The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
fkelly

Jay Harrison

The extra money for Alberts was more than worth it... trading him away was the biggest mistake last season. Not only did he stand up for guys, he blocked shots and had the most hits of anyone on the team (at one point he was sixth in the league I believe). He was worth it.

As for Harrison, well I hate to dump more on him, but I've never been impressed. I think re-signing him may be the biggest mistake of this season... but we'll see.

I like Harrison, but not on this roster. I'm sticking with my roster I posted in the contest with switching deadlines, and Harrison wasn't on it.

I am confused as to exactly why we got rid of Alberts. His play was solid, he was young, relatively cheap, and he was big. He was also certainly capable of taking on the pugilist role, but he was much more solid than a hired goon.

I am against goons, and think you can send a message and protect your players without them.

That is all.

I'm sorry but if any of this were true we should of kept Conboy. He would have accepted a two-way. Plus his defense was no worse (if not better) than Harrison's. At least Conboy could win a fight.

I still do not see what Mo sees in Harrison. This guy must be the second coming of Bobby Orr in practice. Sure has not shown it on the ice in games...this preseason or last season.

Then again, I do not see what J.R. sees in Mo. I am blind all over, I guess.

Bottom line is that in the NHL, you need toughness on your roster. There are a couple of ways of going about this:

1. Stock your lineup with some skilled players who bring an edge to their game and can mostly take care of themselves.

2. Dress a player (goon, enforcer, call ‘em what you will) who is there solely to police, fight, intimidate.

3. Claim you’re going to have ‘team toughness’ and hope that your team is so scary good that they can score enough goals to keep the penalties down and hope that you can run and hide behind the zebras when other teams start bullying you.

Jay Harrison and Tom Kostopolos are his ‘concessions’ to the need for toughness. Neither are really ‘goons, enforcers, or intimadators’, so he is trying to dabble in the first option up there. I feel bad for both players because they are really being put in a tough spot. When the opposition starts running our goalie, roughing up our stars, and intimidating our young players, it is these two guys who will be expected to step up and do something about it. And neither one is really suited for the job.

Harrison is better than the alternative … which is having Gleason as the only guy willing or able to play any sort of physical game at all. Anyone hear Gleason's comments after the season last year about wanting more ‘grit’ on the team? The guy is clearly sick of being the only rock on a team of softies.

Edited by OoklatheMok

And on a good note: at least there won't be a lot of people upset when he has to sit out 5 minutes or more. At least it won't be a productive player.

I have to admit, if Babchuk and Harrison are ever on a line together that spells disaster. I saw that once in preseason, and that was enough. Mercifully, Mo figured that one out and promptly stuck Harrison with Gleason.

I saw that Picard was placed on waivers Monday...heading to the AHL. Harrison got lucky with a 1 way contract. His willingness to sign a cheap 1 way is the only reason he's still here.

Wrong Picard...that was the forward in Phoenix (I noticed Monday too, and had to look to know for sure). Picard is still in Montreal, for now. But not a realistic comparison, two totally different players. And wouldn't it be better to have someone in that role on a two-way than a one-way?

Every year for the last few, JR signs one guy like this to NHL minimum one-way as enforcer...Brookbank, Conboy, now Harrison. A little bit reward, a little bit because of waivers, etc. Harrison is more talented than either of those two. Whether more so than Carson/Sanguinetti remains to be seen. FWIW, neither Brookbank or Conboy lasted the season of their one-way.

Right...I saw Picard and assumed it was the defenseman. Forgot he went to the Habs.

I agree, Harrison was given a 1 way as a bonus to signing cheap. He'll likely be hte 7th d-man most night, in my opinion. He's been pretty bad so far this pre-season.

At least Im not crazy cause only 1 so far has oferred a reason to give Harrison a roster spot. Comapring him to Brookbank and Conboy is about right because as someone said, neither made it the whole year in the bigs.

Package him up with Boychuk and Babs for a solid dman, one that isnt named Redden ;)

Well I guess I'll be the second one to say give Harrison a chance. Probable for many of the same reasons as the first. In a world where we have mostly offensive minded D-men Harrison will stay at home. He is a pretty good shot blocker. He will stick up for himself and his team. He brings an element of toughness to the game. He can play on the PK. A couple of his alledged miscues in exibition weren't his fault especialy the puck left behind the net by Pogge. He is mostly used on third pairing so +/- is going to reflect that.

I'm not sure he is going to be the one that earns one of the final defensive spots. If he doesn't somebody else earned it and if he does we could do worse.

If we really want "toughness," we should at least get us a goon who can actually fight. Jay Harrison can not pass or shoot well. He takes bad penalties, and makes terrible mental errors. He is the slowest player on the team. And to top it all off, when he does fight, he usually gets his butt whooped.

Packaging him in a trade is not likely to happen. My guess (hope)is he will be waived sometime this season.

I think I made my stance known on the preseason GDT for the game on the 24th. After watching Alberts with Vancouver the other night, man what a stupid, stupid thing we did. His game has really improved and he was out playing a pretty solid D game, some nice passes, and a shot or two on net. And he's a big son of a gun too, and can drop 'em and all. I think we really messed up with that one, since he was fairly cheap too. Time will tell on Harrison, but I'll be surprised if he lasts the season. I, honestly, hope his game improves and he finds his rhythm.

Still think a lot of our problem is coaching...

I really wondered about the Alberts trade too. He seemed to play well enough and didn't have too much of a downside.

I got to speak to him briefly at the season ticket holder appreciation night and he seemed to be very nice too.

However, one thing that did strike me as being strange at the time was when I asked him if he was getting used to the Raleigh area, his reply was something like "Yes, I hope I can stay here." The tone of his reply was off though and it didn't seem to be optimistic. It almost seemed like he knew he was going to be traded but didn't really want to be.

Who knows? He played well for us while he was here and I wish him well on his future.

Not to turn this into a thread about Mo (Just note I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up), but despite the bad start last year, I just don't think he's that terrible. I guess this year will tell. I would point out how many people a few years thought Lavi was a bad coach. He seemed to do pretty well last year.

Anyway, that deep playoff run a couple of years ago with a pretty average team was Mo, and the strong close out last year was a team finally free of the overhanging issue and responding very well to....Mo.

We are short on proven NHL scoring, but long on potential. Thus I will admit this is a team where coaching will make a big difference. If it's bad I will be on here admitting it. I only hope if it's good others admit it also.

i haven't been able to see the preseason games, so i cant comment on his play, but i will echo the hell was Mo/JR thinking when trading Alberts and keeping Harrison. yes, Harrison brings a physical game, but not a very good one.

a comparison between the two:

stats.JPG

as you can see, Alberts hits more, and if i'm not mistaken, was 11th in the league in hits. he has a better plus minus, give aways arent that great, but take aways are better.

Harrison on the other hand blocks more shots, and scores a bit more.

it may be just me, but if i have a plethora of offensive d-men, then i would rather take someone that will throw hits and has a decent plus minus with the bonus of being able to drop the gloves and not get their butt whooped. just my 2 cents

While on balance I think JR is a great GM and Mo is an underrated coach, I agree that Alberts would look really good as our 6th dman. I am not a huge Harrison fan. From what I've seen his main value is dropping the gloves and losing fights. I would put Carson in there with what we have.

The issue of protecting Gleason from drawing all the fights is a legit issue though. Even is Harrison loses them, in the NHL somebody needs to at least drop the gloves and I don't want it to be Gleason.

Well Harrison makes 500k while Alberts makes 1.3 and both are UFA after this season. It could be as simple as salary.We also picked up Austin Levi with the 3rd round draft pick we got in the trade. Time will tell if that works out but we are in the rebuilding mode and under self imposed budget crunch.

Edited by OBXer

Well Harrison makes 500k while Alberts makes 1.3 and both are UFA after this season. It could be as simple as salary.We also picked up Austin Levi with the 3rd round draft pick we got in the trade. Time will tell if that works out but we are in the rebuilding mode and under self imposed budget crunch.

Ah yes, the el cheapo thing. Maybe Levi develops. I still think Carson.

Leading in hits but -5 already? He is slow, out of position alot, and I question his mental toughness or is it his mental ability I forget! He is relatively cheap, he is Big, and he Blocks shots. All in all I would rather have Alberts back but thats not going to happen! so what do we have in him? someone hopefully that can fill a role and be a tough guy for this team. someone that will go in when needed and stand up for the rest of the team. It would be nice to see someone that is willing to give a hit or two on every shift and be imediately in the faces of opposing players when they need to be dealt with. Timmy can't be the only tough guy out there and we know Babs aint doing it but that is another topic, IMO if that guy didn't have a cannon for a shot he would be lucky to play in Russia!!!!So lets hope he steps it up, feel challenged by the young guys and all of us that doubt his ability! GO CANES!!!!!!!

Not to turn this into a thread about Mo (Just note I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up), but despite the bad start last year, I just don't think he's that terrible. I guess this year will tell. I would point out how many people a few years thought Lavi was a bad coach. He seemed to do pretty well last year.

Anyway, that deep playoff run a couple of years ago with a pretty average team was Mo, and the strong close out last year was a team finally free of the overhanging issue and responding very well to....Mo.

We are short on proven NHL scoring, but long on potential. Thus I will admit this is a team where coaching will make a big difference. If it's bad I will be on here admitting it. I only hope if it's good others admit it also.

I was not sure if I should laugh or cry at this one...

The deep playoff run came from a team who realized that "gee, if PK/JR will axe our Stanley Cup winning coach...where do I stand....I better start playing...plus...players came back from injuries."

Responding to Mo? Ba-hah-hah-hah-hah....ummmm....no....it was finally minimizing the aged anchors that Mo put his faith in....and using the hungry youth.

Mo is nothing more than a puppet that PK can control. That is why PL was let go...he wanted complete control as a coach.

If you want career < .500 Mo is your guy. His system simply does NOT work in today's NHL. Cased closed.

I will challenge anyone to a debate on this one.

Edited by WStout