The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Out of Town Scores 2010-11

Holy cow, Bruins were getting shut out 2-0 and then scored 3 goals in about 2 minutes to go ahead and win it.

Marc Recchi with the game winner. Ok, now the Bruins need to lose again.

Holy cow, Bruins were getting shut out 2-0 and then scored 3 goals in about 2 minutes to go ahead and win it.

Marc Recchi with the game winner. Ok, now the Bruins need to lose again.

It was worth it to seen the Pens meltdown. On the bright side were only 10 points behind Pittsburgh.

Watching NHL On the Fly and the Shark's Logan Couture just took a bad knee on knee hit from Colton Orr. Looked pretty bad.

I swore I wasn't going to scoreboard watch until after after I saw where this team stood at the All Star break, but since we are so close I can't help myself. If the Canes can leap frog either Atlanta and/or Montreal by the end of the month, they'll be in. Although any surge could get us in after that, I'd much rather be in defending my playoff spot than trying to leap frog teams just to get in.

The next stretch of games leading up to the All Star break are about as critical as they get with 16 possible points available. Yes, its still early and lots of things can happen but this point run has at least given me some hope. If they go on a losing streak, I promise to delete this thread and not jinx the team with pre playoff speculation anymore. ;)

Can they do it?

Well, I think they can definitely catch ATL and MTL. Both have some tough games before the ASG break as well. We have more games scheduled than ATL, so that's doable. We just can't lose too much ground on those below us during this stretch.

Well, I think they can definitely catch ATL and MTL. Both have some tough games before the ASG break as well. We have more games scheduled than ATL, so that's doable. We just can't lose too much ground on those below us during this stretch.

Agreed, they definitely need to beat the Sabres, Leafs and Isles. Can't give them any hope of catching us.

It is early to scoreboard watch but I have found myself doing it since Christmas. I agree if we come out of the next stretch of games before the ASG in 8th place or better we have a real good shot at the playoffs. If we are within 5 or 6 points of 8th place we have a shot.

I think the test will come after we drop a game and how we rebound (or not) in the following game.

If we are above the line before ASG I think we will have a shot at winning the southeast.

For now it is one eye on the game and the other eye on the scoreboard.

I am just now starting to watch the scoreboard. Nothing like a winning streak and inching closer and closer to a playoff spot to do that to you.

As to whether we can make a playoff spot, no doubt. We're almost there already.

Only 2 things would definitely keep us out: a losing streak, Cam not 100%. But this team hasn't had a losing streak more than 3 games all year.

We have a couple of tough games, but nothing impossible. We play no rested teams back to back. The Boston back to back and the Pittsburgh game are the only 3 that are significantly hard. Since it's a home-home Boston has only the advantage of being a top team. But Boston is playing Philly then Pittsburgh then us. Maybe a let down on that weird Monday afternoon game?

Tampa is good, but they are still a net minus team and beatable especially in Raleigh.

NYR also good, but again, in Raleigh.

Toronto and home and the Islanders on the road should be W's.

The Buffalo game is the end of the 10 games I predicted a streak. (Got that one). Those were relatively easy.

The next 7 till the All Star break is a very nice intermediate test. We're playing a lot of games, but so is everyone else. 4 of 7 at home. the only back to back is a home/home. The quality of opponent is very good for 3 games, good for 2 games, and bad for 2.

At Pittsburgh and at Boston are the only ones that would be solid upsets, but they are offset by the home games and the two cellar dwellers.

In short a very middle of the road schedule maybe 6/10 in difficulty. I don't see us winning all 7, but take Buffalo then, 4 of those 7 and it would be 5/8 which would likely slip us in. If we keep playing well that definitely could happen.

^ Scoreboard watching, not schedule watching :). You've got the latter nailed!

I say no, but simply root for 2 point games and not for/against any team. Who knows where everyone will wind up. However, fact is Canes merit scoreboard watching. You know they're watching out for the Canes!

As fas far as the scoreboard and the Canes go, I look alot at our home vs. road record. Would like to see our home record improve a bit.

For me, it's way too early for any predictions, lot's of hockey left. At this point making the cut line doesn't mean too much, particularly with 41 games left. Staying there or close does.

But, with the recent moves JR has made to acquire White, Bodie and Carter, and the results since that time, my expectations and hopes have gone up. The team seems close to finding itself.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Guess I should have been more specific, I was talking about the nightly scoreboard not the schedule. Its still very early but its fun watching other games and rooting for who can help the Canes the most with the standings. Last year at this time, the most fun we could come up with was challenging the Edmonton fans to a race for the #1 draft pick, at least this season we haven't already killed our playoffs chances with a 14 game "winless streak."

Oh and for the record, not getting the #1 pick worked out pretty good for us ;)

I keep an eye on the scoreboards anyways, so it just makes it more interesting when it actually effects our standing for a change :D

Edited by Ichigo-1

Pens are leading the Habs 4-2. If this score holds, a win tomorrow for us will be HUGE.

Tampa 3-0 over the Caps in the 3rd, so hopefully no OT in that game.

No OT is about the best we can hope for for the Caps/Lightning.

Go Pens!

Pens 5 Habs 2

Bolts 3 Caps 0

Decent night for us scoreboard watchers ;)

The Caps are really struggling to adjust to a new system, lets hope they don't find themselves anytime soon.

Bruins beat the Flyers 6-5...scoring the winner with just over a min to go.

We lose, so don't gain any points on Habs or Trash....let's hope for a loss for them on Friday.

nj 4-1 over tampa in 2nd.. love this.. canucks 3-1 over caps after 2.. love that.. tharashers no score with flyers in 2nd.

updatw canucks 3-2 over caps 5 mins to go, nj 4-2 after 2 over tb, and atl-phila 2-2, love to have the trifecta tonight :thumbsup:

updatw canucks 3-2 over caps 5 mins to go, nj 4-2 after 2 over tb, and atl-phila 2-2, love to have the trifecta tonight :thumbsup:

unusual night in that the Caps, Bolts, and Trash all lost in regulation

Oh those wacky NHL Refs (not Ref 107 of course). Chara high sticks Dupuis AND teammate (Kampfer?) in the same play. Teammate gets bloodied and Dupuis gets 4 minutes for high sticking.

Odd, well yes. Fleury vacates the goal for extra skater and Pens have possession with no whistle. Ref sees blood and re-writes history.

Canes fans, can you say Tim Gleason or Erik Cole?

Oh those wacky NHL Refs (not Ref 107 of course). Chara high sticks Dupuis AND teammate (Kampfer?) in the same play. Teammate gets bloodied and Dupuis gets 4 minutes for high sticking.

Odd, well yes. Fleury vacates the goal for extra skater and Pens have possession with no whistle. Ref sees blood and re-writes history.

Canes fans, can you say Tim Gleason or Erik Cole?

Tim Gleason or Erik Cole. :grin:

Bad reffing happens to every team. Its an epidemic this season, as if Brad Watson clones are all over North America. :pullhair:

From the Bruins Blog:

15:00 Bruins have just announced that Steve Kampfer, who headed to the locker room in the first minute of the second period after getting cut by a high stick, will not return to today's game.

11:41, Bruins 2, Penguins 2 -It's a new game: two goals in 13 seconds for the B's. First, on the heels of Rask's great stop on Malkin, Dennis Seidenberg capitalizes on a strong shift from Campbell's line, cranking a shot from the left point that beats Marc-Andre Fleury, with the help of a screen from Daniel Paille, at 11:28.

Thirteen seconds later, Michael Ryder's wrister from the slot ties the game at two.

9:20 - Bruins' giveaway sends Malkin across the blue line alone, but Rask stands up to Malkin's shot, and appears to get a piece of his glove on the rebound to deflect it into the corner.

4:40 - Bruins fail to cash in on the 4-minute power play.

0:57 - Dupuis back on the scoresheet, this time with a double minor for high sticking after raking Steve Kampfer in the face, drawing blood.

Not a word about Chara.

bad news on the ATL/FLA game in that the Trash score two goals with their goalie pulled to send the game into OT and win the game in a SO.