The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Information

Good game! Checkers are up tempo and always looking to attack.

Shame with the Admirals. To go from Calder Cup Champions and best team in the AHL last season to near the bottom of the league this season.

That's the big downside to minor league sports, while it happens with professional teams as well, minor league teams are victim to this more often then not, as they do good, the good players move on, then the team stinks for a year or two again while they build up again.

Thought the checkers looked a little behind the 8-ball in the first period, but were much stronger from then on. Dalpe stood out, he was strong and fast the entire game. Boychuk had several opportunities, but no finish.

I looked back at Andersen on the season and sadly (to me) the kid sports a .924 SV%. I think the Admirals just suck he might actually have an NHL shot at some point.

Their other goalie was like a .890 SV%

I was really looking forward to seeing how big he looked in his gear, not having ever seen him in person. He didn't disappoint. Still sucks he changed agents and his attitude about competing for a spot in an organization.

What a fun game to be at! Aside from my moment of fame on the crowd camera as I was drinking my beer and didn't even realize I was on camera it was a great game!

Were you the guy they caught looking into the bottom of his cup? :D

Good game! Checkers are up tempo and always looking to attack.

Shame with the Admirals. To go from Calder Cup Champions and best team in the AHL last season to near the bottom of the league this season.

its not the same team. The Calder Cup Admirals are now the Syracuse Crunch. Tampa Bay moved them over the summer. This version of the Admirals is the Anaheim Ducks affiliate. Oddly enough they were the Crunch last season. Norfolk fans are not so happy with the turn of events but that is AHL hockey.

Do I win a bobblehead? :ohyeah:

You win a Tomas Kaberle bobblehe....oh wait a minute.....

I wonder who the bobbleheads will be this year.

$100 says Jordan Staal is one :grin:

No, because those ladies in a sweatshop in China carved off all the fat under the chin.....and behold......they were Jamie McBain.

I'll gladly have one of those, thank you please.

My $100 is on Tlusty. :hockey:

So while I'm fixated on third line center, and JR is out there looking for grit, one interesting remaining question is this:

Who is our backup Goalie?

Jason Shaya, the Checkers broadcaster, wrote this on the Checkers website:

"I have a hard time believing that the Canes will use Brian Boucher as the backup goalie to Cam Ward, even if he is healthy. That means Justin Peters or Dan Ellis will become the backup to Ward in about a week. Should the Canes pick Peters over Ellis, I would expect Ellis to get signed immediately to another NHL team. Who wouldn’t want an experienced and game \-ready stellar goaltender? Theoretically, the Checkers could have to find two goalies to finish the season."

It surely makes sense to use a game ready goalie.

Early in the year Ellis had statistically superior numbers to Peters. But now they're just about even. however it seems to be Peter's raising his game rather than Ellis dropping his game. Not calling Ellis up could cost us a chance at his services.

Shaya also mentioned that he felt Dalpe had distinguished himself as the best call up. However, he did not mention him playing center.

So I have retitled this thread for consideration of which Checkers people would like to see.

Edited by remkin

On the forwards:

I'm not sure what the whole Dalpe away from center thing was about. But I'd like to see at least two of these guys up here. Not only has Dalpe been on fire, but the kid is +11, by far best on the team.

Got a say statistically Boychuk is the best. He has 10 more points than Bowman with one more goal and double the assists and he is a +6. I think I give Boychuk his last shot.

Then go get some grit for the 4th line.

Edited by remkin

Jason Shaya, the Checkers broadcaster, wrote this on the Checkers website:

"I have a hard time believing that the Canes will use Brian Boucher as the backup goalie to Cam Ward, even if he is healthy. That means Justin Peters or Dan Ellis will become the backup to Ward in about a week. Should the Canes pick Peters over Ellis, I would expect Ellis to get signed immediately to another NHL team. Who wouldn’t want an experienced and game \-ready stellar goaltender? Theoretically, the Checkers could have to find two goalies to finish the season."

The one thought I would have regarding this is that it is coming from the checkers broadcaster and would naturally(I am assuming anyways) favor the players on the checkers over others. While the AHL goalies have a leg up in terms of being ready, Wardo will probably play the brunt of the games anyways and any backup we have will probably get rusty by the time its their turn to lace up. Especially in a short season there won't be as much concern about the number of games played by ward and the backup, in 48 games they might get 4-5 games max. Do you sit Peters down for 3 months to ride the pine or do you go with a veteran goalie and continue to give the kid ice time? Its a tough situation that is one we are not use to being in. Probably the most competitive spot open in camp. Speaking of which I wonder what John Grahame is doing...

Just finally had to see what Ichigo put on here.

Edit: okay now I see. A few days later but oddly apropos.

Mueller was just asked on XM about backup goalie. His answer was that they would basically fight it out amongst the three of them during training camp. which is fine, except that training camp is only five days long with no games.

If there is any interest in Boucher, even for a tough guy in return, would seem like now's the time to trade him.

If it came down to Ellis or Peters, I'd go with Ellis. This guy went an entire NHL season with the best GAA of all goalies that year. He's played well in Charlotte, and we'll probably lose him if we don't give him a shot.

Edited by remkin

I think the Checkers got the memo 7-0 over Oklahoma City

CHA: Z. Boychuk (00:27 1st) , C. Terry (19:48 1st) , Z. Dalpe (05:10 2nd) , J. Welsh (08:23 2nd) , S. Dolan (13:02 2nd) , B. Sanguinetti (04:01 3rd) , T. Wallace (08:38 3rd)

Peters gets the shutout and win making 24 saves

Barons have already recalled their NHL'ers we only recalled Faulk it wasn't going to be a good game from the start.

Even so look at the Chex that scored. You think they aren't pumped and making a case for themselves?

Even so look at the Chex that scored. You think they aren't pumped and making a case for themselves?

I hear ya, just saying it wasn't the same talented Barons they were last week.

I hear ya, just saying it wasn't the same talented Barons they were last week.

Fair enough. The real test starts Sunday.

Fair enough. The real test starts Sunday.

;) All bets are off in a few days

I for one would be estatic if even one of our stalling prospects would shine through this year.