The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Information

The Checkers beat the Iowa Wild 7-0 yesterday, which put them back in a playoff spot. The Wild were frustrated, so you can imagine how that went. Or you could watch here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/iowa-charlotte-ahl-brawl-sees-230-pims-third-221711504--nhl.html?soc_src=copy

Boychuk had 5 points, including two goals. The PA kept giving him a third goal, but he never got the hat trick. Well, he was credited with a fight (such as it was, see video above), so he did get a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

Lots of records broken (not all related to penalty minutes). Many more details here:
http://www.gocheckers.com/game-recaps/662-wild-rout-puts-checkers-in-playoff-position.html

Terry and Boychuk are leading the way for Charlotte.

Both are ranked in the TOP 10 in the AHL.

Terry # 4 in points(65); #7 in goals(27); #9 in assists(38)

Boychuk #5 in points (64); #2 in goals (31); has 33 assists

Would be nice to see these two players with the Canes in a roll other than fill in at the 3rd or 4th line.

Edited by hopper915

Looks like Milwaukee is about to stick a fork in the Checkers' season.

With two games remaining, two points out of 8th place, they are trailing Milwaukee 3-0 while the 8th place Barons are up 2-0 on the Wild.

Checkers Reach Tentative Agreement to Return to Bojangles' Coliseum

The Charlotte Checkers announced today that they have reached a tentative agreement with the Charlotte Regional Visitors' Authority to return to Bojangles' Coliseum beginning with the 2015-16 season.

The Checkers' history at Bojangles' Coliseum dates back to Charlotte's first professional hockey game in 1956. The team occupied the facility at various points between then and 2005

Everything seems to depend on city finding -Although we are confident that the proposal makes sense for all parties, if the funding is not approved by the City Council, we as an organization would need to revisit all of our options.

I think the Checkers are going to regret this move in the long run. Bojangles Coliseum is in a "dicey" part of town. I've been there for graduations the past 3 years and it's been the same small cramped place it was since it last underwent renovations in the early 90's. It's going to need a lot more than $16 million (the number I read it will cost to "spruce it up"). The concourse is narrow and not pedestrian friendly at all. The location is "dicey", and there's no public transportation to the building.

I fear I'm going to see a headline along the lines of "Checkers finically struggling, will relocate" in the future.

I fear I'm going to see a headline along the lines of "Checkers finically struggling, will relocate" in the future.

Of course that will happen.  They will relocate to PNC at Raleigh and be called the "Lucky J's" as an AHL farm team of the Las Vegas Jackpots.

... At least that is what people are implying on other threads....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcXUu61EVcQ

Tirronen was thrown into his first AHL action against a dynamic Rockford team that has a lot riding on this last stretch of the season. But despite the worthy opponent, the native of Finland buckled down and put his team in a position to win.

In front of Tirronen was a defensive corps just as inexperienced as he. Of the six defensemen in Charlotte’s lineup, five were rookies, while three of them were within the first five games of their pro careers. Thrown out there against a formidable Rockford team, the young group held their own.

With the clock winding down, Brock McGinn emerged as the hero, collecting a rebound to the right of the goal and roofing it for the game winner. The victory closed the book on Time Warner Cable Arena, as the Checkers will begin playing at Bojangles’ Coliseum beginning next season.

I think the Checkers are going to regret this move in the long run. Bojangles Coliseum is in a "dicey" part of town. I've been there for graduations the past 3 years and it's been the same small cramped place it was since it last underwent renovations in the early 90's. It's going to need a lot more than $16 million (the number I read it will cost to "spruce it up"). The concourse is narrow and not pedestrian friendly at all. The location is "dicey", and there's no public transportation to the building.

You're spot on.  Prior to their move to TWC, I saw a few ECHL Checkers games in Bojangles. I had a mini-pack with the Canes, but when the Checkers announced the move to the AHL, I immediately bought full STs and have been a STH ever since. This was my last year, given the move to the Chicken Coop.  I will admit, I was spoiled because I work right next to TWC and sit in the Royal Box area with my family, so the move to Bojangles created not only inconvenience, but a huge step down in ammenities.  The TWC is a professional sports arena and Bojangles is an ECHL dump. There's no place convenient to eat around there prior to games, not to mention (as you did) security is an issue in that bad part of town.  Facing a budget shortfall of $22MM, the Charlotte City council voted last night to spend the $1MM to replace the seats in the arena, but if they need to vote on each dispersement of $16MM, there is some risk that the other $15MM won't be spent to upgrade the place.  (Albeit, this is a "tax and spend" City Council.)

The Checkers tell you that the reason they're moving is financial (much cheaper lease) and it removes Hornets/concert scheduling conflicts, both of which are true, but the spin to fans that this move is going to improve the game experience is comical.  Capacity will drop from 10.1k to 8.7k so yeah, it will seem as though the place is more packed, but when you consider the remote location away from the bars, restaurants, and employment of fans, the overall attendance is sure to drop considerably.  I don't want the Checkers to fold. I love the Checkers but if they are struggling financially to the point that they need to move to this dump, I certainly fear for their long-term survival.  As a STH, I've seen ST benefits erode considerably over the years.

Edited by Charlotte_Caniac

There is some nice stuff being posted by Paul Branecky and Nicholas Niedzielski over at gocheckers.com on individual players and on the teams forwards,d-men and goalies called Positional Primer. You can find them in the Checkers News section here .

LaRose - “It was great for me here, to be honest with you,” said LaRose. “Playing with a very youthful team, I found passion for the sport again. I liked coming to the rink every day and that was my main goal, to try to find that childhood love again. I did that here. “I’m back into it. I’m going to be playing hockey for quite a few more years.”

MacIntyre -“I love the city, I love the organization and I’d love to be back, but if we have one of the youngest teams again, then no, I’m not interested.”

Holmstrom - As for the potential of helping a young team take the next step next season, Holmstrom’s future remains up in the air until the team makes a decision on trying to bring him back or letting him depart via free agency

Primer: Defensemen -Under contract for the Checkers are four of their top defensemen from last year. Danny Biega and Keegan Lowe took on veteran roles last season despite being early in their career and will look to build off that, while Trevor Carrick emerged as arguably the most talented of the group and Dennis Robertson showed incredible strides

Primer: Forwards - The Checkers’ group of forwards could have a very different look to it heading into next season, with several key pieces looming as free agents.

Primer: Goalies - the Checkers enter the summer without a clear picture of who they’ll have in net next season.

Zach Boychuk Faces Offseason Of Decisions by Nicholas Niedzielski

Boychuk’s impressive numbers at the AHL level have given him several options to contemplate, but he has made his main goal of sticking in the NHL next season very clear.

Another option for the 25-year-old is making the jump overseas.

More Player Decision for the Chex

Greg Nemisz  by Nicholas Niedzielski

Now, the organization will face the same dilemma as last offseason: do you bring back a player that you have only seen in 35 games over the last two seasons, although he was lights out when he was healthy? It’s a complex decision to make, and that fact is not lost on Nemisz.

Kyle Hagel by Paul Branecky

“I would absolutely love to come back and I expressed that in my meetings,” said Hagel, referring to his postseason talks with Checkers coaches and Hurricanes management.

IMO what we do in Charlotte is just as important as what we do in Raleigh. It appears to me  with the change in coaching we are trying to change and set the culture at the AHL level. If it works out we should produce players who are ready to step up to the big club in the future. Who Francis and company decided to keep at the AHL level will set a tone for the organization as we move forward. We have some promising players that should be ready to move up to the AHL this season. I'm hoping the days of skate and pray are giving way to skate and develop.

Good stuff OBXer.

We should keep every undersized player if possible.  If not, then we should make room for some more midgets.

Oh, and I should mention that I AM NO EXPERT. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Good stuff OBXer.

We should keep every undersized player if possible.  If not, then we should make room for some more midgets.

Oh, and I should mention that I AM NO EXPERT. 

:)  If Sergey Tolchinsky skates in Charlotte next season it should allow us to sign some bigger players without skewing our small team average very much!

I'm no expert either but I'm very interested to see who Francis keeps and who he lets walk at the AHL level. Rebuilding,restocking starts in Charlotte.

Thx for picking up on the ...sarcasm....

Hope we can keep this thread going, and I agree, it's been a while since anything was shaken up down in Albany-Charlotte.

Lot's to talk about going forward. 

I'm really interested in what type of coach is hired.

Boychuk is set to become a restricted free agent, which gives the Hurricanes the first opportunity to sign him to another contract. The sixth-year pro spent a career high 31 games with Carolina this season, but struggled to be a consistent force in the lineup, getting reassigned to Charlotte in January.

Boychuk played 31 games for the Canes this year?  Wow, hard to believe a guy could be here this long, and I barely remember him on the ice.  Must be why he ended up back in Charlotte with the Lollipop Guild.

Yeah, the Checkers situation will be interesting. RF is going to need to find the right balance between the best interests of the Canes and the best interests of the Checkers. My default is to think about it from a Canes perspective; I have to remind myself that a "healthy" Checkers organization in Charlotte needs to be competitive in and of itself.  As an example, I've got to believe that Drew McIntyre was signed primarily as the Checkers goalie. Sure, he was the emergency call-up if something happened to Ward or Dobby, but he certainly wasn't being groomed as a future Canes regular. 

Keeping that in mind, I'm going to hazard a guess that we'll offer Boychuk a regular 2-way contract, not the enhanced 6 figure AHL contract he and Terry got past season. And that he will likely be able to make more money playing overseas.      

Sorry to be reading about the El Cheapo route that our AHL team seems to be taking, Surely sounds like this undermines any strides the parent club seems to be striving for. It sure seems to me, that if Canes want a quality organization, they should start with the AHL club and work outward?

El-cheapo?

Giving NHL fringe guys like Boychuk and Terry 300K in case they don't make it on the big club isn't exactly peanuts in the AHL.  Personally, I think the org rewarded both for being long-time "soldiers" and threw them a contract "bone" in an evaluation year.  I'd be surprised if either was resigned.

And Ron Francis just fired Daniels, so not sure how that undermines an organizational rebuild.  There are a lot of contracts to make decisions on in Charlotte, and this team could look much different going forward. 

Charlotte was last to see the axe fall, but it's falling. Great to see.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think we will see some significant changes in Charlotte next season. There are several players that could move into the organization and a few that likely will not be back. I'm optimistic that the coaching change is a signal that the culture change talked about isn't just for the big club but the entire organization.