The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

NFL Thread 2013

Go Steelers....shhhhhhhh.....hehe :dance:

Edit: Well done Steelers, thank you for shutting Rex Ryan's rather large mouth :thumbsup:

Now.....

Lets go Green Bay!!!!

tale of 2 halves, roughing kicker in 3rd killed them [the jets] and why are they throwing at the goal line, they came up empty.. im giants fan by the way.. congrats to steelers and packers , should be a shoot them up super bowl.. i say pack 31-27p.s same as pats game [sorry tsa[ jets go 8 minutes no score..like the pats did.. they had a litle more urgency near end of game the jets i mean another p.s i think rodgers will shread pitt secondary, but no one improvises better than big ben

Well tomorrow's the big game boys and girls. Personally I hope the Packers win, Pittsburgh has two in the last 5 years. Now I used to be a fan when Bill Cowher was their coach, but he's not there anymore and the fact that like half of Pittsburgh moved here in that time frame and never take their Steelers stuff off prompts me to say, Go Pack Go!.

I know we have some Vikings fans on here, but congrats to the Packers. Now if Philip Rivers can get a ring I'd be a happy man.

Well I guess now we wait for a couple of things, one will there be a season this fall?, two, who will the Panthers take with the #1 pick?, and 3, can we finally just have recordings of the national anthem played and forget the pop artists singing it?

Letter from commissioner Roger Goodell to the NFL players:

Dear NFL Player:

As you know, negotiations between the NFL Players Association and the clubs have not led to an agreement. Last Friday, the NFLPA walked out of the federal mediator's offices in Washington, told us that it had abandoned its right to represent you as a union, and filed a lawsuit. Some hours later, the clubs instituted a lockout.

The clubs believe that there is only one way to resolve our differences, and that is through good faith collective bargaining in an atmosphere of mutual respect and open communication. We have said publicly, told the federal mediator, and say to you that we are prepared to resume those negotiations at any time.

We want you to understand the offer that we made to the NFLPA. The proposal was made to avoid a work stoppage. Each passing day puts our game and our shared economics further at risk. We believe the offer presented a strong and fair basis for continuing negotiations, allowing the new league year and free agency to begin, and growing our game in the years to come.

Here are the key elements of our proposal:

• A salary cap for 2011 that would avoid a negative financial impact on veteran players. We offered to meet the Union at the mid-point between our previous offer and the Union's demand. Under our offer, 2011 salary and benefits would have been set at $141 million per club, and projected cash spending would have been as high or higher than in either 2009 or 2010. By 2014, salary and benefits would have been set at $161 million per club. In other words, player compensation would increase by as much as $20 million per club by 2014.

• Free agency for players with four or more accrued seasons and reduced draft choice compensation for restricted free agents.

• Extensive changes in off-season work requirements that would promote player health and safety, encourage players to continue their education, and promote second career opportunities. The off-season program would be reduced by five weeks, OTAs would be reduced from 14 to 10 days, helmets would be prohibited for the first five weeks of workouts, and rules prohibiting "live" on-field contact would be strictly enforced.

• Changes in preseason and regular season practices and schedules that would reduce the number of padded practices, reduce the amount of contact, and increase the number of days off for you and other players.

• Commit to retain the current 16-game regular season format for at least the next two seasons, and further commit not to change to an 18-game regular season without the Union's agreement.

• Expand injury guarantees for players. The clubs offered to guarantee up to $1 million of a second year of your contract if you are injured and cannot return to play.

• For the first time, players and families would be able to purchase continuing coverage in the player medical plan after retirement for life, and could use their health savings account benefit to do so.

• Enhanced retirement benefits for pre-1993 players. More than 2,000 former players would have received an immediate increase in their pensions averaging nearly 60 percent, funded entirely by the owners.

• A new entry-level compensation system that would make more than $300 million per draft class available for veterans' pay and player benefits. The new system would preserve individual negotiations - not a wage scale - and would allow players drafted in rounds 2 through 7 to earn as much or more than they earn today.

• Significant changes in disciplinary procedures, including a jointly-appointed neutral arbitrator to hear all drug and steroid appeals.

Working together, players and clubs have made the game great. Our fans want us to find common ground, settle our differences, and come to a fair agreement. I have met with many of you since becoming Commissioner. You know of my great respect and admiration for you as men and as players. We need to come together, and soon.

In that spirit, we are prepared to negotiate a full agreement that would incorporate these features and other progressive changes that would benefit players, clubs, and fans. Only through collective bargaining will we reach that kind of agreement. Our goal is to make our league even better than it is today, with the benefits shared by all of us.

I hope you will encourage your Union to return to the bargaining table and conclude and new collective bargaining agreement.

Sincerely,

Roger

When these guys can perform open heart surgery or something useful beyond a sport I might feel bad for them.

Until then one super stars salary could save about a ton of teaching jobs per county in NC. (or insert your favorite public service which is currently being crapped on during this economy)

Edited by legend-1

Judge rules NFL lockout illegal- halts lockout

Players including MVP quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning filed the injunction request along with a class-action antitrust lawsuit against the NFL shortly before the lockout began March 11.

And the league appeals the decision before the ink dries to attempt to re-instate the lockout. This is certainly not going to win over the fans. I'm not sure the league really has any idea what they are doing. This is starting to get ridiculous. The owners will regret this move as they lose billions in revenues.

I heard on ESPN Radio that Steve Wyche says the two sides will come to an agreement in the next three weeks. I hope he's right... I don't like the idea of an 8 game season.

Last night NESN reported they were very close to ending the lock out but then I read this today:

Appeals Court backs lock out, tosses judges ruling

Season is set to start Aug 7th, they're cutting this pretty close. This has really gotten ugly and is costing them millions. I hope the NHL and MLB are taking notes. I could care less about the NBA and since they're not getting half the coverage with their lock out, it appears that others feel the same as I do.

I could care less about the NFL. Commercials (I know they pay the bill) turn an hour of clock time into about 20 minutes worth of action. It takes over three hours to complete a game.

Owners approve new CBA and labor deal Players are supposed to go to vote today but may not because they think the league snuck in some language to the new CBA. Apparently they were supposed to settle the litigation and global settlements first then work on the CBA but the owners pushed ahead and the league approved. The NFLPA says the new CBA violates federal labor laws.

This is still an absolute mess and now the Hall of Fame game on Aug 7th has been cancelled. Not really a big deal but they're getting closer to losing some regular season games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6768521/nfl-lockout-owners-players-agree-rookie-wage-system-sources-say

Interesting first week now in the books. Dolphins are the only team in the AFC to lose, all 4 NFC South teams lose, Tony Romo looked like....Tony Romo and the Carolina Panthers had a huge coming out party for their new rookie QB.

Pats offense looked great but the defense looked a little shaky at times. Not bad for the first game, things should tighten up next week. Brady to Welker for 991/2 yds.....wow, just wow.

NFL: Five things we learned in week one

0-4... Oh yeah, the NFC South is in trouble... sarcasm alert :RedLamp:

All this time I thought this Tom Brady guy was a character from that TV show the Brady Bunch. You mean to tell me that he's a real person? Seriously, I drafted him in my fantasy football league for the third straight season - he's won me a LOT of games. It's funny, I had the third QB pick and Brady was still available! OK... people who grabbed up Manning are crying in their pillows about now.

Things should get very interesting in a hurry. Among those 4 NFC South losses were two playoff teams from last year, Atlanta and New Orleans, although they both lost to playoff teams from last year, Chicago and Green Bay.

The Chargers won week one? What? Lets see if they can keep that going.. the 0-4 starts every year have killed them. Yes, I'm biased since I'm from NC State, but people can finally give Rivers the respect he deserves when he finally wins a Super Bowl. Eli didn't even earn his but he's the greatest thing since sliced bread..

I think Carolina should have a good game this week against Green Bay, but not good enough to win, but if we can play like this all season we have a chance, especially against the hobbled AFC South. We can beat the Jags (and maybe even the now-neutered Colts). Carolina has the hardest schedule in the league this year, so I don't expect a miracle. 5-6 wins, improve on last year and then continue the rebuild into 2012. Sounds good to me.

So, uh, raise your hand if you thought the Buffalo Bills would have the number one scoring offense in the NFL after two weeks. twilight-zone.gif

Not me, thats for sure.

Lions are looking pretty good right now. So is Washington for that matter. Next week's Cowboys-Redskins game should be good.

Edited by captain_jack88

Wow, credit to the Bills for adjusting the game plan and taking it to the Pats in the second half. Guess they are the real deal this year, good wake up call for the Patriots. Tom Brady was humbled, time to get back to work. Round 1 went to the Bills, looking forward to the rematch.

This article title from the Globe made me laugh this morning:

Distressing day, for sure

Our world no longer makes sense. The Patriots can’t even beat the Buffalo Bills anymore.

Congrats Panther fans, what an exciting finish!

"Andy Dalton is every bit as impressive as Cam Newton in the first two weeks." What a joke... I really hope that was meant to be funny.

pass yards rush yards TDs INTs RTG

Cam Newton 1012 98 4 4 85.1

Andy Dalton 570 8 3 2 82.1

Admitting some similarities... and some HUGE differences.

It's hard to believe that that score is a first, too. But, OK. I went to a Panthers vs Bills game that I thought was going to end 7-2... but late in the game the scoring opened up.

Happy that the Panthers were able to hold of the Jaguars, it wasn't looking too promising for a while there. Our running game seems to be oddly anemic. I think we got a shot at beating the bears as well. Still will be a tough game, but I think its possible with a little bit of wind in our sails. Seems to be working for the Lions and Bills anyways :crossfingers:

Seems to be working for the Lions and Bills anyways :crossfingers:

It seems that the meek are indeed inheriting the Earth... who would have thought these teams would be doing so well?

You are right - the Panthers barely made it this week. I missed the Packers game in week two, but from what I've seen, Newton and the guys look like a franchise reborn.

I, too am concerned with the lack of a running game. It's so out of place, I'm used to seeing a run-run-pass team. Now, it's pass-pass-pass, maybe run a couple times a drive. Is this the future or just a byproduct of the specific defenses we've played against these first three weeks? I expect it's the change of offense coordinatior that has a change in offensive style... so this is probably the way it will be from now on. I guess that means we need to release/trade either Stewart or Williams... why keep both if there isn't need for both of them? I hate to say it because I LOVE DoubleTrouble, but it seems that they are a component of the past. And Newton is the future.