The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

NFL Thread 2013

Edit: = asterik

...And a blown holding call in the final play for San Fran. Truth be told, 49ers lost the game when they missed the 2 points and the FG but it was a heck of rally to come back as far as they did.

Happy for Joe Flacco but I could never be happy for Ray Lewis or Bernard Pollard.

I had the game on for my guests, but I really didn't care. I just enjoyed the party we had and all the food my wife made. Time to hit the tredmill.

The only thing that made this game interesting was a poweroutage, sad and embarassing imo.

Edited by legend-1

This was basically the only thing that I will take from this Super Bowl - since I didn't care for who was playing.

Edited by jb_online

Paul Harvey is an icon, Dodge got it right. godaddy.com got it soooooo wrong but it sure got the attention it wanted. :lol:

I come from a long family history of farming. Having grown up working our family farm with my family, that commercial with Paul Harvey reminded me of one of the things so wrong with this country.

Politicians used to go to Congress, represent their constituents, then return home and work the land.

Now you would be hard pressed to find one with any kind of land ethic, because they don't have a connection with it.

Same can be said of the general public, for the most part.

Sorry to get side-tracked, but that's about what I took from the game myself, since I really didn't care who won.

I din't even watch 1 second of the So-called Superbowl. I can't stand what the NFL has turned into. It really sucks because I use to be a huge NFL fan but now that is gone for the most part!

The only thing that made this game interesting was a poweroutage, sad and embarassing imo.

557889_10200228707532783_1183635762_n.jpg

^ that's a good one, TSA!

The thing with modern commercials, as exemplified by the GoDaddy ads, is shock value is the most effective element to advertising in today's fast-passed society. It doesn't matter to the executives of GoDaddy if we all barfed our dinner due to their commercial, what matters is that it is stuck in our heads now and we all know who's commercial it was. That is good advertising from that stand-point, but it's really the kind of depravity that is leading our once moral and ethical society (see the Dodge commercial or Bud commercial for example) downwards.

The Calvin Klein ad is just another example of low morals, reaching out and accessing ones most primitive levels of the id. I feel the same with ads featuring nearly-naked women, I'm not a hypocrite. The youth of America shouldn't be subjected to this kind of imagery, because they are only getting more and more desensitized at younger and younger ages until basically our children will be depressed and burdened with 'adult-issues', psychological and sociological disabilities before they even make it to middle school.

I'm not for locking kids into padded cells until they are legally mature, but for goodness sake, where have the values of our culture gone? I don't think there are any Paul Harvey monologs that would fit the Klein or GoDaddy ads...

God I feel old. :wheelchair:

Since theres so few heart warming NFL stories that actually get the credit they deserve I wanted to share this. A high school friend lost her 3 year old son recently, one of her friends did the following for her.. quoted from the Colts Facebook page.

I want to share a story with you about what Adam Vinatieri did for my dear friend Wendy Towler Francis,who unexpectedly lost her 3 year old son March 14, 2013.

Lucas Francis was a sweet and happy little boy who went to Heaven March 14, 2013. He left behind his momma who loved him dearly. He was full of life and loved everyone he met. He especially loved the Redskins. He was there #1 smallest BIGGEST fan. He cheered for every game. He even asked Santa and his elves for a "Redskins room" for Christmas. It was his mothers wish to have Lucas wear a Redskins jersey as the family laid him to rest. Her family and friends looked everywhere in the town we live in for a jersey and even contacted several stores to get a jersey. No one would guarantee the jersey would arrive in time for the funeral being that it was Friday and the funeral was Monday. I remember sitting at the funeral home wishing we could somehow make this happen for her.

Adam Vinatieri ...and my husband became friends several years ago. I wasn't sure how to ask or if he would be willing to do this on such s restricted time frame. I texted Adam telling him the story of sweet Lucas and how he loved the Redskins. I asked if anyway possible he could send us a RG 3 jersey for him to be laid to rest in. It was 3pm when I asked Adam for this favor. He responded saying he was out of the country but he would take care of it right away and it would arrive in time. She received the jersey the following morning with great surprise. She told my husband , " you don't know how much this means to me ". Adam did something very special for her and did not know her at all. He had only heard of his story just hours after his passing. The timing of the arrival of the jersey was amazing. It was here in less than 24 hours and it wasn't even the team he plays for. He is an amazing person!

Breaking News... Tony Romo resigns with Dallas in a six-year $108 MILLION deal.  Uh, what!?  Jerry Jones has LOST IT!

When I first saw this, and it must have been the shorter "breaking" story rather than the more polished story in your link, even Yahoo lambasted it saying "Romo joins a long line of Cowboys players to get paid as if they had actually done something"... The cowboys have become the Yankees of the NFL.  It's comical though that all that big money and a billion dollar stadium still can't win them a Super Bowl.  

Not sure what the Panthers are doing, but we are usually silent so I guess making small moves is better than none.  We pick up a strong safety from the Raiders who only has 2 career INTs in 3 years.  Pick up Ted Ginn from San Fran, who in essense is just a kick returner.  Sign Dominic Hixon, who I remember being a pretty good player, but he hasn't done much lately and has been hampered by injuries... We shall see.  

The Patriots have reportedly signed WR Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet (1-year deal). The Steelers have 5 days to match.

Playing some hard ball...

Sanders resigns with steelers, i think?? I just hope the Giants  get some defensive help, they need it..

I'm ecstatic about the Panthers getting the best DT in the draft, Star Lotulelei.  I'm amazed that he was still there at pick #14.  In the second we grabbed another DT - Kawann Short, a promising big man who was questionable motivation-wise, the only reason he didn't go in the first.  I think motivation in college is one thing, but when he starts getting paid NFL-level paychecks he should be motivated in a big way.  Our DLine looks scary right now... very scary.  And if you get lucky and make it through them you've got arguably the best LB corp in the league waiting for you, licking their chops.

So it was a truly unique draft with only one QB being drafted in the first (the Bills surprisingly picking EJ Manuel over Geno Smith) and no running backs.  Manti Te'o finally was picked by the Chargers at 6th in the second round.  Seems like 2013 will be the year of the OL/DL.

It'll be very interesting to see how Tebow mania meshes with the church of Belichick and the Brady Bunch.  Looks like Tom has a new student and Belichick has a new experiment to annoy the rest of the league with.

419_528907310507039_883370463_n.jpg

Tim Tebow is Bill Belichick's next great experiment - USA Today

I'm guessing Belichick might even love Tebow ... as anything except as a quarterback. (Tom Brady. Enough said on that point.)

But Belichick, no doubt, loves the opportunity to thumb his nose at the rest of the NFL — and especially the archrival that released Tebow a few weeks ago, the New York Jets.

Belichick loves his new hire enough to put to rest the notion that Tebow won't play in the NFL again and would have to go to Canada to resume his career. If you took the bet that Terrell Owens would get another NFL job before Tebow, you lose. Tebow is expected to be in Foxborough, Mass., and sign a contract when the Patriots open their mini-camp Tuesday.

This is Belichick being Belichick.

Interesting.  Any ideas what's up Belichick's sleeve, TSA?  What are the Patriots' needs right now?  Fullback, halfback?  I don't see Belichick & Co. calling any wild-cat plays... not this late in the game.  I never understood how Miami brought that scheme back from the grave and succeeded with it for a full season.  Maybe Belichick is bringing back the Notre Dame Box.

I don't know jb, this is an interesting move but its not surprising since there were rumors floating around that the Pats were interested in him last year too.  Maybe he's Wes Welker's replacement? :huh:

He's smart and quick with the ball so I could see him being used in a 3rd or 4th and short situation.  QB's have quick hands so maybe he will add another offensive weapon for Tom, can he be trained to be a running back?   Special teams?  He would be a good KO or punt return guy.

Belichick love versatile guys who aren't afraid to play out of their known comfort zone.  If Tim Tebow is willing to become a student of the game and learn to play in multiple situations, I can see him being an asset to Tom. 

At the very least, he'll sell a lot of jerseys and if he plays well, it will make the Jets crazy ;)

The thing I don't get about Tebow is that everyone who knows football has said the same thing: he's not equipped to be a QB, make him a KR, RB or FB... but no team has done it.  At least not in a game that I've seen.  So maybe the Pats will be the first team to put their money where their mouth is?  Heck, considering his build the guy could probably play LB or SS.  Special teams is a good guess, but he'd have to sign cheap for that.  Or at least he would for most teams... I'm not sure how frugal the Patriots are.  But it would have to be a better deal than any Canadian football team would offer.  Also, it would have to be better than any offer from an Arena Football team could offer.  That's not much, I know, but he wants to be a QB and he'd be HUGE in Arena Football.  Especially with Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa Bay.

The Jets... oh my, what a franchise.  You're lucky to have them as rivals... they just can't get out of their own way.

Rex Ryan alone provides enough bulletin board material to empower the Patriots to at least 2 more Superbowls :lol:

It is a fun rivalry between NY and Boston, Yankees included.