The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

Training Camp 2010

the only way i see skinner going back to jrs. is to look like a deer in the headlights. its been said before that there isn't very much for him to do down there. better to train up with higher caliber competition than plod along with the some old that he tore up last year. someone said that he could go back and condition, but i say why go back to condition when you can do it here with better circumstances. the only thing that i see that would be better is the world juniors. thats it. and that would just be icing on the cake. nothing more. barring a meltdown, skinner will stick.

I'm not giving up on Boychuk, but his stock slid for me. I also really hope he can find it and light the lamp over and over in Charlotte. I've seen things from him, but it just needs to be more consistent, and it was not this preseason. That canceled Florida game was the last gasp chance for him for the preseason. There are a lot of situations where he will get another shot at the Canes during the year, though it is still possible that Bowman gets sent back after the big trip, in which case Bowman would be the first man back up at this point.

I think Skinner will stick for the whole year, but it is not definite. He needs to create actual offense over the next 11 games. We have Bowman, and others literally waiting in the wings if he can't get it done. If he is creating scoring chances for himself and others, he will stick. I don't think the team carries him just for development. I think he will create though. I know it was Juniors, but 70 goals. Come on, they didn't jump into the net themselves.

Edited by remkin

While I've never completely suscribed to the "he has nothing left to prove in Juniors" justification for Skinner staying on the roster for 82 games, it's looking more and more like he could be one of those 18-year olds that is ready. I continue to hope his play dicates the decision to keep him on the roster.

For me, the pleasant surprise in camp has been Bowman. He's just come in and taken his spot. Dalpe's there as well, and I fully expect he will push Jokinen off that third line and back to where he belongs at some point.

I've said it before, Boychuk may never figure out the NHL game. I hope he can find it, but I think it's going to take some time. He may not have that with the Canes.

I've said it before, Boychuk may never figure out the NHL game. I hope he can find it, but I think it's going to take some time. He may not have that with the Canes.

i remember the first time i saw him play, and not knowing he was highly touted, i asked my wife what they were doing with that scrub on the ice. i do not dislike him, i just don't think that he belongs on the roster of a nhl club, except as a call up because of an injury or something along those lines. maybe its as you said, and he needs to grow up a bit, but not here. we have to many prospects waiting in the wings for us to babysit him. trade him for something we need, like a d-man that can throw a hit. please.

So developing players is now babysitting? anyway, Im not sure that a lack of preperation was necessarily the cause for him getting sent down, I'm pretty sure I saw that Mo or JR said that he and Corvo were the two fittest guys coming into camp, I just think he didnt do anything more than what they had seen before and the other two guys had made a big improvement. No reason to think that Boychuk won't make it in the NHL some guys just take longer to develop than others, let's hope that this is the case.

Boychuk I'm not concerned about. He was the obvious choice for now and I'm sure he'll get more chances during the season. Now I'm curious how much of our youth movement will remain after they get back from Europe. Chip expects our roster to be trimmed down to 21 guys which would mean three more players would have to be reassigned and/or waived in addition to a goalie. I wonder who'll be caught up in the numbers game next.

Boychuk I'm not concerned about. He was the obvious choice for now and I'm sure he'll get more chances during the season. Now I'm curious how much of our youth movement will remain after they get back from Europe. Chip expects our roster to be trimmed down to 21 guys which would mean three more players would have to be reassigned and/or waived in addition to a goalie. I wonder who'll be caught up in the numbers game next.

Yeah, the thing is with Cole and Sammy and O'Sullivan, there is less room for guys from our farm system. I would think Bowman was the most impressive guy of those around last year, and he might not even crack the 21 player roster.

Of course O'Sullivan is pretty young and Skinner's emergence is part of it, but for those guys waiting in the wings from last year, most of them will not get a shot until injury, trade, or subpar play show up.