The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Information

Brendan Woods Finds Scoring Touch in Year Two by Paul Branecky

In his second pro season, Woods, who turns 23 next week, eclipsed totals from his rookie season by a fairly significant margin

“My goal is to be in the NHL and I’m going to be working my butt off in the summer to get there.”

Woods is going to be a depth player IMO but we could need a bottom line guy sooner rather than later depending on how things work out in free agency.

Jared Staal - by Nicholas Niedzielski

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it, I’m not the most skilled player,” said Staal. “I’m sure I’ll be a bottom six forward who’s going to play physical. Hopefully I’ll be able to chip in with more offense going forward, but I know the coaching staff doesn’t expect me to be that player, and neither do I.”

Staals a free agent. Decision time for RF?

Jared is about to turn 25.  He doesn't seem to add much to the Chex and there doesn't seem to be any real developmental potential there.  Seems like the only reason he'd be re-signed is as a favor to his brothers.  It'll be interesting to see what GMRF does with him.

Brody Sutter Enters Offseason with Momentum - by Paul Branecky

“I think I’ve improved all three years,” he said. “I’m happy with my progress as a player and hopefully they (the Hurricanes) are too. It’s a nice feather in your cap when they give you that chance and they believe in you, but I want to take that to the next level and be a guy that they believe in full time.”

I like Sutter. I can't help pulling for him.

Phil Di Giuseppe Shows Flashes in Rookie Season - by Paul Branecky

At the end of the day, Di Giuseppe and the organization are hoping that his stronger finish to the season – he scored 12 points in his last 20 games, as opposed to 18 in his 56 previous outings – will be a sign that he’s made progress in the area of consistency.

“He’s shown flashes of the speed and skill,” said Daniels. “He ended the year on a good note and hopefully he can remember why that was and be the player he needs to be.”

OBXer, thank you so much for doing this, and at least making some news available from our club. BTW, where are you gleaning this information from?

OBXer, thank you so much for doing this, and at least making some news available from our club. BTW, where are you gleaning this information from?

Almost all of it is from the Checkers Web site. gocheckers.com

Greg Nemisz by Paul Branecky

To his own surprise, the Checkers forward, who was part of a back-to-back Canadian champion Windsor Spitfires team in his junior days, ended up tagging along with the Oshawa Generals as they captured the coveted trophy on May 31. What started as a few text messages with old friends after the conclusion of the AHL season turned into an unofficial coaching role that lasted several weeks.

Nemisz, one of the Checkers’ alternate captains last season, is currently a restricted free agent. Since the NHL club could retain his rights with a simple qualifying offer, he doesn’t expect talks with the parent Carolina Hurricanes to intensify until after the draft later this month.

I'm starting to get a feeling for the Chex team through these postings on gocheckers.com. I believe Francis is going to a lot of rebuilding  at the AHL level. I'm going to be interested in who stays and who goes. It might give me a clue on what his vision of the big club is. Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but what the heck, it's summer.

Me too, OBXer, as you can tell!! Still waiting on the BIG one though, naming the next coach!! Any sense when that might take place? Also, might it provide some clue as to the direction the club might be going, as well as how that impacts the big club?

To finally get a coordinated, symbiotic unit, bigs/youngsters, to transition when injuries occur, as they always do, would, IMHO, be a major step up, ala Detroit.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Yeah, would have to be someone down w/ Peter's system. At this point really seems it would be someone outside the organization?

I have no idea when the Chex will name a coach. I think it was coastal that posted in another thread that we had possible interest in Todd Nelson the former OIl coach. I also read that later although he was reportedly talking to the Pens and maybe the Red Wings about coaching their AHl clubs.

As far as I know only the Pens have been given permission to talk with him.

Whom did Peters coach with when he was with Spokane? Might that be a possibility?

Now hearing the name of Todd Nelson coming into the picture, coaches in the Oiler system according to a post on Canes Country.

Edited by KJUNKANE

NHL Experience Aids Patrick Brown's Rookie Campaign by Nicholas Niedzielski

“Goal-scoring touch,” said Brown when asked what he wanted to focus on over the summer. “I just had too many chances around the net this year that I didn’t put in the back of the net and that obviously hurt our team. So just scoring goals around the net, getting greasier and finding my hands in the blue paint.”

In thinking about this coaching position, and now with announcement of the one rumored name gone(Nelson), OBXer, I can't help but think that it'd be nice to have that individual in place for the upcoming draft, wouldn't you? I mean, since the majority, if not all, of players we draft will at least be slotted in Charlotte, so shouldn't this coach have some input? He also may have keen insight into a few of them, and be a valuable asset, no? I just don't understand that RF feels like it's no rush.

In thinking about this coaching position, and now with announcement of the one rumored name gone(Nelson), OBXer, I can't help but think that it'd be nice to have that individual in place for the upcoming draft, wouldn't you? I mean, since the majority, if not all, of players we draft will at least be slotted in Charlotte, so shouldn't this coach have some input? He also may have keen insight into a few of them, and be a valuable asset, no? I just don't understand that RF feels like it's no rush.

Since you asked I would say it would be nice to have our AHL coach in place by the draft but not essential. I think the draft decisions have been made, at least to the extent we have specific ideas on what players we might want or don't want. At this point I doubt our new Chex coach would be anything more than a passenger.

I have no insight and read the same stuff everyone else does to form my opinions but this is what I think. A decision has been made by Francis and the brain trust to change the operational mission and change the culture in Charlotte. The AHL will always serve as a development league for future NHL'ers but I get the feeling not at the expense of a winning culture.

Instead of individual development alone I think we have decided to build a team culture that can compete and develop those intangibles in player(s) that produce such a culture.

If my feelings are correct we will seek a coach that fits the team mission no matter who is on the ice. Not a coach that the team needs to fit. I think that is why we are seeing some of the signings we have.  Compete, Win and Learn might be the mission.

That is logical and makes perfect sense, as "team culture" is where this sport has to be grounded. My thought was just to have 1 extra mind in the draft process, particularly in later rounds where there might be limited scouting knowledge?

That is logical and makes perfect sense, as "team culture" is where this sport has to be grounded. My thought was just to have 1 extra mind in the draft process, particularly in later rounds where there might be limited scouting knowledge?

That couldn't hurt but I'm not sure it will happen. But we still have a few days.

Carter Sandlak Aiming For Full-Time Role by Nicholas Niedzielski

“I was the odd man out a couple games and nobody likes to sit out,” said Sandlak. “But I feel that hard work does pay off. I had good practice habits, I was working hard on and off the ice. I know when I get my chance for a full year then I’ll show them what I can do.”

I don't know much about this player. It says he is a 4th line grinder. He is signed through next year.