The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Information

I don't see the venue move as being an el-cheapo move.  I haven't seen a game there, but I have read that it isn't really set up for hockey to begin with.  It is a huge arena for minor league hockey and they were always going to have scheduling issues with the Hornets.

Yeah, the Checkers situation will be interesting. RF is going to need to find the right balance between the best interests of the Canes and the best interests of the Checkers. My default is to think about it from a Canes perspective; I have to remind myself that a "healthy" Checkers organization in Charlotte needs to be competitive in and of itself.  As an example, I've got to believe that Drew McIntyre was signed primarily as the Checkers goalie. Sure, he was the emergency call-up if something happened to Ward or Dobby, but he certainly wasn't being groomed as a future Canes regular. 

Keeping that in mind, I'm going to hazard a guess that we'll offer Boychuk a regular 2-way contract, not the enhanced 6 figure AHL contract he and Terry got past season. And that he will likely be able to make more money playing overseas.      

Someone posted this link in another thread (sorry, too lazy to look up who).  http://ihockey.blogspot.com/2015/04/reactions-jeff-daniels-out-as-charlotte.html 

What I found very interesting was a comment after the article. Sounds like the commentator follows the Checkers some. An excerpt:

"The real problem is that for years the Canes have under-invested in scouting, resulting in marginal talent for the AHL team with "edge" NHL talent held to high expectations (e.g. Zac Dalpe). No one who has left the Canes after playing for the Checkers has done significantly better. This year, as Paul Branecky mentioned, the Checkers fielded a team of hard-working 3rd and 4th liners--on pretty much every line.

Furthermore, as Drew McIntyre brought up, the Checkers/Canes org has been content to invest limited resources in more seasoned AHL players, that could increase talent level, serve as role models for the younger players, and create a more competitive team."

---------------

Note: McIntyre was asked if he wanted to come back to Charlotte and he said something along the lines that he really liked the city but wouldn't come back if the team was going to be as young (non-competitive implied) as it was this past season.

On the one hand, articles such as the one above and the one linked below give me a nice feeling about our prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/123105/carolina-hurricanes-prospects-show-promise-despite-frustrating-season/

On the other hand, I can't help but taking them with a grain of salt; they feel like they're more geared to "firing up the base" than objective reporting/ commentating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi2w1gMczTA

Edited by LakeLivin

So coastal and sd_1, just getting back to this thread and my comment "El Cheapo" which was mildly taken to task in your follow up posts. That term I used was intended to convey my thoughts on their facility only, and I don't qualify as an expert on the Charlotte area by any means, so let me make that clear. However by perusing through several posts, which I took to be written by fans IN THE AREA, I sensed that the facility move, in terms of both the sleezyness of the neighborhood and the general in house amenities(seating, arrangement, etc), was being seen as a real step down.

Now, I'm certainly not debating the salaries brought up as perceived "over payment", countering my contention of "EL CHEAPO", but in my eyes, giving a team of impressionable "kids", a crappy facility in an equally crappy part of town, if the comments I've read are accurate, surely doesn't say much about how an organization takes care of its hopefuls? Thus, "El Cheapo" route.

Equally concerning to my eyes is the increasing "disconnect" that permeates the relationship between the Canes and the Checkers, or perhaps its just me, because, I had no idea even how that team was doing throughout most of the year. Granted with the agonizing way this past season played out for us at the PNC, my detachment from all hockey was palpable, but still, it would at least have offered some consolation had I been able to pull for our AHL team.

With a new coach and a bevy of new, and hopefully improved players, perhaps these things will change, but the point I'm trying to make, is, in analogy to the way "to build a team, from the goalie on out", to me the way to build an organization is from the youth on out. Ergo, when your youth appear to be an afterthought, and you relocate them in a borderline sordid area, in a smaller arena primarily designed for an ECHL team, how does that instill loyalty to an organization?

On the one hand, articles such as the one above and the one linked below give me a nice feeling about our prospects.

On the other hand, I can't help but taking them with a grain of salt; they feel like they're more geared to "firing up the base" than objective reporting/ commentating.

You have a point. There is no doubt the articles I'm posting from Nicholas Niedzielski and Paul Branecky  work for the Checkers but if you read them carefully you get the impression of players likely to stay and those who have a less than certain future in Charlotte. I find them informative and in the absence of other sources sometimes revealing.

I liked reading Branecky when he did media for the Canes and happy to be able to read his stuff from Charlotte. 

I do miss some of our board members who posted from our AHL teams. They were able to give us insight into games they attended.

You have a point. There is no doubt the articles I'm posting from Nicholas Niedzielski and Paul Branecky  work for the Checkers but if you read them carefully you get the impression of players likely to stay and those who have a less than certain future in Charlotte. I find them informative and in the absence of other sources sometimes revealing.

I liked reading Branecky when he did media for the Canes and happy to be able to read his stuff from Charlotte. 

I do miss some of our board members who posted from our AHL teams. They were able to give us insight into games they attended.

The one that really raised flags for me was the one by Lavalette that I linked.  It kind of reminded me of a soccer team of 8 year olds: everybody gets an award!! :lol: But I didn't want to say anything when it was first linked because that was in "The Positive Thread". Not the place to be a buzzkill. :nonono:

Yeah, it would be great to get knowledgeable, firsthand info from some Checkers fans.  I'd love a realistic outlook for some of our brighter prospects. 

The one that really raised flags for me was the one by Lavalette that I linked.  It kind of reminded me of a soccer team of 8 year olds: everybody gets an award!! :lol: But I didn't want to say anything when it was first linked because that was in "The Positive Thread". Not the place to be a buzzkill. :nonono:

Yeah, it would be great to get knowledgeable, firsthand info from some Checkers fans.  I'd love a realistic outlook for some of our brighter prospects. 

The soccer team reference made me smile. I ignore most of those pat on the back awards.

The latest on our Chex prospects

Danny Biega Gains Confidence by Paul Branecky

“It’s crazy,” said Biega, 23. “I feel like I’m one of the old guys on the team it was only my second year.”

I'm beginning to get a feel for the prospects. It looks like we might have some depth at the blue line but I'm also taking away just how depleted our depth was the last few season.

John Muse  by Nicholas Niedzielski

Muse will now enter another offseason of uncertainty as to where he will play next season. He entered the league undrafted in 2011 after leading Boston College to two National Championships and split his first three pro campaigns between the AHL and ECHL. Now, with a full AHL season under his belt and confidence to boot, Muse will aim to achieve that goal, wherever it may be.

Another goalie decision for the organization.  I wonder with MacIntyre saying he doesn't want to babysit a young team if Muse will be signed again.

Dennis Robertson Among Most Improved - by Paul Branecky

After playing just seven of the Checkers’ first 22 games, he played 50 of the next 54, including each of the last 27, and appeared to be a different player by season’s end.

We do have some promising Dmen in our systems but who knows if and when they will pan out. Yet I'm getting a feel we are slowly building up our stock.

John Muse  by Nicholas Niedzielski

Another goalie decision for the organization.  I wonder with MacIntyre saying he doesn't want to babysit a young team if Muse will be signed again.

Right now we have Rasmus Tirronen, Ned, and Altshuller under contract for next season.  Muse's stats are a hair better than MacIntyre's, so the question is who the Organization thinks will be best at holding down the fort in Charlotte while the other 3 develop(and who would be best to ride the bench in Raleigh if we swing an in season goalie trade),

Right now we have Rasmus Tirronen, Ned, and Altshuller under contract for next season.  Muse's stats are a hair better than MacIntyre's, so the question is who the Organization thinks will be best at holding down the fort in Charlotte while the other 3 develop(and who would be best to ride the bench in Raleigh if we swing an in season goalie trade),

It is going to be interesting to see who we let walk and who we offer contracts to. I'm expecting some significant changes on the Chex. First up naming a new coach.

I wish we had some unbiased info on our Chex prospects.  Almost every article posted seems more like a home team PR effort to pump up the fan base than an honest assessment, so I don't know what to make of them.   :unsure:

I wish we had some unbiased info on our Chex prospects.  Almost every article posted seems more like a home team PR effort to pump up the fan base than an honest assessment, so I don't know what to make of them.   :unsure:

They are written by the Checkers media department so I don't think you will get a really bad review but if you read them carefully you can see that there are lingering questions about some of the players. Some aren't coming back. It's also the only game in town. I don't see any independent media covering the Chex in the off-season. 

I am getting a general feel for the team and the players which is more than I have seen before. 

Mac re-signs - By Ken Preston

Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed goaltender Drew MacIntyre to a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay MacIntyre $600,000 at the NHL level, or $250,000 at the American Hockey League level in 2015-16.

After reading his comments about not wanting to sign with Charlotte if they were going youth I was a little surprised to see this. It does give us some depth at goalie even if he has only played 6 NHL games.

Commitment To Winning Leads Drew MacIntyre Back To Charlotte by Nicholas Niedzielski

“[Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis] said he wants to sign some older guys and there’s going to be a new coach and they want to win here,” said MacIntyre

“The two goalies up top are on the last year of their NHL deals, so that’s another part of it as well,” said MacIntyre. “Whenever goalies are on the last year of their deal, there’s always the chance for opportunity.

We learned a couple things from this. RF indicated to Mac the Chex want some older guys and Mac thinks he has a shot at the big show with the Canes.

I wonder if that means an increased chance of us making Boychuk an offer. Maybe a 2-way with an AHL salary closer to $100k than the $250k he got last year?  

I wonder if that means an increased chance of us making Boychuk an offer. Maybe a 2-way with an AHL salary closer to $100k than the $250k he got last year?  

I wonder, Boychuk is a proven AHL player and at times excels in the AHL. If we want to try to set a winning culture using some AHL vets , Boychuk would fit the bill. But at some point don't you think we need to bring up some players that we can develope.I'm thinking Boychuk is as likely to head to Europe.

I wonder, Boychuk is a proven AHL player and at times excels in the AHL. If we want to try to set a winning culture using some AHL vets , Boychuk would fit the bill. But at some point don't you think we need to bring up some players that we can develope.I'm thinking Boychuk is as likely to head to Europe.

That's a great example of the "balance" issue, isn't it? On the one hand, seems like the Canes would be best served by gearing the Chex roster towards developing prospects that have a chance at being regular contributors in Raleigh some day (I think most here believe that ship has sailed for Boychuk).  But you also need to keep the Chex competitive, both for the health of that organization as well as for building the culture we want. Depending on his attitude, seems like Boychuk fits the bill there very well. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Justin Shugg Looks To Build On Breakout Offensive Year - by Nicholas Niedzielski

With improved numbers in each of his subsequent pro seasons, Shugg, who is a restricted free agent, will be looking to take another step in his progress this offseason. Should he return, look for Shugg to find even more comfort in his scoring touch and hopefully bring his winning pedigree to the next level.

Hurricanes Sign Defenseman Tyler Ganly by Paul Branecky

Playing on the same team as dynamic forward Sergey Tolchinsky, another potential Checkers rookie, and Charlotte native Bryan Moore, Ganly totaled 54 points (5g, 49a) in 167 games over three seasons with Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League. Limited to just 38 regular-season games, he ranked second among OHL skaters with a plus-14 rating in this year's playoffs.

It looks like (to me) we are beginning to turn some of the Checkers team over. I will be interested to see who we let walk in July.

I think the idea in Charlotte is to play the same system and stye as the big club so we don't end up with guys like Boychuk who don't seem to have a clue what to do when they get called up. 

Have you seen or heard anything about the coaching search?  I can't find anything.

I think the idea in Charlotte is to play the same system and stye as the big club so we don't end up with guys like Boychuk who don't seem to have a clue what to do when they get called up. 

Have you seen or heard anything about the coaching search?  I can't find anything.

I haven't seen anything but I keep looking around the various sites. My guess is we will want a coach in place by June..