The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Manwolf

Forward Lines and Power Play v2010-11

Yeah, I like LaRose with Carter and Bodie, but I don't see Maurice sticking LaRose down there for more than a few shifts.

Thing is, LaRose has "made things happen" behind the goal recently. He's picked up a couple of assists. That's enough to keep him in a top 9 rotation.

As for who sits when Tlusty and Jokinen are both healthy....my money is on Carter. Odd man out. I don't see JR waiving anyone just yet. He's going to want to turn them into a draft pick, no matter how late a round before giving anyone away.

As for who sits when Tlusty and Jokinen are both healthy....my money is on Carter.

Preview for tonight's game says Tlusty's on IR, so he's definately out for awhile and probably another "conditioning stint" in Charlotte before he gets the chance to come back up. I think the team is playing it safe with Jokinnen as Dalpe and Boychuck have played quite well.

Carter stays in as the 4rd line center unless we move Dwyer into that slot but he does not have the grit that Carter's shown and Carter is a much better option on the PK.

Maybe Dalpe/Dwyer on the 3rd line, LaRose playing 2rd and Samsonov on the 4th with Bodie and Carter.

Boychuck Staal Cole

LaRose Skinner Ruutu

Dalpe Sutter Dwyer

Samsonov Carter Bodie

I guess we'll see what Mo' has in store tonight.

LaRose needs to pick up his game. Being a fan favorite may not be enough to carry him.

How can you say this about our top All Star? grin.gif

Tonight's lines per Chip...

Staal with Cole, Boychuk;

Ruutu at center with Skinner, LaRose;

Sutter with Dwyer, Dalpe

So I guess that means Sammy on the 4th...

Mo Says he wants Tuomo at Center tonight because of his physicality

Tonight's lines per Chip...

Staal with Cole, Boychuk;

Ruutu at center with Skinner, LaRose;

Sutter with Dwyer, Dalpe

So I guess that means Sammy on the 4th...

Mo Says he wants Tuomo at Center tonight because of his physicality

Interesting to see what Bouchuk will do on that top line.

Also, I keep hearing Trip talk about how much better Ruutu is on wing. Might try Skinner in the middle at some point tonight.

Poor Sammy. So much skill, but just seems to fade in and out.

I like seeing the future of the team (Boychuk, Sutter, Skinner, Dalpe) up there. Maybe throw Dalpe up with Ruutu and Skinner, drop LaRose to the third.

Let's see if the kids can continue to bring it. If so, the future looks bright.

How can you say this about our top All Star? grin.gif

Nice!

Maybe Dalpe/Dwyer on the 3rd line, LaRose playing 2rd and Samsonov on the 4th with Bodie and Carter.

Boychuck Staal Cole

LaRose Skinner Ruutu

Dalpe Sutter Dwyer

Samsonov Carter Bodie

I guess we'll see what Mo' has in store tonight.

I'd prefer Samsonov with Ruutu and Skinner. I'd love to see Sergei toss the puck in front with Ruutu there and Skinner ready to clean it up.

BTW, has Samsonov played with Skinner, yet? I'd like to see that given Sergei's puck handling skill and Skinner's knack for the goal.

I like the way Boychuk is working on Staal's line. Cole is playing hard, but his inability to finish drives (he didn't even put his breakaway against Lundqvist on net last night!) is hard to swallow. But he's the fastest power forward we have.

I think Sammy is done here. I thought he was done here after last season, but the team brought him back. He just seems to disappear at times, then he'll come on strong with a couple of good games. He dances around too much. He's a much smaller forward in a league that is emphasizing size and speed. I just don't think there's a long-term future here for him when there are so many forwards in Charlotte working for spots on the NHL roster.

LaRose is another one who is struggling. Grit can only take you so far, apparently. I know we were all hoping that that 19 goal season was a springboard, but it may well have been his apex. He loses a lot of battles in corners. I'm wondering whether "fan favorite" means he could replace Tripp in the booth. That would be fun.

Production rates, half way in...

Thought this would be a good time for a quick update.

Like with the other ratings, I have combined even strength and power play stats.

The production rate reflects goals + points per 60 minutes played.

(i.e. goals + points / toi * 60)

(i.e. goals count twice as much as assists.)

I have included the 30 game rate after the 41 game rate, and the equivalent production rate from last season

(after the player's name) for players who were here.

Only one player (Matsumoto) still has less than 100 even strength + power play minutes. Dalpe is just over the cutoff, with 101 minutes, and Boychuk is just ahead of him with 128. While their small sample may be contributing to their hgh ratings, it's still rather impressive.

1st41- 1st30 *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

4.24 - 4.04 Eric Staal (3.88)

4.16 - 1.30 Zac Dalpe

4.09 - 3.62 Jeff Skinner

3.81 - 3.33 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

3.75 - -.-- Zach Boychuk (2.12)

3.42 - 3.16 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

2.77 - 2.69 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

2.68 - 2.24 Erik Cole (2.47)

2.64 - 3.12 *Jon Matsumoto

2.32 - 1.89 Patrick Dwyer (1.57)

2.23 - 2.23 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

1.92 - 2.63 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

1.87 - 2.27 Chad LaRose (2.66)

0.88 - 1.56 Ryan Carter

0.79 - 0.75 Troy Bodie

BTW, has Samsonov played with Skinner, yet? I'd like to see that given Sergei's puck handling skill and Skinner's knack for the goal.

I believe they have been together on a couple of the five-forward power plays. I also remember them paired as the forwards on a 4 on 4. That one resulted in Skinner losing the puck as he was hit along the boards, Samsonov getting knocked down as he went for the loose puck, and a four on two the other way. Perhaps not the best choice, in at lease some circumstances. ;)

A couple things jump out at me from that list.

Staal is a monster. If he wants to complain about the occasional call, whatever.

Dalpe's stats are obviously over too few games, but still....

Skinner is just getting better.

Boychuk is arriving.

Jussi is a playmaker this year, so getting half the points for his assists makes this rating system the worst for him. He's better than this system gives him credit for.

Brandon, what the....the guy is a plus player and is positionally awesome, but he is not producing offense. Not only is he on a 14 goal pace, but he's on a 12 assist pace. Those are not second line center numbers. I still like Sutter a LOT, but with Dalpe and Skinner both natural centers, Sutter better produce a bit more. Is he still injured?

LaRose. Our All-Star is fading. He's just a touch more productive than Sutter but a -7. Like so many I love Chad's energy, but we've got a ton of prospects that can score 15 goals and 16 assists. I would gladly take Chad on our 4th line, but I am starting to wonder about him making a living in the top 9 for much longer. It may come down to LaRose vs. Dwyer for the energy guy.

Edited by remkin

...LaRose. Our All-Star is fading. He's just a touch more productive than Sutter but a -7. Like so many I love Chad's energy, but we've got a ton of prospects that can score 15 goals and 16 assists. I would gladly take Chad on our 4th line, but I am starting to wonder about him making a living in the top 9 for much longer. ....

Why they're not listening to you Remkin is a puzzle to me. Time to call this what it is, where results have to outweigh popularity. At a now minus 10, and with almost no points while on a line with Skinner and Ruutu, he is simply dead weight. If you want a guy who aggitates get a 4th liner. LaRose belonged in the Press Box, not Samsonov, vs Sabres. How he is a top 6 forward is inexcusable.

Heading into 5 tough games IMO Mo should go with:

Jussi-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Ruutu-Skinner

Boychuk-Sutter-Dwyer

LaRose-Carter-Bodie

I only say LaRose since Dalpe was sent down, where I expect him back by year-end once JR acts.

Edited by Manwolf

Production rates, half way plus 10 games in...

Thought this would be a good time to resurrect this thread with a quick update.

Like with the previous ratings, I have combined even strength and power play stats.

I have included the 41 game rate after the 51 game rate, and the equivalent production rate from last season (after the player's name) for players who were here.

Only one player (Matsumoto) still has less than 100 even strength + power play minutes. Dalpe is just over the cutoff, with 112 minutes, and Boychuk is moving up with 204 minutes. With a bit bigger sample, Dalpe's and Boychuk's numbers have come down a bit, but are still pretty good.

1st51- 1st41 *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

4.19 - 4.24 Eric Staal (3.88)

4.14 - 4.09 Jeff Skinner

4.11 - 3.42 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

3.75 - 4.16 Zac Dalpe

3.67 - 3.81 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

3.24 - 3.75 Zach Boychuk (2.12)

2.94 - 2.77 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

2.82 - 2.68 Erik Cole (2.47)

2.64 - 2.64 *Jon Matsumoto

2.29 - 1.92 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

2.23 - 2.23 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

2.16 - 1.87 Chad LaRose (2.66)

2.02 - 2.32 Patrick Dwyer (1.57)

0.92 - 0.88 Ryan Carter

0.57 - 0.79 Troy Bodie

Production rates, with 21 games remaining...

Like with the previous ratings, I have combined even strength and power play stats.

I have included the 51 game rate after the 41 game rate, and the equivalent production rate from last season (after the player's name) for players who were here.

Matsumoto, Samson, Bowman and Brett Sutter have less than 100 even strength + power play minutes. (Bowman and Sutter have no points, so are not listed below.) Dalpe is at 118 minutes. Everyone else has at least 200 minutes.

(And not to worry about Jokinen - he seems to have figured out my ratings just fine.) ;) Unfortunately, only he, Cole, and Tlusty have improved their numbers over the last 10 games.

One interesting note is how many of the veterans are now trending so close to their last season's numbers: Jokinen (4.13 vs 4.19), Staal (3.86 vs 3.88), Ruutu (3.40 vs 3.33) and Samsonov (2.68 vs 2.69).

Cole (2.97 vs 2.47) and Tlusty (2.47 vs 1.86) have significant increases, while Sutter (2.16 vs 3.07) and LaRose (2.00 vs 2.66) have significant decreases from last season.

1st61- 1st51 *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

4.13 - 4.11 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

4.04 - 4.14 Jeff Skinner

3.86 - 4.19 Eric Staal (3.88)

3.56 - 3.75 Zac Dalpe

3.40 - 3.67 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

2.97 - 2.82 Erik Cole (2.47)

2.69 - 2.94 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

2.67 - 3.24 Zach Boychuk (2.12)

2.64 - 2.64 *Jon Matsumoto

2.47 - 2.23 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

2.16 - 2.29 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

2.00 - 2.16 Chad LaRose (2.66)

1.58 - -.-- *Jerome Samson

0.81 - 0.88 Ryan Carter

0.45 - 0.79 Troy Bodie

Ok.. trade deadline has come and gone.. this is what I would like to see done with our lines..

Stillman Staal Cole

Skinner Ruutu Samson

Tlusty Sutter Jokinen

LaRose Dwyer Bodie

Corvo Gleason

Allen Pitkanen

Harrison McBain/Joslin

First of all, Samson: Some may think I'm crazy for putting him in the top six. Heck, maybe I am crazy. But I would like to see this line at least tried out. The Skinner Ruutu LaRose line hasn't been producing lately, and I think Samson has earned this promotion; he creates so many chances. I would have put Jokinen up there, but the Tlusty Sutter Jokien line seems to have some great chemistry. It pains me to put LaRose on the 4th line, but there just isn't any room anywhere else. I still like his play, and I think he brings amazing energy.

Finally, we can put Corvo and Gleason back together. Let's hope Allen and Pitkanen have some chemistry. As for McBain or Joslin? I have no idea; I would like to say to McBain.

Edited by jeromeo87

Ok.. trade deadline has come and gone.. this is what I would like to see done with our lines..

Stillman Staal Cole

Skinner Ruutu Samson

Tlusty Sutter Jokinen

LaRose Dwyer Bodie

Corvo Gleason

Allen Pitkanen

Harrison McBain/Joslin

First of, Samson: Some may think I'm crazy for putting him in the top six. Heck, maybe I am crazy. But I would like to see this line at least tried out. The Skinner Ruutu LaRose hasn't been producing lately, and I think Samson has earned this promotion; he creates so many chances. I would have put Jokinen up there, but the Tlusty Sutter Jokien line seems to have some great chemistry. It pains me to put LaRose on the 4th line, but there just isn't any room anywhere else. I still like his play, and I think he brings amazing energy.

Finally, we can put Corvo and Gleason back together. Let's hope Allen and Pitkanen have some chemistry. As for McBain or Joslin? I have no idea; I would like to say to McBain.

Good idea, but I think you'll see Samson on the 4th line. I like Jokinen either on 1st or 2nd, depending on whether Stillman has the legs to go every game (esp all our back-to-backs) up top. I think LaRose will stick in the top-9, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself on a shift or two with the 4th. His production comes in quick spurts; just not consistent enough of a scorer.

As for D... I propose that McBain sit a game (or two) up the press box and get a bird's eye view of the action. I think he needs to take a breath and watch a game or two, get a feel for it from that perspective. I know that's worked with other players in the past, let's them see things they don't see down on the ice. It's not an indictment of him, but he is still learning, and there are more ways to learn than just sticking him out there every night. I think he's struggled a bit lately. I suspect that he and Joslin will jostle for that last spot for the last couple of weeks here.

Modified this thread on 2/28/11 to now include Power Play.

I went to practice today and couldn't believe my eyes. Francis had the PP on 1/2 the ice while everyone else was on the other side.

Forwards:

1. Stillman, Staal, Jokinen

2. Skinner, Ruutu, Cole

Defense:

1. Corvo, Pitkanen

2. Gleason, McBain

They worked on a couple of new wrinkles on the zone entry while the remainder of the squad sat in the visitors bench. They also worked on a few things with the 1 and 2 units within the blueline.

I'm sure we all pray it works starting 3/1 vs Florida.

Modified this thread on 2/28/11 to now include Power Play.

I went to practice today and couldn't believe my eyes. Francis had the PP on 1/2 the ice while everyone else was on the other side.

Forwards:

1. Stillman, Staal, Jokinen

2. Skinner, Ruutu, Cole

Defense:

1. Corvo, Pitkanen

2. Gleason, McBain

They worked on a couple of new wrinkles on the zone entry while the remainder of the squad sat in the visitors bench. They also worked on a few things with the 1 and 2 units within the blueline.

I'm sure we all pray it works starting 3/1 vs Florida.

Dadgum! Nice report Manwolf, thanks for posting that up.

Dadgum! Nice report Manwolf, thanks for posting that up.

You're welcome. It'll be interesting to see it in game action. You generally see what they practice (zone entry) in games. I'll look for the tweaks they worked on :)

Edited by Manwolf

Yet another line change(s). Skinner with Jokinen and Ruutu. LaRose drops down to third line with Sutter. From what I read the move was made because Jussi is our best faceoff man and to get Skinner back on wing. Also trying to get the Sutter line scoring. Its not a bad move(s) but a little disconcerting that this late in the season we are still making major line shifts. I think we never really replaced Cullen's spot and have paid for it. But if this works we might have three lines with an ability to score.

Yet another line change(s). Skinner with Jokinen and Ruutu. LaRose drops down to third line with Sutter. From what I read the move was made because Jussi is our best faceoff man and to get Skinner back on wing. Also trying to get the Sutter line scoring. Its not a bad move(s) but a little disconcerting that this late in the season we are still making major line shifts. ...

This change was so overdue and it is dumbfounding to understand how it has not happened sooner.

This change was so overdue and it is dumbfounding to understand how it has not happened sooner.

No kidding.

a little disconcerting that this late in the season we are still making major line shifts..

Mo will stop changing lines when he crosses through the pearly gates. Until then... NO LINE IS SAFE!

The thing that gets my dander up is that these line changes are blanketed as improving faceoffs....like that's going to happen in the last 16 games.... maybe PB needs to rethink that headline

Edited by coastal_caniac

I completely agree. Skinner/Jokinen/Ruutu has a lot of skill. That line could produce.

LaRose/Sutter/Tlusty will check and at least has some offensive upside.

Interesting that Jokinen, Skinner and Ruutu have all been centers for this team.

Edited by remkin