The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
fkelly

Jay Harrison

I got nothing against this guy personally but has anybody seen anything from Harrison that would validate him taking a roster spot? Im looking for something....anything from him to understand all the good feedback Ive heard from MO after games and read in the canes blogs. His positioning is bad, he's too slow and gets burned by the oppostion all the time. Yeah he sticks up for his team mates but other than that, whats he bring to the table? He might even make Babs look like a world class defender.....mayybe not.

What is the front office seeing that Im not? Why did jr give him a 1-way deal, were other teams lining up for his services?

Here's what I think should happen: package Harrison and Boychuk together and go find a veteran stay at home guy who can mix it up to take some of the pressure of Gleason. Gleason is the only guy to offer any protection and we cant have him in the box or on the IR with a broken hand (see Scott Walker).

Can anyone shed some light on the Harrison situation? Have I missed something good he's done on the ice?

:rofl: chuck steak?

From what Ive seen, Boychuk has to know he's been seriously outplayed by the competition so maybe he needs a fresh start on a team that doesnt have the depth we do in Charlotte.

I did some looking around and from reading all the crying an complaining on another canes board, Harrison looks like he;s been dubbed this years A Ward and last years Wallin so I guess that makes him the new goat to get ripped apart for just breathing wrong :rolleyes:

Like I said, I got nothing against the guy unlike those that make it sound like he just ran over their puppy and Id love to him be a physical force who can play solid D but Im just not seeing it. I wonder if anyone is besodes the front office?

Edited by fkelly

When O'Sully made that giveaway against Nasville (which resulted in a goal), Mo leaned on him quite a bit and called him out.

Meanwhile, Jay Harrison is a Minus -5 in a preseason, and turns over pucks like a drunken sailor, and Mo gives him a pass and says nothing :bangHead::bangHead::bangHead:

The big difference there is they know Sullly is dripping with plenty of natural ability and Harrison is just another depth dman who come a dime a dozen in this league. With Sully it seems like they're trying to push his buttons to test at what point he might back down his compete level. I gotta think they're hoping it does the opposite and drives his level up a notch or two. I dont see it as a bad thing before giving the kid his roster spot which will be inevidible cause he's earned it.

Unlike Harrison.

That's funny, the box scores indicate that Harrison leads the team in hits and blocked shots during preseason. I'm not being a proponent of Harrison to make the roster, I'm just looking at the stats. Those are fair game, right, since the -5 gets thrown out there so quickly?

Beats me...saved us about 800K and a year younger than Alberts...though moving him is still baffling to me. But Harrison's the #6 guy, and if they waive him and someone takes him fine, or he goes to Albany and they pay him NHL minimum. Still saving $ over Alberts.

-5 in the preseason, playing with kids and such? Yeah, not great but I'll reserve judgment for the regular season. And just because you haven't seen anything in print doesn't mean things haven't been said. The PR guys tend to focus on all the new shiny toys. :)

Aaron Ward deserves his own group. I loved him in his first stint and for some reason I dont think he ever forgave Walker for that punch beyond "team speak" and saying yea everythings cool. Something wasn't cool and he obviously had no interest playing for us. I still remember when he got beat to the right side boards and watched a guy skate around him and score...never even moved. For a guy who did so much for us that was a dagger in my back.

Wallin and Kabs don't deserve to be grouped with him. As bad as they played they never quit on the play.

Aaron Ward deserves his own group. [...] Wallin and Kabs don't deserve to be grouped with him. As bad as they played they never quit on the play.

Agree 100%. Harrison may be short on talent, and Wallin and Kabs got older and banged up, but Ward last year had a serious case of I-don't-give-a-crap-itis. He and Chara were a bromance on ice, busted up by JR, alas...

I agree with JLP, -5 in the preseason isn't really a number I'd hang my hat on just yet. I also agree that He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in the preseason games either but I'll wait and see what he does with an NHL team around him when the season starts. And yes, I'm still scratching my head over the whole Alberts trade.

**Note to all: Please refrain from critiquing other message boards here. I'm sure we've had topics and opinions posted on our board that were real head scratchers to those on other boards too ( "average at best" comes to mind ;) ). If you want to critique what you've read elsewhere by other Canes fans, post your feedback where you read it. Thanks for understanding.

Personally, I think its a weakness way above and beyond Jay Harrison. The whole team lacks enough toughness from top to bottom, and I think that just may raise its ugly head during the first road swing out west. I can't figure out JR's thinking with all these offensive-minded D-men. The only defensive players we have that will hit someone are Gleason and Harrison. Don't expect it from Sanguinetti, because that's been the knock on him all along.

And yes, I'm still scratching my head over the whole Alberts trade.

So is Andrew for that matter. Knowing he just bought a house and his girlfriend/wife? was moving here who had just found a job is like a bad romance movie.

Harrison brings size and a physical presence which we definitely need on this team, especially on our back end. He is no worse than Nik Wallin when it comes to footspeed and better than Aaron Ward was last year. Wallin and Ward were both a bit better in regards to positioning, but I do not think Harrison has been wholly terrible.

Keep in mind when looking at his plus/minus that he has played in every single preseason game and logged major minutes against the opposition’s top players. That won’t be the case in the regular season. He will be a 3rd pairing guy, getting 3rd pairing minutes, against 3rd and 4th line forwards.

The coaching staff seemed like they wanted to get a good look at him in all sorts of scenarios, many of which will be way beyond what will be expected of him during the regular season. I don’t think anyone expected him to be the next Pronger, just a serviceable guy who brings an element of toughness. So far, he seems to have passed that scrutiny.

Does Harrison even make the team when we inevitably cut down to 7 d-men? Pits, Babs, Corvo, Gleason, McBain are the top 5 guys, but who gets 6 and 7? I think it's just as possible that Carson and Sanguinetti make the big club and Harrison has to pass thru waivers on his way to Charlotte.

But I do agree that I have no idea what JR/Mo see in him, other than a big body. I mean, he's our physical presence behind Gleason? Ouch.

At least we didn't pay Derek Boogaard big money. HA HA HA

A little insight from JR:

Unlike the situation at forward, Rutherford indicated that things are less clear on the back end. All eight defensemen remaining in camp will travel to Europe, but specific roles have not been defined past the big three of Joe Corvo, Tim Gleason and Joni Pitkanen.

That leaves Anton Babchuk, Brett Carson, Jay Harrison, Jamie McBain and Bobby Sanguinetti to fight for playing time.

“I think we still have games to watch before we decide,” said Rutherford. “We have guys who are capable of playing, and it’s still open to where they get slotted in.”

Sounds like JR just issued a challenge to everyone not named Gleason, Corvo or Pitkanen.

That's funny, the box scores indicate that Harrison leads the team in hits and blocked shots during preseason. I'm not being a proponent of Harrison to make the roster, I'm just looking at the stats. Those are fair game, right, since the -5 gets thrown out there so quickly?

You are correct.

Plus the fact that our #1 goalie had a ruff/rusty/playing with young guns start as well!!! People will always jump on a d-man for the +/- but not on a goalie!!!

I'm not sure lately, but after the first couple of games the brass liked Sanguinetti. Personally I'd go with Carson in the 6 slot. I do recall JR hinting that Harrison played hurt some last year, but the only reason I can see taking Harrison over Carson is that we have no one not named Gleason that can drop the gloves. Then again, that may be reason enough.

This defense, as it stands, will never wow anyone. But if they can play as a unit, including with Harrison in the lineup, I believe they can be better than last year defensively. I have noticed in the few games I've actually watched or attended thus far, that they seem to be alot better at clearing pucks from in front of net. Outside that wierd first period to start the preseason, there have only been a few other goals against. The PK has been outstanding as well. So, there are some things which look positive.

My main concern is what happens when one of Gleason-Corvo-Pitkanen go down, or god forbid two of them at the same time.

A little insight from JR:

Sounds like JR just issued a challenge to everyone not named Gleason, Corvo or Pitkanen.

That looks to be a challenge to me. "No time to be -_- or you will be on the bus to Charlotte"

Edited by TSA
fixed your smiley

Jay Harrison is on this team because hes a guy that can fight that can also play a little. Hes here to go to the penalty box instead of Tim Gleason because you want Gleason on the ice not serving 2-5-10 like he got against Atlanta. The Atlanta game the other night is just a preview of things to come this year when it comes to teams getting physical against us. Most the teams in the East are stacked this year with physicality and enforcers and its not a good thing to have a team full of young kids with nobody to protect them. If the real issue at hand would be addressed and an enforcer would be brought in to play on nights when needed then Carson or Sanguinetti could take Harrisons spot. Until then, or at least I hope so Harrison needs to stay just to be the punching bag and keep Gleason on the ice.

Hes here to go to the penalty box instead of Tim Gleason because you want Gleason on the ice not serving 2-5-10 like he got against Atlanta........I hope so Harrison needs to stay just to be the punching bag and keep Gleason on the ice.

I'm diggin this post. :boxing: