The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Pkling40

Where did they go

Just had to post this...

The Wizard gets 2 assists in his first appearance in a Coyote sweater ""Hoooooowwwwl"...everybody still loves Raymond :-)

AND-

The New York Islanders announced today that Dean McAmmond, Manny Legace, Anders Eriksson, Krys Kolanos and Joel Martin have all accepted invitations to Training Camp on Professional Tryouts

GO MANNY... I hope he makes it!!! He is a GREAT guy to have around!!! Islanders are you listening???

Love the Wizard, but imagine our log-jam at wing if he were still here.

Log-jam at wing or not, we have yet to see someone who will match his point

production !! Maybe they will surprise me.

But good for Ray. I heard he is wearing the "A" also. Is that right ?

I hope Manny gets another shot at the NHL---great character guy, and fun to

watch.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Log-jam at wing or not, we have yet to see someone who will match his point

production !! Maybe they will surprise me.

It will be interesting to see what Ray produces at 38. I agree that someone needs to step up into his historical productivity. I'm hoping it's O'Sullivan. Again, love the Wizard, but it was the right move for us (other than getting nothing for him at the deadline that is).

It will be interesting to see what Ray produces at 38. I agree that someone needs to step up into his historical productivity. I'm hoping it's O'Sullivan. Again, love the Wizard, but it was the right move for us (other than getting nothing for him at the deadline that is).

I still think it is Cullen we will miss the most. I hate seeing Jussi being used as third line

center !! He has been so effective as a top six winger. I guess time will tell.

My guess is Whit will continue to be a point producer----and a great veteran leader on the young

Phoenix team !!

Will you still think it was the right move if we end up in the bottom 5 for goals scored? (and I don't mean that as sarcastically as it sounds)

I'm still not convinced it was the right move, though it certainly fit with the theme of the off-season, "get young and cheap, fast". Assuming we can avoid injuries, and Cole and Samsonov improve, and Sully gets 40 or so points, we may be OK, but I'm not convinced yet (lot of conditions there, too). Last year I was more worried about our D, this year it's the O. I'd be less so if Whitney was still around. Looking forward to what he can do out west, though.

I agree JLP, the offensive production has the potential to be there but if these young kids aren't protected, they're going to get pushed around.

As for Ray Whitney, I'm just glad he's out West because ex-Canes usually kill us. I would have felt much better if we had been able to either squeak into the playoffs or got something good back for him in trade last season.

Will you still think it was the right move if we end up in the bottom 5 for goals scored? (and I don't mean that as sarcastically as it sounds)

I'm still not convinced it was the right move, though it certainly fit with the theme of the off-season, "get young and cheap, fast". Assuming we can avoid injuries, and Cole and Samsonov improve, and Sully gets 40 or so points, we may be OK, but I'm not convinced yet (lot of conditions there, too). Last year I was more worried about our D, this year it's the O. I'd be less so if Whitney was still around. Looking forward to what he can do out west, though.

Well if we're bottom 5 for goals even 20 goals from Whitney probably wouldn't make much difference. After watching Brind'Amour's effectiveness drop precipitously and management take forever to deal with it, having a 38 year old small forward on a team with about 20 wingers waiting to get a shot, it was definitely the right move. Now we should have gotten a draft pick for Whitney, and that was the biggest botch of last year's trade deadline.

If we could have one guy we let go it would be Cullen. Imagine how good we could be with Cullen centering the third line. But I think it came down to years. With all of our young guys we needed Cullen for one year, and he wasn't going to sign for one year.

O'Sullivan will score more goals this year than Whitney.

Absolutely agree 100%.

... After watching Brind'Amour's effectiveness drop precipitously and management take forever to deal with it, having a 38 year old small forward on a team with about 20 wingers waiting to get a shot, it was definitely the right move. ...

I agree remkin. In fact, I think Whitney's production was already age impacted. The last couple seasons, he was not as productive in the second half of the season vs. the first. Last year especially so. He also didn't show up much, relative to his ice time, in the '09 playoffs with just 3 goals and a team worst -9 +/- in 18 games.

I'm hoping O'Sully can fill Whitney's departure and maybe even better it.

ray my fav, so i have to ask, sully has looked good far,but why do u think he will score more goals than ray??Phoenix more wide open style from games i have watched on NHL.COM and we are more defensive minded.. just wondering, dinz

ray my fav, so i have to ask, sully has looked good far,but why do u think he will score more goals than ray??Phoenix more wide open style from games i have watched on NHL.COM and we are more defensive minded.. just wondering, dinz

Just kind of a wild crazy statement. Wouldn't want to bet the house on it, but I'd bet a few bucks on it. It's just that age usually catches guys in the NHL. 38 is very old in NHL years. Ray had just over 20 goals last year. One could project that dropping this year. O'Sullivan put up 20 goals his very first year in the league and basically repeated it the next year. Just watching him so far he has serious skills. If he can play decently in his own end and find himself on the first or second line, I really think he could push 30 goals.

I would gladly take the bet that if O'Sullivan plays most of the year on the top two lines and stays healthy and gets ice time, and Whitney does the same, O'Sullivan will out score him. Not the Whitney of a few years ago, the 38 year old Whitney of this year. I would take Whitney in his prime mind you.

Edited by remkin

Watched the Oilers and Coyottes today in a rebroadcast from last night on the NHL Network and NO Wizard! Also saw on the ticker during the game as Gerber was having a very good game that he was put on waivers today. There seems to be a lot of good net minders available which will help us with our surplus, hoping we can rotate them thru Charlotte so they can stay sharp. I'm also hoping to see Manny surface with another NHL team, preferably out west!

Whitney excited about move to Phoenix - NHL.com

"Other teams called early. Some of them called a couple times. (The Coyotes) weren't afraid of giving me that second year," Whitney told NHL.com in running through his thought process during the free-agency period.

"I did watch a lot of their games last season. Being on the East Coast, you get to catch a lot of the late games. I also watched them in the playoffs and had the feeling this is a team heading in the right direction. With Dave Tippett as coach, it was an intriguing situation."

-- Ray Whitney

I agree remkin. In fact, I think Whitney's production was already age impacted. The last couple seasons, he was not as productive in the second half of the season vs. the first. Last year especially so. He also didn't show up much, relative to his ice time, in the '09 playoffs with just 3 goals and a team worst -9 +/- in 18 games.

I'm hoping O'Sully can fill Whitney's departure and maybe even better it.

O'Sullivan won't be matching Whitney's numbers if he continues to play 9:31 minutes on the 4th line. :hide:

O'Sullivan will be in Charlotte when the team gets back from Europe...he has a two way deal...Tlusty does not. THere have been few claims made on the waiver wire, and I doubt anyone will take him. Unless Dalpe or Bowman stinks up the place...

Edited by TheBigKahuna

From Spector's Hockey: HOCKEYWEB.DE : reports former NHL goaltender Manny Legace has signed a one-year contract with the Iserlohn Roosters of the German Hockey League.

Edited by OBXer

From Spector's Hockey: HOCKEYWEB.DE : reports former NHL goaltender Manny Legace has signed a one-year contract with the Iserlohn Roosters of the German Hockey League.

Disappointing for Legace, bad timing in an off season with too many goalies and not enough open positions.

Dan Rosen from NHL.com wrote a nice article about Matt Cullen:

Time was right for Wild's Cullen to go home

Too bad about Manny settling for less than the NHL... Atlanta is looking for a goalie now that Pavelec is in question. Manny was already in their system when we grabbed him to fill in for Wardo last season. Would have been a great opportunity for the vet.