The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
fkelly

Jay Harrison

Well Harrison makes 500k while Alberts makes 1.3 and both are UFA after this season. It could be as simple as salary.We also picked up Austin Levi with the 3rd round draft pick we got in the trade. Time will tell if that works out but we are in the rebuilding mode and under self imposed budget crunch.

I'm pretty sure that was a different trade. I think we only got a 7th rounder for Alberts.

You're probably right about the salary. It's a shame though. I watched the Vancouver - San Jose game the other night, and Alberts played a great game.

I'm pretty sure that was a different trade. I think we only got a 7th rounder for Alberts.

You're probably right about the salary. It's a shame though. I watched the Vancouver - San Jose game the other night, and Alberts played a great game.

This is what I found when I looked it up.

RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has traded defenseman Andrew Alberts to Vancouver in exchange for the Canucks’ 2010 third-round draft pick.

I will admit I have a flawed memory so who knows. I agree that the salary was probable the biggest factor since we had already decided to begin rebuilding when he was traded.

After only seeing Sanguinetti play two games, including today, I can't see any reason he sits while Harrison plays. Sangs could skate circles around Harrison and Babs. that mobility goes a long way.

After only seeing Sanguinetti play two games, including today, I can't see any reason he sits while Harrison plays. Sangs could skate circles around Harrison and Babs. that mobility goes a long way.

yeah, i remember a few times of pits getting caught and speed skating down the ice to catch them. that ended my pits is a lazy *edit*.

the only upside to me that i see with harrison is that he will fight. not necessarily win, but fight and take the 5 minute break instead of someone more important(read gleason). oh well, at least when harrison is in position, he can block shots.

Edited by dreadedcaniac

I can give you a reason. Sanguinetti is an offensive defenseman and we have a whole corp of those. If you want to compare him to McBain or Babchuk or Corvo or Pitkanen, then by all means, go ahead. Harrison, like Gleason, brings something else completely different, and just as necessary, to the defense. Let's be honest, Sanguinetti can probably skate circles around Gleason too. But there's a reason why Gleason is in the NHL, and has been for some time, and Sanguinetti has languished in the minors.

Compare Carson and Harrison all you want and argue over who should be in the lineup, but you simply cannot put a corp of all offensive guys on teh ice in the NHL. In a men's req league? Sure. On your fantasy team? Absolutely. Little kids game? Why not. But not the NHL.

I fully agree that Jay Harrison is the weakest link goodbye.

But on "all of the offensive defensemen" thing I would make one point. Truly effective puck moving assist and goal producing defensemen are a serious commodity. Despite the need for the stay at home shut down types, most GMs are constantly trying to find the offensive guys. JR is building up a cache of them. I gotta think at some point he cashes one or two of them in for whatever he thinks the team needs next, even if that's a shutdown guy.

I still think he is looking for Babs to put up some numbers, then move him for something really good and let Sanguinetti step up, or use more of a shutdown guy. Doubt JR wants to have another contract thing with Babchuk at the end of the year.

I can give you a reason. Sanguinetti is an offensive defenseman and we have a whole corp of those. If you want to compare him to McBain or Babchuk or Corvo or Pitkanen, then by all means, go ahead. Harrison, like Gleason, brings something else completely different, and just as necessary, to the defense. Let's be honest, Sanguinetti can probably skate circles around Gleason too. But there's a reason why Gleason is in the NHL, and has been for some time, and Sanguinetti has languished in the minors.

Compare Carson and Harrison all you want and argue over who should be in the lineup, but you simply cannot put a corp of all offensive guys on teh ice in the NHL. In a men's req league? Sure. On your fantasy team? Absolutely. Little kids game? Why not. But not the NHL.

Despite the fact that Sanguinetti is an offensive minded defensemen, I think he is still less of a defensive liability than Harrison. So it's sort of irrelevant that Harrison is a 'defensive defenseman'. Sangs has the potential to be a solid two-way d-man in the league. I don't see that in Harrison at all. But if we really do want a defensive d-man, I really don't know why Carson is on the outside looking in. He was absolutely solid last year.

How Harrison got a one way deal I'll never understand. :dizzy:

He is just not a NHL caliber defenseman.

I would much rather go with Carson, or Sanguinetti in the 6th spot. At least they have the potential to be an NHL caliber Dman. Both of which have outplayed Harrison IMO.

iirc him, carson and picard were all offered one ways and harrison was the only one that took it

Yeah I know, but it just should have never been offered to Harrison, or Picard. Carson on a one way, I would have been ok with. He should have taken that offer.

Can someone please explain why Harrison is in the line up & Carson is in the press box? :twilight-zone:

Sags only gets to play if Corvo decides he can't go during warm up.

The main problem with Harrison is that he's not the most mobile guy in the world, and it looks like their hellbent on putting Babs #5. If Babchuk is number 5, he needs a mobile stay at home guy as his partner. I still think Carson is that guy. I guess that either Carson has not impressed enough to push Harrison out at this point.Then of course there's the whole needing a fighter thing.

The best long term strategy would be to trade a couple of wingers and get an enforcer on the 4th line, then put the best defenseman we can on the ice.

Edited by remkin

Two words about Jay Harrison....waiver wire.

By November 1st unless someone gets hurt.

Every year it seems like the Canes give one guy a one way contract just cause he does one thing, & is willing to sign a cheap one way. This usually leads to either the waiver wire, or buyout.

I really don't mind Harrison as the 7th Dman in the press box until someone is injured. But I can't stand him playing while the kids that need to play sit in the press box.

Please put Carson in for Harrison today, and play Sags if Corvo can't do the back to back!

i thought he played ok in Finland. At least he didn't make passes that led guys into hits like Joni did.

I agree. Joni's passes out of the D-zone were terrible. And as much as I would prefer to see Carson out there, Harrison was not bad in the first two games.

Also, this team is lacking in toughness. Lots of teams are going to try and push the Canes around this year. Minnesota tried to in the second game and it almost worked if not for a spectacular performance by Cam Ward. Harrison at least has the willingness to drop the gloves and enough strength to not get himself hurt or embarrassed in the process. I'm not much of a fan of Harrison and I wish he were not given a one-way, but I don't mind him so much on this team.

I'd rather keep Harrison up than send O'Sullivan down. Related? No, just really worked up about this board's bailing on O'Sullivan.

I'm not a big fan and I REALLY don't want to see him out there with Babchuk but right now he's the only option we have for any team toughness on the back end besides Gleason. If he stays on the bottom pairing and doesn't get minutes in critical situations, I have no problem sending him out there to keep opponents from pushing our skilled players and goalie around. Take a look around the division (never mind the rest of the league) and see the size the Canes are up against. In fact, you don't have to look any further than Atlanta to see the big (no pun intended) issue.

I actually thought Harrison had a decent game yesterday, I didn't notice him at all which is a good thing ;)

So, any new thoughts on Harrison after 7 games?

IMO, not only has he been far from our worst d-men(that title clearly belongs to ‘Uh Oh’ Joe), he has done his job admirably. He does not look out of place at all, even when he ends up against the opposition’s top lines. He has played a solid defensive game, adding a much needed element of physicality, and I have even seen the dude pinch in to get some offensive chances on occasion.

One thing I note the most out of his play is his long reach and how he uses it to poke check, sweep check, the opposition on rushes very effectively. He’s also good at forcing the play to the outside using his size/reach.

I gave Harrison a hard time, but his game has really come along. And I think if our D has a weak link, its been Corvo so far. I do put that second goal in Pheonix on him, but its not like he's out there alone. He has a good stick and looks solid. So I'm happy for now.