The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Rebuild

Looking for general conversation of the rebuilding year. Whats working, whats not and what questions still need to be answered.

2 wins is a lot better then last year so something is working. Cam Ward sure looks like he is healthy and back to form.

Sutter our "young vet" seems to be working. IMO he is playing like a leader. Skinner looks like he will work out but until he has a few more games we can't be sure. I think our defense is still a big question mark and we should know more after this road trip.

Questions:

Can Skinner skate an entire season and maintain the early energy?

Who sits when Samsonov returns (maybe this week)?

Does O'Sullivan break out?

Where does Tlusty fit in to this team

Will this road trip make us or break us?

Edited by OBXer

Looking for general conversation of the rebuilding year. Whats working, whats not and what questions still need to be answered.

2 wins is a lot better then last year so something is working. Cam Ward sure looks like he is healthy and back to form.

Sutter our "young vet" seems to be working. IMO he is playing like a leader. Skinner looks like he will work out but until he has a few more games we can't be sure. I think our defense is still a big question mark and we should know more after this road trip.

Questions:

Who sits when Samsanov returns (maybe this week)?

Answers IMO:

Can Skinner skate an entire season and maintain the early energy? YES!

Who sits when Samsanov returns (maybe this week)? SULLY

Does O'Sullivan break out? Not if he stays on the 4th Line!

Where does Tlusty fit in to this team? The Press Box. I like who we have in the line up, but I don't like Mo's lines.

Will this road trip make us or break us? Hard to say. I expect us to go around .500 on it. But if we dig a deep hole say .250 or less with little to no OT points, or win more than .750 then it could be huge.

Answers IMO:

Can Skinner skate an entire season and maintain the early energy? YES!

Who sits when Samsanov returns (maybe this week)? SULLY

Does O'Sullivan break out? Not if he stays on the 4th Line!

Where does Tlusty fit in to this team? The Press Box. I like who we have in the line up, but I don't like Mo's lines.

Will this road trip make us or break us? Hard to say. I expect us to go around .500 on it. But if we dig a deep hole say .250 or less with little to no OT points, or win more than .750 then it could be huge.

What I like about this team so far is their speed. They look fast.

This team does look really fast.. I love it.

Skinner looks so great already; I expect him to stay all year and be very successful.

I think either Dwyer or Sully sits when Sammy returns. I hope he looks good; if not, put Dwyer or Sully back in.

I hope Sully gets his chance. He isn't getting enough minutes on the 4th line.

Where Tlusty fits in this team is a tough question. I honestly don't see a spot. He would, however, be pretty good trade bait for another defenseman.. Tlusty&Harrison for a good stay at home defesneman..just saying..

Who sits for Samsonov? That's easy, it'll be someone with a two way contract, it's always about the money. Bowman, Dalpe or O'Sullivan.

Skinner is the real deal. He sure seems to have the makeup of a very good NHL player.

Yep. He'll make some rookie mistakes but that is okay. If PK and JR want him on the team - he'll be here.

Who sits when Samsonov returns (maybe this week)?

Like others have said, unfortunately O'Sullivan.

If Mo gives him some time on another line, sure.

In Charlotte. But since Mo sees something no one else in the world does, I guess he'll be on the first line.

After October, the rest of season will be cake...hoping for .500 at the end of the month.

Carson in Charlotte, but Harrison still here....face palm.

Good questions OBXer, I think we'll have at least some of them answered by the end of October.

O'Sullivan is the type of guy I want to see Staal get a chance to play with. Cole and LaRose are fan favorite type of guys, but neither is a first liner. O'Sullivan has the youth and skill set to be one. I say we give him more of a chance to prove himself rather than just on the 4th line and some PP time.

If we didn't have to try and work in guys like Cole and Sammy (I like them both, but I don't know how much offense either can bring at this point) then I wouldn't mind seeing what Tlusty can do, but right now I'd rather see a few other guys get a shot over Tlusty. On another note, Harrison hasn't played terribly so far, but I think we'll see either Carson or Borer get a shot before October is over.

Questions:

Probably not, but it will be fun watching him try. The kid is entertaining when on the ice.

Who sits when Samsonov returns (maybe this week)?Tlusty should. The guy was much less deserving of a one-way deal than Harrison, but Dalpe probably will as he can go back to Charlotte and get big minutes.

I am very skeptical of this. It would be great if he could, but the guy has been an enigma throughout his career.

Doesn’t really. Too much talented youth and too many other players who bring everything he does. We need more role players in the bottom six, not more scoring forwards who can’t score.

Neither. This team is too unpredictable. We could lose a bunch early and then pull it together and still make the playoffs. Or we could come out on fire, tear up the league and go into a tail spin in the second half. All bets are off. Best to just sit back and enjoy.

What's working:

Cam Ward

Brandon Sutter

Jussi Jokinen

Skating and energy

Cam Ward

What's not working:

Cole and LaRose on the first line

O'Sullivan on the 4th line

Face Offs

We got by on one of the few teams routinely picked to be worse than us this year. But moving forward we're going to need a bit less dump and chase, and more fluid offense, especially from our "first" line. I can live with Eric "Stone Hands" Cole for now, but even though I love him and think he'll put up 20 again, Chad LaRose is not a first liner. Skinner surely could be, but that's an awful lot to put on an 18 year old. So who else do we have as first line talent? Bowman? Sammy? Tlusty? Dwyer? Ruutu, passable, but not with Cole.

As some of us pointed out ad nauseum we don't really have any marque wingers, with the possible exception of Jussi Jokinen, who due to our issues at 3rd line center (also previously mentioned) is unavailable, in the current line ups for first line duty. We did not pick up a bonefide top line winger in free agency due to the El Cheapo strategy, and won't soon, so we must use what we have.

So the key is finding anyone, anyone who might have first line talent and at least giving them a shot. Enter O'Sullivan, who has the offensive chops to potentially produce on the top line. Given our current conundrum, it is painfully obvious that he needs to be given that chance (not, as some have suggested, sent down, where he will NOT clear waivers, but be gone). If they want to try not to give him too much too soon, put him on the third line at least. But to send O'Sullivan down with no first line winger on the team, and not at least give him a shot, is nuts. This team goes nowhere if Staal doesn't start scoring.

Skinner will make this team for good. He's that good and already creating more offense than most of our other top 6 forwards. It is already done. Chance of getting sent back to juniors: zero.

Who sits for Sammy? Anyone but O'Sullivan. Probably either Dwyer, Bowman, or Dalpe, and short term possibly Kosto. We have way too many mid range wingers. The question about Tlusty shows this. Skinner's emergence is awesome, but puts even more squeeze on this position. Some one or two wingers need to be traded at some point.

There is a lot to like here. With Ward playing like a top tier goalie, and tons of 2nd and 3rd line talent, and a defense that will score a bunch of goals, if we could just get our top line playing like a top line, look out.

This road trip will make us. Starting out 2-0 and our scrappy style is why. We will scrap out a couple of wins and at least one tie. We need 3 wins in the next 8 games to start the start from hell 5-6. Throw an OT loss in there and we're basically .500. Looking at that schedule, and comparing that to last year, that will make us. Anything more will be gravy.

Edited by remkin

yes, yes he can :rockon:

Who sits when Samsonov returns?

*hopes for it to be cole* tlusty

not on the 4th line. nevah evah :thumbdown:

trade

i dont think so. i think that even the suckage we had last year and we came close to the playoffs should be a testament to that.

Questions:

Can Skinner skate an entire season and maintain the early energy? Doesn't have a choice now, he isn't going back to juniors.

Who sits when Samsonov returns (maybe this week)? Sully, he is the odd man out w/ the 2-way I believe.

Does O'Sullivan break out? If he does, it won't be unless someone else gets hurt and he gets called up.

Where does Tlusty fit in to this team? Guessing 3/4th line as long as he is healthy.

Will this road trip make us or break us? With this young of a team I don't think so. It will be unpredictable all season long regardless of the road trip.

Well what did we find out tonight against the Sens? For me I think Cam Ward is our best player. LaRose looked so much better when he skated off the first line. Sammy can still score and Cole can still skate. Staal gets a goal with Skinner on his line but I'm not sold yet on Skinner skating top line. I do admit Skinner is the real deal. Our defense is iffy at best. This team is a work in progress so I expect to see more changes. Who should skate on Staal's left next game, Skinner, Samsonov or O' Sullivan?

Edited by OBXer

Well what did we find out tonight against the Sens? For me I think Cam Ward is our best player. LaRose looked so much better when he skated off the first line. Sammy can still score and Cole can still skate. Staal gets a goal with Skinner on his line but I'm not sold yet on Skinner skating top line. I do admit Skinner is the real deal. Our defense is iffy at best. This team is a work in progress so I expect to see more changes. Who should skate on Staal's left next game, Skinner, Samsonov or O' Sullivan?

I agree with your points. Ward is going to be the way we make the playoffs.

I think it is no secret, but I think we need to try O'Sullivan on the top line. If it doesn't work, then at least we tried, because unless Dalpe or Skinner are going to releive Jussi of third line center duty, we have no legitimate top line wingers, none. Yes, Skinner could be, but not at 18 in his first year. I absolutely do not get the way we're using O'Sullivan. It may be part of the grand scheme to keep him below the radar and not put too much on him too soon, so we shall see, but to let him go without even trying him on a scoring line is not just head scratching it's scalp gouging. Cole is creating and opening ice, so I can live with him there for a while, but LaRose, not on the first line.

The day the schedule came out I put the Ottawa game as a 90% loss. The whole coming back from a European circus, jet lagged team thing, so I just have to mostly throw this one out. We are going to need to steal a couple of "should lose" points, too bad, we were so close on this one.

Oh and as I pointed out before and elsewhere, just releive Staal of all important face-offs already.

I'd go ahead and put to rest any hopes of O'Sully on the top line. Something's not right in that camp.

Forslund warmed up the rumor mill this morning hinting that there may be a trade in the works.

The most obvious situation puts Jimmy moving prospects (Boychuk, Bowman, Tlusty) for a solid defenseman.

Kaberle anyone?

I'd go ahead and put to rest any hopes of O'Sully on the top line. Something's not right in that camp.

Forslund warmed up the rumor mill this morning hinting that there may be a trade in the works.

The most obvious situation puts Jimmy moving prospects (Boychuk, Bowman, Tlusty) for a solid defenseman.

Kaberle anyone?

Frank Kaberle? :jester:

You may be right about O'Sully. Unless they are slow playing it for some reason, it doesn't make much sense. Just really seemed like such a good pick up. The guy has serious skills and did pretty well his first couple of years in LA. True he went bad last year, but one can hope for a wake up call, sees the light thing. If he's got serious issues between the ears or in the clubhouse, then I get it, but otherwise I would give him a shot.

You mentioned a trade likely to bring defense, which is fine, but nothing to adress our glaring lack of top line talent. And that usually does not come cheap. So the reward to price ratio should outweigh the risk of trying Sully if the issue is on ice.

Is that press conference still on for today?

Edited by remkin

Is that press conference still on for today?

I have to ask, and I do believe you, but where was this info obtained.. didn't see anything mentioned in any blogs or tweets. Maybe a secret PM from secret types ^_^

Hmm... either way :twilight-zone: on what the announcement is... I mean scratching sully would seem like a trade but it could be nothing relating to a trade.

Well,...ummm...I pulled that one out of the same hat as typhoon with his Mo is a LaRose worshiper. :jester:

:popcorn:

Some interesting thoughts but I think we shouldn't overlook the fact that everything is mere speculation at this time.

With Sammy coming back we all knew someone hat to sit out. Anything is possible from nothing whatsoever to something going on within the club that we'll never find out about, Sully's personal issues or something a friend pointed out to me last night, that they might just have wanted to get a final/closer look at Bowman and Dalpe to help them decide who'll stay and who'll go to Charlotte when they return. On the other hand, if JR found a more established and grittier player and move Sammy's or Cole's salary while he is at it, 600k a year for a promising RFA with a two-way might just be the icing on a cake for a trade too. I do agree with everyone though, Sully playing on the 4th line with limited minutes is a waste of good talent.

A trade could be in the works but that is speculative right now. We all know a trade is coming but not sure when. I know our defense looks like it needs help but we really need a center who can win face-offs ( I can hear remkin shouting we should have kept Cullin) and let Jussi get back on wing. An interesting year and it is only 3 games old.

I'm not so sure a trade is imminent. With Dalpe and Bowman not having to clear waivers, I think one of them will go down when Tlusty is ready. They will spend the first couple of months experimenting with the lines, mainly to see where guys like Skinner, Samsonov, Tlusty and O'Sullivan will eventually fit in and where we end up with injuries. I'd see early December as a potential time for movement, not much sooner.

As much as I liked him, keeping Cullen here as a 3rd line center made no sense financially. We did get Nash for him so we did OK there. The biggest loss with him gone is the impact on the PK, he and LaRose had great chemistry there.

The whole thing with Sully could just boil down to giving others opportunities they earned before him. Right now he needs to bide his time and earn his chance, and show a good attitude while doing it. He'll have his chance, and probably sooner rather than later. We are just 3 games into the season, after all. If Mo changed his lines after every game there'd be a lot of griping about that, I reckon. :)

With the line shifting going on in practice and the recall of Carson it looks like we won't wait until the wheels fall off this year before we make some moves. It is way to early to tell what will work and what won't but the obvious problems with first line, defense and face-offs is being addressed. Well maybe not face-offs. Our skaters, youth and vets, are going to be fighting for their jobs throughout the early part of the season and as soon as they understand that the better off we might be. I look forward to seeing what we look like next game.

( I can hear remkin shouting we should have kept Cullin) and let Jussi get back on wing.

You can hear that too? I thought it was just in my head!

Anybody have any idea what the Canes are thinking about re: Skinner? Is he here to stay or just the first 9 games. I loved him in the 2nd game against the Wild, but I have to admit that the last two he hasn't been quite as tenacious. Neither has the rest of the team.

I think I'd take a stab at moving O'Sullivan and Skinner alongside Staal for a game to see how that pans out. I'm sick of seeing Cole fail to finish on breakaways... time to move him down to 3rd line.

What makes anyone think that Rutherford will change his mind about Skinner after a few games? He's already said that Skinner wasn't going back to Kitchner. It's not like he's stinking it up. He's going to be with the Canes all season. I'l be so glad when he's played his 10th game....

As to the rebuild....I'm still not at all convinced that Rutherford has the right pieces foe the rebuild puzzle. A bunch of pinching defensemen and a bunch of small skilled forwards. Neither of which we really need or Maurice knows how to utilize.

Edited by TheBigKahuna