The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

EXPECTATIONS?

So with our new season almost here, what are your expectations for the Canes?

Mine are not real high but at the same time there is always that glimmer of hope! Alot of new/young guys that need to grow and gel as a player and a team. Will they be able to get in sinc with our veterans? Will our vets step up there game and carry the team on their shoulders until things come together? Alot of questions going into this year but at least with the young guns there should be alot of intensity along with mistakes. But with all that said I am still really looking forwards to this year!!(for now :thumbsup: )

Edited by djharley

I expect them to compete for the 8th seed. if they make it to the PO's the season is a success or if Skinner puts in 30 goals. Season is a success. Because we have just found a prolific scorer to compliment Eric.

Mine aren't overly optimistic, I think the organization will ride the bump they are getting from the All-Star game and then re-assess next season. IMO, it stems from PK wanting to sell part of the team. I don't think he wants to be on the hook for ALL of the teams losses so we are running lean.

We do have talent but not a fan of the current coaching staff. The kids might win in spite of it all. Regardless though I will be at every game cheering them on.

My expectations are modest. To continue to rebuild. To be competitive enough to fight for a playoff spot. To give the young guns (In Raleigh and Charlotte) a chance to prove themselves to determine who we keep next year and which veterans are expendable.

My hope is that we do compete, we make the playoffs, we take a deep playoff run.

No matter what happens I'm a Canes fan and will find the season very interesting.

I expect it to be a fun season, and an interesting season watching what the young players can do and how the team comes together. I think it will be exciting to watch, and I'm looking forward to being at the games. As far as outcome, I think if we are in the playoff hunt, it will have been a successful season. Immediate expectations are if we get to our home opener on October 27th at even or better, we will have something to celebrate.

Go 'Canes!

I like this years teams chances better than last years. Last year, there were too many complacent or incompetent vets on the roster. It wasn't until several of the Rats were called up that they turned things around and actually made a decent effort out of the last 3 months of the season. Rutherford's inability to make any significant changes at the trade deadline were the nail in the coffin.

There are no excuses this year. Colorado took off with an unknown roster of young players and were a darned good team last year. There simply are no good excuses. Period. Making up excuses now is pathetic. They've already got the "low budget, young team" excuses unholstered and ready to fire. I don't want to hear them.

There's no good reason why this team can't compete against the SE division. I just do not see the Caps running away with it again. They have ridiculous firepower, but less than stellar goaltending and a weak defense. Tampa looks to be the most improved team.

I am not content to aim for the 8th playoff seed. I want them to win the SE.

I look forward to watching an exciting young team who will view themselves as "underdogs".

I have modest expectations---and would love to see them surprise me!

I expect to see vets with expiring contracts show why they should be re-signed next year,

and young ones showing why they should stay with the big club. I think they will "gel" pretty

well-----most are under 30.

My concern is with offense, and I would rather see Jussi on the wing than at third line center. I hope we

see a couple new guys show their skills as shooters! Whether we make the playoffs or not--I would like to see

us in the hunt right to the end !!!

As far at the immediate expectations,until they get their bearings, if we win 2-3 of our first

seven, I will be happy ! :D

GO CANES !!

Good topic DJ.

My expectation heading into this season is that this team will compete for the Stanley Cup....period. And I would hope that's the same expectation of all the players and the organization. The beauty of pro sports is that everyone starts out the season with a clean slate and lots of hope for success in the upcoming season.

well, i agree with TSA, but being realistic also comes into play. we do have a young team. it is not composed of nothing but rookies, but when approximately half your roster for the big club have prospect stamped on their butt, you have to cut them a little slack in the beginning of the season. after a few games, the team should start coming together. i know we have training camp and exposition games, but nothing simulates a real hockey game like a real hockey game.

what we bring to the table is a lot of energy and moldability. we get to shape them, not some other coach and other system. my greatest hope is that we don't have the canes and the checkers, but instead one big canes club that has rotating pieces. of course there is some parts that have plateaued in the AHL, but the glut of forwards gives us the ability to cycle people through fairly easily, and they could drive here if they wanted to, since it is right next door.

well, i have ran my mouth for long enough.

Dread

My expectations are mixed. On the one hand, I'm extremely excited about seeing what is basically a new Canes team take the ice. All of our lines will have newcomers on them (at least on offense), so it will be fun to see how they perform. This is the first full season with Staal as Captain and the first in the "Post Rod" era.

All of that being said, I fully expect mistakes to happen. Like, a lot of them. I remember a couple of years ago, just before the Blackhawks really turned into the Cup-winning team, when Toews and Kane and the others were just getting started, one of their announcers said something like "They're too young and stupid to know they're not supposed to be playing this well yet."

Or something along those lines.

I kind of hope we play like that. Fast, loose... a little crazy. It could make even losing more fun. :-)

The main concern I have is scoring.

The defense and Goaltending is pretty stable. :D

I'm hoping that O'Sully and Staal really begin to compliment each other and become a top line in the NHL.

The problem with the Sully-Staal-Cole line is that its missing a playmaker.

Both Sully and Staal are shooters, Cole is a grinder.

There isn't a passer on that line to dish the puck to the shooters. :kleenex:

Remember, thus far this pre-season, the team has only scored 6 goals in 4 games. :kleenex:

The problem with the Sully-Staal-Cole line is that its missing a playmaker.

Both Sully and Staal are shooters, Cole is a grinder.

There isn't a passer on that line to dish the puck to the shooters. :kleenex:

Remember, thus far this pre-season, the team has only scored 6 goals in 4 games. :kleenex:

I think it's very inaccurate to not consider O'Sullivan a playmaker. He is a natural center. He's a terrific passer and sees the ice extremely well. He's a creative player. I think people sometimes will look at his stats or look at his previous performance with the Kings and Oilers and see that he shoots the puck a lot. But, I think it was mostly a lack of options. In my opinion, he's a true pure goal scorer. Meaning that he can see the best play and act accordingly, sometimes that means he himself shoots the puck but he also knows when his linemates have a better opportunity and a better angle. Problem with Kings/Edmonton there was no one to pass the puck to, no one ever around the net for him to create anything with...so, he did the only thing he could do, shoot. I expect he'll be shooting the puck a lot less this season. But, I also expect it will prove to be a good thing as I think his quality of shots will also improve - he won't just be flinging it on net like last season.

Of course, I could be wrong about everything I just said, too. I've been wrong before. :D

Barring a wicked injury bug (which we never seem to avoid), I see us as an improved team over last year, and hopefully a playoff caliber team. Even if we do just sneak in the 8th spot, once we are in the playoffs who knows what can happen. Look at Edmonton in 06, an 8 seed who made the final and nearly won.

THN has earlier prediction of us finishing 9th in the East, which I think is a fair assessment, right in the middle of the pack, not dead last and if we hit a good run of several wins in a row and perform better than expected we can sneak into the playoffs and surprise some people.

My hope is that we don't follow our normal goaltending strategy. Let Peters play 15-20 games, rest Ward and that will go a long way to having a better season and prevent injuries to Cam. Ward is the obvious #1, but now that he has a capable back up give the man a night off every now and then.. he's earned it!

The highest expectation would be the Stanley Cup.

The lowest would be to just miss the playoffs with at least the team putting together a consistent season.

Like many of you, I am thrilled for this season as we have youth that should be hungry; hungry to prove themselves, prove to the vets that they can come in and do well, and prove to the fans that we can be competitive against the other East's best. Last season was the worst imaginable; I think we will surprise many this year.

So very excited!

only expectation is that every player gives his all every shift that he plays

That's my expectation as well. I'd love to see us in the PO's or making the ECF, but honestly, I'm not going to be holding my breath with the holes in defense and unproven offense. I'd be a little more optimistic if I'd seen anything this preseason that made the team look solid and ready. I've watched some of the other teams on the NHL network this preseason and, well, it looks to be a long year if I base it solely off that, since even with their unproven rosters the teams just look better positionally and the chemistry is there.

I just want the team to play with the same heart and never say die attitude that they've shown year after year. Give the fans at home something to cheer for at least. I love this team, and I'll be there at my 8+ games this year no matter what. *but my secret wish is for us to surprise the heck out of everyone out there and make a solid run at the cup*

NO 14 game losing streak and I'll be happy. I think we will make the playoff barring any injuries OR crazy coaching decisions (bad line combinations, poor shoot out player choices etc etc.......)

I hope the young boys won't get pushed around too much especially by the likes of Pronger.

Of course, as long as Buffalo has a tough season I'm happy!

On the one hand I would have preferred that the team sign one more legitimate forward. Just pencil Cullen in at third line and look at how good we suddenly are. If Jussi centers the third line for long that is proof of my point.

On the other hand we have had two major surprises out of camp: O'Sullivan, and Skinner. If both of them produce to their apparent potential, suddenly goals may come easier than I thought.

We are strong with Staal and Ward who will win some games themselves.

Our defense could lead the league in goals.

If even one of Cole or Sammy find their games and LaRose returns to form, we may be much better than people think.

I see us in the mix for a playoff spot, then anything can happen. Winning the cup is a bit of a stretch, but you never know.

Edit: I would add, as I and others have pointed out, after the two vs. Minnesota the schedule gets very ugly very fast and for 9 straight games. The team will be seriously tested right out of the blocks. This could cut either way, but my expectations for the first 11 games are low, then much better. On the flip side ain if the team wins a few and keeps most of them close, it could be a huge confidence builder.

One other scheduling thing. We have a very unbalanced December also with a bunch of road games. That basically gets made up at the end of the year. Historically the Canes have made some really strong stretch runs. Well we have 12 of our last 19 games at home including 3/4 at the end.

Edited by remkin

Great thread DJ with only a week to go!

I'm excited about seeing the team unfold, but my expectation is it'll take awhile to get settled. The trip to Helsinki and then 5 road games will be a very tough start. However, it may be beneficial and strengthen the bond between new players with those with new responsibility.

I expect to see players rotated in from Charlotte, and an improved second half of the season vs the first half. I also expect we'll lose some players at the trade deadline.

A transition year, but with the potential for upside surprise(s).

Edited by Manwolf

Good idea for a thread DJ. Well, I've graduated to cautiously optimistic.

I'm still disappointed JR didn't strengthen the defense with another tough, stay at home guy in the Gleason mold. A good solid guy on the bottom pairing. I see that as a weak point. But who knows how many points they can put up.

I expect some inconsistent play early. I hope we can survive the first 10-12 games with 5 wins. Six would be great. If we can, and with a little luck from the hockey gods, we can stay relatively healthy and this team will start to mesh.

Playoffs? Well, I'm not punching that ticket just yet but I did put my first few bucks under the mattress just in case. I still think 10-12 in the conference, but I hope its better. It's a young team.

I'm a little surprised at the generally modest expectations of most posts as there had seemed to have been some uberoptimism among the fanbase in recent months.

However, I agree with the modest expectations -- I expect this team to try hard, but with that, I also expect a lot of mistakes. Ill timed pinches, forced passes, botched assignments: I expect them all, especially early in the season. That, combined with the god-awful road schedule for October could mean a big hole early. Get through October at .500 or better, then the team may be on to something. Even with that though, another hurdle will come later in the season to the young talent as they 'hit the wall' of what an 82 game season can bring (remember Staal's rookie year?). Survive those and avoid (for once!) a major injury bug, and playoffs are possible. Should be fun to watch, I hope!

edited to fix typo

Edited by Red_Storm

I'm a little surprised at the generally modest expectations of most posts as there had seemed to have been some uberoptimism among the fanbase in recent months.

However, I agree with the modest expectations -- I expect this team to try hard, but with that, I also expect a lot of mistakes. Ill timed pinches, forced passes, botched assignments: I expect them all, especially early in the season. That, combined with the god-awful road schedule for October could mean a big hole early. Get through October at .500 or better, then the team may be on to something. Even with that though, another hurdle will come later in the season to the young talent as they 'hit the wall' of what an 82 game season can bring (remember Staal's rookie year?). Survive those and avoid (for once!) a major injury bug, and playoffs are possible. Should be fun to watch, I hope!

edited to fix typo

I think part of the plan for avoiding the wall is shuttling the guys on entry contracts back and forth from Raleigh to Charlotte. I think we'll probably hit 9th or 10th.

That long opening road trip is the key to setting the stage for the rest of our season. If we get through at .500 or better I expect us to be serious contenders. The team is too young, IMO, to deal with a big losing streak at the start. No matter what, it's going to be fun to watch how this "new" group gels and develops. Again, .500 or better at the end of October and we go deep in the playoffs. :thumbsup:

For the team: A young team that will fight for a playoff spot all year, and if they make the playoffs then watch out!

For me: To drink a lot of beer as I watch a young team gain experience. :cheers:

I hope they remind me of the Pens a few years back!

Edited by rocheccw