The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Information

I hope to be able to provide positive news also after getting to see the Checkers play in Norfolk next Wednesday. Next week is hockey week for me: Tuesday to Raleigh, Wednesday to Norfolk, Thursday to Raleigh, & Friday to my recliner and TV!

(I haven't checked NBCSN yet but they'll likely have a game on Monday too - hopefully...)

PETERS, JORDAN SELECTED TO ALL-STAR CLASSIC

Joining coach Jeff Daniels on the Western Conference team in Providence on Jan. 27-28 will be defenseman Michal Jordan and goalie Justin Peters. Jordan, 22, will be making his first appearance at the event, while Peters, 26, represented the Canadian team while playing for Albany in 2009-10

I have moved the tell us about our Checkers topic to this one. A Good place to post Chex stuff.

The Chex lose for the first time in 2013

GRIFFINS SNAP CHECKERS' STREAK

the team’s franchise-record, six-game win streak came to an end after a 5-3 loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins on Thursday

I haven't made it to a game yet this season but I've been following the boys (thanks to the awesome TuneIn app that lets me listen to games on my phone) and they are doing really well this year, I hope this continues and maybe we can make a nice playoff run. So far it seems like losing the Canes call-ups hasn't hurt them one bit, so I hope that continues. I'm looking forward to see how Sanguinetti, Boychuk, Welsh and Ellis figure in to the Canes lineup.

The Checkers beat Norfolk gocheckers.com

Five different players had multi-point games, including a career-high three by recent addition Luke Pither, as the Checkers broke through for a 6-1 win over the Norfolk

Checkers lost 6-2 to the Admirals - and a bit more:

Dalpe had a goal and an assist in his first game since the Carolina Hurricanes reassigned him to Charlotte earlier in the day, but left the game in the second period with an apparent lower-body injury and did not return. Andreas Nodl, another player suiting up for his first game with the Checkers after an NHL stint, suffered the same fate after taking a hard hit along the boards in period three.

The Checkers now have eight players on their roster that started the season in the ECHL.

Sutter, who the AHL suspended for one game for checking to the head, will be eligible to return for the first of back-to-back home games against the Oklahoma City Barons on Sunday. However, with the way the team’s captain has been playing lately (eight points in his last four games), even one game is a big deal.

Needing to add two more forwards from the lower leagues, the Checkers decided not to mess around.

Dealing with more injuries from over the weekend, the team signed ECHL All-Stars Casey Pierro-Zabotel and C.J. Severyn to professional tryout contracts on Tuesday. Pierro-Zabotel, a 24-year-old center, leads the entire league in scoring with 74 points (21g, 53) in 65 games with the Gwinnett Gladiators, while Severyn, 23, has 41 points (21g, 20a) and 100 penalty minutes in 59 contests with the Orlando Solar Bears.
Both players are expected to join the Checkers for Wednesday’s home game against Norfolk, rounding out the team’s lineup at forward after two centers – Sean Dolan and Luke Pither – suffered injuries over the weekend. Charlotte will still need to add a defenseman after losing Marc-Andre Gragnani and Michal Jordan in its last two games.

Pierro-Zabotel and Severyn, teammates on the ECHL squad that defeated the host Colorado All-Stars 7-3 in January, are former NHL draft picks. Their additions bring the total number of players on Charlotte’s roster that started the season in the ECHL up to 13, with a total of nine players out due to injury and a handful of others playing in the NHL with Carolina.

Pierro-Zabotel, who the Pittsburgh Penguins drafted in the third round (80th overall) in 2007, has exactly 30 more points than Gwinnett’s next-highest scorer while also leading the team in goals, assists and plus/minus (+19). The 6-foot-2, 202-pound native of Ashcroft, British Columbia, has already established professional career highs in each category.

Pierro-Zabotel has played nine career AHL games, all with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton during his rookie season in 2009-10, recording one assist. In his second season of junior hockey with the WHL’s Vancouver Giants in 2008-09, he led the league in scoring and set team records for most assists (79) and points (115) in a single season while playing alongside current Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane.

Severyn, the Calgary Flames’ seventh-round pick (186th overall) in 2007, has yet to make his AHL debut. The former Ohio State product, who played alongside the Checkers’ Zac Dalpe while with the Buckeyes, is in his second professional season, with the first spent entirely at the ECHL level with the Utah Grizzlies.

Severyn, a product of the US National Team Development Program, is enjoying something of an offensive breakout this season, having not previously scored more than 15 points in his five previous seasons in college and as a pro. The native of Beaver, PA, began this season with six points in first 21 games but has 36 in his last 38. He now ranks second on the team in goals and points while ranking third in assists and penalty minutes.

Pierro-Zabotel, whose entry-level deal with the Penguins expired this past summer, would become the third member of the 2007 draft’s third round to play for the Checkers, joining Evgenii Dadonov (71st overall to Florida) and Drayson Bowman (72nd overall to Carolina).

Severyn, who did not sign an entry-level contract with Calgary after graduating from Ohio State, is the second Pennsylvania native on the current roster, joining Pittsburgh’s Rob Madore.

Norfolk vs. Checkers 1-1 after the 2nd.

After just 5 shifts Biega had his head down and got rocked in his first Checkers game and has not returned. Casey Pierro-Zabotel gets an assist in his first Checker's game and Daniels only has 5 forwards for the rest of the game. 

3-2 Norfolk in the second. third.These two teams really don't like each other.

Paul Branecky @PaulBranecky

Norfolk's Mat Clark, who injured both Dalpe and Nodl during March 1 game, gets Marshall with a late hit. Something to watch moving forward

Paul Branecky @PaulBranecky

Norfolk's Mat Clark, who injured both Dalpe and Nodl during March 1 game, gets Marshall with a late hit. Something to watch moving forward

Before the next Admirals' game, coach Daniels ought to sign some "Hanson Brothers", an "Ogie Oglethorpe" or "Screaming 'Buffalo' Swamptown" - type player if for no other reason than to put this Mat Clark dude into his place.

Problem is, it looks like they are already playing for Norfolk.

This seasons version of the Norfolk Admirals are perhaps the most unlikeable AHL team I have ever seen.

The story says he hasn't signed yet and no official announcement has been made but he is practicing with the Chex. I think it is only a matter of time before he signs. Hey Muph, don't take any wooden Rubles.

Chex beat Stars 4-2

CHECKERS TOP AHL-LEADING STARS ON ROAD

Paul's Game Tweets

Paul Branecky @PaulBranecky 14h

Nash and Boychuk each score in first game back. Knew they had been missed, but really becoming clear now

Paul Branecky @PaulBranecky 13h

Unbelievable first start for Rob Madore

Nash now has 22 points in his last 18 AHL games. This was his second consecutive multi-goal game and third consecutive multi-point game

Boychuk's goal held up as his sixth game-winner of season, which is t-3rd AHL. Checkers also have league leader in Terry (8)

Madore's 43 saves (another update) are most for Checkers since Mike Murphy made 44 on Oct. 23, 2011

Paul Branecky @PaulBranecky 14h

Don't know what Canes plans are for Nash moving forward, but he's been an NHL player tonight. Two goals, seven shots

Just curious why we haven't called Murph back up yet...with the injury bug now riddling Raleigh

I guess you're referring to Ryan. Seems like the 'Canes only had one shot at that because of the lock-out.

NHL CAN RECALL JUNIOR PROSPECTS IF LOCKOUT ENDS September 26, 2012 8:27 AM

I

f or when the NHL lockout ends, some of its teams will have a chance to bring back a prearranged number of Major Junior players for their rosters.

As reported by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie on Twitter, NHL teams had to submit a list last month of no more than two or three drafted Major Junior players they would like to recall if the work stoppage ends and a shortened season gets under way.

One would question though whether or not this type of action or list would be something that should be included in the new Collective Bargaining agreement, and shouldnt the Major Junior Leagues have a say in this as well?

As it stands now, according to the NHL, these players could be recalled to tryout for their respective NHL teams and then normal rules would apply for keeping them or sending them back to junior. 

So why couldn't they send him down to Charlotte instead of Kitchner?

He is only 19 and North American players can't play in the AHL until they are 20 (except college players) under an agreement between the CHL and AHL. After the Kitchener Rangers playoffs are over he could go to Charlotte this season or the Canes. Next year he is AHL eligible or could make the leap to the Canes.

Checkers News

Coach Jeff Daniels confirmed Friday morning that forward Zac Dalpe and defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani will return from injury and play against the San Antonio Rampage

Muse is headed back down to Charlotte which puts Daniels in a bind goalie wise (in a good way).  Madore has been playing lights out, I think he has at least 2 shutouts, I know he got one two nights ago.  Murphy is on a pro tryout with presumable a couple games left but there's only a couple games left in the season (which is why I think they went with the PTO).  Muse is coming back down after a good rest and practice with the Canes (He didn't play did he?)  Should be interesting to see how it shakes out. Can they keep all three on the books for the playoff push? Or are you forced to send Madore back down.