The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Carson and Pogge waived

Per TSNs waiver wire list/McKenzie: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

McKenzie: "BTW, Pogge played very well in camp. He and Justin Peters battled hard for backup spot. Canes believe Pogge is back on track, a prospect."

Sounds like competition for the #2 goalie slot, which is always good, and not something we've had regularly in recent years.

I think a lot of us wish Carson were staying in place of Harrison, but Carson's two-way deal makes this inevitable...for now. Let's see what Harrison can do. Wonder if Carson is kicking himself for turning down the one-way?

i thought after last year that carson would been here as a solid 5/6 pairing. he played quite a few games, was on track to stay with the club, but he got greedy evidently, and that cost him a 1 way

Bummer about Carson, but frankly we need some muscle and Harrison can provide that more than Carson can. I still think Harrison is a waste out there, though. I guess we'll see how things shake out. I expect we'll see some of Carson and Sanguinetti in the lineup at some point.

I suspect POS will be next player waived (since Mo loves playing him 9 minutes on the 4th line). :shakeshead:

This will happen probably when Sammy and Tiusty return. Both have one-way contracts, while POS has a two-way contract.

Very unfortunate - if this happens. :thumbdown:

Patrick has the skillset but he hasn't done himself any favors with his play defensive play when he was on the ice for these two games. Contracts supersede play in these cases though. I'd rather he get some top line minutes in Charlotte than be stuck on the 4th. Sammy deserves 4th line time these days and Tlusty is up in the air. The bottom line is, there aren't enough roster spots; someone has to go down. I would much rather see Carson in Harrison's spot though. That bugs me more than the logjam at forward.

I really believe alot of folks are overrating Sully because he's from NC. Just saying...

He's gotta prove something before you stick a kid who was -30 last year on the first line.

I pray Carson makes it through waivers. I understand the business side, but if we lose him to waivers JR needs a smack. Harrison needs to go. I'll even sign the paperwork if JR doesn't want to.

Carson goes because he will get more quality time in Charlotte and yes because he has a 2-way. i think before the season is over Carson will be back. O'Sullivan deserves a better chance but he could end up in Charlotte. I hope not but a real probability.

I really believe alot of folks are overrating Sully because he's from NC. Just saying...

He's gotta prove something before you stick a kid who was -30 last year on the first line.

I pray Carson makes it through waivers. I understand the business side, but if we lose him to waivers JR needs a smack. Harrison needs to go. I'll even sign the paperwork if JR doesn't want to.

The good news is if a team claims him then he must stay on their active NHL roster. If they waive him then the Canes would have 1st dibs to re-claim him.

This happened last year when the Pens claimed Chris Bourque from Washington. Only to realize that he wasn't ready for the NHL. When the Pens waived him to try to send him to WBS the Caps claimed him and sent him to Hersey.

Although, I would prefer he not get claimed at all, but if he does it may not be the last time we see him with the Canes

Edited by rocheccw

I trust that perhaps the coach and others on this board are seeing something negative in O'Sullivan's play that I am missing. I sure hope so, because he has grade A offensive talent and this is a team that could use that. How quickly people will bail on a guy. BTW I could care less that he was raised in NC. Nice, but largely irrelevant. I rate his offensive skill highly because I've seen it. Put Staal on the 4th line and play him 8 minutes a game and see what numbers he puts up.

Our first line wingers are pretenders to that level. We have Eric "Stone Hands" Cole and Chad LaRose. LaRose is not only not a 1st line player, but they've forced him onto the 1st line out of position. Cole and LaRose have to be the weakest 1st line wing pairing the league. Yes, Skinner is amazing, but first line at 18? We desparately need first line wing talent. We are definitely not going to go out and buy it, and there is O'Sullivan, dirt cheap, high caliber talent, so we don't even give him a shot? It would be one thing if we were loaded on the first line.

Other than Skinner, we have 2 guys on this team that are legitimate first line offensive talents. One is centering the THIRD line (and leading the NHL in points despite that) and one is languishing on the 4th line, while we force a guy onto the 1st line out of position who put up 11 goals last year, and even in his break out year only had 12 assists all year? COME ON!!!! THIS IS MADNESS.

Yes, O'Sullivan sulked around last year and hung up an embarrassing plus minus on the worst team in the league (though no where near as bad as a captain who used to play for us). But he also put up essentially 20 goals his first two years in the league, and was about -6 for the year on teams that were around 4th from last in team plus/minus. I would point out that fan favorite Ray Whitney that a lot of people mourned despite his age, is -100 for his career, including three years around -5 here, and -26 in 03 for Columbus.

I agree the team has to see the stars back check and make smart decisions with the puck, but this team while loaded with good forwards is very short on top end forwards. It makes no sense not to give O'Sullivan a serious look on the top line before shipping him back down.

I am still working on the contention that LaRose and Cole are getting the first look on that line since they've been here so long and that Mo wants to be careful giving Sully too much too soon. But if they send him down and someone else claims him that would instantly turn one of the potentially genius pickups ever into idiocy. I'm betting that the coach has more sense than that.

Edited by remkin

I'll bite. I feel Cole has been playing very well. He brings a nice physical presence/speed to the first line. What I say you do is move LaRose to the 3rd line. Move Sully up to the 1st. Move Bowman down to the 4th. That seems like a reasonable thing to do. Sully is not getting a fair chance. Maybe he is cancer in the locker room? Maybe he is on Mo's bad side? I really have no idea guys......

I'll bite. I feel Cole has been playing very well. He brings a nice physical presence/speed to the first line. What I say you do is move LaRose to the 3rd line. Move Sully up to the 1st. Move Bowman down to the 4th. That seems like a reasonable thing to do. Sully is not getting a fair chance. Maybe he is cancer in the locker room? Maybe he is on Mo's bad side? I really have no idea guys......

Cole plays hard and creates some opportunities, but has lost any ability to finish. His speed and physicality and the occasional nice set up may be works if both of the other forwards are sniper/finishers. Do we have anyone who fits that bill? Hmmm.......

I can live with Cole on the first line, but not Cole and LaRose.

Edited by remkin

Cole plays hard and creates some opportunities, but has lost any ability to finish. His speed and physicality and the occasional nice set up may be works if both of the other forwards are sniper/finishers. Do we have anyone who fits that bill? Hmmm.......

I can live with Cole on the first line, but not Cole and LaRose.

O'Sullivan - Staal - Cole would at least give us a chance to see what O'Sullivan could do. I say do it!

Pure speculation, but I think the hang-up with O'Sullivan is he hangs ahead of the play and isn't responsible defensively. Couple that with Staal not getting back (at times) and the picture is ugly if he's 1st line. Maybe with Jussi or Sutter, but not Staal. He's better than 4th line, or in Charlotte.

As for Cole, the touch isn't there - period. I've watched at Practice where they've worked with him, feeding puck after puck to the goal mouth (after the team's overall workout). He often misses an empty net from 2 feet. He'd be better off screening the goalie and then swatting at anything that lands in his feet. From those drills it tells me the coaches know what many are saying here.

About the only use Cole has is to park it in front of the goalie and screen him and look for tip ins. But he doesn't do that, and we don't have many guys who can control the puck long enough for him to get in position. I'm just not convinced that Cole is wiling to do the dirty work to get goals, and I'm sure he doesn't have th skill to snipe them in any longer. He's a much better fit on the 4th line with K-Stop and laRose/Dwyer.

Has Cole really played that well? His one assist came because he whiffed on a shot and it went to Babchuk who lifted a nice backhander over the goalie. I think Larose has given us more effort and energy on the forecheck than Cole but I could be biased considering I like Larose better than Cole. Honestly, its gonna be hard to change the lines much. You need to have balanced scoring on 3 lines or teams will just send out their top shutdown D everytime the first line goes out. Are Cole and Larose 1st liners? No. But if Staal gets hot it won't matter....Eric can score goals with Mighty Mites. And as bad as the first line looks right now offensively....they aren't giving up goals. Something you probably can't say if PSO joins the line.

Edited by youngfan9886

It's not enough for the top line to be a defacto checking line that is at least not giving up goals.

If POS is really going to be a turnover machine, then he won't work out. But if you watch a series of games you will see a series of turnovers from many players, even the best players.

I just think with our utter lack of legitimate first line wingers (other than our third line center), that the risk/benefit ratio strongly favors giving O'Sullivan a shot there. Not only might he net a bunch of goals, but could help get Staal going. Ultimately we should just give Dalpe a run at third line center and get the Juice back up on the first line also.

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but can someone explain to me the difference between a turnover and a giveaway? All the talk about O'Sullivan makes me wonder. I watched him play in both games and I don't see all the horrible defensive play everyone is talking about. Others on the team have recorded giveaways (from NHL.com stats), guys like Bowman, Cole, Corvo, Jokinen, McBain, Pitkanen, Ruutu and Staal all have 2 giveaways each - everyone else, including O'Sullivan, have zero.

It is telling that every team in the league could have had Carson for nothing and all of them passed. With his league minimum NHL salary, cap space shouldn’t have been an issue. Obviously, none of the 29 other teams in the league feel that he is a Top 7 guy. Keep in mind that several teams have already sustained injuries to d-men and still did not feel that Carson added anything to their team.

Obviously, the above does not mean that he is total garbage. He is a prospect, and a legitimate one, but he should not be a regular in the Top 6. Of course, you can probably argue that Harrison, McBain, and possibly Babchuk should not either…