The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

EXPECTATIONS?

Wow,,after last nites game (PHILLY) my expectations kinda got brought back to reality. Still positive just have to put a band-aid on, I guess! :wacko:

Yes, pretty clear pattern developing. Blow out the bad teams, get utterly stymied by the elite teams. In between on the other mediocre teams.

The problem is that even mediocre teams need to beat the elite teams occasionally to stay in the hunt. So far the team has no answer for Washington, Philly, and Pittsburgh, getting beaten badly on both sides of the puck, every game.

Is it lack of physicality? Lack of offensive firepower against elite defenses? Probably both. Not having a legit NHL first line doesn't help.

Anyway, with our faceoff woes probably worth at least 3 losses, we are going to have to beat some elite teams from time to time.

And it will have to happen now as the schedule has 6/7 of our next games against elite, or hot teams. I hate to keep thinking .500 hockey is ok, but frankly if we can finish the next 7 at or near .500, that will mean we have beaten at least a couple of very good teams. After last night. I'll take it.

If this team can grab 40 or more standings points by the end of December, and are in the top 8 in the east at the ASG, I'll feel better about our chances of making the playoffs.

I enjoyed the hot streaks towards the end of the last two seasons, and I've love for that to happen again this season, but it's probably not going to mean anything if we are playing catch-up for most of the season.

Making the playoffs even as an 8th seed would be ok with me, this is the season IMO where we need to show whether or not this team can be a playoff contender year in and year out. Lets face it, this franchise really needs to be making the playoffs consistently, might help convince all those transplants that come to our games only to cheer for the other team to finally cheer on us. And who doesn't love a good playoff tailgate?

Edited by captain_jack88

My expectations are becoming tempered by reality. I think this team is better then they are showing right now but not as good as I had hoped. I would like to see this team become competitive. We could compete for a playoff spot but that is more a hope then an expectation at this point. This is a team on the edge and I hope we don't fall off the cliff. We need to find our game and find it quickly.

My expectations are becoming tempered by reality. I think this team is better then they are showing right now but not as good as I had hoped. I would like to see this team become competitive. We could compete for a playoff spot but that is more a hope then an expectation at this point. This is a team on the edge and I hope we don't fall off the cliff. We need to find our game and find it quickly.

I can agree with that. Trip talks about taking advantage of the spacing and the home games upcoming, but what is more apparent is that we are going to be playing elite or hot teams for most of the rest of the month. If we don't figure something out soon, we are in trouble. We have to be able to beat good teams at least .400 of the time. Plus, December has 4 back to backs and 8-12 on the road. If we start to slide now it could get ugly fast.

On the other hand, if we can right the ship and get through December .500, the back half of the year's schedule is much more favorable, and like a couple of years ago when we went deep, this is the type of team that could start putting it together and make a run.

Despite the darkness of the moment, I still have hope. We are not this bad.

I can agree with that. Trip talks about taking advantage of the spacing and the home games upcoming, but what is more apparent is that we are going to be playing elite or hot teams for most of the rest of the month. If we don't figure something out soon, we are in trouble. We have to be able to beat good teams at least .400 of the time. Plus, December has 4 back to backs and 8-12 on the road. If we start to slide now it could get ugly fast.

On the other hand, if we can right the ship and get through December .500, the back half of the year's schedule is much more favorable, and like a couple of years ago when we went deep, this is the type of team that could start putting it together and make a run.

Despite the darkness of the moment, I still have hope. We are not this bad.

That is still the hope. It is a long season so lets see where it takes us. If we can play 500 through Dec all is not lost.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out on this thread by the end of the month. I continue to think in the end we will be no better than 10-12 in the Conference. But, like others, I still hold out hope we can somehow find a way to remain around .500 at the end of the year. But the way things are going, this month could be a disaster in that regard.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Previous to watching the first part of this season, I really though many people were underestimating this team. I just didn't think that much talent, young as it's hyped to be, would be fighting for last place in the Eastern Conference again this season. But I've just not seen anything to convince me that this team is capable of making it above .500 for the season. They've handily beaten a few really bad teams, and they've been summarily clobbered by the better teams. Rutherford tried to sell us on a youth movement and a rebuilding year. But neither has really materialized. Rebuilding means tearing something down and starting over. This group of players comes out and makes the same mistakes night after night, that Hurricanes teams have been known to make for several seasons. This all points to one place, the coach. The rest of the blame falls into the lap of the GM who is so shortsighted that he can't see the forest for the trees. He gets hung up on a certain type of player, and then stockpiles them. He reminds me of a gold investor who is positive that short light speedy forwards will be worth a fortune next year....or the same with puck handling defensemen. Why have 7 or 8 of those guys in your system? Remember the hockey game on Nintendo back in the 80s, where you chose the really big but slow skater, the average skater or the small speedy skater? Remember how it took a good combination to do well? Why is it that EVERY season we watch a Canes team that cannot connect with passes, or skate a puck through the neutral zone, or move opponents out of the crease, or play a hard hitting physical game? The game evolves and changes, constantly, but yet the Canes do not, season after season. The youth movement and rebuilding needed to start at the top with a new GM and a new set of coaches....wholesale changes. I've seen enough Paul Maurice hockey to know when to keep my expectations realistic...and not expect anything above mediocrity. THere will be no playoffs this year. The ONLY good thing taht will happen is that a long list of unrestricted free agents will be leaving Raleigh this spring at the trade deadline, and Rutherford will be forced to really institute a youth movement next year. I'm not sure who will coach that team, because Im pretty sure Paul Maurice has no idea how to handle a roster that 75% non-veteran players. Will Staal and Corvo play 57 minutes a night?

Uh huh...nice rant...

Rutherford tried to sell us on a youth movement and a rebuilding year. But neither has really materialized. Rebuilding means tearing something down and starting over.

Actually, what you defined is demolition, not rebuilding. From top 5 oldest team to top 5 youngest (4 guys over 30, none over 33). Half the starters are new. Sure sounds like youth and rebuilding by most definitions.

I've seen enough Paul Maurice hockey to know when to keep my expectations realistic...and not expect anything above mediocrity.

So your expectations have been met? Great!

Based on the past couple of seasons, Maurice teams tend to pour it on in February and March. So since we can always assume the same pattern repeats every year, we should be in good shape if they are at .500 by the All-Star break.

There is a long way to go...

With the new additions and good bye's maybe our rollercoaster is on the way up again?? :welcome:

I liked Mo's post-game quip after the Sens game when asked, sort of in a negative way, about the team being like a rollercoaster. Mo's zipped back something like, "Well, it's better than just going downhill."

Well last night's game was a nice indication that things are starting to gel. That was a hard fought point against a quality opponent and after a blowout of a temporarily bad opponent it was a set up for a bad game. When Pittsburgh stormed back to go up 2-1 and then kept the pressure on, and this team did not implode, but came back again and again and got that point, that was a significant step.

True it was only one game and it was after a shake up trade, but it was the first real test passed. The next 5 games will be the real gauntlet. If we can compete well and pull off a few wins through this stretch, I am seeing good things. Starting in January the schedule starts easing up in its nastiness, and by mid Feb it's all down hill. Given that this is a semi rebuilding team and should improve more than some teams, and given our amazingly consistent history of strong finishes and the softer schedule, I am very optimistic about a playoff appearance. We also have a lot of cap room to be renters, and lots of prospects if we want to make a trade.

I was expecting a 70-80 point season. After the game against the Pens, I think the Canes have a good chance to push 90 points. The Canes may not make te playoffs, but they will be in the hunt. If the Canes can maintian .500 through January, I think they have a real good chance. As has been mentioned, the Canes have a history of having a strong second half of the season.

Well, its December 2nd, thought I'd chime in.

After 24 games, the Canes are 10-11-3 (23 points)

Comparison to last year:

1) Canes did not get win #10 until December 28th

2) Canes were 10-22-7 at that point of the season

3) Canes were 5-14-5 at the 24 games played last season

4) By the end of November last season, they had played 27 games; they were 5-17-5 on Nov. 30th.

The Canes right now are 9 points ahead of last season. The past couple seasons, the Canes have been a good 2nd half team. After an atrocious beginning last year, the Canes finished 12th @ 80 points and were 25-13-3.

I do not think expectations are making the playoffs this season are too far fetched. I think 88-90 points will be the cut off again this season for the playoffs this year. Once in the playoffs, all bets are off.

There is no question we are a better team at this point in the season then we were at this point last season. What worries me is this team hasn't yet figured out their game or displayed that killer instinct (maybe the Boston game) you need to get in the playoffs. Also Atlanta and Tampa Bay are better teams this year and we still have a lot of games left against them. Teams are beginning to separate in the standings and if we wait for a late season run it might be to little to late this year.

But my expectations remain that we will find our game, that we will be competitive and make a solid playoff run.

My expectations were low heading into the season based on JR's characterization of a (likely) non-playoff team before the season started. Thus far, the team has surpassed my expectations for scoring, excitement and points. It is more of unexpected that keeps me curious as the story unfolds.

Cole and Sammy have performed better than I expected, but will that still lead to trade-bait at the deadline? I guess it depends on where the team is by then.

I didn't expect to see so little of the Charlotte players. IMO Tlusty has way underperformed and his one-way is a problem for those down in Charlotte. Carter has to show something, otherwise we should waive him and bring back Matsumoto at 4th line center.

I never expected the lines we're currently running. Sutter has to be more prominent, and the team is leaning very hard on Skinner too soon in my opinion. I still think Sutter is a 30 goal guy, and Skinner should be allowed to develop with tempered expectations.

I didn't expect McBain's play, nor the absence of Carson or Rodney given that outcome.

I did expect our poor PK, and that has to be addressed since it has been going on too long. Rowe needs to change or modify his tactics or the team will be near the bottom of the league's %. Flip side is I didn't excpect the PP to improve so much.

I'm as hopeful as anyone but won't say the "P" word nor expect it. I do expect steady improvment in the 2nd half, so staying in the fight is a big deal. I'm very pleased about that despite a few frustrating games, where tempered expectations helps dealing with the potential frustration.

Edited by Manwolf

My expectations seem to be changing from game to game. Most times I like to wait to see a trend over several games. This season there seems to be no consistency at all. There is still plenty of time for this team to become a competitive team but I don't think they can allow the top 8 to get to far ahead in the point race or this season might be over. My hope is still high but my expectations are diminishing.

Before the season began, I had much higher hopes for this team. I thought they'd surely outperform to the expectations. The defense was a little sketchy, but the forwards looked potent.

So far all I've seen in complete inconsistency and a team that can't seem to comprehend most of the fundamentals of the game of hockey.

Rutherford also failed miserably to put together a complete roster. There are just too many glaring holes in the lineup.

And the biggest problem I see is the team is playing right along on course with the coaches all time record....under .500.

It's time for a coaching change....yesterday. All of them!

It's time for a coaching change....yesterday. All of them!

How about a fund-raiser for the Kids And Community organization where one can bid on being a coach for a night?

Rutherford also failed miserably to put together a complete roster. There are just too many glaring holes in the lineup.

We have a .500 team with almost the minimum payroll because of the owner. I think that's kinda successful. Not only a .500 team but a .500 team that I think could be over the hump with a better coach.

I'm just not willing to get into a Mo must go fuss because I know as well as the next Caniac that's not going to happen during a rebuilding year

Edited by legend-1

I'm just not willing to get into a Mo must go fuss because I know as well as the next Caniac that's not going to happen during a rebuilding year

It's not going to happen as long as Rutherford is the GM. They won't fire Paul Maurice again. I just do not ever see that happening. The bets we can hope for is he take over as GM when Jimmy finally retires. Unfortunately, we'll be stuck with either Francis or Rowe as coach, maybe Daniels. But they won't hire outside the "family".

It's enough to drive a sane man crazy. Mediocrity is here to stay.

It all comes down to one thing..MONEY. Until this team gets the go ahead to spend closer to the cap like the big boys do, we'll live in mediocrity with a few unlikely runs sprinkled in every so often to tease us fans.

People can complain about the coach all they want but he's getting exactly what this roster can give and I was no fan of bringing him back either. Some nights they look great some nights they look bad but most nights they look pretty average with a spark sprinkled in every so often to tease us fans. Sounds familiar right?

Edited by fkelly