy. That's pretty much a no-brainer. The point is there is no need to put Skinner in the lineup for 82 NHL games if his play doesn't warrant it in the first nine games. Particulary this year.

I couldn't find any links to the accusations I was referring to, but I remember them distinctly when the team arrived in Carolina. Maybe I mis-spoke and the accusations were not true, I've been wrong before.

If Boychuk cracks the lineup, I would accuse JR myself of rushing players. Based upon last year's stint with the Canes, and what he has shown so far in camp and preseason, he's got some work to do, and needs to be in Charlotte. But, I'm not a huge Boychuk fan.

It was just a general statement about concerns with Skinner being rushed into the NHL - including the nine NHL games. I understand and agree with your point but I didn't insinuate that. Based on how JR handled all the young players last year, especially Brandon, I trust that his decision will be the correct one for Skinner and the Club, no matter which way it'll go.

I know it's still pre-season but I'm getting concerned about our overall team toughness, or lack thereof.

If they take 8 defenseman, which I guess makes sense, then I think Boychuk's days are numbered though it is possible that Tlusty stays home if the knee is not really ready. If he skipped the Minnesota games and that Ottawa game he would have 3 more weeks to recover.

Then again, he might need games to really see where he's at.

I do not like Jussi as the third line center. They guy put up 30 goals, most on the team and we put him on the third line? Sure it makes the third line look good, but at what cost?

What are people's thoughts on where Skinner will play. Seems that if he plays wing Dalpe might stay up. If he plays center, Bowman would stay up (or Boychuk if he puts on a sudden surge).

I think that a lot our guys are versatile enough to give Mo some additional options for temporary fixes. To tear up your most productive line just to fill a third line center spot doesn't make much sense though.

So if Jussi moves to third line center is Mo thinking about putting Sammy on the first line? Jokinen can play 3rd line center but can he score 30 goals there. i doubt it. Our depth chart (I know it is just a guess) has O'Sullivan on fourth line and Bowman on second. i think I would flip that.

IMO Bowman has made the team. They'll shuffle the injured (Tulsty, perhaps Sammy) and 3rd goalie for the trip, send Pogge down upon return from Europe. Skinner plays 9 and then goes to Jr (unless he shines). Boychuk will be odd man out (down).

I think we could see something like this:

O'Sullivan-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-Ruutu

Skinner-Jokinen-LaRose

Bowman-Dwyer-Kstop

Corvo-Gleason

Pitkanen-Babchuk

McBain-Harrison

Ward

Peters

While Dalpe has played above and beyond the other centers, I think its not enough to slot him at third line center. While I don't like it, you almost have to pull Jokinen down to center the third line. I expect ice time to be fairly evenly distributed between the top 3 lines, so this lineup evenly distributes talent with not much drop off through the top 9 forwards.

Of the hopefuls, I think Bowman has showed the most after Skinner and O'Sullivan, so I have him on my fourth line. I think Boychuk will make the trip.

Of the injured players, I have Samsonov recovering from the neck strain to play in the top 6. There's no need to rush Tlusty, so I think they work him into fourth line duties over the course of the first 10 games. He makes the trip.

Regardless of what has transpired on defense, I still think Mo likes Harrison's play. At least he hits somebody, which could push Sangs out of the top-6. Sangs and Carson round out the 8 defenseman making the trip.

Cam starts, backed up by Peters. Murphy makes the trip.

I don't see any way that Skinner plays center. They've already tried it and honestly, he looked out of place. He's already done better at wing, and that's where he's most likely to stay. The kid is a scorer, burying him at the center position for a 3rd or 4th line is a horrible idea. He needs to be on the wing of either Staal or Sutter on the top 2 lines, or back to juniors. Anything else is a waste of talent and time.

It was just a general statement about concerns with Skinner being rushed into the NHL - including the nine NHL games. I understand and agree with your point but I didn't insinuate that. Based on how JR handled all the young players last year, especially Brandon, I trust that his decision will be the correct one for Skinner and the Club, no matter which way it'll go.

I know it's still pre-season but I'm getting concerned about our overall team toughness, or lack thereof.

I can't see anything in JR's recent record with prospects to pick out anything he's rushed. You bring up a great point with Sutter. I still feel sure Skinner's play will determine his status, but if it's a close call let's hope they would consider another year in Kitchener.

As far as toughness, I could not agree more. It's concerned me for quite some time, going back a couple of seasons. We need to look after these young guys as they get time with the big club.

I guess I missed the deadline for the contest. That's what I get for waiting for the last minute.

But for what it's worth, which is now nothing, I give you:

Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu

O'Sullivan-Sutter-LaRose

Skinner-Dalpe-Cole

Sammy-Dwyer-Kosto

Gleason-Corvo

Pits-Babs

McBain-Harrison

Ward

Peters

Over time I see a lot of mixing and matching, and especially moving Sammy up.

I also see O'Sullivan moving to the top line. I just don't think they want to give it to him up front, he needs to earn it. To that effect I could see him on the third line to start.

I can also see McBain moving into the top 4 as the year goes on. And if Dalpe struggles Nash might get a shot.

I really think the Canes want to see Bowman up, but we already have a guy on the 4th line who does not fit there, and we still have Tlusty to work in. Given our absolute glut of wingers, we might have to put Jokinen at third line center, just to make room on the wings, to fit Tlusty and Sammy and even Bowman, that would work and it might happen for that reason, but I hate to do it, so I won't.

I do think that the very real potential of ending up on the 4th line or worse as the year progresses may work to keep guys hungry.

The one line I would really like to see is O'Sullivan-Staal-Jokinnen. I really think that line would seriously produce.

Edited by remkin

I can't see anything in JR's recent record with prospects to pick out anything he's rushed. You bring up a great point with Sutter. I still feel sure Skinner's play will determine his status, but if it's a close call let's hope they would consider another year in Kitchener.

As far as toughness, I could not agree more. It's concerned me for quite some time, going back a couple of seasons. We need to look after these young guys as they get time with the big club.

Agree. Other than losing a possible fan attraction, JR can't go wrong returning Skinner to the Jrs if he has any doubts. I think the contract signing and modest media hype is influencing some folks to think that JR has committed himself early but that's not really true. Because of Skinner's age, his contract can be deferred up to two more years as long as he doesn't play more than 9 NHL games a season. Plus it won't count against the CAP. The only thing Skinner gets is a pro-rated signing bonus over those three years and a chance to prove to JR that he can handle the NHL. The pressure is all on Skinner, not JR.

About team toughness, I think we can handle playing without Harrison or TKO for a couple of minutes agame but I'd hate to see Gleason ending up in the box every time someone takes liberties with one of our young players. Speed might help us out some but we don't have a feisty team perse' especially when we are under pressure. I'm also a little disappointed that we haven't tried to set the tone against Atlanta and Florida. We got out-hit early every game. I hope Ruutu and Cole are just holding back until the season starts.

I guess I missed the deadline for the contest. That's what I get for waiting for the last minute.

Sorry remkin. I know it was really short notice so we decided to extend the contest until noon tomorrow.

About team toughness, I think we can handle playing without Harrison or TKO for a couple of minutes agame but I'd hate to see Gleason ending up in the box every time someone takes liberties with one of our young players. Speed might help us out some but we don't have a feisty team perse' especially when we are under pressure. I'm also a little disappointed that we haven't tried to set the tone against Atlanta and Florida. We got out-hit early every game. I hope Ruutu and Cole are just holding back until the season starts.

The toughness question is interesting. True Cole and Ruutu can dish out some hits, but neither likes to drop the gloves. There is that issue of does a team need an enforcer? I completely agree that we don't need Gleason fighting every other night, and Forslund mentioned that this is what teams may try to do: goad Timmy into fights.

I guess this is one reason why Harrison is a near lock for last D-man. At least he can drop the gloves. Other than that we really don't have a lot of options. This has come up in the past when teams have tried to get overly physical and we brought up Brookbank and to a lesser extent Conboy. Do we have a passable intimidator on the Checkers?

I really expect to see fights at an all time low at the RBC center this year. Hopefully we don't end up having to go find a goon.

Edited by remkin

Sorry remkin. I know it was really short notice so we decided to extend the contest until noon tomorrow.

Oh, cool banana.gif. Now I have to decide if I want to stay with my picks....maybe I'll wait until just before noon...grin.gif

I think perhaps one of the biggest factors concerning whether or not Skinner will stay is the fact the he is too young play in Charlotte this year. I think coaching and management would like to see him play more against bigger and faster players which he would do in the AHL but they are not afforded with that luxury. I'm not really sure how much more he can prove or develop by continuing to play in Kitchener. If he looks lost in the first 10 NHL games this season then I'd send him back, but if he proves he can handle the size and speed of the game at this level - then it may be best to keep him here since there is no AHL option for him. I trust JR will make the best decision for his development.

Just my two cents on the matter! :)

So if Jussi moves to third line center is Mo thinking about putting Sammy on the first line? Jokinen can play 3rd line center but can he score 30 goals there. i doubt it. Our depth chart (I know it is just a guess) has O'Sullivan on fourth line and Bowman on second. i think I would flip that.

If Mo puts O'Sully on the 4th line, JR should really wonder about the coach's competence. :screwy:

Especially, not after his performance thus far.