The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Manwolf

Player Signing Tue 9/21: Jeff Skinner

I don't have a clue. JR said he might sign one or two more NHL experienced players before training camp. He sure knows how to keep our interest. I keep thinking young centers but maybe Scotty is coming back. NHL numbers has free agents listed

Edited by OBXer

My guess is Skinner at least.

"Carolina Hurricanes news conference set for tomorrow, likely to announce signing of 2010 first rounder Jeff Skinner."

Mckenzie is usually right on on these type of things.

Now, beyond that... hmm, do Dalpe and Kennedy have contracts? If not, that would be my other guesses.

This makes sense.

I looked at the other UFA's out there and the ones worth holding a press conference for would want more money than we need to spend. I'm also betting on Skinner because he has looked really good so far.

Why would we hold anything for Skinner. We already know that he is playing tomorrow and we already "own" him. I would guess Parise. Devils need to unload some players and Zach has not signed anywhere. This would be a great scoring winger and the experience that we need to add to the forwards.

Why would we hold anything for Skinner. We already know that he is playing tomorrow and we already "own" him. I would guess Parise. Devils need to unload some players and Zach has not signed anywhere. This would be a great scoring winger and the experience that we need to add to the forwards.

That would certainly be a surprise, though we would have to send some players up to them to fit our budget. Everything I have heard from various sources point to it being skinner though. Guess we will have to wait and find out. :P

Not sure where you pulled Parise from. Don't get me wrong that would be a great pickup, but I think we give Skinner his one-way contract and announce him as an addition to the future of Canes hockey.

I know who it is, it's............THE MUFFIN MAN!!

You must have been listening to Dennis Potvin :lol:

Skinner is another Rookie. We need some experience in the locker room. Nothing against Skinner and I know he impressed. I just don't think signing him would warrant a press conference. We already kind of have him anyway.

1st - Zach Parise is already signed by NJ. He is a RFA next year. For it to be him it would have to be a trade. The Canes said signing not trade.

2nd - Skinner signing a entry level contract would be worthy of a press conference. It is your 1st round pick 7th overall. Hall had one in Edm. Seguin had one in Bos. Now it is Skinner's turn.

3rd - Skinner is the real deal. He will make the team, and have a good rookie season. Even better than Hall.

You heard it here first!

Go Canes!

What? Huh? First line winger you say? Really? Oh a guy can dream.

What a first line NJ will have if they put Kovulchuk-Zajac-Parise. That is just sick. That's a real first line.

Not that I don't like our guys. If Parise is our man I will commit to season tickets for the next 10 years right now.

But you know, in a couple of years that could be Skinner (Parise level).

Edited by remkin

1st - Zach Parise is already signed by NJ. He is a RFA next year. For it to be him it would have to be a trade. The Canes said signing not trade.

2nd - Skinner signing a entry level contract would be worthy of a press conference. It is your 1st round pick 7th overall. Hall had one in Edm. Seguin had one in Bos. Now it is Skinner's turn.

3rd - Skinner is the real deal. He will make the team, and have a good rookie season. Even better than Hall.

You heard it here first!

Go Canes!

According to the NHL Home Ice this evening Parise has no contract...

According to the NHL Home Ice this evening Parise has no contract...

Zach's contract runs through the 2010-2011 season. Check nhlnumbers.com. He wants a contract extension.

Here is a article on it:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/09/zach_parise_would_like_to_talk.html

Zach Parise wants to talk about a contract extension, but he's willing to wait.

Parise is scheduled to become a restricted free agent after the 2010-11 season, but the Devils might have a hard time working him under the cap after inking Ilya Kovalchuk to a 15-year/$100 deal. "I'm the type of person who likes to know what's going on," Parise said. "I like to have that comfort and stability. But I'm not concerned. I understand the way things have traditionally been done around here. To talk would be kind of out of the norm. Playing out the last year on my contract is not going to affect me in a negative way, I know that." Parise said that the Devils haven't talked to him about extending his contract yet. We'll keep you posted.

Parise will earn $5 million this season, the final year on his contract. Fortunately for the Devils, his cap hit is only $3.125 million.

Skinner will sign a entry level contract tomorrow! :groupwave:

Edited by rocheccw

Holding a press conference to announce you just signed an 18-year old, and he 7th overall pick to an entry level contract in a rebuilding year is news. There is no doubt the team will pencil in Skinner in the opening day lineup tomorrow. At least that's my guess. It just keeps getting better.

I would love to see someone like Parisi come south but I have to agree with the majority of you on this one. JR is a master of the media and he will announce the signing of Skinner to a one way deal today!! Although there are some vets still around that might be looking for work very late into the off-season, and we know the locker room could use a vet, BILLY GUERIN comes to mind, he attended camp with the flyers!

Edited by Canesnut

Let's figure it's Skinner...that pretty much locks up the 3rd line Center spot, right? There's no sending him to Charlotte and with a professional contract, he cannot go back to Kitchner, right? I expect Dalpe to make the move to wing as the team has projected him and start the season in Charlotte to get his feet wet a bit...potential lineup

Jokinnen Staal Ruutu

Sammy Sutter O'Sullivan (I have confidence in him)

LaRose Skinner Cole

Dwyer Nash Kosto

Dalpe, Boychuck, Bowman are the first guys up from Albany; Tlusty may hit the waiver wire pretty soon (just don't trust him coming back from surgery this fast and we have too many guys ready to jump in)...this organization is LOADED with talent.

In all seriousness, the only signing that makes sense is Skinner.

With O'Sullivan in camp, and upwards of 10 forwards already gunning for about 3 open slots, the only move that would make any sense for a team in our position would be to sign a solid proven point getter, but probably not at Parise's level. I mean how many guys do we need at the "proving themselves" level? I think we have enough. However, the Canes have made it pretty clear that they are not only not going after a top top guy, but JR is only looking for radical bargains. He's walking into Tiffany's and saying, "What do you have for $10?" Thus, he's not walking out with anything. I really like the O'Sullivan move, but it is bargain basement, which made it doable.

Unless we can add a solid proven youngish vet (and I doubt we can), then I think we are basically done. Billy Guerin has had a great career and probably can still play some, but adding guys at the end of their careers makes little sense in a "rebuilding" year.

The only exception I could see is if any of Cole, Sammy, Babchuk drew interest for a trade. However, it is really hard to see that happening for any of them at this point.

I really think that JR intends to find his team in the multitude of possibilities currently in camp. I am increasingly good with that.

Edit: looking at the list of unrestricted FA, not much left there that would look good in our uniform. Any further moves would have to be a waiver wire pick up or a trade IMHO.

Edited by remkin

Are people really considering that this is anybody but Jeff Skinner? I mean how many times have we signed a free agent and announced it at a press conference, not too many, if ever. This is all about marketing Skinner as the next big time star of the canes. Come out and see Jeff Skinner beat out Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin for the Calder Memorial Trophy. Granted that is a pretty big claim to make for a guy who was ranked in the 30's before the draft and got picked at 7 but I don't think I've seen this much excitement about a player for the canes, minus Eric Staal. Today should be a good day for Mr. Skinner, and tonight he should cap it off with a good showing against the Kitty Cats.

(also, he can be sent back to Kitchener but it would have to be before the 10th game of the season. He can't however be sent to Albany because of his age. I think thats right, im sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong)