The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Manwolf

Forward Lines and Power Play v2010-11

With 2 Wins under their belts the Canes still seem like a work-in-progress for wingers and centers. Many of us have commented about the Forwards (or entered the pre-season contest) leading up to this season. Now there are comments in several other threads with the season underway. The first practice back from Helsinki on 10/10/10 was closed to the public...Hmmm.

This thread is meant to carry us "Forward" in 2010-11. There will be suggested changes due to injuries, trade deadline rumors, player performance, your favorite combo, etc.

I'll start this off by saying what many have already: That Staal needs top flight wingers, and a suitable 3rd line center must be found, where Jussi gets reacquainted with Staal.

Will Skinner stay past 9 games? Who will surprise, or disappoint, in 2010-11?

Say it here!

Modified this thread on 2/28/11 to now include Power Play.

Edited by Manwolf

Yeah, I agree Jussi needs to be reunited with Staal on the first line. We HAVE to get Staal going. Thats not to say that LaRose and Cole have been bad. I love the energy LaRose brings, and Cole actually does not look bad at all this year; yeah, he missed some opportunities but man does he look quick.

I have also really liked the play of Dalpe. He really seems to be getting involved and doesn't seem to be worried about making a mistake.

I'm not even going mention how great Skinner looks already..

Jokinen Staal Cole

Skinner Sutter Ruutu

Bowman Dalpe Larose

Sammy Dwyer Kstop

I think O'Sullivan gets sent to Charlotte because of the 2-way deal, but will later be brought back up once deals are made.

There is not a chance that sully will clear waivers...

O'Sullivan-Staal-Cole

Skinner-Jokinen-Rutuu(This line is producing why change it?)

Sammy-Sutter-Larose

Dwyer/Bowman-Dalpe-K-stop

Edited by bluedevil58

Would O'Sullivan have to clear waivers?

Yes, he would.

O'Sullivan Staal Cole

Skinner Sutter Ruutu

Samsonov Jokinen LaRose

Dwyer Dalpe Kostopoulos

Tlusty

Notes:

1. As much as I think Jokinen would be more productive on Staal's wing, this team has a lack of bona fide centers. Perhaps, if O'Sullivan does not work out on the first line, Jokinen can take his spot, Dalpe can center the thrid line and Dwyer- though not a natural center- can center the fourth.

2. I have no idea where to put Tlusty once he comes back, especially since it looks highly probable that Skinner sticks with the NHL squad. Maybe he becomes the 13th forward and rotates in and out of the lineup based on performance and health.

A bit of a dilemma I would say. Sutter has been doing good with his line. The Jokinen line has done well so do you mess with that. that leaves first line or fourth line unless you begin making major line shifts. I have no idea where Tlusty fits in.

Maybe Sammy goes to first line, LaRose goes to right wing on the Sutter line and Dwyer centers the fourth line. That leaves Dalpe odd man out for a few games.

Edited by OBXer

I think O'Sullivan gets sent to Charlotte because of the 2-way deal, but will later be brought back up once deals are made.

:facepalm2:

No way in hell he clears waivers.

How can anybody even consider getting rid of him after watching him play thus far. He's clearly making the best out of playing on the 4th line and averaging 9 minutes a game.

Just imagine how much better off the team would be if he had some descent linemates and plays some decent minutes.

If Mo continues playing him on the 4th line - :bangHead:

Jokinen-Staal-Cole

Skinner-Sutter-Ruutu

LaRose-Dwyer-Kastopoulos

Sammy-Dalpe-O'Sullivan

I like these lines except Sammy Dalpe Sully needs to be the 3rd line.

Larose Dwyer Kstop 4th line.

I think Dalpe would be fine as our third line center. Really like what I have seen from him.

Skinner needs to be on either Staal or Sutter's wing!

Waiver status depends on age, games played, and when the player signed his first NHL contract. It is explained in more detail here: http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Coach Mo has said that he'd like to keep Skinner on a stable line - with Jokinen acting as a mentor - to help him adjust. Considering things are going rather well with that line, I really don't see it changing anytime soon.

I also expect that, if/when everyone is healthy, Bowman and Dalpe will be in Charlotte, leaving a line-up something like:

O'Sullivan/Samsonov - Staal - Cole

Skinner - Jokinen - Ruutu

Samsonov/O'Sullivan - Sutter - LaRose

Tlusty - Dwyer - Kostopoulos

Whether Samsonov or O'Sullivan is with Staal will likely depend on chemistry. In the past, Samsonov with Staal has only been passable. I am hoping O'Sullivan works out better. Mo has said he knows O'Sullivan needs skilled line-mates to play up to his potential, so I expect he will get that chance. He may stay on the fourth line to work on his defensive game under less pressure until Tlusty is ready, though, which will keep Bowman off the fourth line.

Like others, I prefer Jussi as a winger------but right now he is working well with Skinner. AND he is our best faceoff

person right now as far as consistency. Like Cullen, he is a tremendously versatile team player!

I also thought I read where Mo said something about wanting to keep the lines stable for a number of games (10-15) to help

the younger players adjust to NHL play and see some consistency. Did anyone else read that? I can't remember where I read that, so I can't site the quote. But I did hear Skinner highly praise his linemates in the post shootout interviews. I doubt we will see Jussi moved for a while.

It just confuses me what the plan is for O'Sullivan. He is not a fourth line player. But they will be fun to watch.

GO CANES !!

Edited by UNCCaniac8

No one has mentioned it, but I'm interested in seeing young Skinner given a shot at center -- his natural position. He could be a big boost to that third line, like a young Jordan Staal did for Pittsburg, making the Canes top 3 lines solid and young up the middle. I can't find OHL stats to back it up, but several scounting sites decribe Skinner by saying "his skill in the face-off circle is impressive." If we need something in our Centers, it is that!

There is no way I would send Dalpe down right now. He had a great camp, & he has played we'll in his roll. I'd rather send down Dwyer.

I absolutely hated that they sent Sutter down last year after he had an great camp. Just because of the two way contract.

I believe you keep, and play the best players. Did the Canes learn nothing from last year?

Of course, I would rather leave Dalpe & Bowman in, and Samsonov & Tlusty in the press box.

Right now I love who is in(except for Harrison). I just don't like Mo's lines.

But what do I know 2-0 is 2-0.

Who stays and who goes will be 100% related to contract status and age/tenure.

No way does a player with a 1 way contract get waived and sent to Charlotte unless the team wants him to be claimed after completely giving up on him (O'Sullivan in a few weeks).

O'Sullivan Staal Cole

Skinner Sutter Ruutu

Sammy Jokinen LaRose

Dwyer Dalpe K-Stop

OR

O'Sullivan Staal Jokinen

Skinner Sutter Ruutu

LaRose Dalpe Cole/Sammy

Cole/Sammy Dwyer K-Stop

I think you pretty much nailed my thoughts. Sully MUST get a shot on the top line (are you reading this MO?), and ideally we would get Jokinen back up there also.

The other issue I have is that long term, and cost wise, it makes sense to get as many of our prospects on the third and 4th line as possible. So, hopefully we are eventually able to have confidence in Bowman, Dalpe, Tlusty et all, and trade Cole/Sammy . We just have a log jam especially at wing.

So, I think you have it for the short term. About 20-30 games in I would hope for:

O'Sullivan Staal Jokinen

Skinner Sutter Ruutu

Tlusty Dalpe LaRose

Bowman Dwyer KStop

With Bowman/Tlusty and possibly LaRose rotating off the 4th line depending on play.

from the O'Sullivan set to sign 2-way contract with the Hurricanes thread

i agree remkin. cole could come down, for the love of *insert flavor of deity that gets you goin* get skinner 1st line cause we all know he's goin there anyways, and here is how i would sort the lines:

Skinner-Staal-Jokinen

O'Sullivan-Sutter-Ruutu

Larose-Dwyer-Cole

Bowman-Kostopoulos-Dalpe

and to be honest if i could find a way to ditch cole i would, even acknowledging the off ice taking kids under the wing and my sentimental attachment. fill his spot with samsonov, and if pos doesn't pan out, move the next guy up from charlotte and cycle up as appropriate. tbh the 2-4 lines could be kind of rolling, moving people in and out to keep the defense guessing, just keeping the centers where they are, but then again, i dont know squat about this stuff and im just armcharing it, lol.

If you believe in the theory that 1st line = 60+ point potential, 2nd line 50+, 3rd line 30-40, and 4th 0-20......then we have a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners who are getting bumped up due to lack of depth. Here is how our lines look if you apply the formula.

? -Staal(70+)- ?

Skinner(40+ potential)- Jokinen(50+ and need a center who can win draws)- Ruutu (50+)

Samsonov (30+ playmaker of the line) - Sutter (40+ Great 3rd line center) - Larose (30+ Good chemistry with Sutter)

Bowman (10+) - Dalpe (10+) - K-stop (15+)

Now Staal can't play by himself so you have to fill some guys there that have potential. Cole(30+) is a 3rd liner at best nowadays but his past history puts him on Staal's line. Now that leaves Sammy(30+), Sully(30+), or Tlusty as the left winger....I see Tlusty as a 15-25 guy so Sully is the obvious choice here. He was a 40 pt guy just 2 years ago. So my lines look like this.

Sully-Staal-Cole

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Sammy-Sutter-Larose

Bowman-Dalpe-Kostopoulos

Tlusty is your best replacement LW. If Sammy or Bowman get injured or don't work out...he can fill in on either the 3rd or 4th line pretty well. If Cole or Ruutu get hurt, you have to put Larose in their spot and Dwyer on the 3rd line...Basically I wanted to keep Jokinen's line intact. It was the only line looking good when we were facing a team that was outworking us. Let me know what you guys think of my projected pt totals. I could be wrong on some players but they seem realistic aside from maybe skinner's.

For now, I 'd go with

Samsonov Staal Ruutu

LaRose Sutter Sully

Skinner Jokinen Cole

Bowman Dalpe KStop

That being said, I think that if he continues to play well over the course of the road trip, I would move Skinner to the top line pretty soon. The kid has just too much talent and his energy is just incredible. We always hear of the need for a guy to help Staal get going as Cole did with before he got hurt. Skinner is the guy to do that and I think its just a matter of time before he's up at the top line. For now, I take Sammy with his speed and creativity to compliment Ruutu and Staal with their power and speed. I'd also give some thought to letting Sully center the 3rd line and Jussi to move to RW.

Was nice seeing Skinner with Staal for tail end of Sens loss. I'd still prefer to see Jussi on the top line, and using him as a 3rd line Center is still a problem. Hopefully the alleged Press Conference for today, or moving some players, will allow for Jussi to join Staal.

Is the alleged press conference / trade rumor real?

Really don't want the Canes to give up on any of our young players. The Canes have never had so much good young prospects. It would be ashame to trade them out for mediocre defensive help, or some other teams just OK third line center. Even if it was a stay at home defensive dman(that we need) I don't think I would pull the trigger this early in the season.

I would rather move Dalpe to third line center. Then move Jokinen to 1st line wing, & Dwyer to 4th line center. Larose would take Dwyer's 3rd line spot.

My Lines:

Jokinen Staal Cole

Skinner Sutter Ruutu

Samsonov Dalpe Larose

Bowman Dwyer Kstop

Edited by rocheccw